You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > News & Announcements > New forum rules
Pages: [1] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13]

17th May 2016, 1:09 PM #221
Kyo♂
family life
Referrals: 0
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
obviously we are not going to punish ESL people, hell i would know what it's like, to be 14 again, to find out that the world is enormous and full of forums about neopets and pokemon. to enthusiastically write forum posts only to be misunderstood again and again. over and over. at first you are frustrated, then you start resenting people. you get bitter, your demeanor completely changes. one day you decide enough is enough and you make your own forum, hell a whole webcomic host, why not!!
17th May 2016, 1:16 PM #222
thatguy1280
fuck team gecko
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2011
oh i know y'all wouldn't do that, i just mean that a carelessly worded rule could be read a little bit that way

but like so long as y'all keep it in mind i'm sure it'll be k
17th May 2016, 1:18 PM #223
Kyo♂
family life
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
don't worry, i've got a little locket that says "remember where you came from" on it, i defo won't forget. matt's looking a little bloodthirsty though, better keep an eye on that guy
17th May 2016, 1:58 PM #224
thatguy1280
fuck team gecko
Kyo:better keep an eye on thatguy

why what did i do
17th May 2016, 2:53 PM #225
level♂

Registration date: 18th Nov 2015
his may have been asked already but no memes?

What's going to happen to shrek?

Also now known as [L]ƎVƎL or leevil when I'm being evil(mwahaha)
17th May 2016, 3:08 PM #226
Bolderousness
former background douchebag
Registration date: 27th Jan 2012
Shrek itself is fine. Shrek is love; shrek is life is banned.
18th May 2016, 1:22 AM #227
biffboff
the worst kind of instigator
Registration date: 13th Jan 2012
12. No biffing!*

*some boffing is allowed. buffing must be by mutual consent and in Private Message only. baffing is right out and grounds for banning! Oddly, kyoing isn't even a thing on CF - a fact that probably annoys him to no end.
19th May 2016, 12:39 AM #228
edi-san♂
user title
Registration date: 17th May 2010
cutething & biff:you may have missed biff's excellent point:

if it warrants a PM then it warrants a public (ie:in-thread) acknowledgement that the behaviour isn't acceptable. It serves as a warning to us all. It's this sort of correction that will serve to shape the way we all communicate.

public executions, anyone?

but seriously though, when people see a rulebreaker get in trouble publicly they say "oh snap, im not doing that"

I imagine a large part of not wanting punishment to be public (in general) is that if it is public you can get labeled and then people treat you rudely. "labeled a criminal -> act like a criminal" is a real thing. CF as a whole definitely tries to be open and friendly, and give people the benefit of the doubt.

So maybe a way to give warning that would work is to be a little silly about it. That way a light warning would be issued, but then when someone crosses way over the line you can be serious and say "hey. We did warn you."

Well, these are all details to support the idea: you could have moderators use a thing like a modified star power that changes the title of a post to like "warning: don't act like this."

As an afterthought, mods and admins are humans, too, so reporting things you think are crossing a line helps them do their job better.

We all work together to build a better community, right?
common japanese honorific, title of respect similar to "Mr.", "Miss", "Mrs.", or "Ms."
19th May 2016, 12:49 AM #229
thatguy1280
fuck team gecko
edi-san:So maybe a way to give warning that would work is to be a little silly about it. That way a light warning would be issued, but then when someone crosses way over the line you can be serious and say "hey. We did warn you."

warnings need to be clear though. if it's a little jokey or sarcastic, the offending parties might think "oh, it's not that serious", ignore the warning and get banned for it. then we end up again in the situation of "oh i didn't think it was that serious" or "i didn't think the offence deserved it" or "the rules and the mod actions were unclear"

the problem i have with all forms of power (star, mod, whatever) is that it covers up the date stamp and the post number, so you can't link to the post and have no idea when it was posted. fix that, and maybe being more liberal with that sort of thing is a good option
19th May 2016, 1:31 AM #230
edi-san♂
user title
thatguy1280:if it's a little jokey or sarcastic, the offending parties might think "oh, it's not that serious", ignore the warning and get banned for it. then we end up again in the situation of "oh i didn't think it was that serious" or "i didn't think the offence deserved it" or "the rules and the mod actions were unclear"

it's true that being jokey can downplay a situation. the rationale of the offender ("I didn't think it was that bad" "it was the fault of the rules") has not changed in centuries, and it just doesn't fly.

Yeah, warnings should be clear. That's why you have it be a clear image that says "warning". But softening the blow can make it a true "slap on the wrist", rather than a stomach punch for a minor infraction.

Of course, it comes down to how the mods and admins run the site, in the end.

the problem i have ... is that it covers up the date stamp and the post number... fix that, and maybe ... that sort of thing is a good option

I've thought that as well (and that it removes the title of the post if there was one), but since it was minor with star powers in the past, it was almost not worth the effort to correct. kyo really just added powers as a frill. But this concept is to use the code in powers we already have to do more, so maybe that warrants changing code.

All hail kyo. Lord of Fury.
common japanese honorific, title of respect similar to "Mr.", "Miss", "Mrs.", or "Ms."
19th May 2016, 1:39 AM #231
thatguy1280
fuck team gecko
edi-san:I've thought that as well (and that it removes the title of the post if there was one), but since it was minor with star powers in the past, it was almost not worth the effort to correct. kyo really just added powers as a frill. But this concept is to use the code in powers we already have to do more, so maybe that warrants changing code.

oh, are you aware that they made a big red "mod intervention" banner? like, they've been using star power as a moderating tool for a while now

sorry if you do know and you're proposing an extension of this, but it occurred to me that you might not have noticed it in your time back
19th May 2016, 1:43 AM
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
Referrals: 19
Registration date: 26th Sep 2010
for those not aware, it looks like this
19th May 2016, 1:45 AM #233
thatguy1280
fuck team gecko
oh shit now i'm banned

but ty matt i was going to go find an example but - hang on wait

what
19th May 2016, 1:46 AM #234
edi-san♂
user title
thatguy1280:oh, are you aware that they made a big red "mod intervention" banner? like, they've been using star power as a moderating tool for a while now

sorry if you do know and you're proposing an extension of this, but it occurred to me that you might not have noticed it in your time back

hmm, yeah that was probably done after I went inactive. Heck star power had barely even come out.

I guess another thing is having warning levels. like:

"Now, now. Settle down."
"Everybody just take a step back."
"Hey now. Don't be like that."
"Not cool."
"Let's be civil here."
"You might not think so, but you definitely crossed a line. You might want to reconsider."
"Stop. Think about what you say next, because you are in trouble."

That way you can de-escalate a situation as it is forming, rather than waiting for the point of critical intervention?

I mean, prevention and a cure, right? Hopefully the goal is that no-one gets banned because we are all communicating with each other clearly. But sometimes someone doesn't listen.

(also, still in favor of header stamps remaining in power usage.)

Merged Doublepost:

thatguy1280:oh shit now i'm banned

but ty matt i was going to go find an example but - hang on wait

what

whoa that's weird.

Also, can you only do it on your own posts?

can you do it to other people's posts?

it seems to me that a great deal of mod power comes from being able to affect other poeple's stuff

(I assume you can delete posts...)

edit: hey that doublepost thing is cool. Whoever thought of that deserves bonus points.
19th May 2016, 1:52 AM #235
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
edi-san:That way you can de-escalate a situation as it is forming, rather than waiting for the point of critical intervention?

I mean, prevention and a cure, right? Hopefully the goal is that no-one gets banned because we are all communicating with each other clearly. But sometimes someone doesn't listen.

we already do this

whoa that's weird.

Also, can you only do it on your own posts?

can you do it to other people's posts?

only our own

(I assume you can delete posts...)

hah
19th May 2016, 1:54 AM #236
thatguy1280
fuck team gecko
eh the concept of moderators as mediators was thrown around a few pages back, i still think it's probably good

the trouble is that there aren't enough mods to be in every thread at all times, and if a thread's just getting to the "now now, settle down" point it's unlikely to get many reports. i mean, i say this as someone outside the moderation - i can't give precise details on how things run, it just seems like it'd be that way to me

the other side of it is that maybe it's better to give the minor warnings via pm, especially if they're a page or two back and bringing it back up is just going to derail the thread into discussion about the offence

the other other side of it is that unless there's it's very clear about what type of warning is being given (like "mod int level: 3") you might get people reacting poorly to getting moderated over relatively minor stuff. if you throw down the red banner because people are getting a little heated but staying well within the rules, you end up with what miaubol was saying about people feeling like they need to tip-toe around the forums

one thing the mods do that i quite like is if someone's being sensible in a thread, they'll often quote what that person said or highlight it in the intervention posts. maybe some way of highlighting the posts directly could serve as a way to empower the mediators on the forums rather than be them, but again, mods can't be everywhere at all times

unless we had a positive report function
19th May 2016, 1:55 AM #237
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
thatguy1280:eh the concept of moderators as mediators was thrown around a few pages back, i still think it's probably good

the trouble is that there aren't enough mods to be in every thread at all times, and if a thread's just getting to the "now now, settle down" point it's unlikely to get many reports. i mean, i say this as someone outside the moderation - i can't give precise details on how things run, it just seems like it'd be that way to me

first, we already do this

second, you'd be surprised: we get a lot of reports that are just heads-ups (and they're always appreciated)
19th May 2016, 2:17 AM #238
Seeen♀

Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙̈̉̏̎͑̐͞ ͕̳k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩̊̅͡ ͓̠ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹ ̥͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆iͫͯ ͕̗̲̘͕̮̪̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̎͗͠ ̥̟̬̜̬rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w ̲̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ̫ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
Though on the note of "not enough moderators" it does seem like we could use a few more, maybe.

I don't really have any suggestions as to who, but Fishy isn't around too often, leaving Matt and Kyo, who to my knowledge both tend to be pretty busy. Also, I think that also leaves a part of the day without any moderators around, which is also potentially a problem.

I mean, it's handled well how it is, especially given the small community, so it's not really strictly necessary, and it doesn't really help my case that I don't know much of what goes on on the moderation side of things.
19th May 2016, 2:24 AM #239
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
We're working on that. Before we can have more mods, we need better mod tools.
19th May 2016, 2:45 AM #240
Nama
J
Registration date: 15th Nov 2012
are mods themselves not tools used by Kyo?
Forum > News & Announcements > New forum rules
Pages: [1] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13]