Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - What's the scariest movie you've seen?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > What's the scariest movie you've seen?
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]

"What's the scariest movie you've seen?", 12th Sep 2012, 8:03 PM #1
sawyerLUVSyou♀

Referrals: 0
Registration date: 7th Feb 2010
(I have this weird feeling like this has been discussed already... Oh well.)

Everyone loves horror movies! Okay, not really, but there are people who do. Some people can watch the most hardcore horrors and not feel anything, and others will watch something that's mild and be horrified.
I'm always on a quest to watch the scariest movie, not necessarily the goriest though. Gore isn't usually scary... it's just gross. >.>
So, my question is... What's the scariest movie you've seen and why? How did it affect you? And do you consider gore to be scary or just a shock moment?

Also, I added links to pics of the parts that creeped me out, so everyone else can have a minor heart attack. :3 (Looking at them made me freaked. >.>)

There have only been two movies in my older teen/young adult life so far that have scared me. The Amityville Horror remake was the first one. I watched it with my sister when I was 16 and she was 11. We lived in this huge two story house that we were usually alone in. Swear that place was haunted or something. It had so many weird things happen. ANYWAY, we watched that movie and there were a lot of creepy faces and jump moments that freaked us out. At the end, it showed this ghost girl who opened her mouth and screamed (GIF for your viewing pleasure). We wanted to turn the tv off, but we were both kinda paralyzed with fear. Finally, I jumped on the floor and opened the disc tray while looking away from the tv. We sat there in silence, then turned the tv back to Nickelodeon or w/e she watched back then.
That movie stuck with us for the next few weeks. I'd be paranoid to look in a mirror or be home alone. I kept all the lights on at night and stayed away from the stairs. My sister didn't live with us, and my dad was always working, so I was home alone a lot. I had the master bedroom upstairs, and my dad slept downstairs. I had huge mirrors in my bathroom, and a walk in closet behind it. My bed was right around the corner of the bathroom, so to turn the lights on, I had to face the dark bathroom and the mirrors. It freaked me out too much, so I slept with the bathroom lights on. It still didn't help me sleep well.
I started having a habit of waking up RIGHT before 3:15am. In the movie, 3:15am was when all the ghostly creepy stuff happened. I'd wake up, see the time, and freak out. I called my friends, who were trying to sleep, and I'd want them to talk to me until it was after 3:15.
I found out that my sister had the same sleeping problems, too, and she was too scared to sleep.
A year after that, I watched the movie with my friends. I told them how horrifying it was, but after we watched it, I was unaffected. -.- They didn't find it scary at all either.

The second movie was The Strangers. It's based off of a real event, where a family was staying in a cabin. The daughter stayed in her friend's cabin, then found out in the morning that her family in the other one had been slaughtered by some guy who broke in.
The part where the woman is just standing in the middle of the room, and one of the masked men just walks out and stands behind her (HERE), then leaves, made my blood run cold.
The movie was something that can happen irl, so it freaked me out. I always keep the doors locked anyway, but I made sure that everything was locked up before we left or went to bed.
One day my ex bf was at work, it was late at night (1am or so), and I was telling my friend about the movie. We lived in a ghetto type complex, so there were always weird people. As I was telling her, someone tried opening the door. I was freaked out, but I thought maybe it was a mistake... until the person tried to open it more violently. They gave up and left, but it scared me so much. x.x

Actually, there was a third movie that scared me. xD Insidious.
Demons that are with you, but you don't noticed them until too late, scares me. Demons would just show up behind the characters (Like this), and holy crap. Makes me paranoid to look in the dark corners of a room.
The other part that scared me in it was when the father went to the spirit realm and there was a room with creepy mannequin dolls. Then there's just a shot of one of their faces filling up the screen (Here's the face. x.x ). I shrieked and had to pause it because I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. My boyfriend was unaffected, but our roommate was scared, too. xD
I was paranoid of the stairs, dark rooms, and being alone in the apartment again because of this.

As for gore... I don't think it makes a movie scary. There might be some gore that's scary, but most of the time that's not what makes a horror movie. Usually I'm just squeamish and want it to get on with the story. Realistic things, or demonic/ghostly presences are scarier to me.
12th Sep 2012, 8:10 PM #2
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
Registration date: 20th Dec 2009
sawyerLUVSyou:Some people can watch the most hardcore horrors and not feel anything.
This is me. I might be startled (I'm easily disturbed--I can be working on anything on my computer, and if someone addresses me [especially if they say my name], I literally jump up a little bit and my heart rate accelerates), and even if I know it's coming (I always do; there's only so many ways you can horrify your audience; the very act of trying to catch people off-guard is itself a cliche, so even in seemingly-calm moments, I know what's coming), there will probably be that little jump, as an instinctive response to it.

