Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - How did you come up with your comic name?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How did you come up with your comic name?
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [7]

"How did you come up with your comic name?", 16th Nov 2010, 5:36 PM #1
Mrs.Crocodile♀

Referrals: 0
Registration date: 16th Nov 2010
Just Curious.
I'm starting a webcomic myself, and am having a hard time thinking of a name for it. So I thought, maybe hearing how others thought of theirs would help.
Also, suggestions would be great. My main problem with coming up with mine, is that my comic has no consistent characters, theme or structure. I didn't want to do a serious story, a gag-a-day, or an autobiographical one, so I'm just going to submit some kind of sequential art every week. I don't expect it to be popular, just to have a project to keep me busy and get used to the pace of webcomics.

Thank you for reading!
16th Nov 2010, 5:46 PM #2
Frosty♂
SPEED LINES EVERYWHERE
Registration date: 20th Feb 2010
Mine kind of just developed. At first my comic was a small side project based on the source game "Mitadake High" so that was the name for it. When I decided to expand the story to include a second arc, I decided to give it a subtitle to differentiate it from the first. Then, seeing as in the cover pages, I'd put "Death Note Mode" underneath the title, I decided to make that the subtitle for the arc.
Then came the ideas for the other two arcs, Prelude and Terminus. Clearly, things had expanded past being a small project, so I decided it deserved a proper name that would work for all four arcs.
And that's how "Mitadake Saga" got its name.
16th Nov 2010, 5:50 PM #3
Magravan♂
Ma-Ma-Magravan!
Referrals: 26
Registration date: 13th Oct 2009
I basically brainstormed a bunch of tongue-in-cheek names related to brain substitutes... The one I enjoyed the most was "The Other Grey Meat", so I took that one, and then I realized that typing that out all the time would get annoying, so I changed it to TOGM: The Other Grey Meat on a lot of places... Another one was "I can't believe it's not brains!" but it's way too long and ICBINB doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well as TOGM :)

A quick search on google showed that two people had used "Brains - The Other Gray Meat" or something, so I figured if two separate people were using it, neither could have it trademarked or show that they had successfully defended it if they did, so I figured we were good to go, and that was that :)
16th Nov 2010, 5:51 PM #4
MadTarnsman♂

Registration date: 10th Feb 2010
My main character's full name is Jonathan Hamilton Creech. He's essentially a modern man living in the Middle Ages, somewhat, and his sometimes larger than life stunts/actions/performance as a warrior got him the dubiously flattering moniker "Mad Jack".

He was actually a persona I was r/ping for a few years off and on in the online Gor community. Gor is a fictional world created by Prof. John Lange...John Norman...and he's written over 20 novels about the mythos.

So, I just took the name and character....invented by own world/s at the insistence of Prof. Lange....I corresponded with him for a bit about taking a comic book approach to Gor but he declined, wishing me all the best with something of my own.

[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152210118824280&l=bb33a5459a[/img]

16th Nov 2010, 5:53 PM #5
DensetsuEX♂

Registration date: 3rd Nov 2010
I just went with the names of my two main characters, Alexander and Lucas, and since it's a reboot of a previous series, I added "Rebooted!" to it.

In previous incarnations of Alexander and Lucas Rebooted! it was also called:
Alexander and Lucas
Alexander's Adventures
Alexander's Adventures 2

I'm pretty unoriginal when creating titles, but usually I take the main idea of the work and use it as the title.
My novel for example is entitled "Gifted", because it's about a race of humans gifted with supernatural powers.

The Artemis Fowl series was about a kid with said-name, and all the sub-titles were hints to what the story would be about (like the Opal Deception).

Titles can also be something that deal with the comic and it's legacy, like the Twilight series (as horrible as they were).
It went from Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse to Breaking Dawn, all cycles of the night, where vampires usually like to play. I guess you could say they had more significance to the story then just that, but I don't want to bore you with details of observations.

In short, just take a main idea or character of your comic and try to find a title dealing with that.
16th Nov 2010, 6:20 PM #6
Cyborg_572♂
M-M-M-Moderator
Registration date: 5th Dec 2008
My comic was originally about things going wrong. It was supposed to be murphy's law/finangles law incarnate. "It Figures" just seemed to sum that up nicely.
16th Nov 2010, 6:22 PM #7
Latios♂

