Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Progress shots [shots shots shots shots shots (x3)], everybody!

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Progress shots [shots shots shots shots shots (x3)], everybody!
Pages: [1]

"Progress shots [shots shots shots shots shots (x3)], everybody!", 9th Sep 2014, 6:59 AM #1
13blackhats

Registration date: 8th Jul 2013
Location: So Cal is where my mind states, but it's not my state of mind
I don't know why, but I like looking at progress shots (shots shots shots...) of comics from start to finish. What are your techniques and what tools do you use? How long does each step take?

I wish I could say doing flats takes 5 seconds, but picking colors that look nice together is HARD. Hopefully with enough practice, it'll be easier. My first page is taking forever, because I'm experimenting with so many techniques, but I'm getting there.

9th Sep 2014, 7:24 AM #2
C.S. Jones

Registration date: 28th Mar 2014
We have a (really big, sticky) thread for this already.
9th Sep 2014, 7:38 AM #3
13blackhats

Registration date: 8th Jul 2013
Location: So Cal is where my mind states, but it's not my state of mind
C.S. Jones:We have a (really big, sticky) thread for this already.

I came to understand that that thread was for random things you were working on rather than a how-to in your comic style. I meant progress shots as in pictures of a work from beginning to end. (You see, that is why it is "shots shots shots shots shots shots shots shots shots shots shots shots shots shots shots shots" and not just "shot".) I wanted it to be a bit more in depth since most people only talk about how they do it rather than include pictures of each step. I figured it would be more informative for people looking for other ways to go about drawing/inking/coloring/shading their comics or to find a more efficient way to do it.
9th Sep 2014, 12:30 PM #4
mfox151

Registration date: 13th May 2014
I'll gladly show my process if anyone is interested. :)
9th Sep 2014, 12:33 PM #5
Silent_G-pen

Registration date: 2nd Sep 2014
I agree with "experimenting takes time" :) but the moment u found ur own style, everything will be easy then it flows like boom! :)

9th Sep 2014, 2:05 PM #6
Breck

Registration date: 29th Sep 2009
A "Workflow Thread", huh? Seems interesting. If I get some time this week I'll do one.
9th Sep 2014, 4:03 PM #7
Seabiscuit
mattress of pork aspiration
Registration date: 14th Jan 2014
Ohh me too! I love these. I love seeing everyones progress! Especially sketches, and flat lineart...Awesome!

Random ass panel from an older page showing my steps;

These are fun, post some more!
9th Sep 2014, 4:17 PM #8
Alicia

Registration date: 4th Aug 2009
Ah, cool! It is always fun to see how pages are built up! ^.^

Here's an example of how I make my pages for Silver. (I draw and ink the pages on paper with a pencil and ink, traditionally. Then I add the tones and darken the lines digitally. Overall, each pages takes approximately 3-4 hours.)
9th Sep 2014, 5:41 PM #9
Damatris

Registration date: 4th Mar 2014
I'm going to use my second Q&A answer for this. :D

( The whole process takes me around 20 hours >__< I'm sadly very very slow.)
9th Sep 2014, 9:54 PM #10
Singring

Registration date: 21st May 2014
Great - I love seeing people's work process. Some really interesting posts so far! Here's a snippet of an upcoming page of 'The Cull' (minor spoilers), with some explanation on the stages in my process. I'm hoping to start creating YouTube videos whee I explain more about how I compose pages etc. in the near future.

Thumbnails:
These are actually from a different page, but you can see that I do very rough thumbnails for each page (pencil on paper, four pages of thumbnails to an A4 sheet). I'll often change panel arrangement and composition once I start pencilling the page proper, simply because I discover there's things I can improve and things I need to change to fit the lettering.

Pencils:
Mechanical pencil (2H to B) on A4 bristol board. I don't work on traditional comic art board because it takes more time and I don't have a scanner large enough to fit the sheets. This means I lose resolution, but it works for my purposes. A full page will usually take me anywhere between 6 and 10 hours.

Line inks:
As you see, this truly is 'linework' - not many blocks of black, mostly quite detailed. I mostly use Edding 1800 and Uni pin Fine Line permanent markers for this. A full page usually takes me 4 to 6 hours.

Full inks:
This is where I go in with the Faber Castell PITT artist pens (from the 'shades of grey' set) to fill in shadows and contours. I also use some TOMBOW ABT brush pens for some of the grey tones and the reds. This takes me about 2 to 3 hours a page. After this, I scan the page and do the lettering and final processing in GIMP 2.0.

Final page:
I adjust midtones, contrast etc. in GIMP, then add additional shading where I feel it's necessary and then, depending on the atmosphere etc., I add lighting effects. In this case, I also added black panel borders. I also sometimes correct continuity errors and mistakes in my art. For example, on this page, I made two slight changes to panels to correct some issues with figure proportion I spotted only after inking. If you look very carefully, you might be able to spot them. I can drop some hints later... ;). This is where I find digital post-processing very useful to iron out final kinks. Finally, I do the lettering. This can take anywhere between 2 and 4 hours.

So that's it... a full page of The Cull takes me about 12 hours in the best case. Which explains why I only update once a week (and within the next half year I will have to switch to bi-weekly updates to maintain my buffer). A lot of effort, but I hope it shows on the page.
eMail: cullcomic@gmail.com/Twitter:@CullComic/Tumblr:cullcomic.tumblr.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/The-Cull/696201553762976?ref=hl
9th Sep 2014, 11:37 PM #11
Kuri

Registration date: 22nd Jun 2011
Alicia:Ah, cool! It is always fun to see how pages are built up! ^.^

Here's an example of how I make my pages for Silver. (I draw and ink the pages on paper with a pencil and ink, traditionally. Then I add the tones and darken the lines digitally. Overall, each pages takes approximately 3-4 hours.)

Alicia, what do you ink with? I always thought you inked digitally for some reason :P

Also, what settings do you use to scan? I scan my comics in black and white, so I don't need to darken the lines. I remember seeing that on someone's blog once and it has saved me soo much time xD

Cool thread!! I'll take progress pictures the next time I draw something so I can share x'D
10th Sep 2014, 2:30 AM #12
Spelledeg
Petal pusher
Registration date: 15th Aug 2014
Singring:Great - I love seeing people's work process. Some really interesting posts so far! Here's a snippet of an upcoming page of 'The Cull' (minor spoilers), with some explanation on the stages in my process. I'm hoping to start creating YouTube videos whee I explain more about how I compose pages etc. in the near future.

Thumbnails:
These are actually from a different page, but you can see that I do very rough thumbnails for each page (pencil on paper, four pages of thumbnails to an A4 sheet). I'll often change panel arrangement and composition once I start pencilling the page proper, simply because I discover there's things I can improve and things I need to change to fit the lettering.

Pencils:
Mechanical pencil (2H to B) on A4 bristol board. I don't work on traditional comic art board because it takes more time and I don't have a scanner large enough to fit the sheets. This means I lose resolution, but it works for my purposes. A full page will usually take me anywhere between 6 and 10 hours.

Line inks:
As you see, this truly is 'linework' - not many blocks of black, mostly quite detailed. I mostly use Edding 1800 and Uni pin Fine Line permanent markers for this. A full page usually takes me 4 to 6 hours.

Full inks:
This is where I go in with the Faber Castell PITT artist pens (from the 'shades of grey' set) to fill in shadows and contours. I also use some TOMBOW ABT brush pens for some of the grey tones and the reds. This takes me about 2 to 3 hours a page. After this, I scan the page and do the lettering and final processing in GIMP 2.0.

Final page:
I adjust midtones, contrast etc. in GIMP, then add additional shading where I feel it's necessary and then, depending on the atmosphere etc., I add lighting effects. In this case, I also added black panel borders. I also sometimes correct continuity errors and mistakes in my art. For example, on this page, I made two slight changes to panels to correct some issues with figure proportion I spotted only after inking. If you look very carefully, you might be able to spot them. I can drop some hints later... ;). This is where I find digital post-processing very useful to iron out final kinks. Finally, I do the lettering. This can take anywhere between 2 and 4 hours.

So that's it... a full page of The Cull takes me about 12 hours in the best case. Which explains why I only update once a week (and within the next half year I will have to switch to bi-weekly updates to maintain my buffer). A lot of effort, but I hope it shows on the page.

