Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - ComicFury Forum/Comic FAQ

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"ComicFury Forum/Comic FAQ", 10th Mar 2015, 9:27 PM #1
Nama
J
Referrals: 0
Registration date: 15th Nov 2012
With the noticeably high rise in repetitive questions lately, I have decided to make a thread dedicated to answering them without needing to post a new thread. (How nice of me)

This will work by me answering FAQs. If I miss any or if any new ones arise, feel free to post them in a comment or PM them to me. Make sure you read through the entire list of questions before posting as some could be answered in a question that they are related to.

And remember, there's no shame in not knowing these questions. That's why this is here.

Before we begin, here are the Forum posting rules and guidelines, brought to you by the one and only MatthewJA: Forum Rules

Here are also some rules about the site in general that might answer some questions you might have Comicfury Rules
-----------------------------------------
Things that can be done via PMing Kyo
Some questions that are asked a lot all lead to simply PMing the site Admin. Just shoot Kyo a PM asking him to change/ set whatever you want. He'll do it as soon as he can. Though this will take time he is a busy bee gator. Don't feel nervous, he's friendly.

Changing your User/Forum name
Changing Email
Setting up a custom domain for your comic

Questions of the questions:
What are Hits?
What are subscribers?
How do I know if someone comments on my comic?
How do I add a signature?
How do I add a tagline(usertitle)?
Are the types of people who ask these questions the type of people who would find the FAQ?
What does it mean for a comic to be "Popular?"
What are Referrals?
What is Comic Rocket?
What are these Disciple things?
Who are the current Mods?
Forum/Comic Search?
Comic did not show up in the "Recently Updated" tab
All threads are showing up as a new post
What is this Strudelboard thing?

-----------------------------------------

What are hits?

Excellent question! Allow me to fill your tiny little mind with the answer to the most asked question on ComicFury.

In the webcomic statistics, you will find a line graph that has two separate lines. One for hits and one for visitors. Many people often wonder what in the bloody hell this is and that is what I am going to tell you.

A hit (blue) is the number of pages viewed in total by everyone who visited your site. For example: I read 4 pages of GSICD, the number of hits will increase by 4.

A visitor (Yellowish orange thing whocares) is the number of individual people who looked at your site that day. For example: Using the same situation as above where I read GSICD 4 times, the orange-yellow line will increase by one, regardless of how many times I look at a page.

To simplify things: Hits=Individual page view whereas Visitors=Individual people (Or IP addresses.)

What are Subscribers?

A less common question, but still a good one to ask.

Subscribers are the people who are subscribed to a comic. This means that they will receive an update in their Subscriptions tab of the front page whenever their subscription updates with a new comic.

Subscribers are sometimes used by people to measure popularity, this is not the case sometimes. Yes, it is true the more popular comics such as Wake the Sleepers or Seed may have a bountiful amount of subscribers, not all popular comics have that many. We will explore how the popularity system works later on in the post, for now let us move on.

How do I know if someone comments on my comic or replies to a comment?

This is a question I have a hard time thinking anyone would need to ask, but I will put it in here anyway.

When someone replies to a comment you made, be it on your own comic or someone else's, or they comment on your comic, you will receive an update in "My Updates." This will be below any thread updates you may have.

How do I add a signature?

The good ol' signature question. A signature can be made by going into the "Account Settings" and clicking on "Edit your Profile." At the bottom of the page there will be a text box in which you can impart your glorious signature for all to see. HOWEVER. If you plan on adding a banner for your comic there are max dimensions you must follow. These dimensions are 500x90px. You can achieve this by working on a large scale and then re-size it to a 500x90px image. Then just throw it in there and you're good to go!

If you're confused as to how you add an image into your signature, simply upload the image onto an image sharing site (Imgur for example) or as an extra file on your comic and copy the image link. Then add it to your signature like so:
[img]http://www.Samplesite.com/imageplace.jpg[/img]

Please not that it must end in the file extension (.jpg .png .gif etc)

If you want to make it so that the image itself is a link to you comic, then surround the
[img]http://www.Samplesite.com/imageplace.jpg[/img]
with
[url=yourcomicsite's link][/url]

How do I add a Tagline(Usertitle)?

