You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Forum games > Werewolf IX
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [21]

"Werewolf IX", 28th Oct 2010, 3:10 AM #1
Cyborg_572♂
M-M-M-Moderator
Referrals: 0
Registration date: 5th Dec 2008
The wizard was not happy. He was sitting alone in his private little wizard universe contemplating the results of the latest round of Werewolf.

"They're figuring it out," he thought to himself. "Sending werewolves into this little village and watching them squirm and bicker used to provide me with weeks of entertainment. This last time they just sat around drinking and partying and nonchalantly offing all the wolves without even trying."

Then the worst realization dawned on him. "Almost no one died... this little orb of mine is practically empty. I'm not dealing with a naive little village of revived spirits, these villagers know too much."

Then inspiration hit... "what if maybe they could know too much..."

---------------------------------------------------------------

So you know the drill, and that's the problem. How about we mix things up a little this round (although I'm willing to go back to normal if no one likes this)

The Rules

The biggest difference will be what the wizard was hinting at: more knowledge. Several of the roles will be public knowledge. I know this puts those roles more at risk, but I've worked out a few ways to counter that.

The second difference (and I'm fine with ditching just this one if it causes too much trouble) is a classic bit of werewolf folklore: The bite of a werewolf can transform the victim into a werewolf. Now, this won't happen every time the werewolves attack, don't worry, but there is the slim possibilty of the number of werewolves in this little town increasing as the game goes on. We'll start with 2 and go from there. (Yes I know communication via PM is tough for more than 2 wolves, but I've got a solution for that too)

The third difference is the possibility of a dual role. Public roles will be assigned randomly, then the wolves will be assigned randomly, and then hidden-but-not-wolf roles will be applied randomly to whoever's left. This makes it possible for scenarios such as "The sheriff is also secretly a wolf" bringing the game back to the classic question of determining "who's a lying dog-human-beast-thing"

So that just leaves how to keep things fair. What's to stop the wolves from just offing a pesky role in the first round? The special roles have protection. (I mean really, what kind of sheriff doesn't carry a gun or something?) I'll go over the roles in a second and each one will have a set of numbers like this: 35/55/10 those are the odds of that role living/dying/transforming. Protective roles will have a second number in brackets for when they're doing their job. Adding more wolves to the pack increases the odds in the wolves' favour. Losing a wolf does the opposite.

The Roles
I'm tweaking the roles a bit based on the last couple rounds, and the new rules. Just some tweaking and consolodating. I think I'm only adding one role that's entirely new.

The Mayor - Public - 0/100/0
The Mayor's vote's count double, replacing the Wolf-V and Villager-V roles.

The Mayor's Bodyguard - Public - 35/60/5(75/20/5)
Any wolves wanting to attack the mayor will have to face the bodyguad instead... unless they catch the 1/5 chance the bodyguard's slacking (Converting the BodyGuard removes the protection responsibility)

The Guardian - Secret - 60/35/5(98/0/2)
The Guardian Can protect one villager each night, and is hard for the wolves to take down. (Converting the Guardian removes the protection responsibility)

The Sheriff - Public - 35/55/10
The Sheriff takes one player out of comission for an entire day/night cycle, essentially combining the sheriff and the chemist from last game.

The Detective - Public - 35/55/10
This is the new role. Each day the detective snoops around town (read: receives a PM from the narrator at the start of the day phase) and discoveres some details about the crime scene, or lack thereof. What the detective does with this information is entirely up to them, but keep in mind, any survivors of the crime scene will know some details too (for example, who's not going to notice the guardian fighting off a pair of wolves on their front lawn?)

The Traitor - Secret - 0/0/100
The traitor doesn't know it, but deep down in their heart, they would rather be a wolf than be eaten by one. The Seer (see below) see's this person as a wolf, and if the wolf attacks the Traitor, the seer won't be that far off.

The Hunter - Secret - 38/60/2
The Hunter has a big gun and likes to use it. A bit more level-headed then previous hunters, in this game the hunter gets to choose who (from the people who voted to lynch the hunter) they blast in a fit of rage upon being lynched.

