Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - ComicFury turns 4 years old. turned 4 years old.

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > News & Announcements > ComicFury turns 4 years old. turned 4 years old.
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"ComicFury turns 4 years old. turned 4 years old.", 27th Jul 2012, 10:38 PM #1
Kyo♂
ComicFury Pretty Boy
Referrals: 0
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
Yes, the F-Word. Four. That's what people mean when they say "the F-Word", right? Anyway. It is an established tradition that I say a little something several days after ComicFury's birthday because I forgot to do so on it's actual birthday. Not this time, In fact at the time of writing the first draft, it's may. No more writing in panic, 8 days late. Now it all just depends on me putting the write-up... up in time. [Editor's note: that may have been a bit optimistic]

Did you ever notice how on every thread I post about the birthday a little later than the previous year? As usual I'll also look back on the previous posts a little, see how the site has changed and maybe even how I have changed. Talking about change, one thing hasn't changed a bit:
I listed a bunch of things in the first birthday thread, and last year I mentioned how I didn't do a single one. Well I still haven't-

wait!

first birthday thread:But enough about the past, let's look in the future:

I mentioned this in the layout guide thread, but I am looking to simplify layout building.
I want to make a help/tutorial section soon
ComicFury in several languages, this too is in the works.
I have many many other things planned which I've mentioned before, and I'm too lazy to mention them again. This is already a wall of text.

I did do that! I made the simple layout editor! Beta! YES! IN YOUR FACE, JEFFREY! U.S.A.! U.S.A.! I did also start translating the site to german. Granted that didn't really get done, but I started. That's better than what I could claim last year. Hey, another thing about the first year anniversary thread:

first birthday thread:That means we basically got 2 webcomics every single day, if they were distributed evenly over the year. That's nowhere near as good as what the major hosts are doing,

Look at that! We were doing shit, we were no good for nothing losers is what we were! And now we are one of the major hosts! Yesss! Let's look at the statistics:

Total Users 14723
Total Webcomics 11007
Total Webcomics (with ads) 2285
Total Non-empty Webcomics 7349
Total Non-empty Webcomics (with ads) 1698
Total Comics 190658
Total Threads 11589
Total Posts 272102
Total Comments 331949
Total Approved Comments 331576

That's pretty good, we got pretty much twice as many webcomics now. Cool! Let's look at just last month:

Webcomics created 346
Webcomics created (with ads) 99
Webcomics updated since 1294
Webcomics updated since (with ads) 412
Forum posts made 5077
Forum threads made 236
Ratings left 3459

So what happened in this year? I'm a bit fuzzy on what happened this year and what happened last year, but in any case, we gained many members. We got a simple layout editor for those who don't know how to HTML. I talk about the simple layout editor in the first year anniversary, but it's actually taken several years for it to get here. It's kind of a shame, because I always had the basic idea in my head. If you seperate your layout into a bunch of customizable boxes with content pieces, you can make a really customizable layout without using HTML at all. Like, customizable way beyond just changing the background image and navigation arrows (though both of these things are obviously also possible), a proper real layout with unique touches.

So I held off on that idea for several years, but then I Coded, tested and uploaded the first version of that editor in less than 24 hours, as a challenge to myself. I'm still pretty proud of that. To be honest a large motivator was just pissing on the competition, who was having a bit of trouble responding to user requests at the time. It's a bit vindictive, but you know. Whatever drives innovation. Okay, enough shameless bragging. I'm pretty sure that thread I linked is full of bragging too. Many things I am, but humble, at times, is not one of them.