Sadly, you cannot. What would be the magic in having one if everyone could have one?

So how do you get them? The easiest way to get a Usertitle is to switch your name on the forums by PMing kyo and asking him to. He will then add a title saying "Formerly such and such" I do not recommend this as you will be stuck with that name.

Do not PM Kyo and ask him for a title as your request will most definitely be met with a "No."

If you want one as cool as mine, you just have to hang out! Be a part of the community for years to come! Not only will you enjoy getting to know the place, we'll enjoy getting to know you.

Are the types of people who ask these questions likely to find this FAQ?

Rude.

I do think they will find it. Maybe if it gets a sticky even more people will find it. (Cough cough) Thank you, Kyo. :D

What does it mean to be popular?

As you have already seen (if you haven't I don't know what's wrong with you) there are two tabs on the front page. One marked "Popular now" and "Popular Overall."

These are the comics that have the highest amount of visitors and the highest rating per visitor. In a nutshell: popular with the masses. "Popular Now" is as it sounds, popular for that current time. Often these will change when a new comic that is accumulating many visitors and high ratings starts.

The "Popular Overall" is a much harder nut to crack. Essentially, it's like Popular Now only over a long span of time.

Before you go saying "But how do I become popular?" Let me stop you and say this: You don't become popular overnight. Making a successful comic is extremely hard and requires tremendous amounts of effort. It's not all about the stats or how popular you are on the forums.

Kyo:popular now is based on recent ratings, but the algorithm tallies up points/positive ratings rather than work based on an average. If you say you got pushed off by negative ratings anyway, then that is a bug (or a coincidence) - I'll look into and report back.

The reason we don't factor in negative ratings (or at least, it's not supposed to factor in negative ratings) is pretty simple. someone can just rate every comic that has a righer rank than theirs badly to get to the top of popular now.

Moving on

As I mentioned before in the Subscribers question, being popular isn't about having the most amount of subscribers. However, subscribers can have a very big impact on it. As people subscribe, the comic gets more views and more ratings. Thus, leading to it becoming popular.

What are Referrals?

A referral is something you can get when you recommend ComicFury to someone. When they sign up with your referral link, you will receive a referral.

-Where is the referral link?

Your referral link is the same for everyone except for one small detail.

http://comicfury.com/?r_in=[your user ID here]

To find you user id, simply copy the image url of your avatar and paste it somewhere. Take out the number at the end of the url and put it at the end of the referral url.

What is Comic Rocket?

The following is taken from Comic Rocket's "About" page.

ComicRocket:Comic Rocket is a crowd-sourced indexing tool for users to find, read, bookmark and share their favorite webcomics. Users maintain reading lists that track their place in the archive of each comic as well as how many pages they have left to read.

Comic Rocket displays each comic with our navigation toolbar at the top of the page. Our nav tools maintain the reader's place inside the index for the comic they're viewing. Readers may also search for more comics with our search engine or via the Explore page. Users will also get recommendations shown to them based on their choices and other readers' behavior. If they like the comics they are offered they can add them to their list and start reading immediately.

When readers find a new webcomic to read they can add it to our collection and we will begin indexing it and archiving it within the hour. If anyone, creator or reader, has relevant information about a webcomic they can add it to our database or edit what is already there. If the creator has banner graphics for their comic, or convention appearance and online store information, they can send that to us to upload as well. However, because users are adding comics all the time, Comic Rocket can't notify creators that they have been added to the list. We do not control what comics our users add but we will remove any comic that its creator asks us to if they do not wish to be included by Comic Rocket.

Readers aren't the only people to benefit from Comic Rocket. Creators, you will get exposure to a fast-growing, dedicated community who are all targeted consumers. Readers receive recommendations from the system based on user behavior but they also share comics they like with each other and the world via social media. Readers who might not otherwise try your comics will be encouraged to do so without having to discover you in the wild.

