Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Does ram affect css?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Layouts, HTML, CSS & Javascript > Does ram affect css?
Pages: [1]

"Does ram affect css?", 4th Dec 2012, 12:12 AM #1
TMDgraphics♂

Referrals: 0
Registration date: 17th Nov 2011
If I used fixed positioning to place a background and it works on all the browsers on my computer but several other computers are experiencing the background jumping into place, is it possible that this is an issue due to those other computer's ram??

Here is an example

shrink your browser some and scroll horizontally. If you dont see jumping, then you see it correctly.

I have been told that fire fox experiences this. Firefox on my computer does not. My girlfriend's iphone does not but my playstation vita does. The only possible reason I can think of is ram. Maybe a low memory device is loading the background slowly when scrolling.

I chose to use fixed positioning because of a previous problem I was having with 100% height. I could have looked all over for a solution but fixed just seemed to work faster. Dont judge!

Anybody have any knowledge on this?? It barely bothers me at all.
4th Dec 2012, 6:21 PM #2
Robotwin.com♂

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
It's not ram, rather it's the browser's rendering engine; there's a few out there and they all behave a little differently. In my experience, WebKit (Chrome & Apple use it) has been the best, and even it has room for improvement. It could be your version of Firefox is different from your friends'.
4th Dec 2012, 11:29 PM #3
TMDgraphics♂

Bummer. So Ill just live with it for now. Come back to it later then. Ill probably eventually come back and use browser specific css sense im having varying results. Its not a major issue in my opinion since like you said they have a different browser version so I can only assume which browsers might be used and come up with separate css for those with issues.

Thanks for the help.
5th Dec 2012, 1:35 PM #4
Dodom♀

Registration date: 6th Sep 2009
I know you said don't judge, but I still don't see why using a fixed position...
You can make the background repeat in "y" only, and center it. Since your margins are white, you can just set the background colour to white and no matter how wide one's screen is it'll never overflow.

background-repeat:repeat-y;
background-position:top center;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
9th Dec 2012, 4:58 AM #5
TMDgraphics♂

You know I see how it appears to be a mistake that Im using fixed, but its not. Trust me. I found a way to fix the issues. I am using fixed for a reason. I really dont wanna go into it. When I apply all of the changes, itll look good. trust me ;)

There are several ways to do things in life and get similar results. Some of the code I used messes stuff up if I dont use fixed. I did not used fixed when I started but converted it when the conflicting codes messed things up. Its not the prefferred way to do it, but its my way and when its done, itll work.
9th Dec 2012, 5:02 AM #6
MatthewJA
MattyJA
Referrals: 19
Registration date: 26th Sep 2010
itll work

not on small screens it won't
(and that's not an arguable point, it literally will not work)
9th Dec 2012, 6:21 AM #7
TMDgraphics♂

You people with small screens have to get use to using a mobile version of a site, seeing things messed up and scrunched or having to scroll on a site.

I DONT CARE IF YOU USE PERCENTAGES OR NOT, IT IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE AN ENTIRE SITE THAT WORKS ON EVERY SIZE MONITOR POSSIBLE WITHOUT LACKING CONTENT FOR BIGGER SCREENS. The exception to this rule is if you build special versions of your site for special screens. Please dont argue this, I dont care. Im not making extra changes cause you wont give it up.

Gosh, honestly guys, get off the subject! I dont care if my users have to scroll a little bit or if theres a little extra white.

And I dont care about your opinion of me not caring.

Way to change the subject of this thread and get off topic guys. Im actually done responding to this thread now.
9th Dec 2012, 1:24 PM #8
Dodom♀

Registration date: 6th Sep 2009
You know, when someone pointed out that my menu fell in a strange place on large screen, it took some trial and error to fix it, but it worked. I could have failed, but any half-decent webmaster gives a damn about user experience. If it still looks all wrong* on some machines, well I sure hope somebody will tell me!
Different broswers, different screens, different systems, hell even different visitors! That's a part of life if you want to produce online content.

Not being skilled enough to make a stretchy site is one thing. Thinking it can't be done is another. Throwing a fit because people tell you it can be done is ridiculous. Your layout is simple and would be easy to fix, you'd be smarter to ask for help than to get defensive about it!

Try not to let your readers know this is what you said in that last post. Nobody is forced to get used to lateral scrolling, or to hissy fits when somebody points it out: they also have the option of not reading it.

And finally, you know what, while we're at it: get rid of that horrible top banner. I don't think the "Geocities site" look is what you're going for.

*: Deciding my source code looks all wrong even though it opened fine doesn't count.**

**: See that? I can accept to adapt to users and still draw a line somewhere. Yep there is such a thing, fixing an issue or two doesn't make you the user's slave! So stop being so defensive!
9th Dec 2012, 3:30 PM #9
Kyo♂
ComicFury Pretty Boy
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
just give it up you guys

you are wasting your time

tmd has made it clear on more than one occasion that he doesn't care about the viewing experience of anyone but himself. You can of course choose if you wish to spend your time giving help to such a fruitless endeavour