My attempt to write a summary of the answers and to visualize where my stories stand (so I'll mark the things I have/do with "check" )
- the comic must be on CF for a long time (check: GWI is 7 years old, CO is almost 1)
- every page must have an author's note (check)
- the author must reply to all comments so people would see they care (check)
- the author must be active on the forum (well, okay, I rarely write there)
- the author must be friends with other authors or they won't comment (okay, but what about readers who are not authors?)
Why people don't comment:
- have nothing to say
- are shy
- are passive
- the comic is not funny (check)
And I still have no idea what to do next.
Will keep thinking.
Please, comment on your favourite stories. Authors are often very lonely people, so lonely that comments as simple as "omg" or "love the story" are already a huge help.
Yes, I saw their ad on TWC. I even added my RSS feed, just in case they change their mind one day (they accept only gag-a-day comics currently). They are still very new and don't look much. All RSS feeds on their site have zero subscriptions.
Nice idea, though. I hope they'll make it work.
For example, forbid comic pages from showing in it and only show page titles/numbers and descriptions? So, you know, people would actually visit the site instead of only reading the feed. (Because I'm lonely and would love to see a comment or two once in a while).
I've just discovered MyHeritage photo animation feature. I know it's for photos but the effect it has on hand-drawn characters is too hilarious not to try, so I uploaded some of my characters' portraits and here are the results: