Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Your Early Comics

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Your Early Comics
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]

"Your Early Comics", 18th Aug 2014, 8:41 AM #1
demcleod♂

Referrals: 0
Registration date: 7th Apr 2014
I was originally intending to start this thread talking about the first comic I myself have ever done, but that would kinda be a one-sided subject and thought a better thread would be where EVERYONE talks about their first comics and the good memories and the bad they've had making their first comics. You can also talk about other early comics that played a significant role in your life and your evolution in your art. I'll go first and this one is really funny.

I was in the first grade. We were living with my grandma and pop at the time, which was chaotic in a two bedroom, small mobile home. My grandma would watch cooking shows in the afternoon. I HATE cooking shows. I think they are so boring, like watching paint dry. Why they have whole channels for that crap, I'll never know. I'm a fan of eating though X-D

Anyway, there was a show she loved called Yan Can Cook. I hated every minute of being forced to watch this show. And keep in mind I have always been a creative guy, doodling stupid and absurd drawings and was surprisingly good at drawing the Power Rangers, though I wasn't a truly talented artist at the time, I just did this all for fun.

Anyway, I don't remember exactly how I got this idea in my head, but I had a morbid sense of humor at that age and decided to make a comic, a parody of Yan Can Cook called instead Yan Can Kill. I don't know how many "comics" I made of this character, but here's pretty much the basic idea.

Yan has a cooking show (of course) but his dishes are let's say, a little "taboo". the show is centered on him killing people in creative and hilarious ways, then eating them. All on live television. He would not only kill them in creative fashions, but also cook them into creative meals. Hungry for cheeseburgers? How about instead of hamburger meat, we use brain matter?

I think the most creative ones I did were Yan in a helicopter, flying to the top of a building where his victim is tied up and slicing him apart with the helicopter blade. Also there was one were Yan boils someone alive in a cauldron. These drawings were rather graphic and bloody too. I look back at them with fond memories.

I even showed them to my teacher, who perhaps as deranged as me, laughed at them. She was a huge fan. X-D

I don't know what happened to all my Yan Can Kill comics sadly. I wish I still had them. I've actually even thought about bringing Yan Can Kill back into its own web comic. If I get enough yes votes on it, I'll totally do it. I really don't mind doing violence in a cartoony and humorous way.

I want to talk about my official early comics as well, but this post is already getting a little long and I want to read about other people's early comics. Heck even doodles they did that made them laugh or have fond memories of? Please share your stories. And if you have pictures of your early comics, fortunate enough to still have them, please share. I think we'd all love to see. :-D

My latest webcomic: Through Amy's Eyes
18th Aug 2014, 9:24 AM #2
revzet♀

Registration date: 23rd Jan 2014
The first comic that I can remember making was about a robot weather man xD. I still have the sketchbook, and look back on them every now and then (they were pretty funny for how young I was haha). The first strip I made in it was him predicting a bunch of flaming asteroids as the weather for that day, followed by it crashing into the weather station.... I don't even know haha.
18th Aug 2014, 9:33 AM #3
demcleod♂

revzet:The first comic that I can remember making was about a robot weather man xD. I still have the sketchbook, and look back on them every now and then (they were pretty funny for how young I was haha). The first strip I made in it was him predicting a bunch of flaming asteroids as the weather for that day, followed by it crashing into the weather station.... I don't even know haha.

Haha, that's really great, Rev. It sounds like one you should actually bring back as a gag-a-day comic. Like what if he's a terrible weather man (like most HUMAN ones) he predicts the world that day being destroyed by asteroids, only to have it destroyed by something totally stupid and unexpected. haha. I see a lot of potential for that comic actually. I would love to see your sketches of this. :-D

18th Aug 2014, 9:36 AM #4
Seeen♀

Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
My first comics were Comic Blobs, if I remember correctly. But frankly, just about every comic idea I have now is just a really early one that's been matured, evolved, grown, and revised over the years. Some have even combined with others.
18th Aug 2014, 9:42 AM #5
demcleod♂

Sivrus:My first comics were Comic Blobs, if I remember correctly. But frankly, just about every comic idea I have now is just a really early one that's been matured, evolved, grown, and revised over the years. Some have even combined with others.

