You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > News & Announcements > New forum rules
Pages: [1] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13]

16th May 2016, 6:34 PM #201
Xenocartographer♂
formerly Biophysicist
Referrals: 0
Registration date: 13th Oct 2010
Seeen, steak: Fair, maybe more like this? I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud (and yeah, that's a bit too much whitespace, I'm editing shit in MS Paint so not exactly the easiest rn).

Merged Doublepost:

Unrelated, a clarification/rewording of "typing quirk" in the rules wouldn't be remiss. By my reading, several well-known members do use typing styles that would fall under that, mostly related to capitalization. (I'm not objecting to the rule/those members, just pointing out wording I find unclear.)
16th May 2016, 7:02 PM #202
Seeen♀

Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙̈̉̏̎͑̐͞ ͕̳k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩̊̅͡ ͓̠ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹ ̥͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆iͫͯ ͕̗̲̘͕̮̪̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̎͗͠ ̥̟̬̜̬rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w ̲̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ̫ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
Personally, I don't think we really even need to dress it up:

That's just Trebuchet MS with a font size 2 pts down and italicized. I also lightened it a little because ComicFury uses a lighter version of Trebuchet, and I don't have one that matches.
16th May 2016, 7:06 PM #203
Kyo♂
family life
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
Uhhh, I appreciate that y'all are excited about it, but we're just gonna try some stuff and see what looks and works good anyway. So unless you have something that's drastically different from what's been talked about, I'd really rather get back to suggestions on the rules. No offense and all that, but it's getting a little too specific to be useful here
16th May 2016, 7:06 PM #204
Xenocartographer♂
formerly Biophysicist
Registration date: 13th Oct 2010
Seeen: Haha, you know, that's very similar to what I had at first, then I saw steak's comment and second guessed myself. ;)

EDIT: Kyo: Alright, fair enough. I mentioned something in the first post on this page, if you have a moment?
16th May 2016, 7:35 PM #205
Kyo♂
family life
Matt's in charge of the rule changes, so you'll have to wait for him. I don't want to interfere, too many cooks and all that
17th May 2016, 12:16 AM #206
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
Referrals: 19
Registration date: 26th Sep 2010
The typing quirk rule came almost exclusively from Homestuck-style quirks, so that's what it means - I welcome ideas as to how to clarify it.
17th May 2016, 12:31 AM #207
Nama
J
Registration date: 15th Nov 2012
just classify home stuck as a meme
17th May 2016, 12:38 AM #208
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
Nah.

Like, here's some examples:

- hELLO WORLD, tHIS IS ME
- Hello World This Is Me
- H E L L O W O R L D T H I S I S M E
- HeLlO wOrLd ThIs Is Me
- hello world thiis iis me
17th May 2016, 12:47 AM #209
Nama
J
Registration date: 15th Nov 2012
Just put those examples under the rule in a spoiler
17th May 2016, 12:50 AM #210
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
Done.
17th May 2016, 1:33 AM #211
thatguy1280
fuck team gecko
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2011
MatthewJA:Nah.

Like, here's some examples:

- hELLO WORLD, tHIS IS ME
- Hello World This Is Me
- H E L L O W O R L D T H I S I S M E
- HeLlO wOrLd ThIs Is Me
- hello world thiis iis me

tbh this seems to just be "no excess capitalization, no intentional misspelling"

probably with better wording on the second point so people aren't super worried about unintentionally misspelling words

except spelling rogue as rouge, that should be bannable

also i know the topic of specifics on the thing is closed, but i just wanted to say that going a little too subtle like seeen's solution leads to 'biffing' or pretending your post has been mod edited or whatever. subtle, sure, but visible and immediately clear that it's genuine
17th May 2016, 2:26 AM #212
Seeen♀

Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙̈̉̏̎͑̐͞ ͕̳k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩̊̅͡ ͓̠ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹ ̥͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆iͫͯ ͕̗̲̘͕̮̪̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̎͗͠ ̥̟̬̜̬rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w ̲̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ̫ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
You could classify typing quirks as any typing style in which you use a specific pattern of typing, such as replacing letters, numbers, and sets of letters or numbers with other numbers, letters, or symbols, or otherwise altering them, in a way that could conceivably hinder readability. If you have to make a conscious effort to type that way, it's probably not okay, basically.
17th May 2016, 4:51 AM #213
thatguy1280
fuck team gecko
the concern i have with measuring based on readability is that IF I TYPE IN ALL CAPS IT'S PERFECTLY CLEAR WHAT I'M SAYING, BUT i'd still say that's the sort of thing that should be covered by the rule

to be perfectly honest i don't know whether it's a rule that necessarily needs to exist, it's a mild annoyance at best, and it just leads to confusion over why i'm allowed to type in no-caps, biff's allowed to RANDOMLY capitalise WORDS in the middle of sentences, inky's allowed to use frequent ink-related puns, nib does??? mid-sentence punctuation - these aren't the only examples of typing quirks that are allowed

it's like miau was saying about it sometimes being unclear about where the line precisely is
17th May 2016, 4:52 AM #214
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
it's a rule so it can be enforced - I'm quite happy to remove it, but intentionally hard-to-read posts are still against the rules, so would that still be represented?
17th May 2016, 4:58 AM #215
RemoveraPersona
as seen on ComicFury
Registration date: 2nd Jul 2014
IMO the most important part in that is the "intentionally hard to read" part- what sets caps and ??? apart from TYPiNg LiKE t H i S is how understandable/readable the post is
Something that breaks standard grammar (i.e how I'm typing right now-- a lack of proper punctuation) isn't really all that hard to read or understand.
I think it's less about the specific typing quirk and what defines a typing quirk (although examples are ok-but like, don't need to be all encompassing-) and more about not posting complete gibberish or typing using an "i n f r a c t i on a e s t h e t i c"

~143~
17th May 2016, 5:01 AM #216
thatguy1280
fuck team gecko
MatthewJA:it's a rule so it can be enforced - I'm quite happy to remove it, but intentionally hard-to-read posts are still against the rules, so would that still be represented?

in line a bit with what rem's saying - could you make the rule "intentionally hard-to-read posts" rather than typing quirks? on some level it's just semantics, but it feels like that's the spirit of the rule at the moment anyway and it's clearer than 'typing quirks' given so many of them are ok
17th May 2016, 5:02 AM #217
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
intentionally hard to read works

Merged Doublepost:

Updated
17th May 2016, 12:13 PM #218
Kyo♂
family life
i don't like intentionally because our one mod guideline is that we don't moderate intent, and we don't know what any one person intended to do.

Maybe "typing styles that affect readability" or something along those lines
17th May 2016, 12:43 PM #219
thatguy1280
fuck team gecko
thing is though, i consider poorly spelled text hard to read but i don't think someone for whom english is a second or third language should get punished for that. and yeah it comes down to mod discretion but if i didn't have confidence in my english and saw that one of the rules was that hard-to-read english leads to bans i'd be a little worried

despite all this ranting and raving, i do think your point is fair and i think your proposed alternative is fairly reasonable
17th May 2016, 12:43 PM #220
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
Kyo:i don't like intentionally because our one mod guideline is that we don't moderate intent, and we don't know what any one person intended to do.

Maybe "typing styles that affect readability" or something along those lines

oh, I like that! changed