Basically, ComicRocket is a helpful website that provides free exposure of your comic to an enormous community from all over the world. They are not stealing your comic, nor are they trying to by having you sign up. You can claim it as your own or even tell them to take it down.

What are disciples?
They are stupid things you can find here.
Bolderousness:Really, disciples are like trading cards that are all one of a kind and you're only limited to your three favorites. You send an invitation to someone, it'll show up as a PM, and if they accept it, they'll be a disciple listed on your profile - with a creative description you can make for 'em.

That's really it. That's really all it is.
Enjoy.

Who/ What are the mods?

Mods are the police of the forums. They'll handle any rule breaking on the forums or in comics. But they need your help. Should you stumble upon a (recent) post that breaks forum rules, press the little "report post" button below the post. The current mods are MatthewJA, DaMoreFishy, Kyo, et Moi.

Dedicated search features for Comics or Forums?

A common question that is asked here is where a person can search through the vast archive of comics or forum threads on the site. And there are ways! To search for a comic, click on "Advanced Search" in the top right corner of the screen below the search bar. (Or you could use the search bar but that's mostly for finding a specific comic that you already know of. I recommend the advance search either way.)

To find the forum thread search, go to the Forum tab and select any sub forum (The search feature searches them all) and click on "Forum Search" right next to "New Thread". You'll get a field to enter whatever you want. The only problem with this (Kyo is addressing it, but he is a busy guy so leave him be.) is that you can only search for key words in a post. You can't search for a thread title, you can't search for posts by a user (To do this, go to the user's profile and click on "Find posts by the user" At the bottom of the profile page.) and you can't search for a sentence. Only Keywords.

Your best bet for searching the forums as of right now is to to simply use your search engine and search for what you think the thread title may be. Please note if the thread is older than 2 weeks or dead (Not active, not being posted in, conversation has ended), refrain from posting in it. If you want to continue on with the conversation, simply start a new thread with your own question of topic addressing the previous thread's question or topic.

Comic did not show up in "Recently Updated"

This can happen some times. Most of the time it is due to ComicFury simple screwing up when you've set a release time that isn't the present (You scheduled an update rather than posting it right away.) Normally this will only happen once in a very long while, but should it continue to happen continuously and repetitively, PM Kyo with the issue as it could be an issue with the comic or you may have violated a rule

All threads are showing up as being unread/having new posts
This is an uncommon occurrence but a known one. Something to do with the forum screwing up and marking things as 0 views for your account or something along those lines. but anyway, Kyo is aware of the issue but doesn't know how to go about fixing it. As such there is a "Mark all forums as read" link at the bottom of the forums page for you to use should it happen.

What is this Strudelboard thing?
Something that I've actually been asked about quite a lot so I figured why not add it here. The Strudelboard is a ridiculous name, made by people on the board, for the Comicfury noticeboard. it is simply a nickname for it. The noticeboard itself is a chat of sorts that was created to reduce forum clutter of general conversation that doesn't actually lead anywhere or aim to make a point. If you want to talk about nonsense, go and head on over to the noticeboard. Forum rules apply, forum guidelines do not. Do not use it to advertise your comic.
10th Mar 2015, 9:29 PM #2
Seeen♀

Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙̈̉̏̎͑̐͞ ͕̳k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩̊̅͡ ͓̠ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹ ̥͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆iͫͯ ͕̗̲̘͕̮̪̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̎͗͠ ̥̟̬̜̬rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w ̲̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ̫ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
How do I make a thread?
10th Mar 2015, 9:29 PM #3
inky♀
blood princess
Referrals: 1
Registration date: 15th Oct 2011
What means "hit" the statistics? Am I going to be hurt?
10th Mar 2015, 9:30 PM #4
LeRenardRoux♀
Sqaljjlmzonq
Registration date: 27th Jul 2013
Location: at the bottom of a stair whose top is invisible with light
Black and white or color? When should I updated?
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
10th Mar 2015, 9:32 PM #5
Binyamin♂
bad faith
Registration date: 17th Apr 2014
For opinion type questions, like the ones mentioned by Roux, it might pay to link a bunch of threads that discuss them.
10th Mar 2015, 9:32 PM #6
Kyo♂
family life
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
the question is "are the types of people who ask these questions the type of people who would find the FAQ?"

and in some cases i might be able to solve the underlying problem (e.g. renaming hits to something else)
10th Mar 2015, 9:32 PM #7
inky♀
blood princess
Seeen:How do I make a thread?

