Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Explain whisky to me...

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Explain whisky to me...
Pages: [1]

"Explain whisky to me...", 11th Jan 2017, 11:06 AM #1
killersteak♂
Honey coated lies and slander
Referrals: 1
Registration date: 25th Apr 2011
I see this supposed expensive single malt whisky, and it has crazy descriptions like "subtle soft hint of honey, delicate peach, nose of angel hair"
But then I drink it and it's just "burning"

Does the more expensive whisky seriously have defined flavours like honey, or are these descriptions just trying to hoax me?
11th Jan 2017, 11:18 AM #2
Chippewa Ghost

Referrals: 0
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Put it on ice or water it down and sip it.

But really, there's a lot of the snoot snoot wine drinker influence in write-ups like that... it's only with time and experience that the taste buds can start to define differences.

edit: and yes the best stuff tastes (to me) like fire + honey
11th Jan 2017, 11:18 AM #3
The Letter M

Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Now...I don't recommend you do this, because then you'll spend a lot of money and not actually lift your quality of life at all, but if you want to taste all of those flavours in whiskey you need to first drink cheap whiskey. Have some like every couple of days with no mixer and get used to how fowl it is. Then drink a few different super expensive whiskeys at room temp with no mixer and you'll go. "wow, this tastes sligtly less like shit....sort of like that HORRIBLE flavour is diluted with some honey or at least poured through some lavender leaves, or whatever)

11th Jan 2017, 11:33 AM #4
killersteak♂
Cheap blended or "cheap" single malt? I have both at the moment. Well, practically out of the blended.

Merged Doublepost:

re: ice and water
Random scotch drinker forum suggested not to because it prevents the oils mixing together or something i dont know...
11th Jan 2017, 1:30 PM #5
The Letter M

Are you only doing this because you have a lot of it to get through? Why don't you drink something you like?

11th Jan 2017, 1:56 PM #6
killersteak♂
I was trying to finish off the cheap blended one first. I bought the single malt out of curiosity. It's okay, I guess? Still burning. Still no peach, honey, spices.

Stuff I don't want to drink: this cheapass vanilla vodka.
11th Jan 2017, 2:18 PM #7
The Letter M

Why not use some mixers to help the medicine go down?

11th Jan 2017, 2:43 PM #8
killersteak♂
Cos I'm stubborn and I wanted to drink everything straight (not the vodka) for a bit.

And because I'm currently still associating sugary alcoholic drinks with that one night I went horribly overboard with vanillery black russians.

I'll keep going with this single malt. Maybe I'll develop a taste for it (just upset that it might not have been the best choice for the money, going by user reviews for the brand I didn't pick.)
11th Jan 2017, 2:57 PM #9
Miaubol♀

Registration date: 7th Sep 2014
killersteak:re: ice and water
Random scotch drinker forum suggested not to because it prevents the oils mixing together or something i dont know...

just add a little water, maybe even just one drop, that's enough to tone down the burning part a whole lot, and the other, "softer" components (peach, honey, etc) get more in the foreground.
11th Jan 2017, 3:47 PM #10
Cooke♂

Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
I've found Bushmills relatively smooth.

11th Jan 2017, 3:49 PM #11
killersteak♂
"Bushmills Single Malt Whiskey 10 year old is triple distilled from 100% malted barley and matured for at least 10 years in bourbon season barrels which give it it’s honey, vanilla and milk chocolate aroma. It can be served neat, over ice or if you’re feeling a little more adventurous, try it frozen."

srsly?
11th Jan 2017, 4:33 PM #12
Cooke♂

Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
Forget all that bs. It's a nice mild whisky that goes down easy. Won't cut the throat off you. The most I get is a sweet taste mixed with a mild oaky flavour.
Also drank a nice one over the Christmas called Quiet Man. That was pretty good too.

You can go for the more expensive option with Bushmills called Blackbush.

11th Jan 2017, 4:53 PM #13
MistakeNPotatoes♂

Registration date: 3rd Aug 2014
Really whisky is like any other drink that requires you to wrestle your taste buds into submission - like beer or coffee. I've learned to taste both, and at this point prefer drinking coffee black because I like to pick out the flavors with different blends without drowning it in cream and sugar (plus that's the part of coffee that's bad for you.)

Drinks like these have so many complex flavors that come all at once and if you're not used to it your tongue will automatically go "Uh this is bad! Or weird! Iunno I don't like it!" but the more you taste it the more "Mature" your taste gets and the easier you can pick these things out.

It's frustrating but if it's something you're interested in you have to put in the time to really be able to start tasting it. It's a lot like art and comics in that way :D
11th Jan 2017, 5:01 PM #14
SarahSophia♀

Registration date: 30th Oct 2015
If you want to avoid the ice or water, put the bottle in the freezer.
Pages: [1]