The Ghost - Secret - 0/100/0
After the Ghost dies, they get to stick around for a bit and take care of the unfinished business of making one more killing. They can communicate with the Medium (see below) and only the Medium. Hopefully the Medium's not a wolf...

The 3 Mystics - public - varies/varies/0
There are 3 more roles, all of which will only be identified (to others and themselves) as a Mystic. The assumption is that they are all the Strong Mystic. All 3 consult thir crystal ball each night to try and determine whether or not someone is a wolf, all 3 start each night by setting up some ant-wolf charms to keep themselves safe. The difference is in how succesful they are. If a wolf gets one of these position, they will figure it out and abuse the power for their wolfy needs. Lets see some details.

The Strong Mystic (aka, The Seer) - secret - 60/40/0
This Mystic is the most experienced and can accurately tell who is and isn't a wolf. The seer is also pretty competent about setting up protection.

The Weak Mystic (aka, the Naive Seer, aka, the medium) - secret - 40/60/0
This Mystic isn't quite so good and does not realize the spell they're using is the "detect ghost" spell, not "detect wolf". No matter who they view they will get negative (villager) results, until the ghost is revealed at which point they will automatically make contact on their next attempt to see. Sets up a semi-decent protection against the wolves

The Horrible Mystic (aka, the Framer) - secret - 5/95/0
This Mystic is really bad at what they do. Thier wolf protection is useless, but no where near as bad as their attempts to see. The Horrible Mystic will always get negative (villager) results, but the spell actually causes the Strong Mystic to get backwards results (wolves appear villager, villagers apear wolf). This mystic is probably more helpful to the wolves than the villagers, but they're heart is in the right place, so the Strong Mystic will still read them as villager.

Okay enough of me rambling... who's in?

1. SuperPie - Detective
2. Ranger - Mystic - Medium - Eaten by a wolf.
3. Elayne - Lynched
4. SKRAEL - Mayor
5. geekgrrl
6. Shaggers
7. Jnvn - Mystic
8. Antihero
9. Salty
10. Rhaimes(hunter) - Brutally murdered by wolves
11. Kristy - Eaten by the wolves. Is now a ghost.
12. lalaland - Mystic
13. Jacob Gristwood - Removed from the rope of confinement and placed in the rope of death.
14. Sarge - died a custardly death and turned out to be a wolf. Shot with silver.
15. JimiRaffety - Eaten by wolves.
16. Magravan - Supposed to be lynched, tried to escape, shot down by superpie (or was it ice?)
17. Ice the frosty cat - Sheriff
18. Biophysicist - Lynched in spite of everything
19. BlackMageBrad - Rescued from his basement then hung. Revealed as wolf and shot.
20. Hedge - Bodyguard
21. edi-san - Lynched at the last minute out of a sense of responsibility.

an odd number starts us on night for a change, right?
28th Oct 2010, 3:19 AM #2
edi-san♂
user title
Registration date: 17th May 2010
42.edi-san

(read 42 as "last spot taken on the list")

edit: you also said that the 3 mystics were public, yet the strong and horrible mystics say secret, and the weak mystic doesn't say anything
common japanese honorific, title of respect similar to "Mr.", "Miss", "Mrs.", or "Ms."
"Fun.", 28th Oct 2010, 3:27 AM #3
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
Registration date: 20th Dec 2009
2. Ranger
21. Edi?
Did you know? Ranger is actually an acronym: Random Analytical New Guy Explaining, Rambling. :P

(Hmm...The Brian? Brains Really Interpret All...Nevermind. New? Never Explain Wizards. :P)

What roles I don't like: The Mayor's Bodyguard--I feel if they had the ability to protect others, like the previous games, it'd be better.
The Mayor -- We need two! D:
The Hunter--this was similar to what Ice originally had. He changed it because it's basically a second ghost, only weaker--no medium, and has to shoot immediately, and only gets that shot if lynched. You also made it hidden, instead of public, a real problem. One of the Hunter's main abilities separating it from the ghost was that they KNEW what they were.
The ghost? Medium, can wait, and gets that shot no matter what.
The Horrible Mystic (aka, the Framer) - secret - 5/95/0--should have a chance of transforming, being 'misguided' by the wolves.