Registration date: 7th Jul 2010
I couldn't think of anything, and since my comic doesn't make much sense I decided to choose a title that doesn't make any sense either.
16th Nov 2010, 6:24 PM #8
Butt Hunter♂
B.H. Baracus
Registration date: 26th Apr 2009
Flicked to a random page in a dictionary and picked one with my eyes closed.
16th Nov 2010, 6:37 PM #9
AngryRob♂
moderately angry at best
Registration date: 25th Aug 2009
Well my comic is a love story at it's core, but not really in a traditional sense. Mind you I came up with the title years before Ed Hardy. There were several other names considered... like

Punk Rock Apocalypse
Friend of Mayor Town
Spiffy Comics
Strangers in a Strange Land
16th Nov 2010, 6:39 PM #10
Robotwin.com♂

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
For RoboTwin, I searched robot related web domain names for something that hadn't been taken yet. The "Space Brothers" name was an appropriation of alien myth that seemed too much like nazi aryans, so my characters are multiracial to hint that we're all brothers on this spaceship Earth.

Since your webcomic isn't about anything in particular, it sounds more like a sketchbook or idea book, so make it related to your own name or your nickname. For example, call it "Crocodile Eggs" or "Croc Tails/Tales" or "Croc Stew"
16th Nov 2010, 6:44 PM #11
Mr Lostman♀
Negative Nancy
Registration date: 1st Oct 2009
I stole the words from a nice song to make a word salad title with.
"me", 16th Nov 2010, 6:52 PM #12
jenffer♀
Some of us are born lucky
Registration date: 10th Jan 2010

miss j and the am (the old strip) see i all to be in a rock band and over the year's it's turn to jenffer's show (my new one) me have my onw tv show...
"RR", 16th Nov 2010, 7:40 PM #13
The5thFromElbow2Wrist♂

Registration date: 4th Sep 2010
We just named ours after the story line, with the comic being about First Responders that respond to reanimated corpse emergencies, "Reanimated Response" was easy to come up with
16th Nov 2010, 8:03 PM #14
Skrael♀
▲▲▼▼◀ ▶◀ ▶BA
Registration date: 19th Oct 2009
Jacob Gristwood:Flicked to a random page in a dictionary and picked one with my eyes closed.

I just realized how dirty your comic name seems.
16th Nov 2010, 8:13 PM #15
ZeroGee♂

Registration date: 15th Mar 2010
I was going for Star Chaser, but that was taken long ago...So...
16th Nov 2010, 8:20 PM #16
MatthewJA
MattyJA
Referrals: 19
Registration date: 26th Sep 2010
Well hello there, Mrs Crocodile, nice to see a new face!

I have a tendancy to call people on these forums "Mr/Ms ____", usually for humourous effect. When I decided to make a comic, I wanted it to reflect my lack of drawing capabilities, but "I can't draw" is a crappy comic name. So I added "Good Sir" to the intro, and now I have "Good Sir, I Cannot Draw"! Fancy!
16th Nov 2010, 8:23 PM #17
Wayne Zero♂

Registration date: 14th Sep 2010
The original idea was to call it "Judgment" as the main character has decided to pass his own judgment on everyone else. That was a little difficult to research to see if it wasn't already taken, so I added the "Tales of" as a nod to older comics like Tales of Mystery and Tales of Suspense and the like.
16th Nov 2010, 8:33 PM #18
Biophysicist♂

Registration date: 13th Oct 2010
"Unichat" came from the fictional backstory of the comic's chat engine. It stands for "Universal Chat", because it's extremely light-weight (can be installed on almost anything) and so on. Not that this will ever come up in the comic, lol... But it's how I thought of the name.

"Essence of Eternity" came about because I wanted to do a project (which was originally going to be a StarCraft mod - that's how many of my projects start) with a city called "Eternity" in it which is like the core of existence and all that like in the comic also this sentence is horribly grammered and has a word missing it. "Essence of" was added to make it sound more mysterious and stuff - I thought of it because both "Essence" and "Eternity" start with "e" and are rather mysterious concepts.
16th Nov 2010, 8:35 PM #19
MatthewJA
MattyJA
Referrals: 19
Registration date: 26th Sep 2010
Jacob Gristwood:Flicked to a random page in a dictionary and picked one with my eyes closed.

Really? 'cos hokum means "something without meaning".
16th Nov 2010, 8:36 PM #20
crazyguylink♂
yes yes, of course, of course
Registration date: 5th Aug 2010
Mega-Bytes got it's name since the main character in it is a reploid, which is a type of machine. The name was meant more as a subtle pun.

Pokemon Misadventures was named because it it one comic mishap after another and I believed Misadventure would be more fitting a title.

Titan War is named because main characters of different game titles join together to battle their greatest rivals or longtime friends, creating a digital clash of the titans, so to speak.

image image image
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How did you come up with your comic name?
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [7]