Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Character Battle: Signups.

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Forum games > Character Battle: Signups.
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [22]

"Character Battle: Signups.", 4th Oct 2012, 4:39 AM #1
ranger_brianna_new
_version
Registration date: 20th Dec 2009
In this thread, I asked if there was interest in character's battling. (Sort-of a combination of Super Smash Bros and the ComicFury Gentleman's Brawling Association--CF characters battling against each other.) The thread is still being used to discuss the exact rules of the game, but I'm moving signups to this thread to help make that thread more focused.

Basic Rules:

What do you need to sign up?
Just say your character's name! They can be any character. It doesn't matter if they have no special powers at all or are godlike in abilities; we'll make it work. And as you can tell by the below list, your character CAN be yourself! (Note that it's also nice to specify which comic your character's from, if you have more than one active comic you're involved in.)
Another thing appreciated--you'll eventually need to give us an idea of how strong your character is. Fights should be as equal as possible, so having a god-like character unrestrictedly fighting a normal human is something we want to avoid.

Signups:

Unfortunately, we may be full, depending on three interested parties' responses. However, if any of them don't follow through, then you may have their spot, so if you'd still like to sign up, do so. Plus, even if none of the 24 slots are open, we'll be having a team-battle tournament you can be a part of the tournament as soon as that tournament fills, so sign up anyway!

EDIT: We currently have ONE SPOT open, so please, sign up!

A MUCH LATER EDIT: Round two is about to begin. Signups are technically closed, but if we have any dropouts (or new signups come in twos), then your character can get in.

Round two is as such:

Timothy Kennings (Rollo) vs Rivet (CynicaIdealist)
Nicholas Parker (ThatPaintLover) vs Huey (Sabrini Fur) Comicfox (comicfox) Huey (Sabrini Fur)
LightStar (Centcomm) vs Sadha (Barreytor)
Diosa (Rinkel) Jello (AprilNightLash) vs Samantha Smith (zachdewd)
Scooter (SirUmbreon) vs Nama (Nama)
Hunter (Deo) vs Neeann (I-ninja)
Dietrich (Ten Penny Officer) vs Trad (xianyu118)
Jeremy Swanson (Nicholas Ivan Ladendorf) vs Hedge (hedgehogboy5)

Seeking replacement combatant for Rinkel.
4th Oct 2012, 4:43 AM #2
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
Registration date: 26th Sep 2010
are you limiting the signups, because you probably should if you want it to be a tournament style thing

this is signup relevant so I am putting it here, also what information do you need on characters
4th Oct 2012, 4:57 AM #3
ranger_brianna_new
_version
MatthewJA:are you limiting the signups, because you probably should if you want it to be a tournament style thing

this is signup relevant so I am putting it here, also what information do you need on characters
Well, I was ORIGINALLY thinking 5-6 tournaments. (Was thinking 5, but LooeyQ brought up the possibility of a team tournament, which I think would be a neat idea.)

However, If so, then it'd probably be 8/tournament, with the exception of the potential-team-tournament, which'd be double. (Also, thinking for that very reason that people can enter both into the normal tournaments and the team tournament.)

That'd be a potential total of 56. (If one of the tournaments is a team tournament, that produces a minimum of 40.)

It sounds like a lot, and it is, but we're already at 18.
If need be, it can be cut down to be 3-4 tournaments, which'd be up to 40 participants. (But if one of the tournaments is a team tournament, then it could be as low as 24.)

...Actually, thinking about that, I'm probably aiming for (with no duplicates and no teams) a maximum of 32. (Whether we have a team battle tournament is something to discuss in the other thread.) It might be too much to handle otherwise, and if people get left out, well, once we've done one series of tournaments we can always do another. :P

As for what information is needed on the characters...that's also something which requires discussing. I guess a general guideline is to give things you think are relevant to a fight. What abilities/training they have, things they possess, "weapons" they can use (I put weapons in quotations because, for instance, people have put in character sheets a weapon of "witty banter"), basically, what you think they're capable of. It wouldn't be perfect, but it'd help group characters who will be the most fun to have fights against each other (and most likely, each others' near-equal).

If that makes sense.
4th Oct 2012, 5:06 AM #4
Rinkel
cat face
Registration date: 24th May 2012
Would the character battle data be posted here or somewhere else?

EDIT:Also, can I we enter more than one character or should I we reign in my our egos and allow for other people to join?
4th Oct 2012, 5:17 AM #5
ranger_brianna_new
_version
RINKEL:Would the character battle data be posted here or somewhere else?

EDIT:Also, can I we enter more than one character or should I we reign in my our egos and allow for other people to join?
Another thing to discuss.
For the moment, I'm taking the policy,
"Anything you don't mind being public, post. Anything you want to keep secret until you use it in the tournament, PM."

And also for the moment (needs to be discussed), I think my policy for multiple characters is that I'll allow it, but only in the team tournament (if included).
4th Oct 2012, 5:20 AM #6
Rollo

Registration date: 21st Jun 2011
Signups:
Current Event Organizer: Me, Ranger. (May god help us all. :P)
Centcomm: Potential judge.

