Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - I know we're all about comics here but don't forget about... Exercise!

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > I know we're all about comics here but don't forget about... Exercise!
Pages: [1] [2]

"I know we're all about comics here but don't forget about... Exercise!", 19th Mar 2015, 9:34 AM #1
Lazylonewolf

Registration date: 9th Mar 2015
All this sitting around drawing, writing, coloring, etc. Yeah, it's not good for your health. Even more so if your hobbies also involve a lot of sitting around (video games, reading, surfing, Facebook, etc).

So I just want to say to everybody, maybe take a walk, stretch a little, or even better, plan a regular exercise schedule! Just so you won't encounter into any health problems later on. Mind you, I'm still a beginner at exercise, but boy do I feel great! Aaaand losing a bit of weight, and gaining some muscle certainly doesn't hurt.

Welp, good luck to everyone on their comic, and stay healthy!
19th Mar 2015, 10:12 AM #2
TAOMark
formerly another person
Registration date: 11th Aug 2013
This was like when my DS tells me I've been playing too long. Or when a game tells me it's fun to play online with friends but it's also fun to play outside with friends.

I sometimes need these reminders. Especially on days where I've got nothing planned or no reason to leave the house. I almost went an entire day without speaking. My flatmates were on holiday, I didn't have work and I'd just moved to a new country so didn't know many people.

Think I'll go for a walk.
19th Mar 2015, 10:15 AM #3
Lazylonewolf

Hah, yeah I know the feeling. Well, I'm glad I helped a bit. Now you take that walk now and enjoy it!
19th Mar 2015, 10:26 AM #4
Aurhiro

Registration date: 11th Dec 2014

Yes, I lift.

^ This guy knows. ;)

Lazy Lone Wolf speaks the truth, exercise is a serious boon to your health and happiness. It's pretty intimidating at first but once you ease into it, you realize it's not that bad. When I first started out, I could barely lift a 15lb weight. I went to this super jacked guy I know for advice thinking he'd be all encouraging because he should know what it feels like. He proceeded to relentlessly make fun of me, some other dude joined in, other dude destroyed me in an arm wrestling contest and then made fun of my max pushup count.

If I could work past that embarrassment and get into shape anyway, so can you!

Just do what you can and your body will love you for it later.

Even if you can't go to the gym, just a brisk walk around the neighborhood will do! Cardio is the best way to lose weight and a nice walk (faster than a stroll) for 20 minutes will do wonders!

http://www.trainforstrength.com/workouts.shtml

Here's some stuff equipmentless exercises to set you guys on your way.

So do what you can, your body will love you for it later.

.. Plus it feels pretty liberating to know that if worse comes to worse, you can physically destroy anyone who gives you a hard time. >;)
19th Mar 2015, 10:42 AM #5
Lazylonewolf

Haha, I remember when I started running. It was just 1 min run / 1 minute walk for 10 times, but it was still pretty hard. Right now I can run at least 30 minutes straight.
19th Mar 2015, 10:56 AM #6
Zanreo
Literal Lazer Lady
Registration date: 5th May 2014
Yeah, I pretty much never work out and haven't done so for years. Probably should try to do something, but I just don't know what to do that won't be boring (especially having to do it on a regular basis) and that won't cost me much.
19th Mar 2015, 11:00 AM #7
Deo

Registration date: 30th Sep 2011
your body is your own gym, you can do pushups, crunches, planks, leg raises, etc; i really doubt that there is a muscle that requires machinery in order to get exercised.

19th Mar 2015, 11:03 AM #8
toherrys

Registration date: 18th Dec 2014
I have the occasional dancing fit between drawing sessions, but haven't been to actual training things in a while since drawing entirely took over my life. Should probably start going for runs again, now that the snow and ice have melted and you can actually run out there without killing yourself.
19th Mar 2015, 11:18 AM #9
Lazylonewolf

Zanreo:Yeah, I pretty much never work out and haven't done so for years. Probably should try to do something, but I just don't know what to do that won't be boring (especially having to do it on a regular basis) and that won't cost me much.

Haha, I have this problem with drawing instead. I find practice really boring, although I know I need it. Hmm, I think both of our problems stem from, motivation - "why do it?"

Right now, I exercise because I need it, plus makes me feel and look great. Especially the "need" part. Heh, I should probably use that line of thinking when I practice drawing...

Deo:your body is your own gym, you can do pushups, crunches, planks, leg raises, etc; i really doubt that there is a muscle that requires machinery in order to get exercised.

Yep! Right now, running around the village and lifting weights at home is good enough for me, and I imagine, for most people.

toherrys:I have the occasional dancing fit between drawing sessions, but haven't been to actual training things in a while since drawing entirely took over my life. Should probably start going for runs again, now that the snow and ice have melted and you can actually run out there without killing yourself.

