Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Character Battle?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Forum games > Character Battle?
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

"Character Battle?", 3rd Oct 2012, 2:09 AM #1
ranger_brianna_new
_version
Registration date: 20th Dec 2009
Idea blatantly stolen from JRChace. :P
He brought up the idea of a ComicFury character battle game. I know we've had similar things (though it was more focused on AUTHORs battling), but they got a little bit nasty, so I was wondering if people would be interested in a friendly tournament between characters of their choosing, combating with each other.
Emphasis heavily on "friendly", mind you--the in-character fights can still get nasty (and probably would and will), because the character in the fight can frequently get passionate about it, but the author in control of both fighters should be having fun the whole time.

To help enforce this mentality, I was thinking that the fight wouldn't be scored on effectiveness of the moves, but rather, the creativity and originality of the moves, and that the fight goes on until both parties agree the fight has ended.
(In other words, cheap shots and cheap tricks such as rising back from the dead, blowing up your opponent to smithereens, groin attacks, simple stabs and/or slashes done uncreatively, trapping them in an illusionary dimension, and other similar tactics would be discouraged, in favor of more imaginative moves.)

For obvious reasons, it'd probably be divided into different categories. (Character Tiers, so to speak.) Having a virtual god facing off against a character who's completely human rarely works out well for the human, for instance. :P This'd allow for more normal characters to fight as well, when in the original they were at a heavy disadvantage and so, did not make a frequent appearance.

Would there be interest? Do you have suggestions to improve upon the idea? Think it can work?

Edit: Clearly, there is.

Have a list of some basic rules.

Have a list of people.

EDIT 2: For further signups (or a revision on a signup you made already), please use the thread I made for that purpose. This thread should be for solidifying the rules we're going to be using.
3rd Oct 2012, 2:10 AM #2
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
Registration date: 26th Sep 2010
yes
3rd Oct 2012, 2:19 AM #3
danielthecreator

Registration date: 26th Mar 2012
yes.i enter my character!
3rd Oct 2012, 2:31 AM #4
Centcomm
Powerhouse
Registration date: 5th May 2012
*blinks* hmmmm... can they bring powered armor? Or hand to hand only?
( is tempted to grab dice and the spacemaster set or Champions RPG book. rule book... you know what this needs is a unbaised referee.. someone to modderate the fights? ) but has nothing to win or lose... offers to ref ( have 20+ years as a role playing games referee )
3rd Oct 2012, 2:32 AM #5
moizmad

Registration date: 25th Apr 2010
What's the point, Madame Fifi would put a spell on everyone, it'd be no contesto!

3rd Oct 2012, 2:33 AM #6
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
Expanding on this

I'd imagine you'd have to have a ruleset similar to the CFGBA, if you recall what those are. Should have a tournament :U
3rd Oct 2012, 2:35 AM #7
Centcomm
Powerhouse
moizmad:What's the point, Madame Fifi would put a spell on everyone, it'd be no contesto!

Only if the person isnt charm or magic resistant ... *winks*

3rd Oct 2012, 2:45 AM #8
ranger_brianna_new
_version
Registration date: 20th Dec 2009
Centcomm:*blinks* hmmmm... can they bring powered armor? Or hand to hand only?
I imagine they can bring whatever they want.

you know what this needs is a unbaised referee.. someone to modderate the fights? ) but has nothing to win or lose... offers to ref ( have 20+ years as a role playing games referee )
Yeah, I don't trust myself to be an unbiased ref, so it would need one.
MatthewJA:I'd imagine you'd have to have a ruleset similar to the CFGBA, if you recall what those are. Should have a tournament :U
Similar, yes, but not identical, as said in the opening post--more friendly atmosphere.

Overall, if I'm going to be heavily involved in this, then I'm going to need some serious help pulling this off. I'll probably see if I can get some prototype rules up soon.

I guess I'll also handle signups, and will begin accepting them. (Specify which character, please.)
3rd Oct 2012, 2:48 AM #9
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
I WILL SIGNUP, RANGER

Madame French. Hehehe.
3rd Oct 2012, 2:50 AM #10
Centcomm
Powerhouse
ranger_brian_new:
Centcomm:*blinks* hmmmm... can they bring powered armor? Or hand to hand only?
I imagine they can bring whatever they want.

you know what this needs is a unbaised referee.. someone to modderate the fights? ) but has nothing to win or lose... offers to ref ( have 20+ years as a role playing games referee )
Yeah, I don't trust myself to be an unbiased ref, so it would need one.
MatthewJA:I'd imagine you'd have to have a ruleset similar to the CFGBA, if you recall what those are. Should have a tournament :U
Similar, yes, but not identical, as said in the opening post--more friendly atmosphere.

Overall, if I'm going to be heavily involved in this, then I'm going to need some serious help pulling this off. I'll probably see if I can get some prototype rules up soon.

I guess I'll also handle signups, and will begin accepting them. (Specify which character, please.)

Id be happy to help ref and to 'check' for legitimate powers abilitys - ie no yanking a nuke out of nowhere - or if the chatcter is a primitive he shouldnt be able to use a computer.. *nods*

I can also come up with a "simple" stat sheet to help determine the fighters abilitys these would be turned in via blind PM to the ref so others dont know...( actually 2 pms to 2 people to verify )

3rd Oct 2012, 4:52 AM #11
Torbik

Registration date: 5th Aug 2012
Sounds like a fun idea, but I don't have a comic to borrow characters from yet.