...But I don't really feel scared at all. It's just a, "whoa" moment, which fades seconds later after it happens. Heck, watching a classic horror film like Jaws doesn't even feel like it's horror at all--it's more like an adventure film to me.
12th Sep 2012, 8:18 PM #3
sawyerLUVSyou♀

ranger_brian_new:
sawyerLUVSyou:Some people can watch the most hardcore horrors and not feel anything.
This is me. I might be startled (I'm easily disturbed--I can be working on anything on my computer, and if someone addresses me [especially if they say my name], I literally jump up a little bit and my heart rate accelerates), and even if I know it's coming (I always do; there's only so many ways you can horrify your audience; the very act of trying to catch people off-guard is itself a cliche, so even in seemingly-calm moments, I know what's coming), there will probably be that little jump, as an instinctive response to it.

...But I don't really feel scared at all. It's just a, "whoa" moment, which fades seconds later after it happens. Heck, watching a classic horror film like Jaws doesn't even feel like it's horror at all--it's more like an adventure film to me.

Jaws didn't seem like a horror to me at all. o.o The only parts that made me jump were the dead guy's head in the overturned boat, and when the shark appeared behind Whatshisname near the end. I was interested in the story more than anything. xD
12th Sep 2012, 8:19 PM #4
Sabrini Fur♀
MAGICAL
Registration date: 16th Feb 2012
I'm not easily scared, but the ORIGINAL Ju-On creeps me right the fuck out.

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO
12th Sep 2012, 9:12 PM #5
DSW♂
Cheater
Registration date: 28th Nov 2010
Eraserhead spooked me pretty good. Tetsuo The Iron Man wasn't so much scary as it was insanely graphic. Begotten's opening sequence is promisingly creepy but the dramatic plot twist of it being a shitty movie ruins that.

John Carpenter's The Thing actually creeped me out the most, mostly because of the fucking dog kennel scene.
12th Sep 2012, 9:20 PM #6
Centcomm♀

Registration date: 5th May 2012
This is the only movie that ever scared me silly - i was freaking checking under the bed and everything its a STUPID lame movie called " Trilogy of Terror " and this STUPID zuni doll scared me silly.

the rest .. pretty much meh.. the scene where the bloody thing is sliceing the knife back and forth under the door had me almost wetting myself .... >_< ( did I mention I was like 8 - ish or something not really sure I think I blocked that part of my memory.
12th Sep 2012, 9:31 PM #7
Mr. Capps♂
Actually we apologize for jack shit, we're just telling it how it is
Registration date: 1st Aug 2010
yeah, the strangers sure was based on a true story. but very loosely.

As a kid, I lived in a house on a street in the middle of nowhere. One night, while our parents were out, somebody knocked on the front door and my little sister answered it. At the door were some people asking for somebody who didn't live there. We later found out that these people were knocking on doors on the area and, if no one was home, breaking into the houses".

From Bryan Bertino, the director of the film.

12th Sep 2012, 9:35 PM #8
sawyerLUVSyou♀

Centcomm:This is the only movie that ever scared me silly - i was freaking checking under the bed and everything its a STUPID lame movie called " Trilogy of Terror " and this STUPID zuni doll scared me silly.

the rest .. pretty much meh.. the scene where the bloody thing is sliceing the knife back and forth under the door had me almost wetting myself .... >_< ( did I mention I was like 8 - ish or something not really sure I think I blocked that part of my memory.

...Omg, now I kinda want to watch this. xD

@Mr. Capps Here's the case that also helped the movie come to life: Keddie Murders.

My sister used to be terrified of the Gremlins movies when she was younger. Idk if she still is.
Also, this movie called Ghoulies had a cover of one of the monsters coming out of the toilet, so after seeing that, she was too scared to go to the bathroom by herself.
12th Sep 2012, 9:37 PM #9
Mr. Capps♂
Actually we apologize for jack shit, we're just telling it how it is
Registration date: 1st Aug 2010
how many films besides the found footage genre still attempt the base on a true story thing, nowadays? I assume its probably still pretty common with straight to shelf releases, but it seems to have drop some favor.
12th Sep 2012, 9:54 PM #10
snarkington♂
chillest thought policeman
Registration date: 8th May 2012
DSW:John Carpenter's The Thing actually creeped me out the most, mostly because of the fucking dog kennel scene.

I'll chime in for this one. That's probably my favorite horror movie.

I also watched the animated Gyo recently, and that was. Well. Smelly fish with legs that infect you with smelly. It's hard to put my finger on what was so disturbing about it, but I did end up with nightmares about smelly fish crawling everywhere, and that's gotta count for something.
[Want your comic critiqued?][tumblr]
12th Sep 2012, 9:59 PM #11
Reginald Parr Esq.
2 Infractions
Registration date: 24th Nov 2011
Horror is a great genre because it both creates metaphors that allow us to explore hidden corners of our subconscious minds - the monsters if you will, as well as reflecting the concerns of the time in which it is created, as in Frankenstein's focus on science vs humanity at a time when science was calling into question all kinds of long held beliefs.

Scares are just cheap thrills and I don't rate them much. Having said that, after watching Doctor Terror's House Of Horrors as a kid, it was probably a good 12 months before I could go to bed without checking for dismembered hands crawling about in dark corners.

12th Sep 2012, 10:02 PM #12
OnlyFoolsAndVikings♀
User
Registration date: 8th May 2011
I loooove horror movies, ahhh.

So far, the creepiest/wtf movie I have seen has been Wolf Creek, and it was actually not that bad. It was mostly that the serial killer in it (based off Ivan Millat) looked and sounded exactly like my neighbor who was stalking my mum at the time.

Also holy fuck it was so gory and ahhh

Also, any Japanese Horror movie, they just... they just fuck with your miiiiind.
12th Sep 2012, 10:09 PM #13
Hayroon♂

Registration date: 15th Feb 2012
I don't watch too many horror movies, and when I do they're either schlock-fests or old black and white ones, but I was unfortunate enough to see Child's Play at a young age, and that damn doll still creeps me out. Some people have told me that it's not scary and that I should get over it, but I just have this horrible phobia of dolls.
12th Sep 2012, 10:15 PM #14
sawyerLUVSyou♀

Hayroon:I don't watch too many horror movies, and when I do they're either schlock-fests or old black and white ones, but I was unfortunate enough to see Child's Play at a young age, and that damn doll still creeps me out. Some people have told me that it's not scary and that I should get over it, but I just have this horrible phobia of dolls.

Yeah, Child's Play scared me when I was a kid. xD I never watched it though.
I watched it recently and it really wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. Kinda dark comedy.
My dad always said he'd just kick Chuckie's head off or beat him with a shovel if he saw the doll irl.

@Fools A lot of Japanese ones are just creepy in their tone. xD Here's a really short Tales of Terror video that creeped me out for some reason... (My sister didn't think it was scary at all)
Shadows Sitting By Their Feet

@snarkington Gyo's by Junji Ito, who did Uzumaki also. :O I love Uzumaki (the manga). It was also turned into a live action movie. You should check it out. :3
12th Sep 2012, 10:37 PM #15
moizmad♀

Registration date: 25th Apr 2010
Wow, now we're talking! I love to be scared sh*tless, unfortunately very few movies succeed.
I was going to make a TOP 10 list but after much brain-storming, I can't find 10. I find most horror movies hilarious, they're so stupid. However, here's the best I can do.
ALIEN
THE STRANGERS
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY
FUNNY GAMES

12th Sep 2012, 10:38 PM #16
Sabrini Fur♀
MAGICAL
Registration date: 16th Feb 2012
sawyerLUVSyou:@snarkington Gyo's by Junji Ito, who did Uzumaki also. :O I love Uzumaki (the manga). It was also turned into a live action movie. You should check it out. :3

I love Junji!!! Spirals...look into the spirals...

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO
12th Sep 2012, 10:39 PM #17
machinehead♂

Registration date: 7th Dec 2008
Hellraiser scared me as a kid. That movie was just too weird and messed up for a six year old. As an adult I really like it and rarely pee the bed after I watch it.
Child's play was also another one that freaked me out. They had those "My Buddy" toys in the 80's that reminded me of Chucky. After that movie any doll over 2 feet tall scared the crap out of me.
12th Sep 2012, 10:52 PM #18
Draginbeard♂

Registration date: 22nd Jan 2012
When l was 10, l saw my first true horror movie.

It was a saturday night, 11pm shown on a much loved program called 'creature features', hosted by Bob Wilkens. The movie was the original 1968 Night of the Living Dead. Half way through l could swear l could see shadows shambling around outside the window (it was a very windy autumn night) l made the daring and heart pounding race down the hall to my bedroom. When l returned to the living room, l was well armed (my trusty pump action Bebee gun across my lap) determined to see the rest of the movie. I did not sleep well for days after that.
12th Sep 2012, 11:00 PM #19
snarkington♂
chillest thought policeman
Registration date: 8th May 2012
sawyerLUVSyou:@snarkington Gyo's by Junji Ito, who did Uzumaki also. :O I love Uzumaki (the manga). It was also turned into a live action movie. You should check it out. :3

Yeah, I'm a big Junji Ito fan. I liked Uzumaki a lot better than Gyo, though. And I thought the movie of Gyo did a better job than the Gyo manga in a lot of respects. The movie made the girl the hero, for one, while in the manga she was just a girlfriend/victim.

Ah, memories of reading Uzumaki the first time, muttering about spirals wherever I went. Good times. My friends still don't like it when I say "spirals" and they never read the thing.
[Want your comic critiqued?][tumblr]
12th Sep 2012, 11:04 PM #20
Kupocake

Registration date: 14th Mar 2012
The first horror film I've ever watched was Poltergeist, which wasn't that scary up until that scene where the guy's face was rotting off in the sink. But the film that made a really lasting impact on me was The Others starring Nicole Kidman, it just got me on sheer mood alone.

I had the unfortunate experience of watching Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer half a year ago, and while it wasn't necessarily scary, I felt like throwing up afterward from just how gruesome it was.
Updates Tuesdays!
Forum > General discussion > What's the scariest movie you've seen?
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]