Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - HP EliteBook 2760p Tablet PC ? [artist advice needed for this baby]

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > HP EliteBook 2760p Tablet PC ? [artist advice needed for this baby]
Pages: [1]

"HP EliteBook 2760p Tablet PC ? [artist advice needed for this baby]", 14th Apr 2012, 5:38 PM #1
Shaman♂

Referrals: 0
Registration date: 5th Feb 2010
What i want is the closest thing to a Cintiq tablet and laptop computer, all in one, and price is no issue. Is the "HP EliteBook 2760p Tablet PC" the holy grail or what? Does anybody here know about this/ has used it themselves/ has seen someone else use it with photoshop or any other graphic design software? I've been searching all over the place and i can't find any review or video showcasing anyone drawing with it. Can any comicfurian please throw me a bone on this one? :)
14th Apr 2012, 6:24 PM #2
Cyborg_572♂
M-M-M-Moderator
Registration date: 5th Dec 2008
The closest thing to that computer I've ever seen in action is the (now 4 years old) HP Pavillion tx2000, which is what I'm typing this on.

The only real issues I've had are:

- No friction with the pen (Probably have the same issue with a cintiq though)

- The "Pen and touch" screen on this one doesn't do multi-touch, but it's old. Anyway, the point is that the resistive screen has to be flexible, so hardened glass goes out the window and you get High-gloss plastic. Not a problem in controlled lighting, and hopefully fixed by now, but something to watch out for.

- The screen dimensions seem the same as this screen though, which is as many pixels as the smaller macbook air, or a new android tablet, and about the same physical size as a sheet of paper. It's a much better (crisper, taller) size than all these new 17" laptops with the 1366x768 screens.

- Ventillation. This has been the biggest issue for me. The problem with taking the full power of a larger laptop, and cramming it into something you're supposed to be able to use like a clipboard, is that airflow gets the boot. This laptop gets hot (and therefore slow) very fast. The saving grace is that bottom on this one is covered in grates, so a good cooling pad (more than one fan, flows air across the bottom, not just into it) works wonders, but that does reduce the portability a bit. Also, this one vents heat out the keyboard which means closing it (say, to draw on) reduces performance. That one looks a bit less streamlined though, so it probably actually has airflow.

- My teacher's like to touch things on the screen when helping. They forget that this computer responds to that. Not that they should be rubbing their fingers across the screen anyway.

- You can't use the keyboard and the tablet at the same time. It's an easy one to overlook.

- HP doesn't support Windows 7 on this machine (fine whatever, I use linux anyway)

On the plus side:

- 12inch Wacom tablet with a screen. Hard to get without spending a fortune.
- High-ish DPI screen, looks nicer than a lot of what's on the market right now.
- Touch screen is handy, especially if your used to a tablet and tend to poke things
- Tablet and screen are exactly the same shape.
- No need to carry a drawing tablet separately
- When working across the table from someone, the swivel on the screen is great for showing things.
- The elite doesn't have it, but the trackpad on this laptop is actually amazing. It's one of the reasons I've never upgraded to a new laptop.

I know it's not the same machine, but hopefully you still find this info helpful.
14th Apr 2012, 7:57 PM #3
Kay♂
formerly... someone else
Registration date: 29th Aug 2011
What I can tell from the images the only downside I found is that when you use the tablet form you completely lose the keyboard, and believe me keyboard shortcuts while drawing in programs like photoshop are highly useful and most importantly fast

away from that, looks good :)
14th Apr 2012, 8:40 PM #4
Shaman♂

Cyborg_572:The closest thing to that computer I've ever seen in action is the (now 4 years old) HP Pavillion tx2000, which is what I'm typing this on.

Cons:

- No friction with the pen
- High-gloss plastic
- Ventillation
- Touch things on the screen that this computer responds to
- You can't use the keyboard and the tablet at the same time
- HP doesn't support Windows 7 on this machine

Pros:

- 12inch Wacom tablet with a screen.
- High-ish DPI screen
- Touch screen is handy
- Tablet and screen are exactly the same shape.
- No need to carry a drawing tablet separately
- The trackpad on this laptop is actually amazing.

It IS very helpful actually, since i figure in four years time they must've improved a great deal! I know for a fact that this one is a Windows 7 machine so that's a plus for me at least. You bring up so many great things to look out for so i'm taking a shitload of notes i wouldn't ever have thought of. Thanks a million for that, you are a master :)

But so far with yours, you haven't had any issues with using any design software like photoshop? Does it screw up your work when your hand is leaning on the screen to draw in certain angles and what not?

