You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Shameless Advertisement > The Descended
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"Alive and relatively well.", 21st May 2012, 4:00 AM #21
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
Referrals: 0
Registration date: 20th Dec 2009
Not quite yet. I'm still doing work. Right now, I'm basically working out geometry of reference images I have created using programs. Like at this very moment, I'm working on the geometry of Argus's wings--I copied the reference image into paint, and used red lines to draw very rough lines which give the overall picture of what the image looks like--and then (with a different red) filled in my best guess as to the part of the wings hidden by the image.

(This technique has basis in reality. I'm a good mimicry artist. When drawing things in real life, I look at them, recognize the geometry, and try to replicate them on paper. I've done it once before digitally, on a small scale--in these images, I never used copy-and-paste; I looked at the geometry of my reference images, and painstakingly copied what I saw. You can tell this because it's not an exact copy; there are noticeable detail differences, because there was no copying involved. It still passes as being close when you compare, but they're clearly not the same.)

Now imagine me doing that for every part of the body, for every cast member. I know, it's a lot of work to do for what's effectively nothing that will directly make it into the comic, since these are basically just sketches I'm making to get a new style, thanks to Frosty's advice that I asked for.

After getting the geometry for the reference images, step two is to take the geometry of the sprites.

And then comes the important part--combining the two's geometry. The sprite art's too small, and not detailed enough (and is what I originally envisioned the characters looking like). The reference images are too large, and have too much detail for me to ever hope to catch (and while some are quite faithful, others are not so close).

This will take a while. I've got a lot of work to do on each person--five faces, two weapons, two accessories, two bodies, two legs, and one set of arms per character (with 12 to do), if I'm doing the math right on the number of different things I need to do geometry for.

But if the end result is a better comic? Worth the work.

EDIT: Slight update, initial results are looking quite promising. Doing the outlines, I'm actually seeing things being simplified quite well. Argus's body on initial impression looks like it'd be a rectangle, with a slight tilt to its angle, but when you include the shoulders, it actually becomes a distorted pentagram. And that's something not too hard to work on, for multiple reasons. First off, Argus's original look was made with the rounded rectangle tool of Paint, which is of course similar to the rectangle--and the pentagram shape basically only takes that shape and tilts it a little bit, with the top end dividing in half. In fact, I'm already working out the geometry of how to make it work, though it might take a few tries to get.

I've also managed to figure out the wings, as mentioned above. They're not too hard. Estimate where the shoulder blades are, create two parallel lines, and you've got the base for the wings, which when folded form lines which create a series of triangles and the occasional parallelogram. Arms are loosely trapezoids, and hands are basically squares (when closed) or similar to the chest (modified rectangles with elements of pentagons) when open. The hardest part to get down is (naturally) the head and the feet. The feet are probably not going to be that large of an issue, and the face I've gotten worked out relatively well. The shape of the face is no problem at all; I nailed that down years ago. Noses aren't that hard to do, nor are mouths typically a challenge. What worried me was the hair and the eyes, both of which when looked at with the rest of the geometry already in place didn't look complicated at all.

In fact, they are quite simple, and I'm sure I can put them all together quite well, to get a picture of what he looks like on that scale--then the challenge is in shrinking him down.

And when I get the measurements I think I like, the next step? Actually sketch the basic geometry, writing down the dimensions I end up with (so I can consistently get an approximation of what I originally had, and therefore am not guessing each time), and if I like what I see, try to turn the basic geometry into an actual character.
"You look...different.", 23rd May 2012, 4:50 AM #22
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
By the way, I've changed my avatar. It (presumably) no longer suited me. :P I'd like to think I've become controlled enough to not come across as rude. (Cynical, on the other hand...... :P)

Though why'd I go with the beard and 'stache?

Well, I know that I've been portrayed as clean-shaven for twelve games by now (I'll presumably be featured clean-shaven once more when WW 20's final epilogue is posted. Yes, I looked. :P), but quite frankly, it's a little inaccurate to me. I, Brian as an artist, have a goatee, a mustache, and sideburns. (I also don't wear glasses, though that's part of the scientist look.) It's basically an experiment to see if I keep looking like the scientist I'm portrayed as in the Wolf 'verse, while still allowing a bridge into showing a more accurate me. Since if I did things right, it still looks scientist-y. Just not as mad-scientisty. (Mad scientists-->almost always clean-shaven. Good scientists-->almost always have facial hair. So I'm still a scientist, just now I look like I'm better! :P)

Plus, it makes a handy metaphor; I've literally grown the beard. :P

Now if it ends up looking horrible, and you like the old ranger avvy better, I'll switch back. (Well, not *quite* back; I'll remove the rude cynic part.) Like I said, it's an experiment (you could say I'm experimenting on my avatar...FOR SCIENCE! :P), and if they fail, there's little consequences to be had, as it doesn't take much to change back, reverting to as if the avvy never was there.
"So I learned something important today.", 2nd Jun 2012, 6:59 PM #23
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
Something still on my to-do list, you'll notice, is setting up a reliable schedule for when I do get everything to the point where I can regularly make comics.

And even when it was sprite-art, I sincerely doubted I'd manage daily updates, and figured I'd probably have updates one to three (average of two) times a week.

Now that I've switched art styles, I've found out for a fact that daily's out of the question.

While I'm sure I'll get faster with time, it currently takes me 2-3 hours per character. (Granted, I did take some small breaks, but I started working on Davos at 9:45 and finished at 11:45.) In my first comic, I have to draw a total of 17 or so characters. (The same three over and over again, but still.)

At 2-3 hours per character, that's a lot of time. It'd make the total drawing time for a comic to be 34-51 hours.

Meaning it'd be physically impossible to do daily. :P Every-other day's out as well. Working ~8 hours a day (4 or so characters drawn a day), that'd be 4-5 days to complete a single comic. So I might only update once a week--disappointing, in that I've got hundreds of comics planned and therefore my script will take literally years to finish, but actually not so bad when you think about it, considering that I was considering once-a-week even as a sprite comic. :P

Besides, letting the comic grow over time would mean I continually gain fans! :P (Well, theoretically, anyway... :P) If the comic ends only a year or two after it began having completed its run, then there obviously isn't much time for gossip about it to spread around.

Right now, I'm kinda thinking that I'll probably be updating every Saturday or Sunday, though I *could* do Monday (or maybe even Tuesday) updates as well. Since, after all, the date I post is the date which the comic is finished on, not the date I started working on it. :P
"Small update, but an update nonetheless!", 16th Jun 2012, 7:46 PM #24
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
So I changed a couple of details for my webcomic.
-The comic's description has become a whole lot more concise.
-I changed the art style from Sprite to Manga. Don't worry, the sprite art is far from gone, still having a very good place in my comic, but it's still not going to be the main style, anymore, whereas Manga (animesque) is.

-I also changed the genre. While humor is of course my specialty (as bad as my sense of it is... :P), it is not the focus of the comic, and when I thought about it, I realized that one of the most important things about it was that it's a fantasy setting, so that's my new genre. After all, the comic's re-release is being delayed for me to finish ironing out the setting.

Okay, so the re-release is being delayed for more than that. I still need to finish my new scripts. I still need to finish the site layout, as it's not quite what I want it to be. I still need to finish a few character details. I still need to do a little technical work here and there. I still would prefer a better TVTropes page. (It's somewhat of an obsession for me.) I still need to perfect my new art style, and vastly cut down on the amount of time it takes me to make it. (Would be SO much easier if I had a tablet, but I don't. So my shaky-hands means I am quite slow.)

...But the setting is the main thing slowing me down. I've done some of my research, but I'm afraid I'm basically stalling when it comes to extra things. What I'm thinking I need to do is just plow on through, ignoring my inspirations.

What I mean by this is that I should try to do the following:
-Create the Darkness Mage tech tree, without using too many of my research notes on Elder Scrolls and Dungeons&Dragons. Basically, make it unique to me, and not borrow too much. Only after completing it (or finding myself coming short on what I need to complete it) will I use the inspirations. This is how I got the offensive magic and wind magic tech trees done: I did it myself, and only when I had nothing left did I look to inspiration to fill the gaps.

-Do the same for the Water Mage tech tree. It's manipulation-based, but I've come to realize there are multiple types of manipulation. There's mental manipulation (has some overlap with Darkness, via manipulation of the senses, but that'll mainly fall under darkness), and physical manipulation. Also, there are a few debuffs which fall under water (if memory serves) that can be used as well, since water was originally also the debuff element. (Before I moved debuffs to Wind, because it made more sense.)

-With all of the elemental mage tech trees completed (well, with the slight exception of Light, which is 90% finished), complete the Mage Spell Tree. I have one of the 20 skills for the mages complete, and basically, I'd put other skills which I think are useful that aren't specific to a single element. I'd probably aim for something around 5 passive and 15 active, and of the 15 active, probably around 5-8 (non-elemental) offensive.

-And then, I'd tackle the Warrior elemental tech trees. Offensive ones won't be much of an issue, seeing as how I'm designing all offensive elements to be similar to each other (quite intentionally, mind you, as the FireIceLightningEarth combo kinda sorta forms a miniaturized version of the rock-paper-scissors elemental balance system, since Fire is strong, Ice is fast, Lightning is stubborn, and Earth is smart).

The non-offensive ones will be somewhat of a challenge, but not really. They are categorized as passion (darkness), duty (light), opportunity (wind), and conservation (water). The difficulty here will be in converting abstract concepts into skills. For mages, I had illusions, healing, buff/debuffing, and manipulation, which are all quite self-descriptive. Not so much for warriors.

However, I think I can manage. Light Warriors are probably going to take heavy influence from Paladins and Jedi in their abilities and mindset. Darkness Warriors are also fairly easy--there are several emotions from which to draw on. (And I'm thinking of, uh, "borrowing" the seven 'emotions' [better described as 'drives', the basic motivators for people] from the Lantern Corps. It'd require some modifications, but you can see why I think it's a good starting point.)

The most difficult thing here will be the Opportunists and Conservationists. I described the Wind Warrior tech tree as being built for taking advantage of situations--skills within either only work or only have their most powerful bonuses when the user has the advantage. (Making them work VERY well with Wind Mages, who deal in buffs/debuffs to GIVE said advantages.) And when NOT on the top, when at the disadvantage, they have skills to help them survive until a chance emerges, making them decent at support.

