Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - How do you keep up enthusiasm for your work?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How do you keep up enthusiasm for your work?
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]

24th Oct 2012, 11:05 PM #41
Micah

Registration date: 1st Feb 2010
I started drawing my skeleton comic as an exploration of my subconscious, so for me, that's the place I have to go back to whenever I start to lose my way. Sometimes I find drawing the characters over and over again tedious, like for a particular scene or action sequence. When that happens, I try to focus on each individual drawing as a separate work of art, expressing its own story and message. I imagine that one drawing as the whole world for the time I spend drawing it, and I turn on music to help me along.

Of course this is just my personal experience. Hope it helps.
14th Jan 2013, 9:50 PM #42
Guybrush20X6

Registration date: 22nd Aug 2011
One way I found to get around all the things in you life distracting you from comic work... Do those things and get them out of the way. It's not rocket science but has to be said.
14th Jan 2013, 9:59 PM #43
Mara.Self

Registration date: 6th Jan 2013
Drawing things I find boring ( e.i. Buildings, and most backgrounds.. boring stuff.. ) are kind of my downfall as far as motivation goes, however...

I just knock that stuff out first that way I'm left with only the fun stuff.

What helps the most, if I'm dragging myself through a page at a really slow pace, is talking about the comic to my friends or other people.

When I tell them about a part they get excited to see, I'm more motivated to push through the stuff I don't like to get to the exciting parts so I can show them.

P.S. Music.

Lots of Techno/trance, metal, andddd Epic Trailer Music!
15th Jan 2013, 12:01 AM #44
HolyLancer

Registration date: 25th Apr 2010
Mara.Self:
What helps the most, if I'm dragging myself through a page at a really slow pace, is talking about the comic to my friends or other people.

When I tell them about a part they get excited to see, I'm more motivated to push through the stuff I don't like to get to the exciting parts so I can show them.

P.S. Music.

Lots of Techno/trance, metal, andddd Epic Trailer Music!

I could not agree more on both points.

I actually think it is quite important to surround yourself with friends and people who have the same interests in things like this. Well, not every one of your friends has to be a comic artist, but along with talking about your comic (or your artwork in general) with friends and family, having a few friends that also work on comics and similar stuff is a BIG plus as well.

A few friends of mine and I used to always hang out and just discuss our comics for hours on end. We even run a small, personal site on the side where we also post our comics, and always joked about how we had a sort of "friendly rivalry" among ourselves. If one person posted a cool page for their comic, it motivated the rest of us to make our own next page that much cooler.

15th Jan 2013, 12:06 AM #45
Trigonometry

Registration date: 7th Jan 2013
I agree with this. It definitely helps to have friends you can talk the comic out with. Music is very good for keeping you motivated.

I also find reading other artist's comics or admiring their artwork also helps.

Not your average everyday undead gnome high functioning psychopath.
15th Jan 2013, 12:46 AM #46
EdInFresno

Registration date: 24th Mar 2011
First, before I reply, Snarkington, let me say that what works for me may not work for others and, in fact, may be detrimental but what I do is to pace myself, allot myself a certain, set of hours in which to work and no more after that time, no matter how excited or enthusiastic I may be about whatever I'm working on. This has worked well for me over the years and helps to give my life balance because my life isn't crowded by my creation-time schedule.

I hope you find this helpful.
15th Jan 2013, 12:49 AM #47
EdInFresno

@ Holy Lancer

"Not every one of your friends has to be a comic artist."

No, but it helps. ;) LOL!
15th Jan 2013, 1:09 AM #48
HolyLancer

EdInFresno:@ Holy Lancer

"Not every one of your friends has to be a comic artist."

No, but it helps. ;) LOL!

It certainly does. I wanted to get across that you should surround yourself with as many people as possible who do the same types of things. But not everyone has a boat load of friends who do comics, unfortunately.

It has definitely been a help, and a huge motivational tool to have that advantage, though.
15th Jan 2013, 1:18 AM #49
EdInFresno

@ Holy Lancer

My first, best piece of advice re this: Get a job at a studio, either one of the comic studios or an animation studio. Then you'll never have to concern yourself ever again with whether or not all your friends and fellow empoloyees are artists or not. ;)
15th Jan 2013, 1:42 AM #50
HolyLancer

My first, best piece of advice re this: Get a job at a studio, either one of the comic studios or an animation studio. Then you'll never have to concern yourself ever again with whether or not all your friends and fellow empoloyees are artists or not. ;)

Much easier said than done, I would wager. :p
15th Jan 2013, 2:19 AM #51
EdInFresno

@ Holy Lancer

Since when is anything truly worthwhile ever easy? You did take the time and put in the effort to learn to draw well after all, didn't you? So, how is getting that kind of job any different? ;)

Hell! I had to bug Warners for two years before they'd give me a job. Fortunately, Jack Harmon was there the last time I went into the personnel department and he started me out as a ruffer. That's a good place to start, actually.
So, yeah, anything's possible when you put in the effort (and make enough of a pest of yourself with the right people.) LOL!

15th Jan 2013, 2:23 AM #52
mheanne27

Registration date: 22nd Oct 2012
Actually this is my problem right now.
My inner self keeps on bugging me "Hey! why are you so dedicated withall of your comics? You're wasting your time!"
The only answer I know is I love drawing.
It's like breathing to me.
Now I don't understand myself why I feel that I don't want to coninue ALL of my manga.
Maybe it is because of thinking about my sacrifices before just to make my mangas.