And how do I respond to a thread?

And who is the admin? <--- actually answer that one because people probably don't know

And what do I do here?

And how many questions can I ask before I break the unspoken norms of this site and thread?
10th Mar 2015, 9:34 PM #8
Seeen♀

Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙̈̉̏̎͑̐͞ ͕̳k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩̊̅͡ ͓̠ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹ ̥͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆iͫͯ ͕̗̲̘͕̮̪̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̎͗͠ ̥̟̬̜̬rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w ̲̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ̫ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
How do I read?
10th Mar 2015, 9:34 PM #9
Nama
J
Kyo:the question is "are the types of people who ask these questions the type of people who would find the FAQ?"

and in some cases i might be able to solve the underlying problem (e.g. renaming hits to something else)

Don't ruin this for me.
10th Mar 2015, 9:35 PM #10
LeRenardRoux♀
Sqaljjlmzonq
Registration date: 27th Jul 2013
Location: at the bottom of a stair whose top is invisible with light
How do I get my own domain name?

I would like to recommend changing the name of hits to 'unicorn tears.' Clears everything up.
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
10th Mar 2015, 9:48 PM #11
Seabiscuit♀
mattress of pork aspiration
Registration date: 14th Jan 2014
Maybe questions about like, the difference between popular now and popular overall and how they work?

But I have a feeling people asking the questions won't find the FAQ either...
10th Mar 2015, 10:18 PM #12
keltyzoid!

Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
<<no meemes on the forums -admingator>

Merged Doublepost:

DAMN IT
10th Mar 2015, 10:22 PM #13
Van Husk I

Registration date: 31st Jul 2014
It's Nama's fault my comic isn't popular.
10th Mar 2015, 10:24 PM #14
Nama
J
No matter how you look at it.
11th Mar 2015, 8:14 PM #15
inky♀
blood princess
Nama, do you think you should talk about Comic Rocket? A lot of people have asked about it.

Maybe the FAQ should provide links to relevant threads about some of these questions, esp stuff like the black and white vs colour thing.

Also, the admin question before was a serious one. It'd be helpful for people to know who are the mods and such.
11th Mar 2015, 8:15 PM #16
Nama
J
I was thinking the colour one would be in webcomic discussion, but it can go here I guess. And yes, the mods and Comic rocket will be added.
11th Mar 2015, 8:17 PM #17
inky♀
blood princess
So are you planning on making a separate FAQ thing for just comic-related things instead of site-related ones? That could just feature a list of relevant threads. Actually, I like this idea.
11th Mar 2015, 8:47 PM #18
Travis♂

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
what is Comic Rocket
11th Mar 2015, 9:11 PM #19
Nama
J
I am answering this right now, Mr. Travis. Check back at the first post in a minute.

E: Added.
6th May 2015, 6:07 PM #20
WhitewolfStormrunner♀

Registration date: 30th Sep 2014
Location: The Everfree Forest, just outside Ponyville, Equestria
I have a bit of a question of my own, and it concerns the signatures.

Not the size or how to add the image; I figured that out; but rather, how to add text (or an outside link to some of my other userpages) to it.

(LIke is shown in Nama's.)

The reason that I'm asking is, I have all that added, but, other than my siggy-picture, none of the rest of it is showing up below said image.

Do we have to reach a certain number of posts before it does? If so, I can wait til I reach it.

(Don't worry; I'm not going to make spam-posts just so I can reach that number. I'm not that kind of person.)

Anyway, help?
Pages: [1] [2] [3]