The Conservationists are going to be a little harder than that. I described them as basically being even more focused on support, to try and keep the party alive until an opening emerges to strike, making them basically the opposite of Wind: they are focused on keeping the party alive, and yet have skills permitting striking at the perfect moment, in contrast to Wind focusing on striking at the perfect moment with some skills focusing on keeping the party alive.

(Note--none of the classes are mutually exclusive, of course. You can be passionate and still have a duty. You can be conservative while still being opportunistic. You can be conservative and still be passionate. You can be dutiful and still be conservative. You can have a duty but still be opportunistic, and you can be passionate and opportunistic.)

But it's still doable.

-Then comes the Warrior tech tree. Shouldn't be that difficult, seeing as how (boiled down) their skillset is little more than stabidy stab stab stab. :P Again, some passives (around 4 or 5), with the rest being active. Around half (7-9) would be offensive, with the rest dealing with other aspects of combat being slightly more strategic--some skills are best used in one-on-one fights, and others against groups; the Warrior class should be equally capable of dealing with both.

-Then I tackle the Elemental Rogue tech trees. Offensive will be similar to the warrior and mage ones, obviously, but the non-offensive ones are again the main challenge. Stealth (darkness), Charm/Confusion (light), Sabotage (water), and Support (wind).

The main thing here is to make sure none of these are exclusive to that element, since the rogue technique tree needs to have them. But basically, boiled down, dark rogues deal with the stabbing, getting in close and being unnoticed--and if they are noticed, to make it difficult to catch them. Charm/confusion deal with the traditional rogue characteristics of them being thieves, as this is where they get their stealing from. In-combat, this manifests as them slowing down the enemies and serving as a distraction. Sabotage is a little bit of a combination of light and darkness, in that it deals with disabling the enemy. Wind is the support of the elements, and it accomplishes this by buffing allies and attacking from a distance--hence, why most rogues who deal damage from a range are wind-rogues, since throwing knives, shuriken, bows, crossbows, guns, and other ranged weapons receive the largest bonuses from the element meant to utilize them.

But as you can clearly tell from the descriptions within, all of these are traits you'd find on the traditional description of a rogue, and I want ANY rogue to be capable of doing ALL of these at least to SOME extent, yet I don't want any of their techniques to be redundant. Hence the problem that I'll have.

But considering I have two other class tech trees before I get to here, and that I've got at least 12 elemental tech trees before reaching this dilemma, I'll just say, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." :P
"Yay! PROGRESS!!!", 18th Jun 2012, 12:21 AM #25
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
So I've stopped procrastinating, and actually made a significant breakthrough.

I've (more-or-less) completed what the mage tech trees look like!

You've seen these before.

The offensive attacks have been pretty well set in stone. (No pun intended, in the case of earth. :P)

But I've been working on the other half.

It's not quite done, yet. I'm still working on the light mage. I need to put the finishing touches on wind mages. And I think I might have a missing spell slot for both Water and Darkness mages, but I've still completed their tech trees whereas before they were total blanks. Here they are.

(Note: "level" in the below two refer to 1/2/3. I'm aware of the inconsistency; I'll fix it later.)
Darkness Mage Summary: magical element of illusions, focusing on deception and manipulation to users’ favor. While primarily indirect in its technique, the darkness element has a fair share of powerful spells to unleash.

Non-Offensive:
-Concealment/Chameleon/Invisibility: 1/2/3. Caster becomes invisible for a set duration of time; concealed characters become visible if they take an action (e.g. casting offensive magic, swinging a sword, picking up an object), or are disturbed (e.g. they are hit, they step through water). Chameleons become visible if they take an action.
-Hide/Conceal/Disappear: 1/2/3. Target object/thing/person becomes invisible until specific conditions are met/the spell is disturbed/a set duration of time.
-Stealthy Step/Lightfooted/Silent Soles: 1/2/3. Caster’s sound production is reduced when moving slowly/caster’s sound production is eliminated when moving slowly and reduced when running/caster makes no sound at all and moves silently.
-Object Change/Self Change/Subject Change: 1/2/3. Caster changes the shape of an object/themselves/another target to look like something else.
- Whims/Whiskers/Whispers: 1/2/3. Caster either changes the taste or smell/feel/sound of something, or creates a false taste or smell/feel/sound to be heard.
-Delusions/False Image/Illusion: 1/2/3. Caster creates an illusion of an area/single person/group of things. (Note: 'group of things' includes spells.)
-Mass Reflection/Mass Duplicate/False Death: 1/2/3. Caster creates several illusions of something of their choosing; doubly-effective if on themselves/caster creates several copies of something they choose (giving 100% realness to that something, as with Shady Power, but stays at 100% even if the person knows it is an illusion); doubly effective if on themselves, though only on offense/when the caster is hit by something which would otherwise kill them, they become invisible and a copy of their body is produced, being killed in the way that they would normally have been. (Note: for obvious reasons, can only be used a limited number of times per day.)
-Mislead/Deceive/Falsify: 1/2/3. If someone uses detection spells, then the select object/subject/area is not shown as it should be, shown instead as what the caster of this spell chooses it to be (e.g. an evil aura appearing good, a person appearing with the aura of a tree and optionally the tree with the aura of a person, hidden objects concealed by spells will not be revealed by illumination…); level increases the elaborateness of the false revelations.
-Shady Power/Shadow Realm/Darkness Rein: 1/2/3. Caster’s illusions become 20%/40%/75% real if a person sees through the illusion, and are 100%/125%/200% effective if they do not.

Water Mage Summary: magical element of manipulation, focusing on controlling and deceiving targets into doing what the users wish them to. While primarily indirect in application, there are plenty of powerful spells to drown targets with.

Non-Offensive:
-Distract/Calm/Hypnotize: 1/2/3. Caster creates a(n) entertaining/soothing/enchanting wave of light visible only to targets which catches their attention/pacifies them/leaves them entirely harmless.
-Voices/Paranoia/Hallucination: 1/2/3. Caster creates a voice/a sense/a complete image of something in the targets’ head which isn’t real.
-Randomize/Roulette/Reverse: 1/2/3. All attacks now randomize their effect, potentially doing normal, double, zero, negative normal (healing), or double negative damage, and vice-versa for healing/when cast on enemies, said enemies now randomly target with random effects; when cast on allies, targeting said allies will cause random effects on random targets/damage dealt heals; healing now damages.
-Shut/Confuse/Charm: 1/2/3. Target won’t take beneficial actions/will take random actions/will be converted temporarily to caster’s side (but not under their control).
-Telekinesis/Animal Sympathy/Environmental Aid: 1/2/3. Target object/nearby animal/all terrain becomes manipulated by the caster—the object can be made to move, the animal will attack enemies, the terrain becomes hostile to enemies and favorable to allies, etc.
-Police/Control/Chessmaster: 1/2/3. Target begins to enact a scenario the caster programs into them; level dictates how intricate the scenario can be.
-Influence/Suggest/Manipulate: 1/2/3. Target becomes influenced/suggestible/easily manipulated by the caster.
-Bend/Puppet/Master: 1/2/3. Caster gains control over target part/target’s body/target’s actions for a turn.
-Brainwash/Turn/Change of Heart: 1/2/3. Target is brainwashed onto caster’s side temporarily (and under their control)/target is permanently turned to caster’s side under their control/target changes to caster’s side and maintains their free will, becoming an additional member of the caster’s party.

(Note, obviously, that the more powerful the spell, the lower its success rate is and the more likely the average enemy will have resistance/immunity to it. And of course, higher spells cost a lot more to cast.)

As you can tell, the non-offensive classes can be incredibly powerful if used correctly, but if used incorrectly, are completely worthless. Basically, the idea behind them is that a skilled user of the non-offensive elements is far more powerful overall than a skilled user of the offensive elements (rewarding smart play)...but that even an unskilled user of the non-offensive is still useful to a party, just incapable of functioning by themselves.

(Essentially, look at it this way--an offensive mage can handle themselves in a battle. One-on-one, or one-man-army; the offensive mage can handle themselves in either situation. They're vulnerable Glass Cannons, in that if anything gets through their offense, they have little defense to survive, but a skilled offensive mage can handle themselves.
An unskilled offensive mage is still one of the main damage dealers in a party, but requires protection because they don't know how to utilize their spells to do anything other than attack, and attack some more.

A non-offensive mage can theoretically handle themselves in a battle, but only if they're good. One-on-one, they're nearly invincible when used perfectly, and are definitely one-man-armies. They're even more vulnerable than offensive mages, but they make up for it in being potentially more damaging.
An unskilled non-offensive mage is the backbone and support for a party, keeping them alive and helping murder monsters, but is useless for actually doing much damage. No party can survive without a member who knows some supporting magic, even if it's not their main class and/or element, but again, most don't have the skills to use the element properly.

Those that DO, however, are intentionally overpowered. Again, it's rewarding good play--if someone is skilled enough to create an invincible combination [be it offensive or non-offensive], then they deserve to be rewarded.)
"Well, at least I'm half-way there...", 18th Jun 2012, 11:13 PM #26
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
I'm unfortunately a little bit stuck at the moment on the Mage Spell Tree. I've got it half-way done, but...well...I can't think of any other abilities to add in!

Note that
*Name*
V
*Another Name*
V
*Third Name*

Represents the 1/2/3 which you see on elemental tech trees. (I know, another thing not very consistent, but you'll see why in the below.)
Also note, these abilities aren't necessarily in order. Unlike the Elemental Tech Trees (which are roughly in order), these are just in the order which I thought of them.

(1/20)
Long Weapon Mastery (passive): Ideally, the mage’s long weapon of choice is a staff, simple or elegant not really mattering. However, mages often find themselves in less than ideal situations, and this skill permits them to use other long weapons (such as Spears and Rifles) as if they were staves. Each level makes the weapon progressively stronger and increases the mage’s proficiency in using it during melee.
V
Short Weapon Mastery (passive): Ideally, the mage’s short weapon of choice is a wand. However, mages often find themselves in less than ideal situations, and this skill permits them to use other short weapons (such as Daggers and Pistols) as if they were wands. Each level makes the weapon progressively stronger and increases the mage’s proficiency in using it during melee.
V
Misc. Weapon Mastery (passive): Ideally, the mage’s miscellaneous weapon of choice is scrolls of various kinds. However, mages often require a certain variety in their method of attack which scrolls do not offer, and this skill permits them to use other items (such as Rings and Pendants) as focus points for magic, just like scrolls. Each level makes the items used progressively stronger and increases the mage’s flexibility with their weapon.