Oh my goodness... Your process and pages are gorgeous. *o* I would say it's definitely worth it, your pages are so precise and that is beautiful.

...I guess this means I'll have to hop on this thing and show my process for Black Gate then. :')
10th Sep 2014, 5:39 AM #13
Breck

Registration date: 29th Sep 2009
This thread is super cool. My turn now.

10th Sep 2014, 2:55 PM #14
Alicia

Registration date: 4th Aug 2009
Kuri:Alicia, what do you ink with? I always thought you inked digitally for some reason :P

Also, what settings do you use to scan? I scan my comics in black and white, so I don't need to darken the lines. I remember seeing that on someone's blog once and it has saved me soo much time xD

I ink using a combination of a brush pen and a technical pen. I have NEVER been able to ink digitally and make it look as good. I scan my pages at 300 dpi without darkening them on the scanner. I then take the pages into Paint.net (a free version of Photoshop) to edit them where I change the mode to black and white and I adjust the levels to make the blacks true and the white actually white. It only takes a matter of seconds to do this and I feel it makes the lines come out looking very smooth and clean. Then I duplicate and multiply the layer of lines and add a tiny Gaussian blur. This softens the lines just a little and has a nice effect. :)

I am excited to see how you put together your pages! :D
10th Sep 2014, 8:39 PM #15
zartala

Registration date: 26th Sep 2011
I love looking at everyone's progress from start to finish! There's always something new to learn from watching the steps others take to create a completed work.

Almost a year ago I made this animated gif that moved through my comic process:

Also from about a year ago I made a 3 part tutorial that goes into way more detail about all the steps I use to take to complete a page (it focuses on one panel).

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

I use to use Photoshop exclusively to work on pages but since the summer I've been experimenting with completing some of the steps in Manga Studio. Manga Studio is just a whole lot better than Photoshop for some things but not everything.
10th Sep 2014, 9:17 PM #16
skleggle

Registration date: 25th Mar 2014
Fun :D I love seeing people's progress!

Here's mine, sort of. I left out lettering, but that's basically just selecting a shape and drop-filling it with white, then putting a stroke around the layer.

12th Sep 2014, 7:22 AM #17
rufiangel

Registration date: 11th Jan 2013
I really like this thread! :D It's been really educational reading through everyone's processes. I'm learning stuff I'd love to try applying some time! Thanks for being so generous, everyone, and sharing your tricks and tips!!

I'll try to share my process too, though I don't know how helpful anyone will find it. XD; My entire process is digital, on Photoshop.

So usually I take around four to six hours to produce a page, though sometimes I'll take nine hours if the panel has action or magic, because of all the effects I need to add. Thankfully I've sped up my process a lot, but I'm still unable to produce a page in less than four hours, despite my lazy shading methods. XD;
12th Sep 2014, 12:25 PM #18
Mimi
formerly known as Prince
Registration date: 19th Jun 2014
(For some reason I've been delaying posting here for days but here I am)
How I make a typical SoR panel:

(spoiler'd for possible bigness)

I work on two strips at a time (usually a Monday strip and a Friday strip) and from start to finsh the whole process for both lasts about a week (counting procrastination and general slowness/busyness and sleeping).
I use PaintTool SAI and a tablet but I letter in Inkscape. The font is made from my handwriting with PaintFont (aka MyScriptFont). Making each strip 4 panels long is largely because SAI doesn't have a ruler so I had to make a template in my old PS Elements. :U

The times in the image above account for the whole strip. And the times vary based on complexity of the panel (background, whether or not there is much dialogue at all).

More rambling under spoiler:

twitts | tumbls
"be one with the purple" -Seeen
14th Sep 2014, 8:48 PM #19
noctuidae

Registration date: 28th Apr 2014
my pages are pretty straightforward i guess but here's my process anyway.

1. sketch and re-sketch. this in conjunction with the lineart varies in time depending on how well i can draw that day.

2. lineart.

3. hatching and crosshatching. took about an hour for this page. there was once a clear reason why i did this instead of shading but i guess i've forgotten why. i like this part because it helps hide my sloppy lineart HOO HOO

4. grayscale flats. this took another hour. then i'm finished.

it's rather simple and i can probably churn out a page in 6 hours, maybe less.