Danielthecreator: Entered. Character not specified.
MatthewJA: Madame French.
Torbik: Himself.
JRChace: Goredamn.
Rollo: Timothy Kennings from "This is Douglas"
Mushroomisland: Jane.
Rinkel: Diosa, from TMoS.
DaMoreFishy: Algae.
Hythlodeus: Zwerg.
FPB: Thalia.
Onecanofsprite: Dr. Waylon Lauckner.
Biophysicist: Sonja (Of The Moon).
Sabrini Fur: Herself.
Gearfish: Snarlbear?
Sivrus: The Dreamer.
LooeyQ: Mad Dog/Spot combo.
Deo: Entered. Character not specified.
Lute: Kim the telekinetic battle maiden.
4th Oct 2012, 5:21 AM #7
ranger_brianna_new
_version
You don't have to quote the whole list; this isn't mafia. :P
4th Oct 2012, 5:22 AM #8
Rinkel
cat face
ranger_brian_new:Another thing to discuss.
For the moment, I'm taking the policy,
"Anything you don't mind being public, post. Anything you want to keep secret until you use it in the tournament, PM."

And also for the moment (needs to be discussed), I think my policy for multiple characters is that I'll allow it, but only in the team tournament (if included).

Okies, coolio. Cuz I just keep thinking of Diosa having an attack where he summons another character to cause a distraction or something (since just about every other character in TMoS is kind artsy-fartsy because I've got dancers, musicians, singers, etc...) or calls Eawin to sing a Song of Healing that heals a tiny bit of his health. I wasn't sure if that would've fallen under being just an attack type or having separate "playable characters".
4th Oct 2012, 5:25 AM #9
ranger_brianna_new
_version
RINKEL:Cuz I just keep thinking of Diosa having an attack where he summons another character to cause a distraction or something (since just about every other character in TMoS is kind artsy-fartsy because I've got dancers, musicians, singers, etc...) or calls Eawin to sing a Song of Healing that heals a tiny bit of his health. I wasn't sure if that would've fallen under being just an attack type or having separate "playable characters".
So long as they didn't stay to actively assist you, then it'd probably be ruled as just a single attack, because you're not bringing in a second person to beat; said second person could just as easily be a weapon or a devise, after all.
4th Oct 2012, 5:31 AM #10
Rinkel
cat face
ranger_brian_new:So long as they didn't stay to actively assist you, then it'd probably be ruled as just a single attack, because you're not bringing in a second person to beat; said second person could just as easily be a weapon or a devise, after all.

Yeah, I was thinking they'd just hop on screen, do their thing to aid my character, then vanish again (like throwing Pokeballs in Smash Bros.) and not really do much else as far as battle goes.

4th Oct 2012, 9:09 PM #11
Lute

Registration date: 3rd Oct 2012
Not sure if you are still accepting people but I would like to join.
Character: K.I.M
4th Oct 2012, 9:14 PM #12
Xenocartographer
formerly Biophysicist
Registration date: 13th Oct 2010
Oh Ranger, just to clarify, it's alright if Sonja has @hena, right? I mean arguably @hena is a separate character, being an AI and all. But it'll only act as a weapon/"casting" mechanism here, and it only acts when commanded.
4th Oct 2012, 10:14 PM #13
mushroomisland

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2010
When does this start? I have a fairly dull weekend ahead of me. I'll have time to throw into forum games :D

Back with vengeance :P
5th Oct 2012, 2:01 AM #14
ranger_brianna_new
_version
Lute:Not sure if you are still accepting people but I would like to join.
Character: K.I.M
You're already on the list, with that character.
Biophysicist:Oh Ranger, just to clarify, it's alright if Sonja has @hena, right? I mean arguably @hena is a separate character, being an AI and all. But it'll only act as a weapon/"casting" mechanism here, and it only acts when commanded.
How many times must I say that, yes, it's alright? :P As you said, @hena acts as a weapon--it doesn't act as an extra character which you need to take down to win. So, yes, it's alright.

mushroomisland:When does this start? I have a fairly dull weekend ahead of me. I'll have time to throw into forum games :D
When the rules have been solidified (they look like they're close to being finalized--I'd still like some feedback, especially from people like Centcomm [the ref!] and Matt [the authoritative figure for this type of game!] though), and when we've reached a number divisible by eight in people signed up. It's looking more and more like we'll have 24, with no team tournament.

However, since I want to have said team tournament any "late" signups will be added to a team tournament which'll start when we have those extra 16 entries.
5th Oct 2012, 12:45 PM #15
FPB
Ambitious
Registration date: 4th Oct 2010
Ding dong, here comes Thalia!

Species: Anthropomorphic deity
Height: 1m55

Toughness: Super-human. Think of how much damage Saturday morning cartoon characters take before they go down.
Strength: Human, or so close.
Dexterity: Human, sometimes weaker-than-human if she thinks being butter-fingered would be hilarious.
Speed: Higher than average if it comes to dodging an obvious threat. She'll take a couple of seconds running in place before she darts away. That kind of thing. Not good at running for very long, but beware of Droopy Dog-style teleportation.