(2/20)
Magic Mover: Non-elemental magic moves an object of the caster’s choice; each level increases the number and size of objects capable of being moved.
V
Helping Hand: Non-elemental magic creates an invisible magical “hand” which grants the caster an extra helper, capable of doing everything a normal hand can, e.g. pouring a cup of coffee, lifting a crate, holding a weapon; each level increases strength and range of the hand, and levels 3, 4, and 5 add the capability of another hand for four total when this skill is maxed.
V
Push/Pull, Accelerate/Decelerate: Non-elemental magic which pushes or pulls an object (or subject) or accelerates/decelerates an object (or subject) already moving (the two can be combined to push/pull an object and then accelerate it, for instance). Each level increases the force and control available to the caster.

(3/20)
Magic Aura: Caster creates non-elemental aura surrounding themselves/their weapon (choose one) which increases their defensive/offensive capabilities; level increases the effect and bonuses received from doing so.
V
Ki Blast: Caster creates non-elemental magic focused into their hands, to launch a close-ranged magical blast to decimate their opponent; each level increases the power of the attack and decreases the charge time.
V
Channel Chi: Caster creates non-elemental magic focused into an object they possess of their choosing (frequently, an accessory of some kind) and can unleash the energy within as they see fit, for close/middle/far-ranged offense, defense, or somewhere in-between; each level increases the variety available in both objects capable of being focused on and what the objects can do.

(4/20)
Mystic Shield: Caster creates a shield around target which protects against melee attacks; level increases amount of protection and defensive bonuses received.
V
Magic Shield: Caster creates a shield around target which protects against melee and ranged attacks; level increases amount of protection.
V
Multi-Shield: Caster creates a shield around target which protects against all non-elemental attacks, be it melee, range, or magic; each level increases the amount of elemental protection provided.

(5/20)
Elemental Resistance: Target receives resistance to one element (between Water/Wind/Light/Darkness); each level unlocks a new element that can have resistance cast against—ergo, starting at level 1, it can only be cast against Darkness, level 2 unlocks the choice of Light, 3 unlocks Wind, and 4 unlocks Water (user chooses which order, so this is just an example); Level 5 gives an upgrade to the ability, allowing for the simultaneous casting of all four rather than just one.
V
Elemental Immunity: Target receives immunity to one element (between Water/Wind/Light/Darkness); each level unlocks a new element that can have immunity cast against; Level 5 upgrades this ability, allowing for the simultaneous casting of two elements rather than just one.
V
Elemental Absorbsion: Target temporarily absorbs one element (between Water/Wind/Light/Darkness); each level unlocks a new element that can have absorbsion cast on; Level 5 upgrades this ability, granting the target resistance to negative status ailments aligned with specified element and a corresponding bonus to positive status effects aligned with the specified element.

(6/20)
Rest: Caster rests, to recover MP, becoming more vulnerable to damage until their next turn; each level increases the amount of MP replenished.
V
Recover: Caster gives up their turn to recover MP; each level increases the amount of MP replenished.
V
Meditate: Caster gives up their turn to recover MP, and becomes 20% less vulnerable to all forms of damage until their next turn; each level increases the amount of MP replenished.

(7/20)
Magic Missile: Non-elemental magical attack to target; each level increases the amount of damage.
V
Magic Blast: Non-elemental magical attack to single target (strong) or group (weak); each level increases the amount of damage.
V
Magic Massacre: Non-elemental magical attack to target group (strong) or all enemies (weak); each level increases the amount of damage.

(8/20)
Mana Pulse: Damage dealt is to target’s MP rather than HP. Each level increases the amount of damage; level 5 gets upgraded and does 10% normal damage to HP as well.
V
Life Reserve: Caster exchanges HP for an immediate significant boost in MP. Each level decreases the amount of HP sacrificed while increasing the amount of MP gained; level 5 gets upgraded and does 20% normal damage to a target as well.
V
Desperate Drain: Simultaneously casts Mana Pulse and Life Reserve; each level increases all effects (MP damage, MP gained, decrease in HP lost, amount of HP damage dealt to target) by 5%.

(9/20)
Critical Situation: All ally attacks have an increased chance of being critical for a time; each level increases the number of turns this effect lasts (starting at 1) and the chance of the critical (starting at 50%) occurring.
V
Focus Strength: Next attack by caster will be a critical hit; each level increases the percentage of the crit (starting at 100%).
V
Final Strike: Non-magical attack which crits instantly; each level increases the base damage of the attack (starting at 75%).

(10/20)
Laser Pointer: All ally attacks have increased accuracy for a time; each level increases the number of turns this effect lasts (starting at 1) and the amount accuracy is boosted (starting at 50%).
V
Lock On: Next attack by caster will be a guaranteed hit; each level increases the base accuracy (starting at 100%).
V
Sure Strike: Non-magical attack guaranteed to hit; each level increases the base damage of the attack (starting at 75%).

(Note: Obviously, ‘guaranteed hit’ isn’t actually guaranteed, with a number of factors coming into play—if the target has cast a spell greatly improving their chance of dodging/parrying/blocking/being missed by an attack, and/or cast a spell greatly reducing the accuracy of someone, and/or stats are distributed in a way to leave them very likely to be missed, then things guaranteed to hit…aren’t guaranteed to hit.
Because of this, however, ‘base accuracy’ also increases ‘guaranteed damage’ if it connects, something ‘base damage’* does not increase.)

*Base damage is how much the attack does, without factoring in bonuses for the attacker and penalties due to the defender. For instance, an attack with a base damage of 10 can do more with stat increases to, say, 20, but be decreased down to, say, 15 due to the target's stats. Or in a more severe case where the attacker is outclassed, the base damage of 10 which SHOULD do 20 damage after stat increases ends up only doing 5 because the target's stats reduce it by that much.

As you can tell, that means it doesn't influence the minimum amount of damage an attack can inflict, merely being how much damage an attack would normally do with all other factors removed.

Like I said, the tree's only half filled, yet I've kinda run out of ideas on what to put in to fill the gaps. :/
I'll probably need to tap into my research notes to see what I can come up with.

Maybe augmenting a target's next attack with magical damage in addition to whatever type of damage the weapon normally would do?

Maybe giving the mage a weak attack which can be of any element, granting all mages the chance to attack with an element even if they are not of that element? (Actually, this sounds pretty important.)

So far, I'm liking the balance between offense and defense/support that I'm seeing in the mage abilities that I've currently got, and that balance should be kept, but there's a slight concern in that I don't really have that many passive abilities for them... :/
"Just finished mages! :D", 19th Jun 2012, 6:44 AM #27
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
I'm not entirely sure that what I've got will be the final mage class...but I think I'm more or less satisfied with the below additions.

(11/20)
Magical Supplement: Target’s next attack is augmented with non-elemental magical damage in addition to their normal damage. Each level increases the amount of damage given by this spell.
V
Magical Augmentation: Target weapon is augmented with non-elemental magical damage in addition to their normal damage. Each level increases the amount of damage given by this spell.
V
Magical Enchantment: Target weapon permanently is given a non-elemental magical damage in addition to their normal damage; each level increases the power of the augmentation, with level 5 allowing for elemental augmentation.

(12/20)
Elemental Attack: A weak magical attack of caster’s choice element. Each level increases the amount of damage from this spell.
V
Elemental Blast: A slightly stronger magical attack of caster’s choice element. Each level increases the amount of damage from this spell, and also increases the chance of an elemental special effect.
V
Elemental Barrage: Caster unleashes an elemental barrage, attacking eight times, once of each element. Each level increases the amount of damage from each attack.

(13/20)
Direct Magic: Deal a fixed-damage attack, which is not reduced by enemy stats but not increased by caster’s own stats. Each level increases damage; level 5 grants a bonus based on caster’s level.
V
Absolute Magic: Deals a fixed-damage attack which is not reduced by enemy stats nor increased by caster’s stats. Additionally, spell ignores any magical resistance the enemy may possess. Each level increases damage.
V
Magic Bypass: Deals a non-elemental attack which is not reduced by enemy stats, but gains a bonus from the caster’s stats. Each level increases the percentage of the caster’s stats used (starting at 5%).

Magic Resistance (passive): Grants magical resistance; Each level increases the resistance given.
V
Damage Resistance (passive): Grants melee and range resistance; Each level increases the resistance given.
V
Elemental Resistance (passive): Grants elemental resistance to all elements; Each level increases the resistance given.

(14/20)
Mana Store (passive): Grants an extra store of mana. Each level increases the amount stored.
V
Iron Glass (passive): Grants an extra boost to HP. Each level increases the boost.
V
Mana Battery (passive): Regenerate a small amount of MP automatically; each level increases the amount restored.

(15/20)
Phase Door: Caster magically shifts a short distance. Each level decreases the cast time and increases the control over where the caster lands.
V
Teleport: Caster magically shifts a long distance, or caster’s party (self included) shifts a short distance; each level decreases the cast time and increases control.
V
Runic Return: Caster magically shifts self and party to a town or an uncleared dungeon; level increases the number of casts allowed per day (starting at 1). (Note: Cannot be used inside of combat.)

(16/20)
Detect: Caster uses magic to sense the nature of surroundings or a target subject; levels increase the range and sensitivity of the detection.
V
Scan: Caster uses magic to sense for something specific, e.g. monsters, items, traps, alignment; levels increase the range and accuracy of the scan.
V
Scry: Caster uses magic to peek at a remote location or person; levels increase the details gleaned from scrying.

(17/20)
Telepathy: Caster creates a mental link, enabling the sharing of thoughts mentally; each level increases the amount of people capable of sharing the link with.
V
Closed Mind: Caster renders themselves immune to being read. This protection extends to other forms of spells, techniques, and skills as well; level increases how resistant the caster becomes.
V
Mindreader: Caster reads the mind of target individual, learning their next course of action; level increases the success rate of gathering useful information.

(18/20)
IMPORTANT: THIS ABILITY IS LOCKED FROM WOODSMAN AND PALADINS UNTIL LEVEL 300! IT IS LOCKED FROM JOATS UNTIL 600!
Mana Generator (passive): A small amount of mana is generated at the end of a caster’s turn. Level increases the amount of mana gained; stacks with Mana Battery (which generates mana at the beginning of a turn).
V
Materia Morpher (passive): AP and EP gain during battles is slightly increased; level increases the amount increased.
V
Sage’s Secret (passive): EXP gain is slightly increased; level increases amount.

