Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Webcomic format requirements

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Webcomic format requirements
Pages: [1]

"Webcomic format requirements", 12th Feb 2014, 10:46 PM #1
Hourthirteen

Registration date: 25th Jan 2014
I'm not sure I've got the right forum category, but here goes: I'm planning a weekly web comic (and who isn't?) using Manga Studio EX. I'm doing my strip in landscape (probably black and white) Sunday comic style. The site suggests a width of no more than 800 px. So what would be the best size to do my original artwork in? What's the best font size? My concern is that my text and word balloons won't be readable once I reduce the art to 800x600, or whatever.

Any help, suggestion examples? Any help much appreciated.
13th Feb 2014, 12:06 AM #2
Jarvi
formerly Saari
Registration date: 20th Sep 2013
Hi there!

Well the 800px max thing is because there might still be people out there using 800x600 resolution on their screens. If your comic is 1000px wide and their screen can show only 800px in horizontal position, then some of your strip will be cut off and they will have to slide to see the rest of it. So that's the problem. I don't think that there are still many people using 800x600 resolution, but the wider your strip is, the less people might have screens fit to your comic.
I just checked my comic at 800x600 resolution, and it's cut off a little bit (my strips are exactly 800px wide).. I guess something like 760px wide would be a good idea.. but can't really tell, need more research for that.

As for the font, I'm using Digital Strip with font size 2.5 for normal texts, and then after the work is done, I resize the whole thing to 50%. This is how it looks in the end -> Two Hearts

Also... I think to avoid all those problems, maybe you could make strips going down instead of to the right? Then you could make it as long as you like :)

13th Feb 2014, 12:06 AM #3
Jarvi
formerly Saari
Registration date: 20th Sep 2013
double post, please delete <3

13th Feb 2014, 12:17 AM #4
Kyo
no longer a family man
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
People with an 800 pixel resolution probably expect horizontal scrolling by now. up to 950 pixels should still cover most people, probably
13th Feb 2014, 12:33 AM #5
view

Registration date: 8th May 2011
If you're worried about text being visible, then your text font size is what you need to test out.

So just test it out. See what's legible. It varies based on the font.

If you're in MangaStudio, I recommend doing the actual art in 2x or 4x size, then scaling down. So put some various dialog on those pages, scale them down to the final size, and see what looks good.
13th Feb 2014, 12:36 AM #6
Hourthirteen

Thank you, Saari. In hindsight, the landscape format may not be the way to go,But I've pencil-roughed six strips in that style. I could always redo them, I guess, but I'm really going for a tabloid style. I dunno. I may change my mind. Anyway, I love the look of your strip. Thanks for the advice!
13th Feb 2014, 12:39 AM #7
Hourthirteen

Thanks, View. I think that is the way to go, too.
13th Feb 2014, 5:27 AM #8
RubberGardener

Registration date: 1st Feb 2014
Well the good thing about webcomics is that you really don't have any true "requirements". I say make the comic to match whatever your vision is for your comic. As long as that bad boy loads onto the website properly, you're good. You might have to make a few adjustments to make it more convenient for readers, but it shouldn't be a big deal

My DYSTOPICA KICKSTARTER is LIVE now until July 20th!
Dystopica KICKSTARTER
16th Feb 2014, 2:59 PM #9
Avai

Registration date: 14th Feb 2014
When you launch a comic hosted with ComicFury, is there no way to control the CSS so you can make the site responsive? Artists should not have to worry about changing the way they create pages. Site builders have the responsibility to make sure the content displays properly at all resolutions, independent of browser or device. My pages, for example, are over 1000 pixels wide and display wonderfully at 800x600 resolution because my site uses responsive design.

See more here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design

EDIT: Ok I just checked the HTML & CSS section of the forum, and you can absolutely make responsive sites here. So I recommend to not worry about the dimensions of your page. Just make pages the way you think they look best. People using modern desktops and tablets will have no problem reading your landscape-oriented strips, because all those devices have displays at least 1024 px wide (1280+ in most cases). The only people who would need to zoom and scroll are those using mobile phones, and they will need to scroll no matter which way you display your panels.

So as others mentioned, just make sure your text is large enough to read comfortably once it's at the final dimensions. If you're worried about your site displaying well at various resolutions, that's something we can help you with later in the other section of the forum. :)