Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Ugh, I bought a cintiq and (rant)

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Ugh, I bought a cintiq and (rant)
Pages: [1] [2]

"Ugh, I bought a cintiq and (rant)", 6th Mar 2014, 2:49 AM #1
Fractals
formerly Skullbie
Registration date: 15th Apr 2011
I buy a cintiq online and i'm pretty excited. It's shipped through fedex so it will come to my address. Okay, good. Only fedex is literally so lazy they hand it off to USPS, and I don't have a mailbox, so USPS sends it back to the sellers within 45 minutes. ~THANKS FEDEX~

So I email the sellers and they say no problem and send me another one.

I bought the 13HD cintiq because i wanted to draw on my lap. I saw the 3-in-1 cords in a picture and didn't really research it too much, i figured they were just there for whichever port you might have on your laptop available, because, what needs that many cords? Nope. You have to have every port hooked up and it looks like this with no small exaggeration:

This wouldn't be a huge problem except I don't have an HDMI port on my laptop. So i set out to get an adapter for a usb to hdmi adapter at walmart, get told that is impossible by a rude customer who overheard me, tell him to stfu (nicely obviously) and then go to radioshack to by this 'impossible' adapter for 50$. Get home, install it, and wacom tells me it's not going to work. (literally gives me a pop up saying no) Basically if i want to use this stupid thing... i will need a brand new laptop.

Now I'm so bummed i don't even want it. I was so excited but it was super expensive for me even without that downer news. Now i'm trying to decide if it's worth it.
6th Mar 2014, 3:05 AM #2
killersteak
Botanist
Registration date: 25th Apr 2011
What ports are on your laptop? DVI converts to hdmi easily. VGA converts to DVI easily.

USB to video is possible, I've seen it used in 3 screen configurations, it acts as another graphics card.

6th Mar 2014, 3:23 AM #3
Fractals
formerly Skullbie
killersteak:What ports are on your laptop? DVI converts to hdmi easily. VGA converts to DVI easily.

USB to video is possible, I've seen it used in 3 screen configurations, it acts as another graphics card.

I have VGA, i believe... The tablet requires both the hdmi and usb to be plugged into the computer and said no to my usb to hdmi adapter.
6th Mar 2014, 3:28 AM #4
Text
You should see my other booty
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
Is it a driver issue? Maybe you can search for the necessary drivers or put up a help topic on the Cintiq site. Though help topics have a tendency to help very little- usually they just hand wave you or give you a "solution" that you've tried all ready and had all ready told them you tried and then make no more attempts to help you.

Friggin' tech support.
6th Mar 2014, 4:08 AM #5
Fractals
formerly Skullbie
Sivrus:Is it a driver issue? Maybe you can search for the necessary drivers or put up a help topic on the Cintiq site. Though help topics have a tendency to help very little- usually they just hand wave you or give you a "solution" that you've tried all ready and had all ready told them you tried and then make no more attempts to help you.

Friggin' tech support.

Yeah it's all up to date. I'm gonna try buying another adapter online before I give up.
6th Mar 2014, 4:11 AM #6
Proxy170

Registration date: 3rd Nov 2013
If you haven't tried one yet, the Windows Surface Pro is fantastic. I use mine with Photoshop installed and draw straight on the screen, like you would a Cintiq. Pressure sensitivity is just as good, too.
6th Mar 2014, 4:27 AM #7
view

Registration date: 8th May 2011
Just to be sure: it has a video connection and a USB connection. The USB is for control (pen). The video needs to be a video connection, not a USB connection, because the computer needs to deal with it as if it were another monitor.

Plugging it into the VGA port should work, or if you have a docking station, you could probably hijack a video connection from that.
6th Mar 2014, 5:13 AM #8
killersteak
Botanist
Registration date: 25th Apr 2011
Fractals: said no to my usb to hdmi adapter.

I don't know how much googling you've done on this yet, but:

"If you are on Windows: check the display settings, whether the Cintiq is detected as monitor. If so, make sure to activate it as 'extended desktop'. Windows is not doing this automatically. If the Cintiq is not detected, it is probably a problem of the adapter."