(19/20)
Star Strength (passive): Mage gains bonuses to stats depending on the terrain; level increases the amount gained.
V
Star Power (passive): The mage’s party (but not the mage themselves) gets bonuses to stats depending on the terrain; level increases the amount gained.
V
Star’s Wisdom (passive): Enemies who do not have the benefit of star strength or star power receive a penalty to stats depending on the terrain; level increases the penalty inflicted on them.

(20/20)
Area Control (passive): mage’s area-of-effect spells are amplified; level increases the amount of the increase.
V
Party Power (passive): mage’s multiple-target spells are amplified; level increases the amount of the increase.
V
Protection Pact (passive): mage gains significant boosts to all stats when traveling as an adventuring party with others. (Disclaimer: only works if there is at least one member of the party who has warrior as one of their classes; a party of all-mages/all-woodsmen would not receive this bonus.)

Overall, I think mages have turned out the way I was hoping them to: significant offensive capabilities, while making excellent support and having plenty of spells devoted to saving themselves from certain death (as they can't take a hit). Their spells are to me quite intuitive, working well together, with no ability being useful and creating the ability to chain several things together in ways that not even I can fully foresee.

They fill the role as I described it perfectly.
In general, they can't take much of a hit, but their spells are strong enough to turn the tide of battle so that their team can dish out more damage than they take. When it comes to one-on-one fights, Mages (while far from useless) are almost always at the disadvantage, as their strength typically lies in dealing with groups of enemies.
They are at their most powerful when working with others, yet they still are able to handle themselves as individuals and are not entirely reliant on others.

They have incredible variety, and in fact have access to a lot of unique abilities. Furthermore, they're not just specialized to combat--their spells are extremely useful for dungeon crawls (to avoid traps, solve puzzles, and the like) and can be used outside of combat for incredibly mundane things. (Did you like the "pour a cup of coffee" example? I thought it was a nice touch. :P)

They give significant augmentation abilities to the other classes, yet are themselves extremely capable of being augmented. Their abilities might be a little overpowered, but again, their frail nature balances that out in the longrun. (Theoretically, anyway.)

So with this undertaking finally finished, I think I can finally say that I'm making progress...and am a third of the way done. Not as far as I was hoping to be by June, but still, if I keep this rate up, I might be able to make a release of some kind by my original schedule! :D

(With luck, the RPG. Once I've got all three classes figured out, along with special abilities each combo may possess...I still have to work out the logistics involved with the abilities I've been describing--how much MP they cost to cast, how much they get boosted by stats, how much they cost to purchase or upgrade with EP/AP, what order the abilities are unlocked in, etc. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. :P)
"We're getting there!", 21st Jun 2012, 10:17 PM #28
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
I finished most of the Energy Warrior tree!

I like what I see, too.

It's similar but not identical to the Energy Mage tree, and you can tell that Energy Warriors are more combat-oriented. Yet they still have that Energy feel, in that they are built to outlast the opponents, especially with a few of their skills giving them HUGE exploitability.

Note on Warriors: Some of their skills can be combo’d. For instance, in a single turn, they can perform an arc, an arc, and then finish with chain strike.

Offense:
-Arc/Arc/Chain Strike: 1/2/3. A single electrified swing of the weapon; chain strike hits multiple foes.
-Jolt/Jolt/Circuit: 1/2/3. A single electrified jab of the weapon; circuit hits multiple foes.
-Charged Swing/Charged Swing/Cutting Strike: 1/2/3. User does a single spin around, charging the weapon; cutting strike hits multiple foes.
-Split Approach/Split Approach/Deadly Current: 1/2/3. A series of electrified jabs of the weapon; deadly current hits multiple foes.
-Charged Throw/Charged Throw/Overcharged Sling: 1/2/3. User electrifies their weapon and flings it at target; overcharged sling can pierce multiple foes on trajectory.
-Area Flow/Area Flow/Power Flow: 1/2/3. User gains control of an area; any enemies within the area are electrified; power flow makes the entire enemy’s current position automatically part of user’s area.
-Initial Jump/Initial Jump/Final Charge: 1/2/3. User charges enemies in a defensive stance; final charge trades the defensive stance for pure offense.
-Rebound/Rebound/Counter-strike: 1/2/3. User takes defensive stance; any attacks on user will be met by a retaliatory attack free of charge.

Non-Offensive:
-Divine Might/Divine Might/Power of Grayskull: 1/2/3. User raises weapon above head; lightning bolt hits weapon, charging the user; they refill a significant amount of their MP and any enemy standing right next to them is instantly fried.
-Fighting Spirit/Fighting Spirit/Eternal Spirit: 1/2/3. User recovers some HP, gains a speed boost, and has their next attack be significantly increased.
-Bolstered Challenge/Bolstered Challenge/Suicidal Overconfidence: 1/2/3. User issues a challenge to all enemies; enemies are required to target the user and the user only. User gains significant defensive bonus, except with suicidal overconfidence which changes it to an MP bonus.
-Rubber Gloves/Inverted Current/Battle Energy: 1/2/3. Energy attacks are nullified/absorbed; Battle Energy gives resistance to all elements, but double resistance to energy.

As you can tell, Warriors are clearly meant to be melee fighters, but are not exclusive to just close-range attacks, having a few abilities allowing them to deal damage of different types. Furthermore, while the majority of their attacks are single-target, they have plenty of multi-target attacks as well.

Small note: One of the things which helped me kickstart my work on the RPG again was a series of games. Specifically, Monster's Den and its two sequels. It was probably D&D inspired, with Clerics, Warriors, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, and a few others (Conjurer and Barbarian, but there might be more I don't remember). Playing through it gave me a lot of ideas, since it had a working battle system which had similarities with what I was planning.
And I played it so frequently that for most of the Energy Warrior's MP-based skills, I had to strongly resist the urge to type "Power" rather than MP. :P

So I'd say that series of games has definitely earned its spot among my pantheon of inspiration.

(Speaking of which...I've gotten the strong desire to work on my extra pages, with the threads I've seen about them. None of them are even close to finished. Characters is the closest, but even there it needs a lot of work.
And also...I'm of course thinking about drawing the art in the new style for all my current characters. So far, I've only got three of the twelve.

Also, also...I want to finish my scriptmaking.

Also, also, also...I want to finish the expression challenge for all 12 characters, when I'm not even done with the first.

Also, also, also, also...I still need to do my last-minute rush to finish my 30 panels for NaNoManGo.

Ah, how much I have to do...... :P)
"I need to go faster.", 22nd Jun 2012, 8:38 PM #29
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
As much as I like the pace of finishing an elemental class a day, I really need to pick up the slack and get down to it. But for now, I've finished the Fire Warrior.

Note: Mage summons summon things for a single (named) attack (think Final Fantasy--you summon Ifrit and he does the attack Hellfire); warriors summon things for a massive power-up.

Offense:
-Spark/Spark/Fire Wave: 1/2/3. A single blazed swing of the weapon; Fire Wave hits multiple foes.
-Lance/Lance/Melt: 1/2/3. A single blazed jab of the weapon; Melt hits multiple foes.
-Fueled Flame/Fueled Flame/Fierce Blow: 1/2/3. User spins around, heating weapon; Fierce Blow hits multiple foes.
-Spinning Flame/Spinning Flame/Wheel of Death: 1/2/3. A circle of blazed jabs with the weapon; Wheel of Death hits multiple foes.
-Fast Pitch/Fast Pitch/Curveball: 1/2/3. User emblazes their weapon and flings it at high speeds at target; curveball adds a spin to the weapon’s swing, hitting all foes who come in contact with it.
-Circle of Flame/Circle of Flame/Ring of Combat: 1/2/3. User gains control of an area; any enemies within the area are burned, and can only attack those inside of the area; Ring of Combat makes entire enemy’s current position automatically part of user’s area.
-Rising Star/Rising Star/Blaze of Glory: 1/2/3. User charges enemies in an offensive stance; Blaze of Glory converts any defensive capability into pure offense.
-Greek Fire/Greek Fire/Devil’s Damage: 1/2/3. User takes a cautious stance; any attacks on user or adjacent allies will be met by a retaliatory attack free of charge.
*9: Summon—Dungeon Wyvern/Striker Ivaria/Sarphyre.

Non-Offensive:
-Bloodlust/Bloodlust/Berserk: 1/2/3. User holds weapon out, inviting harm while laughing it away. They are engulfed in flames and recover all their HP, frying any enemy foolish enough to have gotten inside their circle of death. User then gains a considerable boost to all offense-related stats and becomes immune to all negative status ailments, but can only use the standard attack until this status is cured. Berserk grants a speed boost and cures all status ailments as well.
-Battle Hound/Battle Hound/Glorious Death: 1/2/3. User’s next (few) attack(s) will be a guaranteed critical. All enemies attacking will have significantly reduced damage when targeting the user, and when the user’s next attack hits, the target of the attack will take a permanent damage penalty. Furthermore, the more HP which the user has lost, the stronger this technique becomes. Glorious Death offers the chance to sacrifice HP, along with also granting the critical bonus for multiple turns rather than just one.
-Battle Chant/Battle Chant/War Cry: 1/2/3. User utters a cry which buffs all allies and debuffs all enemies. As a side-effect, enemies have a significantly increased chance of targeting the user. Every time they do target the user, the user gains a speed boost and significant spike in offensive power.
-Flamesuit/Burning Desire/Infernal Strength: 1/2/3. Fire attacks on user are nullified/absorbed; Infernal Strength gives resistance to all elements, with doubled resistance to Fire.

Still liking what I am doing, though a little less so than I liked the Energy Warrior tree. It's got less in common with the Fire Mage tree, and more in common with the Energy Mage tree. It does clearly have the Fire feel, though, in that they're built to be the powerhouses of the Warrior class--the ultimate offensive fighters. They're not pure offense, though, having multiple skills which cover defense, with plenty giving speed boosts as well.

Overall, the Fire Warrior is slightly less flexible and more specialized than the Energy Warrior, but is still plenty flexible, with the same capability for dealing damage of different types. They have slightly better attacks than the Energy Warrior, but the tradeoff is that their defensive techniques are less abundant and less effective--plus they are slightly less capable of defending their allies.

