Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - What kind of research do you conduct for your comic?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > What kind of research do you conduct for your comic?
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"What kind of research do you conduct for your comic? ", 11 days ago, 9:10 AM #1
hawkeyemaverick♀

Referrals: 0
Registration date: 1st Nov 2016
Mostly curious since I've been doing a lot myself recently.
Do you mostly look up certain artistic references? Guides? Artistic techniques? Writing tips? Historical, culture, or scientific research?

Recently, I've been reading a ton of police transcripts, trying to get a feel for typical communications and events between officers, dispatchers, and civilians. Also been reading/studying on creating effective panel layouts.
11 days ago, 10:06 AM #2
The Letter M

Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
I've been trying to reanimate the dead, with limited success.

Heh.

Well, my fiance got me some nice books on comic book art and anatomy. I always have to look at refference material for cars and mechanical things but I still screw it up. Man, I hate cars.

11 days ago, 10:20 AM #3
Megatronski♂

Registration date: 17th Jan 2016
Art wise, I'm constantly referring to my favorite anime/manga for ideas on how to draw certain things, be they elements of outfits, facial expressions, stuff like that.

writing wise, I'm running a comic about a restaurant, so I've gotta have some kind of idea of how a restaurant works, what roles characters have to fill, stuff like that (even if I do have some leeway with it being a fantasy setting). Fortunately, my dad worked in the food industry for a while, so he's always a good source of information.
11 days ago, 10:31 AM #4
Chippewa Ghost

Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Reference images of guns, cars, slouching politicians.

Also how to draw the lightning bolt "SS".
11 days ago, 11:13 AM #5
temclaughlin♂

Registration date: 26th Jun 2015
For Fatebound, I mostly research art styles in various cultures and periods to develop the look of future chapters, and sometimes reference images. However, I have another project that isn't public yet, and for that I have a whole shelf of books on mythology, folklore, and magical traditions (modern druids, wicca, etc) that I'm working through as reference.
11 days ago, 11:44 AM #6
MST3KFan♂

Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
A lot of times, it's me looking up toys or other things from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s for my comic to focus on.

Who knew the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pizza Thrower toy would be so freaking hard to draw!? XP

11 days ago, 12:29 PM #7
RJDG14♂

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
Well for Braydonsworth, a fictional town, I did some research into the location and into new towns such as Letchworth Garden City and Milton Keynes, both via Google Maps and Wikipedia.
11 days ago, 1:10 PM #8
taikina

Registration date: 6th Mar 2016
documents/shows/movies about killers and manipulators. i sometimes make little collages of certain outfits, styles or characters for reference. and i've taken pictures/panorama pics of just places and things when i stroll about.

of course stuff like "what makes a good film/scene/character" and "how to this and that with drawing better" kinds of videos on yt.

all the irl fucked up things i hear about and have seen
11 days ago, 1:29 PM #9
Respheal♀

Registration date: 4th Jun 2016
Art-wise: How the heck do you draw horses, and then I cranked it up a level and started learning about tack. (Artemis's bridle is a flower hackamore--Conan prefers bitless bridles. The more you knooooooooow.) I also poke around some art streams to glean knowledge off people.

Writing-wise, from what I can remember:

11 days ago, 3:02 PM #10
Fabian W.♂

Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
For my comic's current chapter, I looked at a lot of pictures for various types of vehicles...
11 days ago, 3:15 PM #11
SharpyTheYellowKirby♂

Registration date: 27th May 2014
I don't research anything. It all comes from what I already know.
11 days ago, 3:24 PM #12
sketchdoll♀

Registration date: 21st Nov 2014
My comic is fantasy, so thankfully I can sort of wing it on some stuff. But even then, I want to make things realistic to the world it exists in. So I look towards other fantasy writers and artists for inspiration. I try to think logically about the things I've placed in my comic :)

Art wise, I am constantly looking for tutorials, watching videos, and reading books. I'm always trying to push myself with techniques and ways to create comics more effectively!

Story wise,I'm still learning about how to write. I've read a few things on writing compelling stories and when I watch something good on TV or at the movies, I take a mental note of why or how something worked well.

Another thing I do is keep a Pinterest board with reference images, ideas for outfits, hair styles, accessories, architecture, etc. I have a general idea of what I want my world to look like, but I find that reference images help immensely and inspire me tons!
11 days ago, 3:39 PM #13
MissElaney

Registration date: 26th Nov 2016
Man, let's see. My comic is basically the religious Book Of Tobit AND a Slavic Pagan tale that lines up enough with it, told as a Russian mafia story, haha.

To learn more about what people wore and what cars were common and otherwise get the day to day grind down for the character designs and background art, I watched live action movies that were filmed in Moscow in the 90s and took notes.

I remember at one point I went fake apartment hunting online, looking at the Soviet apartment floorplans to get an idea of use of space, and I saved this priceless photoset called Moscow By Michau. I read Russian travel guides to America and compared them to American travel guides to Russia and figure out the differences between the cultural attitudes.

I spent ages looking up Orthodox iconography and went to the Holy Virgin Cathedral in San Francisco several times to see this sort of thing in person.