Roles I Like: The Sheriff--I like the combination! :)
The Detective: A nice new role. ;)
The Traitor: Finally addressing the title of the role! :P I love how they're town, until someone tries to kill them.
Conversion: Awesome concept. I love the idea of possibly switching sides, because it forces people to doubt their initial reads--they might have been accurate...but are they, now? ;)
28th Oct 2010, 3:57 AM #4
Elayne the Distrait
Extravagant fears
Registration date: 19th Jun 2010
2. Ranger
3. Elayne
21. Edi?
28th Oct 2010, 4:04 AM #5
Rhaimes

Registration date: 2nd Sep 2010
2. Ranger
3. Elayne
10. Rhaimes
21. Edi?

Didn't got a chance to do something... Aside to go along on a bandwagon.
28th Oct 2010, 4:04 AM #6
lalaland♀

Registration date: 1st Oct 2010
2. Ranger
3. Elayne
10. Rhaimes
11. lalaland
21. Edi?
28th Oct 2010, 4:08 AM #7
Cyborg_572♂
M-M-M-Moderator
ranger_brian_new:
What roles I don't like: The Mayor's Bodyguard--I feel if they had the ability to protect others, like the previous games, it'd be better.
The Mayor -- We need two! D:
The Hunter--this was similar to what Ice originally had. He changed it because it's basically a second ghost, only weaker--no medium, and has to shoot immediately, and only gets that shot if lynched. You also made it hidden, instead of public, a real problem. One of the Hunter's main abilities separating it from the ghost was that they KNEW what they were.
The ghost? Medium, can wait, and gets that shot no matter what.
The Horrible Mystic (aka, the Framer) - secret - 5/95/0--should have a chance of transforming, being 'misguided' by the wolves.

Alright, lemme address these:

The Bodyguard: This isn't so much a special role as it is just a way of balancing the mayor that makes sense in a story context.

The Mayor: There's only one because 2 creates the possibility for a game-breaking strategy. There's always the possibility that the Mayor is actually a wolf, so I feel that makes it a bit more fair.

The Hunter: I was actually juggling back and forth between what I went with, and making the Hunter a public role and combining it with the guardian. Edit: Also, the hunter would know who they are.

The Horrible Mystic: The mystics don't have a transform possibility because they don't defend themselves physically, but with charms. The idea with transformation is that the player gets injured successfully fighting off the wolves.
28th Oct 2010, 4:23 AM #8
Shaggers♂
Knock knock
Registration date: 18th Dec 2009
2. Ranger
3. Elayne
6. Shaggers
10. Rhaimes
11. lalaland
21. Edi?

This sounds awesome! Excellent job coming up with new things...LOVE the possibility of transformation. And the whole possibility of not dying when attacked (for certain roles).

A couple of questions though...does the detective automatically get that info, as in you pm them with some extra info? And when you said
Cyborg_572:but the spell actually causes the Strong Mystic to get backwards results (wolves appear villager, villagers appear wolf)
was that a typo when you said it causes the strong mystic to get it backwards? I'm assuming you just meant horrible mystic...if not please let me know.

Oh and the villagers...what are their stats? I mean as far as the living/dying/transforming thing goes...

28th Oct 2010, 4:25 AM #9
Antihero♂
Blurg
Registration date: 8th Nov 2009
2. Ranger
3. Elayne
8. Antihero
10. Rhaimes
11. lalaland
21. Edi?

(I would take 13, but I think Hedge wants it...)

<_< ... >_>

imageimage
28th Oct 2010, 4:33 AM #10
Cyborg_572♂
M-M-M-Moderator
Shaggers:A couple of questions though...does the detective automatically get that info, as in you pm them with some extra info? And when you said
Cyborg_572:but the spell actually causes the Strong Mystic to get backwards results (wolves appear villager, villagers appear wolf)
was that a typo when you said it causes the strong mystic to get it backwards? I'm assuming you just meant horrible mystic...if not please let me know.

Oh and the villagers...what are their stats? I mean as far as the living/dying/transforming thing goes...