It's kinda sad about the site, a corporate buyout just making everything worse. Funny thing, I had received an offer earlier this year actually. I didn't really think that'd ever happen (I mean I had received questions before, but I doubt anyone was really interested in paying more than maybe 1 - 2 grand, which would still be a loss for me, hosting costs and coding work at minimum wage considered). Anyway, I don't really see it that way. I like working on ComicFury, it's fun. I've met many new exciting people on here. I don't think I'd be comfortable with the idea of selling such a big part of my life. Even if I kept working on it, I'd no longer have creative control, and the ads on your comics would probably cease being on a voluntary basis. Anyway, I don't think that'll ever happen. We managed for four years, eh? Zuckerberg never lost control of facebook either. Not to liken myself to him, but we are exactly the same in every way.

One of the many benefits of being an independently run Webcomic Host is that we're allowed to make our newsposts say dumb shit, post them weeks too late and we're able to pull dumb april fools pranks, like showing a fake admin panel and then logging everything people will do when having the illusion of power. Good times. (For the record, that was last years april fools prank. This year, we made the site into a faux furry site, but had 20% of the users miss out on the experience entirely, to make their forum-going experience really fucking confusing. A multi-layered prank if you will.)

Man, that day I coded the simple layout editor. It's really weird, I remember the food I ate. It was pasta I cooked on the day prior. It's weird how doing something memorable burns the insignificant parts in your brain as well. Man, I can't believe ComicFury is really 4 years old. That's so weird. This thread is kinda rambly.

So what actually happened in year 4? We got a new mascot, the gator you see at the top of the page. That's pretty cool, right? The frenchman was kinda lame and outdated. We also got ipv6 support. I believe we're still the only webcomic host supporting ipv6. It's like our competition literally believes that the future doesn't exist. That's what they literally believe. This is not propaganda, I heard them say it, with their own tongues.
This may be propaganda.

We also completely switched over our template engine to a much more flexible and faster one, and immediately started innovating on that front. You can now compare variables to each other or static numbers or texts. You can loop through loops several times, and even in reverse. This gives you tons of new options for customizing your templates in innovative ways! Not to mention, it's much less typework than before, and dare I say more consistent? It's just all around greater!

Oh yeah, and we got rid of the last bit of flash-based-technology on the site. That may not mean much for a lot of you, but it means we're future-proof™!

Wow, so yeah. We're still the, in my opinion, best webcomic host. Still no ads, no costs, just webcomic hosting with an ever growing feature set. I got a lot planned for the future too! So hop on, enjoy the ride and make sure to always remember not to believe my lies and to take everything AFStaff says with a grain of salt. We are not trained medical professionals. All advice we give is wrong, and will kill you. Enjoy your ride.
27th Jul 2012, 10:48 PM #2
Unka John♂

Registration date: 6th Dec 2010
This doesn't confer any respectability on any of us, does it?

27th Jul 2012, 10:53 PM #3
Reginald Parr Esq.
2 Infractions
Registration date: 24th Nov 2011
This is one amazing achievement - best webcomic hosting site ever and everything you say up there is true apart from that one part which is totally wrong. I may be the most cynical person here, but you have made an old fool very happy in the 3ish years I've been here. Three cheers to you sir!

27th Jul 2012, 10:56 PM #4
Guybrush20X6♂

Registration date: 22nd Aug 2011
Happy Birthday. Next year I'll bring the cake but who was supposed to bring it this year?
27th Jul 2012, 10:59 PM #5
DSW♂
Cheater
Registration date: 28th Nov 2010
Happy birthday kyo and comic fury. I know it isn't Kyo's birthday, but I don't know Kyo's birthday so this works too.
27th Jul 2012, 11:02 PM #6
Fastbro♂
OJ
Registration date: 14th May 2011
Definitely the best webcomic host around, I honestly don't understand why some people still use sites like Drunk Duck. Well happy anniversary, I look forward to seeing what the future holds for ComicFury!
27th Jul 2012, 11:20 PM #7
MaNo♂