But again, their power on the offensive is unrivaled by any other, and it shows--their skills can still be exploited, but unlike the Energy Warrior exploitations which are potentially infinitely repeatable (Divine Might/Power of Grayskull replenishes their MP), Fire Warrior exploitations have definite limits. Still, they're mighty-powerful if done correctly; Infernal Strength (and/or Burning Desire), War Cry, (Optional: Greek Fire and Ring of Combat,) Glorious Death and sacrificing as much HP as the Warrior can spare...and THEN going Berserk? You're up against a Warrior who is resistant to all elements and immune to their own, who has insane offensive power, is faster than probably everyone else, immune to negative status ailments (but still capable of being buffed by positive ones!), whose attacks are guaranteed to crit for even more insane damage, who you are FORCED to target, despite the fact that the attacks will do next-to-nothing against them, and to make it worse, if Greek Fire was included...they counter-attack as well.

(Of course, the main problem here is in the setup. The same goes for Energy Warriors as well, for a simple reason--Warriors are front-line fighters. They're already going to be taking a lot of damage, they're already going to be the main target for status ailments, so if you were stupid enough to let it be set up, then you probably deserve the death you're about to receive. :P)

I must say that overall...I'm quite satisfied with them.
"This feels kinda wrong.", 25th Jun 2012, 9:26 PM #30
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
So right now, I'm in the middle of an experiment.

I feel quite dirty for it, but I'm not going to use this in any way for the comic. It's just practice, to see a few things. (Despite me telling myself that, it doesn't make me feel any less guilty about having done this.)

Remember this reference image? The one I made using anime character maker?

Well, normally, when I have reference images, what that means is that I look at it and try to mimic it. Copy it and modify it by sight and sight alone. Think of it this way: in an art class, you're asked to draw a vase which is in the center of the class with students surrounding it. The vase is the reference image, and my canvas is my attempt to recreate it, my mimicry of it.

And that? That's something that I'm perfectly fine with. I'm fine using reference images that way. I can even call it my own art, because I made it simply by looking. Heck, it's pretty much my defacto method. I try to replicate something as much as I can, minus a few artistic flairs I add. All my drawings of, say, the two longswords I own are like this. All my drawings of Aragorn's face, hand, and sword are like this. A lot of my pencil drawings start by looking at an online tutorial as a baseline. Or (when I get a little more comfortable) looking at my own drawings and trying to modify them from being one character into being another. That's all good and fine to me.

Well...just as an experiment, I decided to try dumping it into paint.NET, and drawing over it. That? That's not as acceptable to me. It came in stages, of course. This was the first stage.

Then I decided I wanted to get the face from the original FaceMaker program, the one which (more or less) looks like this, which resulted in this. Then came the brushwork, resulting in this, and then detail work, resulting in this. And I've now expanded the canvas and moved him to the top, since the next step is to draw his right arm, draw his legs, and draw his wings fully extended (the whole thing which sparked this idea; I wanted to draw his wings fully extended), which for the moment looks like this.

Technically, it's probably some of my best art ever, but...it's not really my art, now, is it? I drew it, yes. I designed the look, yes. But rather than having drawn it, like the vase example above, I basically just COPIED it, as if I had just traced over someone else's work, filled in a few gaps, and slapped my name on it rather than theirs. It's down-right cheating, hence why I can never use it.

Heck, I'm thinking that once I finish it and take good notes that I might even delete it, despite how good it may look, simply because...well, it's not mine.

Still, though. It's good practice. I learned a thing or two about paint.NET when using it, including having a good idea on how to properly use transparency, as you can tell by the aura around Argus's hand. I learned how to better use the tools in the program, and I even learned how to make Argus look more realistic, yet still have the look I want for him. As I said, I'll be taking a lot of notes on the final image (especially the things which I CAN claim to be mine--the arm, the legs, and the wings which I haven't yet drawn plus the horns), because it's already been quite a good learning experience with drawing. It has a nice balance between realism and the simplistic design, for starters, and even has some fairly decent shading. And it didn't take too long to make, either. I started this no later than half an hour after my post in unrelated art, which was apparently at ~10:20, and four hours later, here I am.

Granted, it's not finished. Granted, I can't really call it my art, anyway. Granted, when I finally master everything, I'll want to finish characters in less than an hour each, as to minimize the amount of time spent drawing them. (It is currently two hours each to make them look like this.)

But still, a good experience, even if it feels like cheating. Rather than honest work, this is like taking the ultimate shortcut. (Hence, why I'll likely delete them when finished.)
26th Jun 2012, 12:03 AM #31
MatthewJA
MattyJA
Referrals: 19
Registration date: 26th Sep 2010
Tracing is an awesome way to get better at art. When I was starting out with my tablet, I had to trace a few things before I could even draw circles >_>
"Thanks.", 26th Jun 2012, 2:00 AM #32
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
Heh. That makes me feel a lot better, Matt. It's still not my preferred method, though. More accurate, sure, but less satisfying than replicating it by hand. I got very little satisfaction from making an image which got close to the original when it was a trace. (It was of course quite educational, just not as much fun to draw or look at.)

Had I done the same with it instead being a sketch, well, then that'd have been something to be really happy about, that I got so close simply by analyzing the original and trying my best to duplicate it.

(Also, I was beginning to get worried that I'd go a whole page with nobody other than myself commenting, which your comment finally broke. :P)
26th Jun 2012, 2:27 AM #33
MatthewJA
MattyJA
Referrals: 19
Registration date: 26th Sep 2010
Well, with enough of this sort of practice you'll be able to draw something without it being a replication. :D

e: I have been following this thread :P
26th Jun 2012, 5:03 AM #34
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
MatthewJA:Well, with enough of this sort of practice you'll be able to draw something without it being a replication. :D
That, too. Tracing something-->very little satisfaction. Replicating something via sketching it-->quite some bit of satisfaction.

Unique creation unassisted?
Probably the most satisfying thing I could feel. :P (Especially if it matches or beats the other two.)
"Well, progress is progress...", 26th Jun 2012, 8:37 PM #35
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
I'm not exactly feeling happy with my Ice Warrior tree.

Offense:
-Strike/Strike/Swipe: 1/2/3. A single frosted swing of the weapon; swipe hits multiple foes.
-Snap/Snap/Clamp: 1/2/3. A single frosted quick jab of the weapon; clamp hits multiple foes and doubles their chance of being frozen.
-Skate/Trap/Shutdown: 1/2/3. Skate—User spins around, chilling the weapon; Trap—user flairs weapon, chilling it while countering any enemy’s weapon before the slash; Shutdown—a combination of Skate then Trap, which hits multiple foes.
-Spring/Spring/Blitzkrieg: 1/2/3. A series of frosted jabs of the weapon; blitzkrieg hits multiple foes, tripling their chance of being frozen, doubling their chance of being slowed.
-Mint Breath/Mint Breath/Chilled Breath: 1/2/3. User chills weapon and flings it at target, ignoring all defenses; chilled breath speeds up the attack and allows it to pass through obstacles on the way to its target.
-Igloo Area/Igloo Area/Winter Fort: 1/2/3. User gains control of an area; any enemies within the area are instantly chilled, slowed, and have their resistance to freezing if present set to zero (and if none is present, have it significantly below zero, increasing their chance of being frozen drastically), and the user gains a significant bonus to defense; Winter Fort puts all enemies automatically contained within the area.
-White Blanket/White Blanket/Ambush: 1/2/3. User charges enemies at blazing speeds, significantly reducing enemy’s chances of successfully defending against the charge; ambush sacrifices user’s defense to increase the damage of the offense.
-Readiness/Readiness/Expedition: 1/2/3. User takes a stance preparing to pounce at any enemies who get near; any attacks within user’s range will have a chance of being intercepted; expedition grants a significant increase in this skill’s range.
*9: Summon—Ruler Chivu/Narve Rixia/Shyrūsanzer Kelum.

Non-Offensive:
-Arctic Wind/Arctic Wind/Antarctic Wind: 1/2/3. User swings weapon around their head, summoning the frosty winds which bombard any enemy within their circle of death, freezing them. User gains a significant boost to their speed, while slowing down all enemies and giving them a slight penalty to their defense. Antarctic Wind causes a penalty to the user’s defense, in exchange for a significant reduction in MP cost and a boost in speed proportional to the defense lost.
-Foolhardy Fighter/Hellfrozen Fighter/Ardent Explorer: 1/2/3. User sacrifices HP for an increase in defense and significant increase in speed; all skills which can be combo’d now attack an extra time. Hellfrozen Fighter has less of a speed increase but restores some MP. Ardent Explorer changes the HP loss into MP drained, in exchange for a significant increase in damage.
-Icy Idol/Icy Idol/Winter Warrior: 1/2/3. User becomes the sole target of all enemies. As a side-effect, all enemies begin losing MP when attacking. Winter Warrior adds in HP loss as well.
-Polar Skin/Frozen Heart/Icy Spirit: 1/2/3. Ice attacks on user are nullified/absorbed; Icy Spirit gives resistance to all elements, with doubled resistance to Ice.

The reason why I'm not too happy with it is that the Ice Warrior actually feels too similar to the Ice Mage. Yes, Ice is the offensive element of speed, but I think I went a little overboard with their skills, here, in that...well...they're a little more Glass Cannons than I would prefer for an offensive Warrior.

Again, they seem to have more in common with the Ice Mage than they do with other Warriors, and their non-offensive skills seem a lot weaker than the other warrior's skills do.

I guess it's okay overall, though, because they're still built for offense and speed. Fragile Speedster, Glass Cannon, both present, yet they DO have SOME skills devoted to defense, making them Mighty Glaciers at times as well. Oh, and their skills all pretty badly hinder the enemy, too, so there's that to make them stronger as well.

Their base combo attacks are more diverse than the other warriors so far, and overall, their skills mess with the enemy a lot. They don't have a lot dealing with defending their allies, but they are quite capable of doing so. They have the same capability to deal in range and magic attacks as the other warriors, and quite clearly, they have enough skills to not die quickly. Their focus seems to be in the right place--attacking fast, attacking hard, and trying to make it so that the enemy can't attack fast, can't attack hard, and can't prepare their defenses.

So I guess it's mission accomplished. It just...well, feels different.

EDIT:
Just completed the Earth Warrior tree.
NOTE: the Gash and Skull Splitter family of skills can only be twice-combo'd rather than the normal three-combo. For instance, you can do Sting/Sting/Fling, but you can only do Gash/Bite.