So I guess I'll be cheering you guys on! Woo! *waves 'go team' sign*

When all else fails, hit it with a shovel!
3rd Oct 2012, 4:53 AM #12
JRChace

Registration date: 2nd Jul 2012
Ha! I was thinking more in line of a ComicFury "Super Smash Bros" video game (which should also totally happen someday), but this is much easier/fun to do! I'd say your idea of my idea is the most... ideal!

I'd be interested in trying something like this, though I'm not sure how the rules would work. I choose you, Goredamn!
3rd Oct 2012, 4:58 AM #13
Rollo

Registration date: 21st Jun 2011
Ah yes, the beast rises again. Sign me up for fun and frivolity.
3rd Oct 2012, 5:33 AM #14
mushroomisland

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2010
SOUNDS FUN :D

Jane, I pick you! (probably better than ignorant/clueless/awkward Lan at this point)

Back with vengeance :P
3rd Oct 2012, 5:34 AM #15
Rinkel
cat face
Registration date: 24th May 2012
Ooh, what the heck. :D

I nominate Diosa from 'The Mirror of Souls'!! Because he's manly and is a Celt warrior and has a big sword, so there. :9

I was going to enter Victor (from the same comic) but the most he could do is shriek into a microphone and swing his guitar around like a monkey. Diosa seemed better suited to the game battle.
3rd Oct 2012, 5:35 AM #16
mushroomisland

Centcomm:
Id be happy to help ref and to 'check' for legitimate powers abilitys - ie no yanking a nuke out of nowhere -

I tell you, I bet Jane can. :D :D :D

..but then Dolly can pretty much destroy anything.

edit: but how exactly does this work....?

3rd Oct 2012, 5:38 AM #17
Rinkel
cat face
Registration date: 24th May 2012
mushroomisland:
Centcomm:
Id be happy to help ref and to 'check' for legitimate powers abilitys - ie no yanking a nuke out of nowhere -

I tell you, I bet Jane can. :D :D :D

..but then Dolly can pretty much destroy anything.

I suddenly question my entering a historical character into your NUKES AND CYBERWEAPON battle... -_- Perhaps Diana would've been a better fit...

No, Diosa will fight the nukes because he is protected by the god Cernunnos!! (total BS but whatever...)
3rd Oct 2012, 5:45 AM #18
mushroomisland

well this is some stuff Jane can do:

take out a weapon out of nowhere (mostly limbs)
includes guns (a small one and a long/big one), a long chain that the author never specified its length to (as with anything with her laziness for any detailing), couple of blades, a short-range power weapon that kinda looks like electricity and destroys stuff when in contact but again the idiot author never thought about what this thing might really be.

faster/stronger that normal humans

Apparently feels less pain in the "non-bio" areas like limbs

can always be fixed. No matter the damage. Unless really bombed into smithereens.

.......Probably kill Lan at this point in the plot... o__o

edit: or maybe I should go with Lan. Jane's never been in a real "battle" yet in the comic itself... :P

3rd Oct 2012, 5:48 AM #19
Centcomm
Powerhouse
Okay - IF ranger lets me ref - then ill come up with a "simple" charcter sheet - stats ranging from 0 to 100
and a 'abilitys' area - now if the charcter can ONLY use powers or abilitys they have used in the comic - ( so no growing powers out of your butt XD )

then once thats done - you guys pick your partners - once the battle is joined example "jane attacks Dolly with auto-gun"

Dolly Dodges - I use the stats to make a roll and compaier it to a chart - if jane hits she does damage say 30 B crit --
meaning she gets popped for half her life or something.. the reason we are restricting it to whats been shown in the comic is to make it more fair and to prevent a "he shot me" " I dodge" " oh yeah ? "im invulrable!" blah blah.. if a charcter is TOO powerful they get disqualifyed IE no picking 100 in all stats *shakes finger" pluses or minus's will be applyed for creative txt..

this is actually if they want my help...
3rd Oct 2012, 5:49 AM #20
mushroomisland

Centcomm:Okay - IF ranger lets me ref - then ill come up with a "simple" charcter sheet - stats ranging from 0 to 100
and a 'abilitys' area - now if the charcter can ONLY use powers or abilitys they have used in the comic - ( so no growing powers out of your butt XD )

then once thats done - you guys pick your partners - once the battle is joined example "jane attacks Dolly with auto-gun"

Dolly Dodges - I use the stats to make a roll and compaier it to a chart - if jane hits she does damage say 30 B crit --
meaning she gets popped for half her life or something.. the reason we are restricting it to whats been shown in the comic is to make it more fair and to prevent a "he shot me" " I dodge" " oh yeah ? "im invulrable!" blah blah.. if a charcter is TOO powerful they get disqualifyed IE no picking 100 in all stats *shakes finger" pluses or minus's will be applyed for creative txt..

this is actually if they want my help...

man. you really got this down. it might actually work!

Forum > Forum games > Character Battle?
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]