I am putting double layers of symbolism in my story that I don't expect anybody to key in on but I enjoy it, because there's a phenomenon in Russian faith and superstition called "dvoeverie" or dual faith. So I went through a stint of Russian fairy tales and Slavic Pagan tales, studied the interpretations and symbolism in The Book Of Tobit, in order to pull this off.

There was a number of crazy events in Moscow so getting information on how the average person reacted things like the various financial crises, I read news articles. I read Russian blog entries online where people reminisce or explain how things were done and when I lived in the bay area I asked a few Expats some questions. When I was in college working on a preliminary version I learned from three of my college professors, one for history and the other two for writing and illustrations.

To learn more about the way organized crime worked I read books like Comrade Criminal and Violent Entrepreneurs. I scraped through the Criminal Tattoo Encyclopedia.
11 days ago, 4:05 PM #14
Lee Lines♂

Registration date: 14th Jun 2016
If I don't know it I look it up. I've researched Egyptian styles, horses, volcanoes, airships (for a strip still in planning), figures in various poses and hands, lots of hands. Also since realizing how retro my style has become, I've played it up, studying older comics via Digital Comics Museum.
11 days ago, 4:18 PM #15
PeterVonBrown♂

Registration date: 7th Jan 2016
Most recently town hall buildings. Werewolves and werewolf legends/mythos, of course. Monorail trains, buidings, raccoons...I pretty much look up anything I need to know about better. When I'm writing novels, there's always research - an insane amount. At least for me. Varies from project to project. But research has always been one of my favorite parts of writing/drawing stories.
11 days ago, 4:23 PM #16
JammyTheWerewolf♂

Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
I think most of mine involves how to draw ships and bits of ships, along with fighting and injuries, and things like skeletons and various objects. I also look up how people in that sort of time period would do things, and what kind of stuff existed back then. I also look up clothes references, and I've tried to give each country it's own kind of look. Basically, if I don't know something, i look it up. It's been quite a lot.
11 days ago, 4:43 PM #17
Tibbittz♂

Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
I've actively researched a zillion things for this first arc alone, including:

A Midsummer Night's Dream
Architecture
Armor (medieval)
Artemis (legends and images)
Artificial intelligence
Avalon
Banana trees
Bank vaults
Bible quotes/study/interpretation
Brain cancer
Buick Rivieras
Caladbolg
Canes for the blind
Catching bullets
Central Park
Cubic Zirconia
Faeries
French expletives
Greek mythology
Homosexuality/lesbianism/bisexuality
Horses (how to draw)
Irish history
Latin
New York City maps
Newspaper design/layout
Omegas
Police radios + radio codes
Rolls Royce Silver Ghosts
Saddles/stirrups
Sarcophagi
Song lyrics
Swedish surnames
Sword design
Vampires
War paint
Writing (I could not have written the bloody thing without Robert McKee's Story)
WW1 Biplanes
11 days ago, 4:54 PM #18
monoushi♀

Registration date: 27th Dec 2015
I use dictionaries and thesauruses, search up history books, art history, medicine, science, fictional books as well, books on social care (for Sena's work in the comic) books on PTSD/other trauma disorders, mental health, and whatever else seems related to the themes/context of the comic. It gives me a base to work with to tweak as I please, so that people can identify with it as well as see a different take on a concept :)
11 days ago, 5:04 PM #19
MistakeNPotatoes♂

Registration date: 3rd Aug 2014
I try to make sure everything is period in my comic since it takes place in 1925. Car types, weapons, events, currency, slang, clothes - admittedly I've bent a thing here or there but I haven't put anything in that's been flagrantly anachronistic... as far as I know :D

Oddly enough one of the harder things to research was the kind of swears people used! Back then it wasn't okay to print curse words or put them in film/radio, so there's almost no record of expletives from that time, it feels like. As a point of reference, the line at the end of Gone with the Wind, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." was a HUGE deal, even though films around that time had used the word Damn and Goddamn - but only just then were they starting to.

What a bunch of prudes...
11 days ago, 5:11 PM #20
keltyzoid!

Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
i did a lot of really in-depth research into Mortuary Science, coronary processes, and funerals. sort of shadowing, so i could learn how actual morticians are in terms of mood regarding their work and why they love their work so much. on kind of a similar note, i tried to find out how to perform surgery with household tools, ie trying to remove a bullet.

also researched decomposition and archaic butchering, what parts of the body are most flavorful and nutritious, and what sorts of wounds are most lethal. this is for obvious reasons, i write a bunch of cave-dwelling carnivores.

i also studied bears. like, how bears eat, how many bear attacks are recorded each year, how they fight/hunt. same thing with bats, except for their sort of little special quirks like echolocation, colonies, how they roost, bat saliva's anti-clotting properties, etc. studying bat skeletons also helped provide some of the framework for my monsters.

more miscellaneous things, i spent a lot of time in cities and looking at pictures of cities and taking pictures of my own. i read up on the history of Pennsylvania and tried to learn some very basic Dutch and Italian. also studied a lot of Latin phrasing and words for dumb reasons i never ended up using.

research is honestly my favorite part of writing.
Pages: [1] [2] [3]