Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - The "I use to draw anime." support thred

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > The "I use to draw anime." support thred
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

"The "I use to draw anime." support thred", 8th Apr 2014, 5:46 PM #1
the rouge humingbird

Registration date: 4th Dec 2013
That point in your life where you where( or are depending on you current point in life.)A young developing artist who started off drawing anime without any knowledge of proper anatomy. you just thought you where so cool. until you realized that you have drawn yourself into a hole.

Now I am not hating on anime, or any one who draws it, I write this thread out of experience. I was once that dorky middle schooler who drew bad anime.

This is a place to tell you story about your experiences, or give tips foe any one currently experiencing this.
8th Apr 2014, 5:59 PM #2
rokulily
~
Registration date: 18th Apr 2011
i too confess that i was a bad anime/manga drawer in middle school and as i was developing my own styles those the middle school anime/manga days continue to haunt me into the early years of high school. i even did the thing where you'd put in random japanese with the english. it was awful

i still have some drawings around as a reminder to never go back
8th Apr 2014, 5:59 PM #3
the rouge humingbird

I knew I was not the only one
8th Apr 2014, 5:59 PM #4
the rouge humingbird

I knew I was not the only one
8th Apr 2014, 6:02 PM #5
Jay042
Old school
Registration date: 7th Nov 2009
Yeah, and the fact there are so many "how to draw manga" books out there encouraging kids to focus on that without a proper grounding in anatomy is probably having a negative impact on the potential skill of some people. I always wondered what middle and high school art teachers thought of this.
8th Apr 2014, 6:06 PM #6
Aoihide

Registration date: 3rd Oct 2013
Idon'tknowifIshouldsaythis, but i am actually a middle schooler

---i never said that ok? it's our secret---
8th Apr 2014, 6:07 PM #7
Rinkel
cat face
Registration date: 24th May 2012
Ahahahaha I never outgrew the 'drawing anime' stage. I did get better and stopped trying to be so Japanese but my art still looks very anime. I did take the time to learn proper anatomy and proportions and stuff but... its still very anime. And I do still have some older (awful) drawings somewhere.
8th Apr 2014, 6:08 PM #8
the rouge humingbird

It is ok if you are a middle schooler, And it is ok if you are a middle schooler who loves to draw anime. If drawing anime is what you love to do then don't let any one stop you.
8th Apr 2014, 6:13 PM #9
Aoihide

I've drawn a lot of animes, and mangas to be honest and i think i've gotten pretty good at it, but maybe i'm just at the same stage you guys were :)
8th Apr 2014, 6:39 PM #10
Rinkel
cat face
Registration date: 24th May 2012
There's nothing wrong with drawing anime. There are a lot of different art styles in the world and anime is one of them. I've seen some really good anime style art, and some really bad anime style art.

You just have to find an art style that works for you, be it anime, cartoon, realism, abstract, etc.
8th Apr 2014, 6:41 PM #11
Kupocake

Registration date: 14th Mar 2012
Hahahha oh god. This is a drawing I did in 2005.

To people who enjoy drawing anime, keep enjoying it! If you like the art style and you're happy with it, don't let anybody shame you on it. Everybody's gotta start somewhere, and anime was a lot of people's gateway into art.

(But for me is a horrible source of laughable shame)
Updates Tuesdays!
8th Apr 2014, 6:51 PM #12
the rouge humingbird

The only problem I had with the style is that I started drawing it with out teaching my self the basics of anatomy or anything like that, so it was very hard to shake off. You need to know the rules of anatomy so that you can brake them properly.
8th Apr 2014, 6:54 PM #13
HolyLancer

Registration date: 25th Apr 2010
Rinkel:There's nothing wrong with drawing anime. There are a lot of different art styles in the world and anime is one of them. I've seen some really good anime style art, and some really bad anime style art.

You just have to find an art style that works for you, be it anime, cartoon, realism, abstract, etc.