Hey Sivrus. I'd really like to know more about these early comics. That's really the point. ;-) What were they about? Even as blobs?

18th Aug 2014, 9:49 AM #6
Nama
J
Registration date: 15th Nov 2012
My first comic was about a super powered, one eyed pickle. He was my first main character that I used for anything. I still have the poorly put together comic book that is just folded paper glued to each other's backs (I clearly never considered drawing on the back of the paper.) it was basically like a mix of Power Rangers and the show about the cucumber and tomato (Can't for the life of me remember that name.)
18th Aug 2014, 10:00 AM #7
demcleod♂

Nama:My first comic was about a super powered, one eyed pickle. He was my first main character that I used for anything. I still have the poorly put together comic book that is just folded paper glued to each other's backs (I clearly never considered drawing on the back of the paper.) it was basically like a mix of Power Rangers and the show about the cucumber and tomato (Can't for the life of me remember that name.)

Hahaha a superpowered, one eyed pickle sounds like a hilarious comic. You should definitely show us that comic if you ever get the chance. It sounds like a lot of fun.

As far as the show about a cucumber and tomato I have no clue. I don't think I ever saw that show. I guess Garfield & Friends and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers were more important to me. X-D

18th Aug 2014, 10:01 AM #8
Zanreo♀
Tick Tock Tick Tock
Registration date: 5th May 2014
As a small kid, I made a bunch of comics about my imaginary friends (who in a way were my first "original characters") I loved drawing and making up stories, so it was just natural that I'd start drawing comics.

I also made a bunch of various silly one-page comics as a slightly older kid, but nothing that turned into an actual series.
18th Aug 2014, 10:12 AM #9
demcleod♂

Zanreo:As a small kid, I made a bunch of comics about my imaginary friends (who in a way were my first "original characters") I loved drawing and making up stories, so it was just natural that I'd start drawing comics.

I also made a bunch of various silly one-page comics as a slightly older kids, but nothing that turned into an actual series.

That sounds cool, Zan. I never really had imaginary friends, even though I tried to make one. The imaginary entities in my life are not friendly though (schizophrenia, hallucinations, etc.) But as far as an imagination, I've always had a wild one. I think it was crazier when I was younger though and I still wish I had that young imagination. I could come up with great ideas all the time.

Do you have any of these early comics? I would love to see those or any drawings from those days. I so wish I had my old drawings. I should have been more organized as a child.

And I never really planned on a series when I was younger, but Yan Can Kill became a big part of my life and I would draw these comics and laugh hysterically the whole time. I don't really think I made too many of them, maybe just a small handful, but that character has always been stuck in my brain. X-D

18th Aug 2014, 11:03 AM #10
Pavchka♀

Registration date: 6th Aug 2013
The very first was actually a rather lame Thunderbirds fanart, mostly revolving around Scott Tracy (even today I loooooooooove Scott Tracy. Nice doll, suckulent voice). He'd fly around in all five Thunderbirds (one of them can't fly and the other is stationary, but who cares when you're 8) and save the world three times a day.

After that I moved on to a comic about a dog called Dog who's living in outer space. At some point I called him Stardog, gave him lightning powers and added four friends so they could form some sort of "Super Sentai" team called 5; Thunderbeam (Stardog's alter ego), Dogson, Hypnotiser, Firecat and Tyfoon. Today they're called the Equilibrists and their names are Thyristor, Hydron (but in real he's still called Dogson), Pluton, Firecat and Cyclone. Firecat's the main character of the story now. The story's still based on that original, poorly written story, so I've changed it into a 1980s parody so it can be legitimately poorly written this time. And writing it is fun. I can do whatever I want. :)
Storywise Firecat and his evil clone Ash Cat (originally called Black Cat) received the biggest overhaul, but when it comes to design they and good old Stardog are actually the ones who changed least. In fact Stardog hardly changed at all. He's where it all began. <3

