Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Comic-Prose style, A Mix of both worlds??

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Comic-Prose style, A Mix of both worlds??
Pages: [1]

"Comic-Prose style, A Mix of both worlds??", 3rd Mar 2014, 6:46 PM #1
AixenPixel

Registration date: 30th Jan 2014
Ok so I am interested in finding stories that mix prose and comic art together similar to this
http://www.queeniechan.com/comics/we_are_the_pickwicks/2.jpg

DO you know of any?

I favor this format alot!
3rd Mar 2014, 6:55 PM #2
malamute.pup
how about this one?
Registration date: 17th Sep 2011
wow, don't think i've ever seen this before. I'm also interested to find out more about this manner of composite storytelling.
3rd Mar 2014, 6:57 PM #3
Dr.Mantis Toboggan

Registration date: 20th Dec 2013
This has been done quite a bit. I know there was a whole issue of Batman around when Morrison was doing his Black Glove stuff that was done like this. It was fucking teeeeeerrible.
3rd Mar 2014, 7:39 PM #4
Fubar
full of gay magic
Registration date: 21st Apr 2011
It can be passable, if done well and in moderation (you still want to show, not just tell). Also, usually people use like a single illustration, and then some text, then a pic, then some text. This creates two problems:

1) You lose the sequential aspect, which is pretty much the thing that makes comics unique.

2) The reader has to switch between visual and verbal modes of thinking when reading it, which breaks the flow of the comic and hurts the reading experience.

Also, it's usually used by people just as an excuse to get away with drawing less:

3rd Mar 2014, 8:42 PM #5
AixenPixel

http://misadventuresofanya.thecomicseries.com/
Well I do that format
and was curious of others aside from me who do
3rd Mar 2014, 10:25 PM #6
view

Registration date: 8th May 2011
Probably the best use of this is with Thieves and Kings. Rather than clumsily put paragraphs between images, it will instead go either "full comic" or "full novel" for pages at a time.

If you've never read it, it's worth picking up. Since it's print-focused, the web site is really bad, and the sample shows pretty much the worst part of that particular book. If you see it in a comic shop or library, stop and read a bit.

www.iboxpublishing.com/index_thieves-and-kings.php#TKtop_of_page

(Strip navigator is on the left.)
4th Mar 2014, 7:56 AM #7
RubberGardener

Registration date: 1st Feb 2014
The first short in my comic is a version of that style DYSTOPICA

My DYSTOPICA KICKSTARTER is LIVE now until July 20th!
Dystopica KICKSTARTER
4th Mar 2014, 8:13 AM #8
Dr.Mantis Toboggan

Registration date: 20th Dec 2013
Fubar:

Is this real or another CAD photoshop, because on one hand of course Tim would look for any excuse he can to put less effort into his artwork, but on the other it's too ridiculous.

This is it, this is the point where I stopped being able to tell if it's a joke about CAD or CAD being a fucking joke.
5th Mar 2014, 6:37 PM #9
jennydevildoll

Registration date: 16th Jan 2012
While online I just put up the comics, when I collect them into zines they include prose commentary and photocollages, etc.

Probably my favorite example of comic and prose mixing was Phoebe Gloeckner's "Diary Of A Teenage Girl".
5th Mar 2014, 7:52 PM #10
Fubar
full of gay magic
Registration date: 21st Apr 2011
Dr.Mantis Toboggan:

Is this real or another CAD photoshop, because on one hand of course Tim would look for any excuse he can to put less effort into his artwork, but on the other it's too ridiculous.

This is it, this is the point where I stopped being able to tell if it's a joke about CAD or CAD being a fucking joke.

It's actually legit which makes it all the more hilarious.

What's weirder is that CAD is actually showing signs of improving. There's been far less wordswordswords and explaining the joke lately. All of that has been sucked up by PA.

It's like CAD reached the absolute rock bottom and ended up with no other way but up.
6th Mar 2014, 5:07 PM #11
cheezyweezy

Registration date: 7th Sep 2012
I have been considering this for my next comic, but instead of a comic it would feel like an illustrated storybook or something. Dunno what to call it. But I had imagined keeping it more sequence for scenes where there's a lot of action and more words where the characters are just sitting down and talking. Thought it would be a good idea for a way to get more focus on the artwork to look more awesome, especially the scenery.

If you're interested in my art and wanna see more check out my deviantart
6th Mar 2014, 9:58 PM #12
AixenPixel

cheezyweezy:I have been considering this for my next comic, but instead of a comic it would feel like an illustrated storybook or something. Dunno what to call it. But I had imagined keeping it more sequence for scenes where there's a lot of action and more words where the characters are just sitting down and talking. Thought it would be a good idea for a way to get more focus on the artwork to look more awesome, especially the scenery.

Here darling!
http://www.queeniechan.com/online-mangacomics/comics-prose/

This article should tickle your artistic bones. And other peoples as well.
8th Mar 2014, 6:36 PM #13
dcarr55

Registration date: 6th Apr 2013
My feelings pretty much echo Fubar #4. Dave Sim (Cerebus) uses this pretty effectively in READS (Dave Sim & Gerhard).
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Comic-Prose style, A Mix of both worlds??
Pages: [1]