Offense:
-Gash/Gash/Fling: 1/2/3. A single swing of the weapon empowered by the earth; Fling hits multiple foes and can send them flying.
-Sting/Sting/Bite: 1/2/3. A single jab of the weapon empowered by the earth with poison imbued in the weapon; Bite hits multiple foes and adds chance of petrifaction.
-Skull Splitter/Terrific Tumor/Foe Fracture: 1/2/3. A gigantic swing of the weapon empowered by the earth; Foe Fracture hits multiple foes, sends them flying, and causes guaranteed stun.
-Ivy Strike/Leafblade Leap/Fourth Flora: 1/2/3. A series of strikes with the weapon enhanced by the power of nature to have significantly increases chances of status effects; Leafblade Leap is faster and stronger at the cost of having less chance of inflicting the status effects; Fourth Flora hits multiple foes with full damage and an increased chance of status effects, guaranteeing at least one will be inflicted on all the skill touches.
-Hammer Throw/Axe Swing/Target Toss: 1/2/3. User throws their weapon up at an angle to hit their target, bypassing any ground-level defenses at the cost of accuracy; when hit, the weapon explodes, sending (status-inflicting) debris everywhere. Target Toss guarantees a hit on the target and adds in mulch to the debris for additional chance of damage and status ailments.
-Wisher’s Wall/High Heresy/Terra Temple: 1/2/3. User creates a zone of control, where they are the master. Any enemies within this area automatically have any resistance to status ailments removed, and any status ailments they were not resistant to they are now more susceptible to. Enemies take significant speed, defense, and offensive penalties as well. Furthermore, they automatically take some earth damage when entering and extreme earth damage if they attempt to leave. Terra Temple puts all enemies automatically in this zone. (NOTE: Unlike most skills, for this earth ability it takes two turns to complete.)
-Stone Wall/Tortoise Shell/Rock On: 1/2/3. User gains significant defense and offense bonus while charging an enemy; Rock On sacrifices defense while granting an HP bonus and a significant increase in both speed and offense.
-Power Poison/Stunning Strength/Boulder Barrier: 1/2/3. User takes a cautious stance; any enemies entering within striking range will automatically receive a status ailment from the user at no cost, and the user gains a significant increase in defense and offense. Boulder Barrier grants a significant chance of a second status ailment, while giving a slight increase in speed and range of this skill.
*9: Summon—Tonhecmal the Titan/Fenris/Taia Gyr.

Non-Offensive:
-Nature Network/Gaia’s Ground/Teutonic Transfer: 1/2/3. Nature Network—user gains a significant increase in speed, while simultaneously beginning to leech the speed of enemies. Gaia’s Ground—user gains a significant increase in defense, while simultaneously any enemies within range lose all of theirs. Teutonic Transfer—user gains a significant increase in offensive capabilities, and simultaneously all enemies begin to start suffering from status ailments.
-Single Choice/Sadistic Switch/Precious Plan: 1/2/3. User sacrifices their ability to combo attacks—in exchange, they are granted significant increases in HP, defense, and offense, with a great increase in speed. Sadistic Switch grants less of a speed bonus, but allows for the ability to combo non-offensive moves. Precious plan can increase the boost of HP, defense, offense, and speed by sacrificing MP, and if cast after Sadistic Switch, offers the chance (but not requirement) to switch back to being able to combo attacks but not non-offensive skills at the cost of all remaining MP.
-Temporary Truce/True Target/Injury Immune: 1/2/3. Temporary Truce—prevents everyone (enemies and allies alike) from causing any harm (damage) to each other for a short period of time. True Target—forces everyone (enemies and allies alike) to target user. Injury Immune—user may only receive beneficial things and rejects any negatives such as status ailments for a time.
-Rocky Start/Earthen Impact/Natural Selection: 1/2/3. User gains resistance to earth and if this is the first skill used by the user in battle, user takes a speed penalty in exchange for a massive increase in defense and HP. Earthen Impact negates the speed penalty of Rocky Start, grants immunity to earth, and significantly increases offense and MP. Natural Selection increases everything, grants resistance to all elements, and if Rocky Start/Earthen Impact were both cast before this technique, immunity to status ailments and doubles resistance to all elements.

I think one thing I'm noticing in Warriors is a consistent trend--they do a lot of internal trading. They sacrifice something, in exchange for a lot. This was not something I'd actually really intended to have done, but I like its effect, especially in the Earth Warrior tree, which cranks it up: there are more sacrifices to be made, and more incentive to make those choices. Furthermore, the earth skill tree has more variety than the others, something I like the idea of. To top it all off, most of the penalties involved with earth have to do with speed, in exchange for other factors.

Overall, I think the Earth Warrior is probably good. It's got significant protection abilities, and decent offensive capabilities. It's not as much of a powerhouse as Fire Warriors are, and its abilities aren't as combo-able as Energy Warriors are. And, obviously, they lack the speediness of Ice Warriors. However, in exchange for that, they're masters of creating strong combat strategies--after having cast Sadistic Switch, on their next turn, a fully upgraded Temporary Truce with True Target/Injury Immune (which don't have to be fully upgraded, though True Target offers more flexibility with additional levels in it) buys five turns for the Earth Warrior's team to prepare themselves, buffing the Earth Warrior up and allowing them to maximize their build.

Their abilities aren't infinite, but they're probably the best for most general situations, given that they have a response to anything. Yes, most of their abilities are good only for specific situations, but because of the variety in said skills, they have an ability for every situation.

Basically, slow and steady wins the race. Guard an Earth Warrior, and they become virtually invincible. Let an Earth Warrior guard you, and they'll still be tough to take down. Slow, but very effective at their job when given the time to do it.

Probably not perfect, but I like 'em for now.
"Yay!", 28th Jun 2012, 6:21 AM #36
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
Side-note, I did an update on my Characters Page, but it's not the focus of this update.

The real update here is that I just finished the Light Warrior.

As a reminder--Light is the Warrior element of duty; those who have it as one of their elements devote themselves to a cause—good or evil—and their skills are mostly devoted to helping achieve their mission, whatever it may be.

Offense:
-Smite/Smite/Divine Strike: 1/2/3. A single swing of a sword imbued with the strength of light; does bonus damage to corrupt, impure, undead, and other such things. Divine Strike causes an explosion of light upon contact with the enemy, damaging all nearby foes.
-Summon Sword/Summon Sword/Conjure Weapon: 1/2/3. User summons a light duplicate of their weapon to throw at an enemy, which explodes on contact. Conjure Weapon allows for the user to keep the summoned weapon after it has been thrown.
-Dutiful Sacrifice/Dutiful Sacrifice/Glorious Charge: 1/2/3. User charges enemy, buffing everything except one of HP+MP, Defense, Offense, or Speed, which they sacrifice as the cost. Glorious Charge inflicts the opposite effect, debuffing everything on the enemy except one of the above which they choose to increase. Glorious Charge also offers the buffs to adjacent allies.
-No Sell/No Sell/You Shall Not Pass: 1/2/3. User takes defensive stance and gets a massive boost to defense and offense, while simultaneously guarding all allies behind the user. A wave of light is shot out from the user to engulf enemies, dealing bonus damage to those in the front and extreme damage to any charging. You Shall Not Pass makes this guarding effect last until the user’s death.
-Fist of the Monk/Holy Hand Grenade/Defense Turnaround: 1/2/3. Fist of the Monk—a light-empowered punch from the user. Holy Hand Grenade is the same, but offers the chance to launch it from the fist at a single enemy from a distance, or hurl it as a bomb to hit multiple. Defense Turnaround blocks an incoming strike with whatever is most suited for the task (be it a shield, a hand, a sword, or something else) and then turns it around to counter-attack. Defense Turnaround gains a significant boost from Sixth Sense and can be directed with Divine Direction.

Non-Offensive:
-Lay-on-Hands/Heal Minor Wounds/Heal Major Wounds: 1/2/3. User fully heals themselves/heals another for a small amount/either heals another for a large amount or the party for a small amount.
-Iron Will/Iron Will/Determined: 1/2/3. User becomes more resistant to all damage, gains a bonus to all rolls, and gains a chance to survive otherwise-lethal hits. Determined grants resistance to all negative status ailments as well.
-Flag/Flag/Rally: 1/2/3. User buffs all allies and restores some of the allies’ MP. In addition to that, allies gain a boost to their desperation bar and its fill rate. As a side-effect, however, enemies will begin to target the user of this skill to take the buff out.
-Solar Powered/Solar Screen/Solar Shield: 1/2/3. Powered—User absorbs light attacks. Screen—User gains resistance to magic and ranged, with a slight resistance to melee. Shield—user gains resistance to all elements. If Powered has been cast, grant 1.5 times resistance. If Screen has been cast, grant 2 times resistance (stacks with the previous for a total of 3.5 times normal elemental resistance).
-Live Again/Resurrect/Life Mission: 1/2/3. Live Again—user revives fallen ally. Resurrect—user gains ability to self-revive for rest of battle. Life Mission prevents the loss of any buffs or positive status effects that being dead normally removes.
-Sixth Sense/Sixth Sense/Divine Deduction: 1/2/3. Outside of battle, grants user a sixth sense as a passive skill allowing them to detect any danger to them or their allies; Divine Deduction allows for this to become conscious and to pin down exactly what is pinging their radar. Inside of battle if cast by the user grants a massive bonus to evasion and instinct; Divine Deduction grants a damage and speed bonus as well.
-Sway Person/Charm Animal/Summon Steed: 1/2/3. Sway Person—target(s) are more likely to agree with the user’s mission. Charm Animal—turns target creature into user’s pet. Summon Steed—summons any previously charmed animals as companions inside of battle.

Basically, the idea behind Light Warriors was to combine the Paladin with Jedi. I think you can clearly see the influence from both of those, but the class goes beyond that. It clearly has elements of the Warrior class in general, giving decent offensive power (despite not being designed for offense), offering sacrifices, giving self-buffs, and defending/protecting/buffing allies up considerably.

