Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Would you buy this as a poster?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Would you buy this as a poster?
Pages: [1]

"Would you buy this as a poster?", 2nd Mar 2014, 11:18 PM #1
danielthecreator

Registration date: 26th Mar 2012
I'm thinking of trying to put out a few A3 posters of my characters to try to sell at a few upcoming cons alongside my books. This is the first poster I came up with. It would be printed A3, 3 layer with a risograph printer to give it a vintage gig poster kind of feel and the colours wont look quite as flat and dull as they do on computer. The hair will look my burgundy/brownish and the grey will look slightly brighter blue. Any critiques and advice? Would you buy this as a poster?

Here's a second poster I came up with-when printed the teal won't be so bright:
Also, does anyone have experience of selling posters of their work? What was successful and what wasn't?
3rd Mar 2014, 12:06 AM #2
the rouge humingbird

Registration date: 4th Dec 2013
They look grate to me. ho much would you sell them for?
3rd Mar 2014, 12:12 AM #3
danielthecreator

I sold my last ones for 5 pounds each but they weren't that good-I was thinking trying 10 pounds or maybe 8 pounds and sell it in a package with my comic for a tenner.

Do you think that's good prices? Too high or too low?

I just always think that at these cons for 15-20 pounds they can get posterprints of batman by Neil Adams for 20 quid I shouldn't cost stuff with my original characters close to that.
3rd Mar 2014, 12:27 AM #4
the rouge humingbird

Registration date: 4th Dec 2013
8 sounds like a good amount i think.
3rd Mar 2014, 12:42 AM #5
MediocreMind

Registration date: 22nd May 2012
danielthecreator:I just always think that at these cons for 15-20 pounds they can get posterprints of batman by Neil Adams for 20 quid I shouldn't cost stuff with my original characters close to that.

This is a terrible mindset to get yourself into, especially when you take into account the gap in effort/expenses between a Batman posterprint produced with support from one of the biggest names in the industry and an independent creator doing things one their own.

Charge what you think both covers the expense/effort of making the posters and bringing them to the convention for sale, while still keeping in mind what you hope to make off them. You'd be surprised, I have a wealthy friend (I'm talking old-money wealthy, the lucky bastard) who loves comics, but he's WAY more likely to buy a unique/original piece he's never seen before but thinks looks cool than yet ANOTHER mass-printed Batman poster.

People buy what they think is cool. Unless you're actively trying to draw the superhero comic demographic, don't worry about matching their price-points so much.
3rd Mar 2014, 12:59 AM #6
asocialconstruct

Registration date: 16th May 2013
Yeah, I'd check around what you see other indie comics pricing their prints at, rather than prints of bigger-name properties. I don't know how transferrable this would be to the UK, but at indie comic cons in the US, I usually see A3 size prints for webcomics around 10-15USD. Bundling with the comic also sounds like a good idea, I don't buy prints much but I'm usually more likely to buy a comic if it comes with a print.

Also, that top print is gorgeous and I bet it'll look great in risograph.
3rd Mar 2014, 7:30 PM #7
danielthecreator

Here it is risographed. Its about A3 size. Happy with how the burgundy printed light, looks orangish and works well with the blue

I know people who sell prints, but they hardly sell any and really over-value their stuff-Ill ask around, Im thinking a tenner is the most I could get away with+I'd have to package it nicely with board backing and plastic wrap or something.
3rd Mar 2014, 8:55 PM #8
TuxedoComics

Registration date: 10th Aug 2012
I would buy the hell out of that second poster! In all seriousness, I say go for it! They look good!

I don't have any experience selling posters, so I don't really know how many you should realistically order.
3rd Mar 2014, 9:03 PM #9
danielthecreator

TuxedoComics:I would buy the hell out of that second poster! In all seriousness, I say go for it! They look good!

I don't have any experience selling posters, so I don't really know how many you should realistically order.

We got the riso printer at my house so I can just make however many. I made 50 of the hurling girl, gonna make about 20 of the Starseal one. Got a few cons coming up, guess Ill just seee how it goes.