The adapters to get you from VGA to HDMI are also going to be very cheap. Do a hunt around for "female HDMI to DVI-I Dual link adaptor" and "DVI Dual Link Female To VGA Male Converter Adapter"
6th Mar 2014, 5:45 AM #9
Dr.Mantis Toboggan

Registration date: 20th Dec 2013
Don't pay 50 dollars for a converter, or any kind of converter/cables from a store. They grossly upmark. HDMI cables is a prime example of this. Search "female HDMI to DVI-I Dual link adaptor" (like Killersteak said) on newegg and you'll pull a ton of options up.
6th Mar 2014, 8:24 AM #10
Fractals
formerly Skullbie
killersteak:
"If you are on Windows: check the display settings, whether the Cintiq is detected as monitor. If so, make sure to activate it as 'extended desktop'. Windows is not doing this automatically. If the Cintiq is not detected, it is probably a problem of the adapter."

Thank you soooo much. It worked! Did that and removed/installed the driver a couple times and it finally draws... Thank you again!

Looks like i'm experiencing some lag due to my crappy laptop anyways. I'll deal with that when i'm ready to spend the money on a decent computer for once in my life (though with the price of the cintiq i guess people could argue my priorities are a little flipped).
6th Mar 2014, 10:33 AM #11
Zannthesword

Registration date: 10th Sep 2013
call bamboo, they have other cords for it.

edit: seems like you fixed the problem so never mind
6th Mar 2014, 11:05 AM #12
Sheik
smartest motherfucker around
Registration date: 5th Dec 2012
(Posted in the wrong thread sorry)
6th Mar 2014, 11:11 AM #13
Jarvi
formerly Saari
Registration date: 20th Sep 2013
Okay, now that it is working... how do you like it? :)
6th Mar 2014, 11:54 PM #14
Fractals
formerly Skullbie
Saari:Okay, now that it is working... how do you like it? :)

I'm not so stupid to believe that I'll suddenly be drawing conceptart.org level art, but i've yet to be convinced this is worth the 800$ price difference from my intuos4. They are almost exactly alike in terms of size, feel, and drawing. This is fine because I got this model for my current set-up, but for the price...well, i'll keep the packaging, just in case. I may end up getting a non-wacom model if I can find one that doesn't weigh 20lbs or heats.

The cords are silly but the pen case is probably the coolest thing wacom has ever created. Just opening and closing it gives you the most immense satisfaction, I know that sounds stupid, but it is soothing. I'm pretty positive they spent more on researching the case than the tablet itself. xP

Thanks for the help, everyone.
7th Mar 2014, 8:22 AM #15
Kyo
no longer a family man
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
well it is openly advertised as the exact same technology as intuous, plus a screen so that's not really surprising. For me, I did notice a difference in my output but I don't think that's necessarily because the tablet allows you to draw better, but because it's more convenient to draw. Like, I could produce about the same results (i.e. not that good) on both screen-tablet and non-screen-tablet but it takes me longer on a regular tablet, and I'd be less hesitant to do so on the cintiq.
7th Mar 2014, 8:25 AM #16
Dr.Mantis Toboggan

i spend like 40 bucks total on some paper, pens, a pencil, and grain alcohol

ya'll are suckers
7th Mar 2014, 8:37 AM #17
Kyo
no longer a family man
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
you spent 40 bucks on paper and pencils and are calling me a sucker?
7th Mar 2014, 8:41 AM #18
Dr.Mantis Toboggan

Kyo:you spent 40 bucks on paper and pencils and are calling me a sucker?

and grain alcohol

7th Mar 2014, 11:20 AM #19
Zannthesword

Registration date: 10th Sep 2013
i spent 70 on the bamboo splash. it still feels the same as drawing on paper and i don't see why you would need more than 2 buttons at the moment.
7th Mar 2014, 1:38 PM #20
Jarvi
formerly Saari
Registration date: 20th Sep 2013
This Bamboo Splash looks exactly like my old Bamboo Pen. I've had so many problems with this thing. If you don't have a desk, if you like to keep your tablet on your lap while drawing, then this thing is bad unless you buy the wireless addition. The power socket is so badly done that after some time of moving it from floor to lap and back the tablet started to turn off and on randomly while drawing. I had two of those and damaged both even if I tried to be careful with them .>.<. The first one they replaced me at the shop with the second one, that lasted like half a year and died completely while moving houses.

Now I have Intuos Pen which is something like Bamboo but with changed name, and since September, have no problems with it :)