Weaponry: Awful jokes, painful puns, wacky cartoon implements. It's like she eats a bowl of Looney Tunes cartoons, Tex Avery shorts, and, inexplicably, Memebase, every breakfast.
Abilities: Hammerspace, toon physics, that kind of thing. Generally obeys the law of funny rather than the laws of physics.

Partner in case of team tournament: Melpomene, muse of tragedy.

Extra questions will be answered. Do I need anything else?

((Zeus & Sons (mythology/comedy) is currently on hiatus.))
Tails the douche (gaming/gag-a-day)
5th Oct 2012, 1:54 PM #16
Sabrini Fur
MAGICAL
Registration date: 16th Feb 2012
Hey, Ranger? I'd like to change my fighter to this guy:

Name: Huey
Height: 3 meters from top of brain-case to toes
Weight: 320kg without chair, 380kg with chair
Toughness: Super-Human. Thick skin, lots of fat. Hard to take down.
Strength: Skilled Human. Whether it's his body or his robots, there's a lot of power.
Dexterity: Human. He himself is terrible, but his hoverchair can dip and dive.
Speed: Weaker-than-Human. It's hard to move that bulk around. Even for hoverchairs.

Weaponry: His hoverchair, as well as his robotic minions. Other than being robotic, and having flight capabilities, the minions have no other weaponry. He also has control of cyberkinetic energies, which includes lightning, robots, and other tech being able to be controlled and/or channelled by him.

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO
5th Oct 2012, 2:40 PM #17
danielthecreator

Registration date: 26th Mar 2012
The character I'll enter is Erzsebet!

Species: shedim
Height: 5'4"

Toughness: superhuman, can be cut and slashed up, but regenerates quick as long as she has neffesh (like mana)
Strength:superhuman, like a bear I'd say, able to tear up humans with her fingernails and teeth
Dexterity: superhuman, hear an arrow being shot and catch the arrow in a split second with her back turned
Speed:superhuman, I'd say like the vampires in buffy

Weapons: has a magic holly stick that she can warp in to different shapes, for example sword, shield, spear, and also does various demonic magics like light fires, summon lightning. She also likes ripping and tearing people up with her teetch and fingernails which are pretty strong and sharp

WEAKNESS: Iron. Iron burns demons, touching it causes burns, and it is capable of blocking demon magic attacks. ALSO Erzsebet can only do magic depending how much neffesh(magic energy) she has, and she's like a baby vemomous snake, she always uses way more neffesh then she needs to and goes overboard with her spells, for example creating a 5 story tall sword to chop down a forest to find a hidden archer, when she could have just gone in the forest and stabbed the guy. So she runs out pretty quick.
5th Oct 2012, 3:21 PM #18
Centcomm
Powerhouse
Registration date: 5th May 2012
This is the best way to present the info on your fighter -

by FPB

Species: Anthropomorphic deity
Height: 1m55

Toughness: Super-human. Think of how much damage Saturday morning cartoon characters take before they go down.
Strength: Human, or so close.
Dexterity: Human, sometimes weaker-than-human if she thinks being butter-fingered would be hilarious.
Speed: Higher than average if it comes to dodging an obvious threat. She'll take a couple of seconds running in place before she darts away. That kind of thing. Not good at running for very long, but beware of Droopy Dog-style teleportation.

Weaponry: Awful jokes, painful puns, wacky cartoon implements. It's like she eats a bowl of Looney Tunes cartoons, Tex Avery shorts, and, inexplicably, Memebase, every breakfast.
Abilities: Hammerspace, toon physics, that kind of thing. Generally obeys the law of funny rather than the laws of physics.

heres the guide again :

5th Oct 2012, 3:43 PM #19
LooeyQ

Registration date: 22nd Feb 2011
Mad Dog & Spot

Species: Cartoon Dogs
Height:
MD: 4ft
Spot: 3ft 5 inches

*Toughness: Suepr Human, Looney Tune style

*Strength: Mostly weak in terms of physical strength. Dumb Luck is in there favor though.

*Nimbleness and Dexterity: Very fast!

They have the ability to break the fourth wall and use comic book story telling elements in their favor if need be, like in the comic above. Mad Dog and Spot work well together but if you can get rid of one of them, they other one is surely doomed.
There weakness is being separated from each other!
5th Oct 2012, 4:01 PM #20
Deo

Registration date: 30th Sep 2011
ok, my character, hunter.

Name: Hunter
Species: human
Height: 1m 86cm

Toughness: Super-human because of its armor. think about a telepathic spartan or an ODST...

Strength: Human, but the armor augments it's strength.

Dexterity: Human. sometimes more than human.

Speed: Higher than average.

Weaponry: twin nigh unbreakable swords swords, two arm cannons(miniature railguns), powered armor(including the basics to keep it online and to resist most electronic attacks, made of the same metal of the swords but in lesser concentration), telepathic powers(feels how close the enemy is, can make decoys, etc.)

(to keep it fair my character can't probe enemy minds, or make grand scale illusions.)

Made a drawing of my character

Forum > Forum games > Character Battle: Signups.
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [22]