Let's not forget that "anime" isn't even really a style, technically. There are several sub-styles with in Japanese animation/comics. Just as much as really any other region.
8th Apr 2014, 6:57 PM #14
Aoihide

image[/URL]

Well, thats how my current drawing ability is right now, as a middle schooler
8th Apr 2014, 7:00 PM #15
Fubar
full of gay magic
Registration date: 21st Apr 2011
Yeah, I was a teenage weeaboo, and like most others it was my sort of gateway into art. I think what got me into it was Akira, those backgrounds just blew my mind as a kid. After reading Donald Duck for years as a kid, it was like taking acid after a gallon of warm milk; my mind just expaaaaaanded and it opened a whole new world of entirely new, excitingly vibrant and dynamic comics. It was a formative experience for me as an artist, and even though I picked up some bad habits from it, in the long run I don't think I'd be as far as an artist as I am now, had I not gotten that electric shock in the nutsack that was my first exposure to manga.

And you know, if ya love it, cool. Do whatcha love doin'. But if ya'll are plannin' on bein' serious about art, usin' anime and manga for learning art (instead of using the style just as a certain way of drawing things), like taking notes about anatomy by copying manga, is just shootin' yerself in the leg.

So, draw manga to your hearts content, but when you work with the intention of improving your art, study real life instead. The things you'll learn from that will transfer over to your manga work, and improve your style even though it might seem like you're drawing something completely different. Before you stylize, ya oughta know how it works in real life.

I wouldn't go the other way either and say that never draw manga. I'm just sayin' never draw webcomics because they're all awful. Drawing nothing but real life stuff can get boring, and if everybody's goin' fer realism, where's the fun in that? Just as important as it is to know how to depict things how they are in real life, is knowing how to make things look different than they are. Knowing how to put personality, how to put your own touch into the work.

And the wide variety and sleek, pop-culture style that anime and manga as a medium offer is a great resource for all kinds of artistic fingerprints.
8th Apr 2014, 7:01 PM #16
Kupocake

Registration date: 14th Mar 2012
the rouge humingbird:The only problem I had with the style is that I started drawing it with out teaching my self the basics of anatomy or anything like that, so it was very hard to shake off. You need to know the rules of anatomy so that you can brake them properly.

I can agree with that, buuut when you're young and new to art, you're just drawing whatever you think looks cool. Artists begin seeking ways to improve when they begin developing a sense of taste and an awareness about their art's quality. And for me personally, it didn't hit me until the last couple of years of high school that my anatomy, draftsmanship, sense of color, etc. were crap and I needed to figure out how to improve.

The desire to improve is what will drive people to learn art foundations. But I think it's better to start young artists off with what interests them so that they can begin their journey with a passion for their drawings.
Updates Tuesdays!
8th Apr 2014, 7:10 PM #17
Aoihide

Kupocake:
the rouge humingbird:The only problem I had with the style is that I started drawing it with out teaching my self the basics of anatomy or anything like that, so it was very hard to shake off. You need to know the rules of anatomy so that you can brake them properly.

I can agree with that, buuut when you're young and new to art, you're just drawing whatever you think looks cool. Artists begin seeking ways to improve when they begin developing a sense of taste and an awareness about their art's quality. And for me personally, it didn't hit me until the last couple of years of high school that my anatomy, draftsmanship, sense of color, etc. were crap and I needed to figure out how to improve.

The desire to improve is what will drive people to learn art foundations. But I think it's better to start young artists off with what interests them so that they can begin their journey with a passion for their drawings.

I had the same prob in primary school, but after i made a account in deviantart, i saw what i lacked, and i lacked a lot, i think it was in 7th grade, when i decided to improve my artwork. I started with watching tutorials and HTD vids, i drew a lot to improve, and i really improved massively. When i look back, i can't believe it's my art. Been 2 years now
8th Apr 2014, 7:16 PM #18
PrussianMoose

Registration date: 9th Apr 2013
This was a "character about page" from my middle school naruto roleplaying days. Shudder.....
8th Apr 2014, 7:21 PM #19
Drobvirks

Registration date: 27th Nov 2010
*war flashbacks*

Beyblade was really cool at the time okay
8th Apr 2014, 7:23 PM #20
the rouge humingbird

Well, thats how my current drawing ability is right now, as a middle schooler

Well that is certainly a lot better then my art in middle school. here have some examples.