I still have the original drawings somewhere, unless I threw them away without thinking when I moved.
18th Aug 2014, 11:26 AM #11
dpat57♂

Registration date: 14th Oct 2010
Pavchka:The very first was actually a rather lame Thunderbirds fanart, mostly revolving around Scott Tracy (even today I loooooooooove Scott Tracy. Nice doll, suckulent voice). He'd fly around in all five Thunderbirds (one of them can't fly and the other is stationary, but who cares when you're 8) and save the world three times a day.

I always thought Scott was the coolest Tracy brother. I soooo wanted to fly Thunderbird One. At 9,000 miles per hour. And land vertically.

My first comics were horror pieces with mummies inside a pyramid killing explorers, and a vampire bat guy who flapped around lusting for blood. Thankfully they're lost in the mists of time. OR ARE THEY?!

Edit: exactly 1 year on...

Edit 2: Finished, @ 15 pages!

18th Aug 2014, 11:54 AM #12
Deo♂

Registration date: 30th Sep 2011
my first comic is down here, and from my point of view is a complete and total train wreck. The story was created on a "i need to make something NOW" basis, was mostly a bunch of ideas cobbled together, the art is/was equally bad(i'm getting better), but i learned a lot of things. mainly that i love to color pages and i want to work in this field

18th Aug 2014, 11:59 AM #13
the rouge humingbird♀

Registration date: 4th Dec 2013
Cuttlefish Is my fist comic to actually go anywhere. As for my first attempt of comic macing, I drew a few pages of a harvest moon fanfiction I drew in middleschool.
18th Aug 2014, 12:44 PM #14
VanEzzania

Registration date: 27th Mar 2013
The first comic I ever did was just the daily lives of four kids (two girls, two guys) and their families. The first comics I ever read were the old Calvin and Hobbes and I thought I'd just do the same. As you can probably guess, that series has been long done bu the characters live on.

The first serious comic I did was entitled Uncanny Beings and as anyone can guess I ripped its title straight from Uncanny X-Men. It was just a series of stories about superpowered teens... and their abusive and neglectful parents.

Now Demon Witch - Prototype - is up and running so that's the thing now
18th Aug 2014, 12:49 PM #15
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
I started co-drawing a fake children's book with a friend about a couple of childhood animal friends (a monkey and a hare, from memory) going on a violent massacre. It was very popular among our school friends. We then did a lot of drawing together, designing a town, drawing amusing pictures along a theme, and generally anything to avoid our hated English classes.

I then decided to be a comic artist, drawing newspaper comics. I tossed around a few ideas, before settling on 'George', about a man employed as a human guinea pig in scientific testing. I drew a dozen or so before giving that up.

I briefly toyed with the idea of 'Geeks', about two geeks who often wandered off into their own imaginations. I struggled with ideas, and canned it after about 5 strips.

I then started one called 'Don't Go Out Tonight', a whole heap of single-panel comics based around monsters and aliens. I drew maybe 20, but was doing that more for fun than anything else.

I decided to get serious, and drew a comic called 'The Agent'. This was about an agent in a secretive government agency keeping the existence of aliens from the general public. I drew a couple of dozen of these, and even submitted them to a local paper. I was rejected as they said they didn't buy local material, for some reason. I put 'The Agent' up on the Duck Webcomics ages ago, if you are curious. Looking back, I'm not surprised they were rejected.

I then gave up drawing... for 10 years. Then, in a discussion with a friend, he really wanted to do webcomics, but couldn't draw. I could (kinda) draw, but had no idea how to webcomic. So we got together, and did some planning. I wanted to do something involving mutants from the Marvel Universe, but with crap mutations, but saving the world anyway. Eventually we settled on a more generic, random setting, and Indifferently Evil was born.