I really like it. It's probably not perfect, and, yeah, it does actually kinda weaken both the Light Mage and the Wind Mage with how much it offers to protect others, but the Light Warrior is clearly a little more combat-oriented than the Light Mage and Wind Mage are, meaning they're better as support than the Light Mage is. Decent healing, decent defense, decent offense, decent abilities, neat overall outlook...it's definitely good. Probably one of the more balanced, most average classes out there. (Then again, it's also the warrior tree I most heavily borrowed from another source material, in that I was having trouble coming up with more than six of the twelve skills listed here. :P)
"It took a surprising amount of research to come up with this.", 28th Jun 2012, 10:09 PM #37
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
So darkness is the warrior element of passion, but I was kinda wondering what to do with it. I haven't started with the skills, yet, however, I HAVE gotten what I think will be the seven "emotions" of the warrior's passion, which took a lot of work.

Anger/Rage/Hatred/Wrath/Drive—Red
Terror/Fear/Anxiety/Shock/Surprise—Yellow
Sadness/Despair/Remorse/Shame/Guilt/Grief/Laziness—Blue
Happiness/Serenity/Hope/Will—Green
Excitement/Interest/Anticipation/Greed—Orange
Compassion/Love/Trust/Acceptance/Admiration/Tenderness/Vulnerability—Purple
Ignorance/Apathy/Pride/Control—Black

Red: The color of anger. The basic emotion relating to fighting, it is one of the strongest emotions we can feel. It’s not pleasant (it contains the sin wrath), but as it is part of our fundamental nature, is not negative, as it is also the emotion for pushing oneself to go harder than they are, preventing stagnation.

Yellow: The color of fear, the other of our most primal instincts relating to the urge to run away—it also is related to shock and surprise, in that when caught off-guard, we are unnerved. Furthermore, it deals with being uncomfortable, as that is itself a type of fear. However, fear is what gives us doubt, and allows us to second-guess our judgments, permitting us to make better, more-informed decisions.

Blue: The color of sadness, it covers everything relating to the slowness of life. People who feel despair are at their lowest point, where they feel most crushed and least motivated, dragging things out. Remorse keeps going on and on, with shame and guilt never truly leaving. Grief can be overcome, but again, the sadness within us all runs deep, and due to this sadness, it is where the sin of sloth comes in. However, it is because of this sadness that we have morals, for it is our sadness, our experience with the negative, which allows us to most strongly drive for the positive.

Green: The color of happiness, it covers being at peace with oneself, while also being the drive to achieve said happiness—that is why it is also the color of hope and will, for the will to shape a better world and the hope of it coming true are both to do with happiness.

Orange: The color of excitement, it covers interest in things, and it is this emotion which makes people anticipate things in advance, making it great for planning and great for interaction with others. However, this emotion also has a dark-side, in that both greed and gluttony come from the interest in things as well.

Purple: The color of understanding others, it covers a wide variety of things. The understanding of another is necessary to show compassion to them. You cannot love something you do not at least partially understand. Trust comes from the knowledge, the understanding, that another will be there for you. Acceptance comes from understanding another and knowing they are flawed. Admiration comes from understanding another and wishing you were more like that. Tenderness comes from understanding oneself, and knowing you are not perfect, as vulnerable as that makes you feel.
Be warned, though, that Purple is also the color responsible for the sins of envy and lust, for it is a strong emotion that can often be overwhelming. In thinking another is greater than oneself, one must be careful not to harbor resentment, and in showing a like for another, one must accept that it may not be mutual.

Black: More of a lack in emotion than an actual emotion itself, black is the emotion of distance. It is the emotion dealing with being in control of oneself and allowing discipline. However, the emotion requires knowledge to go with it, as control is not something which comes naturally, but rather, is learned and trained with time. As such, it is the embodiment of ignorance, as a lack of understanding results in a failure to control. The sin of pride comes from this lack of control, as one can become boastful of things they best not have said.

You can tell that I was influenced by the Green Lantern take on things, as well as incorporating the seven sins into the emotions. However, there were many sources drawn from to try and come up with seven balanced yet interactive emotions, and I think I basically nailed it down.

Red, the most uncontrollable, the most passionate, is the strongest emotion.
Black, the most in control, is the 'weakest' emotion, as it is the emotion of coolness.
Yellow is the second-most-primal.
Purple isn't necessarily the second-weakest, but it IS the second-most-controlled emotion, in that it is the emotion which relies on experience the second-most.
And so on.

I think I made it so that each emotion is part of the fundamental nature of people, and that the strongest people are those who make good use of each. Each emotion has an upside, and each emotion has a downside. They all serve a purpose, yet they all have a cost. It's not perfect, of course (since emotions interact way too much and the lines between them are extremely blurry, making absolute definitions pretty much impossible), but I think it captures the nature of passion, of emotions, pretty dang well, and I'll be using it to create the Darkness Warrior class.

EDIT:
Well, the class isn't quite finished, but it's half-way there.

Offense:
-Precision Strike/Controlled Strike/Distant Finish: 1/2/3. User coolly slashes at opponent, imbued by the darkness with extreme control, with distant finish dealing considerable damage to all enemies. Gains power the more in control of oneself the user is and how much they understand the situation.
-Admirable Kinship/Accepting Weakness/Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: 1/2/3. User charges enemies. If allies follow in charge, all members receive a significant buff. A further bonus is granted if the user utters a meaningful one-liner (e.g. “For Frodo”) before-hand. Gains power the more compassionate, understanding, trustful, and/or accepting the user is of others, and how much others are of the user. Further bonuses are granted if the user feels vulnerable or looks up to someone. As a bonus, unless the enemy possesses these qualities, they receive a serious debuff to all stats, guaranteed to at least half them, halts the progress of their desperation bar, reduces their HP and their MP, reduces the chances of them making a successful attack, reduces their ability to defend against attacks, and any attacks they make reflect half the damage back at them automatically.
-Overeager Anticipation/Gluttonous Gain/Greedy Guard: 1/2/3. User takes a cautious stance, launching an attack at the same time an enemy launches an attack at them. User takes a penalty to defense, in exchange for a massive increase in offense. Gluttonous Gain sacrifices HP in order to inflict the “condemn” status ailment on the enemy, and Greedy Guard sacrifices HP in order to attempt an Instant Death strike. Gains power, speed, and chance of success based off of how excited, invested, greedy, and/or hungry the user is.
-Hopeful Hold/Die to feel Alive/Peaceful Presence: 1/2/3. User begins to protect all allies, buffing them, but user takes a penalty to their own stats in the process. Any enemy charging is instantly vaporized. Any enemy within range takes significant darkness damage. Any enemy who attacks while this skill is in effect has the damage returned to them and magnified. Gains power the happier, more stubborn, and/or idealistic the user is.
-Lazy Strike/Shameful Strike/Deliverance of Despair: 1/2/3. User lazily throws their weapon at a random enemy. Deliverance of Despair hits multiple enemies. When the skill is maxed out, it automatically puts all enemies to sleep, has its damage multiplied many times, and depletes all their MP. When the enemies wake up, they will be less likely to attack and will stay on the defensive or run away. Gains power the more depressed the user is, as well as gaining power the more remorseful the user is. Furthermore, skill can be used if user is asleep, and does maximum damage.
*6: (Summon deals with the emotion of fear)
*7: (Deals with rage)

Non-Offensive:
-Ignorant Claim/Boastful Proclamation/Sinful Pride: 1/2/3. User boasts of their capabilities, receiving a buff to everything boasted about. As a consequence, enemies are now more likely to target the user and are given a buff to all attacks against the user of this skill. The more things boasted about, the less each of them will be buffed. Gains power the more the user believes in what they are saying.
-Trustful Understanding/Love Hurts Good/Envious Veil: 1/2/3. User trusts in their allies to defend them, sacrificing all their defense and evading capabilities in exchange for a massive buff to their offensive capabilities. Envious Veil sacrifices half of the offensive buff in exchange for giving the full defensive and evasive capabilities sacrificed to all party members, granting them a slight damage and speed buff as well. Gains power the more the user trusts their allies, loves a person, and/or admires another. The bonus is doubled if the feeling is mutual.
-Excited Spirit/Invested Spirit/Power of Friendship: 1/2/3. User shows enthusiasm towards the party’s current situation and bonds with the other members of the party. As such, everyone friendly has some HP restored, and they gain the regen status. Furthermore, they all become more resistant to damage, gain bonuses to all rolls, and gain some resistance to all negative status ailments. Gains power based off of how invested and/or how bonded the user is with others, and how bonded others are to the user.
-Wishful Will/Anew Hope/Serenity Valley: 1/2/3. User shows fondness for something, and makes this known to the party, showing determination to hold onto those feelings. As a result, the user is buffed and gives a minor buff to allies. Allies also gain a considerable amount of their MP back. The whole party gains a boost to their desperation bar’s fill rate, and all abilities used from the desperation bar have their power increased. Gains power based off of how happy the user is, and/or how at peace they are at their current situation.
-Sad Strength/Moral Shame/Sinful Sloth: 1/2/3. User laments over something they regret, telling the party about their mistakes. As a result, the user takes an immediate debuff to everything, and the whole party takes a debuff to their offensive capabilities for this turn. However, on the next turn, the debuff is reversed into a buff of everything, especially offense, and the party receives a similar turnaround as the user completes their speech and turns it around. Sinful Sloth adds in an extreme speed penalty to the user, and a similar reversal on completion. Gains power based off of how sad the user is, and/or how much the user feels they hold the moral high ground in the conflict.
-Base Factor of Surprise/Fearful Troops/Nervous Second Choice: 1/2/3. User recognizes their primal instinct of fear, and sees it in others within the party as well. However, the user rallies the party and uses this anxiety, uses their fear, their nerves, their unsettlement, to give a massive buff to their speed, accuracy, and a minor increase to their offense. Nervous Second Choice allows all members of the party to take an action at half power, and then change it to another action at significantly increased power. Gains power based off of how fearful the party is, how in touch the user is with their base instincts, how unprepared the party is for their battle, how unnerved the party is by their battle, and/or how uncomfortable the party is.
-Flight-or-Fight/Raging Drive/Wrathful Vengeance: 1/2/3. Flight-or-Fight: User recognizes the urge to fight, absorbing darkness attacks, gaining resistance to all elements and a minor resistance to melee and ranged damage. User pushes their allies to go harder, granting all allies a significant offense increase. Furthermore, all desperation bars gain an immediate bonus and any ability used from the desperation bar will only drain it half as much as it would normally. Wrathful Vengeance also gives the whole party minor damage reflection, meaning all enemies attacking receive some of their damage back. Gains power based off of how angry, and/or how motivated the user is.

So I haven't actually thought of what the non-offensive skills do, exactly. I've named 'em, and that of course means I've got a good idea what each one of them will do, but it's just a vague general picture rather than anything specific.
And I still need to name the Fear and Rage ones.