Registration date: 11th Nov 2011
Yay 4 years happy birthday Comic Fury! Also a well done for Kyo for keeping us in line, we love our admin!
27th Jul 2012, 11:29 PM #8
MatthewJA
MattyJA
Referrals: 19
Registration date: 26th Sep 2010
yesssss

first the internet
THEN THE WORLD
27th Jul 2012, 11:45 PM #9
Centcomm♀

Registration date: 5th May 2012
Happy B-day COMIC fury ! i for one am honored to be on this site - and thank you Kyo for making this SO easy to use - its amazing how difficult other sites can be , thank you!
28th Jul 2012, 12:16 AM #10
Wilson♂
Resident furry
Registration date: 26th Aug 2008
I will give you 1,000,000 Deutsche Marks for the keys to ComicFury.
28th Jul 2012, 12:23 AM #11
Magravan♂
Ma-Ma-Magravan!
Referrals: 26
Registration date: 13th Oct 2009
Wilson:I will give you 1,000,000 Deutsche Marks for the keys to ComicFury.

That's a high price to pay for the power to change your title :D

Happy Birthday, whenever it is / was for ComicFury! It's been a wonderful experience with lots of wonderful people. Let's hope that your questionably timed post next year will be full of even more successes.
28th Jul 2012, 12:28 AM #12
OnlyFoolsAndVikings♀
User
Registration date: 8th May 2011
It's not a high price at all :U Crafty, crafty Wilson.

Also happy womb emancipation day No.
Happy First horrible experience anniversary No.
Happy... fuck you, Comicfury.

edit: Oh wait, BetaDay. Let's do that.
28th Jul 2012, 12:38 AM #13
ryuskrew♂

Registration date: 18th Jul 2011
Hi Comicfury, you are such a cute baby child, i love you so many times and you should stay alive for a long time if not forever.
28th Jul 2012, 12:46 AM #14
locnes

Registration date: 23rd Jun 2012
Happy Birthday ComicFury. This site is truly awesome and you especially have been great in responding to random questions about HTML5 and youtube videos ... lol

You guys are doing a truly AMAZING job. It's great to have a place to link with like-minded individuals with out the BS that you get elsewhere.

Co-incidence, it's my birthday too. We'll party together ... LOL
28th Jul 2012, 1:07 AM #15
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
Registration date: 20th Dec 2009
Fastbro:Definitely the best webcomic host around, I honestly don't understand why some people still use sites like Drunk Duck.
'Cause they don't realize just how awesome ComicFury is, that's why. :P

Good community, responsive admins, and a never-ending quest to better the site. What more could you ask for? ;)
28th Jul 2012, 1:17 AM #16
Micheal

Registration date: 2nd May 2010
Congratulations on 4 years of bad ass innovation. The delete button is still my favorite feature and thanks for not selling our accounts and properties therein to corporate monsters.
28th Jul 2012, 1:34 AM #17
Ty Clay♂

Registration date: 20th Jun 2012
Yay! Happy birthday ComicFury! I've only been here for a little over a month, and already know that this is the best host! EXCLAMATION POINT!
28th Jul 2012, 2:42 AM #18
CrackaWindow♂

Registration date: 18th Jan 2012
Oh man. This site has come so far. What an interesting read. Happy (belated) birthday, CF!
28th Jul 2012, 2:44 AM #19
Jsoma♂

Registration date: 11th May 2011
Guybrush20X6:Next year I'll bring the cake but who was supposed to bring it this year?

Oh crap, was I the one who was supposed to bring the cake?!

But whatever. WHOOO!!! Happy birthday CF!!
28th Jul 2012, 2:45 AM #20
mushroomisland♀

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2010
Happy birthday, comic fury :D:D:D
I must say, your achievements are something you should be proud of. This site is the best host out there, and constantly growing and improving. I was at first actually suspicious of this place because it looked sketchy (the Frenchman looked very odd) but after years I can see why it's so much better here :) (especially the no-ad part)

Back with vengeance :P
Forum > News & Announcements > ComicFury turns 4 years old. turned 4 years old.
Pages: [1] [2] [3]