Later, we started another comic called Spiffing Tales of Adventure. That is a story unto itself, as I have just started the 5th or so iteration of the 1st chapter.

Sorry for the long post. I still have a fair bit of the old stuff, I think. If people are interested I could did them out and scan a couple.

-Argyle
18th Aug 2014, 1:21 PM #16
FlapjackStudios♂

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2013
Someday, I will reveal them. You may be surprised...
18th Aug 2014, 1:34 PM #17
Bolderousness
Contrarian
Registration date: 27th Jan 2012
The first comic I did was ATROCIOUS! I did that comic without knowing the steps of what a comic should be. I couldn't even explain the plot because there was none. Just four people who hate each other doing adventure stuff, I guess. Though, I did bring a lot of the characters from that comic into Royal Watchers, most notably, the main four. I look at Royal Watchers at another shot at that comic and I think it's going great so far. (Even though I'm still on the Prologue!)
18th Aug 2014, 1:56 PM #18
DizzasterJuice♂

Registration date: 18th Sep 2013
My first comic I made was when I was in grade school. It was about some cavemen that lived in modern day. This was waaay before the Geico cavemen. lolz
In middle school I did a lot of war comics, mostly airplane dogfight action.
In high school I had my first comic published. It was a one time short story about some miniature robots that protected a farmer's crops from bugs in their miniature jet fighters.

18th Aug 2014, 2:16 PM #19
demcleod♂

Bolderousness:The first comic I did was ATROCIOUS! I did that comic without knowing the steps of what a comic should be. I couldn't even explain the plot because there was none. Just four people who hate each other doing adventure stuff, I guess. Though, I did bring a lot of the characters from that comic into Royal Watchers, most notably, the main four. I look at Royal Watchers at another shot at that comic and I think it's going great so far. (Even though I'm still on the Prologue!)

I am really a fan of Royal Watchers and I agree it is going great so far and I look forward to seeing more of it. I really like the style you use. I use a similar style for Tetsuo's Tales (my secondary comic here.)

As far as anything with plot when I was 7, I don't think I would have made ANYTHING that worthwhile. I even hated writing for a long time. Or at least I talked myself into that way of thinking. haha.

That's why I'm so fond of the memories I have of Yan Can Kill. No real plot, just a violent, but funny gag-a-day sort of strip. I don't even really want to call it a strip though. It was just terribly drawn pictures with funny words. X-D

I actually want to know what everyone thinks of the idea of bringing that idea of mine back? Is it a good idea or should I bury the idea? In my opinion, a gag a day comic strip from it sounds hilarious. But that's just me. I also have fear of it being just a one joke premise, so that's why I'd like feedback.

I would like to end by saying, keep up the great work on Royal Watchers. And in my opinion, MS Paint is a very underrated tool. In fact, I use it all the time for the basic stuff and it's very user friendly. Just look at the amazing work TheMario360 does with it for example. Sometimes I can't even tell if that's the program he used. And I really like the designs of your characters. Simplified, but you give them a lot of style at the same time. Keep up the great work. :-)

18th Aug 2014, 2:28 PM #20
professordethorn♂

Registration date: 7th Jun 2014
Boy, my comics as a child were freaking stupid. I still have them all in a binder somewhere in my house, but the very first comic I ever did was called "Skeletron." I did 50 full issues of this thing, starting in 4th grade and ending before I reached the 8th grade.

The basic premise was about this skeleton that was immortal. I believe he was alive to protect a princess or some garbage like that. When those baddies came along, he would open a vial around his neck, a vial of his own blood. Somehow, this encased him in a super powered exoskeleton, and he became the hero, Skeletron. He fought a four armed man named "Gorezo" and his arch rival was this reptilian thing I only named "master."

It was pretty stupid, but it does show that I have a thing for skeletons being the main characters in my comics. 12 years later, you have Professor Maximillian Dethorn in Sci-cops.
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Your Early Comics
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]