Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - About donations and freebies

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > About donations and freebies
Pages: [1]

"About donations and freebies", 7th Feb 2014, 4:25 PM #1
craybest

Registration date: 29th Aug 2012
Hey all, I've just added a paypal donations button on my site, for those interested in helping the comic, and I'm thinking about giving some freebies for donations over a certain amount.
Also I'm thinking that each time total donations go over a certain amount, I'll do an extra page per week. What do you think? I think that even though donations are done just to help, giving something in return might make it a bit more tempting, right? XD

I'm thinking that any donations over 10$ will get a sketch of a character they choose, over 20$ will get them a lineart of a character they choose, donations over 30-35$ will get a colored piece.
Also I think that 100$ in total donations is a good enough amount to have an extra page.

what do you think in general? About the "prices"?
I know that at the beginning I'll probably not get much (or probably nothing at all) but I think it's best to at least have the option if someone wants to add to it.

Any opinions?

Also, for those who have tried to have donations to their site, how has it worked?
9th Feb 2014, 7:31 PM #2
Kyo
no longer a family man
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
Moved to webcomic discussion.

9th Feb 2014, 7:56 PM #3
Zannthesword

Registration date: 10th Sep 2013
i have a button on my site too, i use it to get paid through my commissions and through donations. ive made about 80$ through commissions and 5$ from a random donation. so ide say its effective enough since i never gave any incentive like you have. but that being said i think people are only giving me work because im gonna die and not because they want to see me draw something :/

results may vary, you'll never know till you try though so i encourage you and please keep us informed of your results in doing so.

(keep in mind that using the paypal "donate" button is illegal for anything other than non profit type thingies and if you ever make 10,000 dollars in total you will be indicted so you should use the pay button and add multiple prices for donations because its not questioned.)
9th Feb 2014, 8:10 PM #4
Kyo
no longer a family man
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
It isn't really so much about what type of button you use, but whether or not paypal is collecting fees for the transaction.
12th Feb 2014, 12:48 AM #5
kenbastard

Registration date: 2nd Sep 2013
Zannthesword:i have a button on my site too, i use it to get paid through my commissions and through donations. ive made about 80$ through commissions and 5$ from a random donation. so ide say its effective enough since i never gave any incentive like you have. but that being said i think people are only giving me work because im gonna die and not because they want to see me draw something :/

results may vary, you'll never know till you try though so i encourage you and please keep us informed of your results in doing so.

(keep in mind that using the paypal "donate" button is illegal for anything other than non profit type thingies and if you ever make 10,000 dollars in total you will be indicted so you should use the pay button and add multiple prices for donations because its not questioned.)

WHOA! INDICTED is a very scary word!
12th Feb 2014, 1:44 PM #6
ilayas

Registration date: 27th Jun 2013
If you are trading art for money why not just open your self up for commissions?
12th Feb 2014, 2:26 PM #7
view

Registration date: 8th May 2011
ilayas:If you are trading art for money why not just open your self up for commissions?

While it may not seem like a difference to the author, to a fan there is a difference between commissions and donations that get you a bonus.

The system Craybest originally mentioned is a lot like a commission system, so perhaps commissions would be a good idea. However, if he wants to go the donation route, I would reframe it. Something like:

Any donation: Get to see the monthly extra
$10+: Get to see the sketches and process for this month's comics, maybe before the comic comes out
$20+: Get a quick sketch of a character of your choice
$30+: Appear in the comic as a background character

This way, the "commissiony" part is not the core bonus. You can reduce your workload by restricting yourself to things that the fans actually value, but that aren't a huge amount of work for you.
15th Feb 2014, 7:47 PM #8
azyzl

Registration date: 23rd Oct 2009
view:
Any donation: Get to see the monthly extra
$10+: Get to see the sketches and process for this month's comics, maybe before the comic comes out
$20+: Get a quick sketch of a character of your choice
$30+: Appear in the comic as a background character

This sounds like what Patreon is doing: setting up a system for subscription-based tiers that give people extra content. That doesn't mean that people can't just donate once, but it may be something to look into.