Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Is my comic too busy?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > Is my comic too busy?
Pages: [1]

"Is my comic too busy?", 12th Feb 2014, 12:43 AM #1
Zamisk

Registration date: 13th Nov 2011
Large screen-shot warning!

I chose a very limited color palette for my comic, and wanted to keep everything consistent. Changing the cheese from yellow to tan and removing the white grease highlights helped, but I still feel like the background might be headache-inducing.

Are your retinas bleeding, is my site awesome, or are both true? Thanks!
12th Feb 2014, 12:55 AM #2
Danger wasp

Registration date: 31st Jan 2014
in my opinion, it's just the background. maybe if you lower the opacity of the background on a dark solid color will it be easier for the viewer's eyes to look at the comic and not look at the background.
12th Feb 2014, 12:57 AM #3
LeRenardRoux
Sqaljjlmzonq
Registration date: 27th Jul 2013
Location: at the bottom of a stair whose top is invisible with light
It's pretty intense. I'd say since the wallpaper has the same bright reds as your comic, it pulls your eye away from the page too much. I'd recommend something like this:

It's less saturated and drops away, but keeps your theme. I was able to do this pretty fast with the Photoshop Hue/Saturation filter. You could probably push the hue more in the direction of your mustard yellow/tan color if you want it to match more. I think in this case, it's more important for the wallpaper to serve the purpose of supporting the page than fitting the color scheme.

I like your art style, btw. And now I want pizza. :P

EDIT: Isn't Papa Suresh a "Heroes" thing? I need to go look at this now.
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
12th Feb 2014, 12:59 AM #4
view

Registration date: 8th May 2011
It's definitely not too crowded, just too undifferentiated.

Desaturate the background. Your characters are high-saturation, so your background needs to be low-saturation. Both the page background and the site background.
12th Feb 2014, 1:06 AM #5
view

Registration date: 8th May 2011
Here, let me show you a very rough example.

I've taken the saturation down, and also changed the hue to draw the bricks and pepperoni off of true red. This allows the true red on the characters to stand out.

Another thing you may want to look into is being a lot more aggressive about making sure the characters have different line weight from background objects. Panel 4 is good, but panels 1, 2, and 3 have the same weight for characters and background objects.
12th Feb 2014, 2:15 AM #6
Zamisk

Registration date: 13th Nov 2011

Thanks for the input! I changed the background to a sepia thing like suggested, and also changed the box color. I don't want to change the colors of the comic, I want to keep the palatte down to just these colors and keep it simple. I drew this comic over a year ago, and these first pages were basically my first comic pages ever, but I did improve over time and I think the line weight improves. Thanks for all the tips, the site is a lot easier on the eyes now.

Edit: and yes, I needed an Indian-sounding name and was probably doing a Heroes rewatch at the time.
13th Feb 2014, 1:14 PM #7
danielthecreator

Registration date: 26th Mar 2012
yes it looks really really nice now with the brown background as opposed to how it looked before.
13th Feb 2014, 2:22 PM #8
Jarvi
formerly Saari
Registration date: 20th Sep 2013
I agree. I thought about darkening it, but the effect you've done is much better :)
13th Feb 2014, 2:22 PM #9
Jarvi
formerly Saari
Registration date: 20th Sep 2013
double post, again, why I'm making double posts all the time? :/