Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - How fast do you go through your wacom nibs...?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How fast do you go through your wacom nibs...?
Pages: [1] [2]

"How fast do you go through your wacom nibs...?", 1st Mar 2014, 3:53 AM #1
Fractals
formerly Skullbie
Registration date: 15th Apr 2011
http://vegarblack.deviantart.com/art/Making-Wacom-nibs-343443919

Above is a tutorial for making your own, but I was curious how fast people go through these things? I've been using the same nib for two years and it looks the same as when I put it in.

How fast do you go through yours?
1st Mar 2014, 4:11 AM #2
CrystalCircle

Registration date: 12th Nov 2013
My tablet is two years old and I still have the original nib in. It's a little dull, but it still works perfectly fine. I guess it depends on your tablet's surface and the material the nib is made out of. Some tablet surfaces (the higher end ones) are really silky smooth while some have a slight texture to them. Rubbing the plastic on that can eat it up pretty quickly. My first tablet was like that and my nibs lasted about six months before I had to replace them.
1st Mar 2014, 4:20 AM #3
Teslaverian

Registration date: 17th Oct 2010
I completely wore down the nib on mine in two years… actually started eating into the side of the pen until I realized there was a replacement :P
Also the eraser is quite flat on one side…
1st Mar 2014, 5:41 AM #4
LauraEss

Registration date: 27th Feb 2011
You can replace them? I'm still using the one that came with my Bamboo, 2 years ago.
1st Mar 2014, 5:51 AM #5
Danger Schade

Registration date: 7th Jul 2011
I freaked out when I saw that mine was wearing down, so now I just throw a sheet of paper over the tablet. According to my very scientific measuring process of,"About how much do you reckon it has worn of?", this is working well.
1st Mar 2014, 6:38 AM #6
Alicia the Bard

Registration date: 5th Aug 2013
My tablet is about 5 years old, and I'm still using the original pen nib. It's worn down quite a bit, but not yet at the point of needing a replacement. Then again, I really only use my computer/pen for cleaning, lettering, and coloring. ^_^;
1st Mar 2014, 6:46 AM #7
Fubar
full of gay magic
Registration date: 21st Apr 2011
Back when I had my old Intuos3, I had it for about five years and I think I changed nibs twice during that time. I've had my Cintiq for a few years now, and I haven't noticed any wear on the nib.

The difference with these is that I switched the standard nib to a harder, grey nib with some sort of small spring inside it. IDK, it came with the thing and it felt better so I use it. The plastic the new nib's made out of seems a tad harder than the regular nibs, and I'd assume the softer plastic wearing out faster. I could be totally off.
1st Mar 2014, 6:49 AM #8
Fractals
formerly Skullbie
Registration date: 15th Apr 2011
EcM:
Also the eraser is quite flat on one side…

...I completely forgot it had an eraser. xP I recently remembered to map the side buttons for my frequently used functions. Also i guess precision mode has a use now. (freehand lasso)

LauraEss:You can replace them? I'm still using the one that came with my Bamboo, 2 years ago.

look inside the pen holder it came with.
1st Mar 2014, 6:52 AM #9
Kupocake

Registration date: 14th Mar 2012
I feel like an outlier here for being the only one who goes through nibs like a pencil!

It really depends on what kind of surface you're using. I taped a piece of paper over my tablet surface (Intuos4) for a while, and that wore down my nibs like crazy. If your tablet surface has a very glassy/slick surface, you're not gonna get much wear and tear on those nibs. I never changed my nib on my old Graphire4 pen, for example.

On topic of that tutorial, I actually wrote a review on my experience with the make-your-own-nib. You can read it here.
Updates Tuesdays!
1st Mar 2014, 7:42 AM #10
13blackhats

Registration date: 8th Jul 2013
Location: So Cal is where my mind states, but it's not my state of mind
Good god D: I'm so poor. I have a really gross low end tablet that I got only because it was cheap for its active area and super skinny (Vistablet). It's got a really nice paper texture though so it feels more like traditional, so I go through nibs like crazy. t's only been two years of severely infrequent drawing and I went though three nibs already. They turn razor sharp at that point and start to scratch the surface protector, so that's got loads of marks too. Should get a Wacom at some point. But they're so expensiiive.
1st Mar 2014, 7:48 AM #11
Zannthesword

Registration date: 10th Sep 2013
if im using it often 1 nib will last me about 8 months
1st Mar 2014, 6:28 PM #12
Pavchka
Affection Bus
Registration date: 6th Aug 2013
Ah, the lawnmower wire trick. I'm going to try that out too, since a set of 5 new nibs costs 10 Euros and aren't easy to come by.

I've been using the same Bamboo CTH-460 nib for two years now, but it began wearing out faster once I stuck a piece of paper to my tablet. I'm expecting a nib to last 9 months/a year like this.
1st Mar 2014, 8:58 PM #13
MooingMoe

Registration date: 21st Nov 2012
Wow. My nibs last a year and a half for me. I have replaced mine twice.
1st Mar 2014, 10:15 PM #14
dal segno

Registration date: 1st Mar 2014
I might need this trick. I've only had my tablet since December, but the nib's been grinded into a point. If I don't hold it juuuust right, it makes a loud scrit-scratchy sound and drags pretty hard.
1st Mar 2014, 11:37 PM #15
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
I didn't know they wore.
1st Mar 2014, 11:57 PM #16
anarcha

Registration date: 23rd May 2012
Like Tibbitz, I have no wearing nib issues. Now I wonder what I'm missing...

I've used 3 wacom versions since 2006 -- and have never changed a single nib. I wonder if it has something to do w/being relaxed when drawing--my favorite part of the day and such. 'No pressure'.
"i", 2nd Mar 2014, 1:39 AM #17
jenffer
Some of us are born lucky
Registration date: 10th Jan 2010
i have to 1th one you have realy do this with care or you land up with a pen that won't work
3rd Mar 2014, 4:14 AM #18
CB_Young

Registration date: 20th Nov 2012
I changed it about 3 times in the 11 years I had my first tablet, plus the one that I replaced because I pulled one out and lost it. I noticed that they wore down a lot faster when I put a piece of paper over my tablet.
3rd Mar 2014, 4:29 AM #19
devilyoudont

Registration date: 14th Jan 2013
I feel like my nibs last six months or less...
4th Mar 2014, 5:51 PM #20
Pavchka
Affection Bus
Registration date: 6th Aug 2013
Trying the trimmer wire trick, but it's really hard to get the bottom of the nib even. It keeps sticking to the sensor.