Kike:What I can tell from the images the only downside I found is that when you use the tablet form you completely lose the keyboard, and believe me keyboard shortcuts while drawing in programs like photoshop are highly useful and most importantly fast away from that, looks good :)

Hmmm, that is also a great point. It's awesome that you brought it up especially for people here that might be interested in this PC and are used to using their keyboards while drawing. But i'm not very good at multi tasking so i've never used any keyboard shortcuts to save on time. I know i should get used to it if i ever want to make this a full time gig, but for the moment i don't think it's something i'll have a pet peeve with. Great looking out though!
14th Apr 2012, 9:57 PM #5
Cyborg_572♂
M-M-M-Moderator
Shaman:But so far with yours, you haven't had any issues with using any design software like photoshop? Does it screw up your work when your hand is leaning on the screen to draw in certain angles and what not?

I haven't had any more trouble than you'd expect from an overheating machine with a 2GHz processor and 3GB of ram running Windows Vista. The software usually disables the touch screen if the pen's close enough to control the mouse. However, if you lift the pen up far enough that the tablet can't sense it, the touch kicks in again. It is possible to just turn the touch sensor off entirely in the settings, but I've never felt the need to.

Friction issues aside, I don't think I've ever been disappointed with the quality of the Wacom features, just that some of the other hardware decisions make them hard to use for more than a few minutes at a time. When the machine was new I'd just use them anyway :P

One thing I forgot to mention though is that I've NEVER had to replace the tip on the stylus. As much of a pain as frictionless drawing is, it doesn't cause any wear & tear at all.
15th Apr 2012, 8:21 PM #6
Shaman♂

Thanks! That's great info and yeah, i agree about the frictionlessness of a touch screen. I haven't colored digitally enough for it to bother me yet i think. At least, i think it's something i would easily get used to. And not having to replace any parts is definitely a plus in my book ;)
15th Apr 2012, 9:01 PM #7
Magravan♂
Ma-Ma-Magravan!
Referrals: 26
Registration date: 13th Oct 2009
Not sure if it helps, but June bought special felt pen nibs to help give a different feeling for drawing on the Cintiq.. Is that something you've tried?
16th Apr 2012, 3:16 PM #8
Shaman♂

Magravan:Not sure if it helps, but June bought special felt pen nibs to help give a different feeling for drawing on the Cintiq.. Is that something you've tried?

I've never tried those actually. The only thing that would make me hesitent in trying them and probably eventually getting used to them is the fact that those need to be replaced and might eventually become discontinued. To tell you the truth, the only piece i've ever colored digitally was this:

And i used the Wacom ET-0405A-U Steel Blue Graphic Tablet to do it... which took me about oh i dunno, a full night's work! God that tablet sucks ass.

Edit: Then again, it WAS my first time using photoshop and all i had was my girlfriend showing me the ropes with it. Digital coloring wasn't her specialty in her comic book bachelor's. Trial and error takes for ever. Can't wait to get my Brian Miller Digital Coloring DVDs from amazon!
17th Apr 2012, 12:58 AM #9
Cyborg_572♂
M-M-M-Moderator
I've never found the lack of friction to be much of a problem when colouring, it's usually sketching and drawing where it gets me. You know, those things where you get extra control by digging the pencil into the paper a bit :P
17th Apr 2012, 3:30 PM #10
Shaman♂

Cyborg_572:I've never found the lack of friction to be much of a problem when colouring, it's usually sketching and drawing where it gets me. You know, those things where you get extra control by digging the pencil into the paper a bit :P

Oh cool! Cause i only sketch on paper and then scan it in. I'm glad it won't bother my coloring :))
17th Apr 2012, 5:47 PM #11
Cyborg_572♂
M-M-M-Moderator
That's my experience anyway, but I'm not exactly a detailed/experienced colorist. What I mean is I scribble like mad, and then zoom way in to make it look okay near the lines :P
18th Apr 2012, 6:31 PM #12
Shaman♂

The damn thing's price is really making me hesitate though... It's currently at 1 679 smackers. I know i said price wasn't an issue but i don't wanna pay 1679$ for something that a regular 500$ Tablet PC could give me. So now i have to wonder... do i absolutely need the keyboard? Do the latest Tablet PCs have photoshop on them and can you scan sketches into them? Or do you absolutely need a true PC for that? Fuck i'm a noob :P

Edit: Plus, what if they come right out with a 2780 model and drop the 2760's price right after i buy it? That would piss me right off.