Detective: Yup, they get a PM

Strong mystic: Not a typo, which is why the Horrible Mystic is also known as the Framer (they're just not framing intentionally)

Villagers: 0/100/0, they don't have any protection, so no chance of getting injured then successfully fending off the wolf
28th Oct 2010, 4:57 AM #11
JimiRaffety♂
has a beard that can kill
Registration date: 1st Jun 2010
2. Ranger
3. Elayne
8. Antihero
10. Rhaimes
11. lalaland
15. JimiRaffety
21. Edi?

Of course I'm in! I'm excited to play the game in such a different way, as well. It's nice to mix things up a bit.
28th Oct 2010, 5:16 AM #12
Jnvn♂

Registration date: 5th Sep 2010
Sounds like you've got this probability stuff all sorted out nicely. I like, Cyborg. d(^_^d)

2. Ranger
3. Elayne
7. Jnvn
8. Antihero
10. Rhaimes
11. lalaland
15. JimiRaffety
21. Edi?
"Heh.", 28th Oct 2010, 5:31 AM #13
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
Jnvn:Sounds like you've got this probability stuff all sorted out nicely. I like, Cyborg
Duh, Cyborg. I'd be more surprised if he didn't have it all planned out. :P
Also, Cyborg, the first post is not without its typos. Might want to double-check it if you're awake enough. (I noticed them, but I'm half asleep, so I can't point them out again.) ;)
28th Oct 2010, 5:35 AM #14
Skrael♀
▲▲▼▼◀ ▶◀ ▶BA
Registration date: 19th Oct 2009
2. Ranger
3. Elayne
4. SKRAEL
7. Jnvn
8. Antihero
10. Rhaimes
11. lalaland
15. JimiRaffety
21. Edi?
28th Oct 2010, 5:37 AM #15
Cyborg_572♂
M-M-M-Moderator
ranger_brian_new:
Jnvn:Sounds like you've got this probability stuff all sorted out nicely. I like, Cyborg
Duh, Cyborg. I'd be more surprised if he didn't have it all planned out. :P
Also, Cyborg, the first post is not without its typos. Might want to double-check it if you're awake enough. (I noticed them, but I'm half asleep, so I can't point them out again.) ;)

I've re-read it a few times and corrected a bunch already. Maybe I'll copy-paste it into something with a spell checker. Firefox seems to give up on it.

Also, anyone have any opinions on The situation with hunter/guardian? Keep them seperate, or combine them and make them public?

EDIT: As for having this all planned out, I started working this stuff out halfway through game VII, so I've been tweaking it since then. The downside to game VIII being so short is that I had to rush things a bit at the end, hence the hunter/guardian dilemma.
28th Oct 2010, 5:38 AM #16
Shaggers♂
Knock knock
Registration date: 18th Dec 2009
Man dontcha hate it when your name gets skipped over? Just putting it in there to make sure I get in this game, it's cookin up to be a good one :D

2. Ranger
3. Elayne
4. SKRAEL
6. Shaggers
7. Jnvn
8. Antihero
10. Rhaimes
11. lalaland
15. JimiRaffety
21. Edi?

"Hmm...", 28th Oct 2010, 6:49 AM #17
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
Shaggers:Man dontcha hate it when your name gets skipped over? Just putting it in there to make sure I get in this game, it's cookin up to be a good one :D
Speaking of which, Cyborg, you should probably update the first post. Role contradictions have occurred in the past. ;)
28th Oct 2010, 7:03 AM #18
SuperPie♂
Not the real slim shady
Registration date: 3rd Jan 2010

1. SuperPie
2. Ranger
3. Elayne
4. SKRAEL
6. Shaggers
7. Jnvn
8. Antihero
10. Rhaimes
11. lalaland
15. JimiRaffety
21. Edi

SuperPie Being Award - 2011 GSICD Awards
28th Oct 2010, 8:45 AM #19
Frosty♂
SPEED LINES EVERYWHERE
Registration date: 20th Feb 2010
I'm a little apprehensive still, but I'll see where it goes. (Though it seems like the game could get fairly complex this time. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather this was a one-off, truth be told :P)

1. SuperPie
2. Ranger
3. Elayne
4. SKRAEL
6. Shaggers
7. Jnvn
8. Antihero
10. Rhaimes
11. lalaland
15. JimiRaffety
17. Ice the frosty cat
21. Edi