I already want to stop my big project Sudden Change II. Good thing that I have told to finished it before April, so that the prints will be distributed by that time.

My motivation is actually my main characters. The feeling of loving to draw them makes me continue.
15th Jan 2013, 2:25 AM #53
Mara.Self

Registration date: 6th Jan 2013
mheanne27:Actually this is my problem right now.
My inner self keeps on bugging me "Hey! why are you so dedicated withall of your comics? You're wasting your time!"
The only answer I know is I love drawing.
It's like breathing to me.
Now I don't understand myself why I feel that I don't want to coninue ALL of my manga.

I already want to stop my big project Sudden Change II. Good thing that I have told to finished it before April, so that the prints will be distributed by that time.

My motivation is actually my main characters. The feeling of loving to draw them makes me continue.

That's great.

I feel the same way when it comes to my characters, they've just been with me so long that it feels kind of bad just to abandon them.
15th Jan 2013, 2:31 AM #54
EdInFresno

@ mheanne27

I understand what you're saying. Osamu Tezuka started out his career life as a doctor, seeking to fulfill family duty and responsibility but he'd always loved to draw and did. Later on in his life he knew he was in the wrong career and started submitting his manga professionally. Before too long he was creating manga professionally for a studio. A while after that he had his own studio and produced wonderful works like Tetsuo Atom (Astro Boy).

Man, I'm sure glad he listened to the part of his heart that fed him, not the one that sucked his soul dry!

Then, there's this: A young man went to his grandfather with a problem. It seemed he had two parts of himself warring with each other like two fighting wolves. One insisted that he be a warrior like all the other young men. The other insisted that he be a sculptor and make statues.

"Which one of these warring wolves in me will grow stronger and win?", asked the young man of his grandfather.

His grandfather answered, "The one you feed the most."

15th Jan 2013, 3:55 AM #55
mheanne27

Registration date: 22nd Oct 2012
Well that's exactly I am.
A professional Technical worker while being a hobbyist mangaka.

Well, actually If illustration can't give me a stable profit I will choose my real work. I am happy even I am just being a hobbyist.

Oh, I am out of topic here. Please don't ban me.
15th Jan 2013, 4:05 AM #56
HolyLancer

Since when is anything truly worthwhile ever easy? You did take the time and put in the effort to learn to draw well after all, didn't you? So, how is getting that kind of job any different? ;)

Hmm. Very true. And a great way to look at it.

And like I said, I am fortunate enough to have friends who are deeply into the same things I am, and it helps to play off each other for tips, advice, and motivation.

Even sites like this can be a huge help to a degree, for feedback and discussion.
15th Jan 2013, 5:25 AM #57
Rollo

Registration date: 21st Jun 2011
Comics are not my profession. It doesn't matter if I do not make any money; nor does it matter if I fail. I don't consider myself to be either a very good artist, nor a particularly brilliant comic maker. In the light of this, my first and best audience is myself.

So how do I keep up the enthusiasm? It's not work for me. Also probably because I don't have the distractions of MMORPGs or other games which other people seem to have, those sorts of issues don't stand in my way either. There's not exactly a whole lot of things competing for my brain power.

The other thing I have in my favour is that I live some 40-odd km from where I work; this means a train and a bus. Consequently I get to daydream a lot with my eyes closed which is perfectly acceptable on public transport as people just think you're asleep. I can play with all sorts of ideas and no-one is any the wiser.
15th Jan 2013, 6:15 AM #58
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
I have a story to tell that must be told before I die. Simple as that. I don't wanna write it cuz I'm too lazy. I'd rather pseudo-draw it and write speech bubbles instead! Haha! Here's another reason, to leave behind a legacy. It's a way of leaving your mark on the world other than having kids, etc.
15th Jan 2013, 6:25 AM #59
rogan

Registration date: 14th Mar 2011
snarkington:What do you do, when faced with your inner Roger Ebert? Or perhaps it's a Simon Cowell, I dunno.

EDIT: It does cheer me up slightly to imagine that my head contains a tiny Simon Cowell who tells me that my comics sound like a bad karaoke version of themselves.

heh. I have my inner Stan Lee. I imagine him looking over my shoulder and saying "THAT'S CRAP! What planet did this guy get his nose from? ... Tighten up your word balloons!"

I usually follow his lead for a while, then step back, look at what I've drawn, and say "You know, Stan, I just can't draw like that, so pardon me while I make their eyes big and put some air in my balloons!"

Short version, is that I can't let my inner critics make me second guess where my "style" is going, and it only retards my growth when I do.

To quote Stan: "Nuff Said."

| | press f5: see an updated drawing here! If it's after 10 pm pacific,
V I've probably updated the image! PRESS F5!
image image
15th Jan 2013, 5:09 PM #60
EdInFresno

@ mheanne27

First of all, let me say you're very talented and your work is excellent. Professional-grade excellent.

So, I think you'll have little to no problem finding employment with a studio, somewhere. I recommend that because studios are great places to learn little tricks of the trade and to learn the best ways to sell your art to largest part of the Manga reading public. It's also a great way to get your name known and established with those readers who are reading a particular manga, already. It's also an excellent place to make great connections who can help you to advance your career. Personally, I think you will do very well.
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How do you keep up enthusiasm for your work?
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]