But still...well...I can already tell Darkness Warriors are awesome. When their skills are fully upgraded and they are using the appropriate emotion, I think they could be stronger than any of the offensive Warriors, or even the Light Warrior. And this of course applies to their buffing capabilities as well--the more emotional the Darkness Warrior is, the stronger their capability is to use that emotion effectively.

They still sacrifice a lot, of course. And when it comes down to it, they're highly specialized and situational, in that you can't be all of these emotions at the same time so whatever emotion they're feeling the strongest is what they'll be able to use best.

Still, though, their skills are still strong enough that they'll be useful even when the Warrior isn't feeling the appropriate emotion.

Basically, if a Darkness Warrior isn't feeling the emotion they need for a powerful skill, said skill will still be decently useful for their situation.
If the Darkness Warrior IS feeling the emotion they need to unleash their powerful skill, gods help you if you're their enemy. :P
"Wow.", 30th Jun 2012, 8:43 PM #38
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
So I just finished the Darkness Warrior tree. You can see the edited-in stuff above. (I added in all of the non-offensive abilities, as well as the name of the last two non-offensive abilities which were blank before.)

And, dang, they're powerful.

Not to themselves.

Darkness Warriors look really masochistic, in fact. Many of their skills cause great harm to themselves, without really returning much (if any) benefit to them.

But, WOW, they're good at buffing up their allies. So much so, that they actually look like they'd be the class I'd choose to be as a Hero leading an adventuring party. (Imagine that, Kinas actually chose to be a good class for his adventuring party!) I suppose it makes sense. They're the Warrior Class of passion, and when it comes down to it, passion is typically seen as being more powerful and more important to a hero than duty. But, DANG, I mighta taken it a little bit overboard, there. :P

Essentially, Darkness Warriors were originally supposed to be selfish, with Light Warriors being unselfish. (The whole Jedi/Sith parallel, after all. Jedi are supposed to be selfless, Sith are supposed to be selfish.) I accidentally got it backwards, though, with Light Warriors being a little selfish and Darkness Warriors being extremely selfless.

Not that I'm really complaining, though. It sends a pretty powerful message, really--the strongest strength comes from the bond with others.

When it comes down to it, a Light Warrior is stronger by themselves than a Dark Warrior is. They're more combat-oriented than the Darkness Warrior. They're more in control as well--whereas the Darkness Warrior's prowess varies depending on their emotions, the Light Warrior remains constant in their strength. It shows their devotion to a cause quite nicely.

But in a way, it's a warning, not to become overly focused on a goal that you lose sight of what's truly important to you: others. Which comes into play when you see the two warriors in a party--the Light Warrior when used properly still guards their allies, and does so quite well. They're rallying, they're inspiring to the troops, and they are quite good at keeping people on track. They make excellent leaders, and many of their skills are devoted to making sure nobody else in the party gets hurt.

...Yet the Darkness Warrior can do all of that and more. The Darkness Warrior makes sure that they are the target. They can rally the troops, inspiring them and pointing them in the right direction. They're not bad leaders, either, in that they appear a lot more...human...than a Light Warrior would. While the Light Warrior makes sure nobody else gets hurt, the Darkness Warrior goes above and beyond to make sure that if anyone gets hurt, it's them.

I kinda like the message. It's not bad to have a duty, nor is it bad to be passionate. But the best balance is somewhere in the middle. More or less, this is keeping with the original intention of the two, in that they are neither mutually exclusive nor mutually inclusive--one could be both, one could be neither.

Pretty good job overall.

And, hey, it fits into the story as well. Kinas as a Light Warrior (well, Light Martial Artist, combining some rogue techniques with the warrior ones) was a good, honest leader, but never really found his potential.

Kinas as a Darkness Warrior (well, Paladin, combining some mage spells with the warrior ones) is a highly-troubled individual, but has a lot more potential to tap, capable of unleashing far more than he ever could before. I can't say much beyond that, unfortunately, as it'd be spoilers.
"I need to stop slacking off. :P", 5th Jul 2012, 10:07 PM #39
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
So while this isn't exactly an update itself, I'm going to say it, anyway.

I basically managed to nail down what I need to get done.

It's something I've thought I've done before, but never really have I been able to state it as simply as I did here.

Effectively, there are three things I need:

-Characters' histories.
I've gotten five of twelve done. The sixth is nearly-identical to the fifth, the seventh shouldn't take much writing, nor should the eighth.

As for The Outcasts, Davos's history is an arc which isn't too far into the future. (We'll get to the subject of arcs below.)
Sasha's backstory isn't too large of a task, so she won't take much writing.
Aria's backstory isn't really relevant to the plot at all, and is basically just a bonus.

And Argus's backstory is the backbone of the story, in that one of the major themes the story has is him reliving his life, from a different perspective. It's for that reason that--while I have a good idea of what his backstory is--I can never actually show it to you, because it's of the "major spoilers" rather than minor spoilers kind.

The main reason for doing this is basically so I can get their personalities down: how they react to the plot I throw at them has a lot to do with what they've experienced in the past. I've more or less got a good idea of what I'm going to do for each character, and the details have mostly been worked out.

This category I suppose also covers updating the Characters page (and the backstories page), which I'm doing steadily. (I'm also working on making a first-person version of Kinas's backstory, and might do something similar for some of the others.)

It's actually not too important, since the really important stuff is covered by the third thing.

-Setting details.
This is the backbone of Soano. It's not essential to the plot, but it's essential for me, personally, to get done, because...well...Soano is a world I mean for others to explore, not just myself. That means I need to get it down solidly enough that others can use what I've written and run with it themselves.

This actually takes form in two ways.

*The world of Soano. The actual world. This is the worldbuilding part of things. What the geography is like, and all that. I've started a thread for it, I'm doing research about it, and I've actually made a lot of progress on it with my notes. It's essential for giving a realistic feel to the setting...but actually, it's not really too important. Yes, it needs to be done, but it doesn't need to be done in order for me to make the comic. Hence why it's a lower priority.

This also covers my extra pages--worldbuilding has to deal with the about, inspiration, and even fan stuff pages. And as much as those pages need my help...they're not as important as the actual comic itself.

*The rules Soano works by. This is what I have been working on, because this is what I actually need. It's the spells, the techniques, the skills, the abilities, the elements, the alignments, which come up. It's what I need in order to run an RPG, to have others use my world's rules to run a game of their own, my eventual dream. The world is a bonus. The rules are essential.

This isn't just some casual thing, either. It's what I really. do. need. to get done in order to finish the plot, because these are what GOVERN Soano. They come up in the plot. I can BS my way through SOME of these things if I really need to, but I can't BS a whole RPG with consistency. The world itself runs on RPG mechanics. The plot involves the world, and so, the plot has the RPG mechanics in it. Fighting uses the mechanics, which is why I need to finish them.

It's been what I've been working on. The elemental mage trees, the mage spells, the elemental warrior trees...all of those are the rules of Soano, and that's where my main focus is, right now, and has been. For the most part, anyway, as there's one last part......

-The script.
Like with setting, it's divided into two halves.

*The general plot, summarizing what goes on. I've actually begun writing it, and for the first time, have begun separating things into arcs.
The first arc is "And So Our Story Begins..." (Shoutout to Fable II) and starts as the comic has. With the canonical material already present, we're maybe...oh, somewhere between a sixth and a fourth of the way through the arc.

I can't say what the future arcs are, but I've also written the next arc. After that, there's a slight gap which I'll need to fill in, but I've gotten dozens of ideas on how to figure out what comes after the second arc.

I've got a few future arcs after that, of course, and the further into the story we go, the more each arc begins to tie together, as the plot begins to become clear to you all.

It's again not quite coherent, yet, as there are too many gaps right now. I may never fill them all, but I'll manage somehow.

*The specific comics. A comic-by-comic script goes into the details. Whereas the general plot is summarizing the action of an arc, the comic-by-comic script is, well, the script I use to actually write the comic. So far, I've only got two done (and only got one and a half in the "comic script" form), with a third semi-done, but since I've got the plot for this arc down, I can more or less continue writing scripts with a clear direction of where I want to go.

Overall, the script right now is my secondary focus--it's important, yeah, and when you boil things down, it's the most important to writing the comic, but I DO need some elements of the setting, and I DO need some elements of the characters' backstories first, since while I can do the general pretty well, when it comes to writing specific comics, I kinda need to know how each character reacts in what panels, and how each character will be fighting what enemy, and also how said enemy will try to counter. And I need to know where the characters are.

So while it needs to be done, it's not what I'm currently set on finishing.

But hey, at least I've got an idea of where I'm going! :D
"*sniff*", 7th Jul 2012, 7:42 PM #40
ranger_brianna_new♀
_version
I'm watering up right now, 'cause when I woke up and started making breakfast, I started mentally working on a storyline for The Descended.

And I realized that--even though I didn't like it, even though I hated what it'd mean--that it had to be done, that it fit perfectly into the grand scheme of things, and was so suiting to the setting of The Descended that there was no way around it.

And I just finished typing it out. And you know what?

...I think it's going to be an early(ish) plotline. Meaning you're going to see it relatively soon.

Not for a little while. But in the grand scheme of plots, yes, it's early-on.
It's not the current arc of "And So Our Story Begins".
It's not the following arc, either.
Nor is it the arc after that. (I need to write this one.)
Nor the arc after that. (I also need to write this one.)
...But it's the next arc, and dang it, I'm almost crying. It's appropriately titled, "Old Wounds Never Heal". When I declare that arc to have begun...get tissues ready, since if I do my job correctly, you'll be feeling what I feel right now.

EDIT: I also thought of a quote for Kinas. All character quotes so far have been meaningful. Sanik's reflects his nature as a cheerful protagonist, the standard hero adventurer. Sarge's is extremely meaningful to him. Tyra's represents how she keeps the group sane, avoiding serious harm with her guidance. M's represents how M is the group's tactician, extremely skilled but incredibly pragmatic. Argus's is his catchphrase. (Davos's, Aria's, and Sasha's probably won't be used often and might need changing, but they're all meaningful, hence why they're staying for now.)

So I wanted to continue the trend, and I thought of the perfect one for Kinas:
"I am a mere shadow of what I used to be."
It reflects his alignment, his view of the world, his element, everything about him is summed up by that single sentence, so it's perfect.
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]