I don't have the problem here since I'm in the tropics. I've read that some people do run, and even ride bicycles without any problems even if it's snowing though.

And for some reason I imagine the character in your avatar twerking randomly for some reason.
19th Mar 2015, 11:30 AM #10
TAOMark
formerly another person
Registration date: 11th Aug 2013
I usually sign myself up to a mud run to get into shape. Signing up is a real push to get you motivated. There's these new zombie runs which of really get a kick out of doing.

I haven't exercised since I came travelling. So about 5 months now! I can feel it. I get puffed doing small things.
19th Mar 2015, 11:38 AM #11
DylanJBlakeley

Registration date: 21st Oct 2014
Ugh, so easy to get lazy, but you know what? When I go for a run outside or hop on a treadmill, I often get TERRIFIC story ideas. It's not only healthy for your body, but also the creative process!

This winter was brutal, though. We REALLY need to invest in a treadmill for the house...

HMCS GREAT ADVENTURE!
Twitter: @DylanJBlakeley
19th Mar 2015, 11:47 AM #12
toherrys

Registration date: 18th Dec 2014
Lazylonewolf:I don't have the problem here since I'm in the tropics. I've read that some people do run, and even ride bicycles without any problems even if it's snowing though.

You can yea! But up here in the Nordic countries the ice and snow come on so heavily you need some heavy duty accessories (tacks and such) to stay upright :D And some special thermal wear to not freeze off body parts (winter can go down to -20°C in the south). I have a friend who's a personal trainer and doesn't run during winter because it's just that suicidal xD;

Lazylonewolf:And for some reason I imagine the character in your avatar twerking randomly for some reason.

:'D Well I know what I'll be drawing today...
19th Mar 2015, 9:42 PM #13
Deathray Moonbase

Registration date: 9th Mar 2014
I found the trick to exercise is 1. to find a friend that's really into. I used to be pretty well in shape, but then grew lazy and sat for 12-36 hours in front of LOL...fortunately, my partner is an outdoor instructor/maniac that not only got me to walk up a mountain, but also taught me to fly. Literally. Paragliding isn't really much exercise in itself, but I can't top land yet or fly really well so usually end up bombing out somewhere soooooo not close to a road. Once had to walk 10km after only a 7km fly with a 30lb backpack in Australia summer...I was dead for days. Lols.

2. Find something you really enjoy. I find swimming to be boring unless you have someone to play with, but snorkeling in the other hand...you're constantly moving to chase fish and can stay in there for hours, have a lunch break, and then want to go right back in. I realize this isn't really an option for some people due to freezing cold weather and lack of an ocean, but just an idea. (:
19th Mar 2015, 9:55 PM #14
Epiale

Registration date: 29th Oct 2014
I was working out for a good solid while, mostly strength training, but kind of fell off the wagon when school started last semester. Even beyond the decreased strength I can see the negative effects not working out is having on me. (Less cheerful, get tired more easily, my headaches and other health issues get worse, etc.)

I need to work out more, but honestly don't have much time. I need to figure out a home work out program with body weight exercises, because it really does make you feel so much better it's insane. Thank you for the reminder. :D
19th Mar 2015, 11:04 PM #15
Deathray Moonbase

You could try chair exercises or that squeezing V exercise in one hand and draw in the other. Or exercise while watching tv. Or wearing leg weights everywhere. Or belly dancing moves that work out your abs when you're just sitting or standing around. Just don't wear tight shirts when doing it because it freaks people out. Hahaha.
19th Mar 2015, 11:12 PM #16
Bloomer

Registration date: 10th Oct 2011
Glad I don't have to worry about this, it's part of our job to stay fit at my work, and we have a free gym there and an hour of on duty exercise if we choose to work out during working hours.
It's so nice, hell yeah!
20th Mar 2015, 12:29 AM #17
Dodom
iiIIEEEHHEEEIIMM eeeeaaauuu hhYYYAaaaa
Registration date: 6th Sep 2009
I try to keep doing aikido... I'm admittedly not very good at it, poor body-awareness, so sometimes I'm reluctant to leave the house just to embarrass myself!

Mostly I walk a lot, but I managed to give myself plantar fasciitis last winter (well last summer, but I ignored the pain until it got really bad) and I'm afraid I'll have to cut back on it until it's fully healed, and I have no idea how long it'll take.
And despite of it I tried running a little, because my cardio is rather poor and I'd like to be able to participate in a cross-country race in May. (It has monkey bars and climbing walls and other fun obstacles - come on what adult wouldn't want the excuse to play all the playground games again??? I don't care if I come last I want to climb thinks!) I've improved a bit since I started, but I don't want to run too much on my crappy foot!

Also every (most) night I do a push-ups and weight routine, because my everyday activities only work my lower body.

Edit: What is your job Bloom?
20th Mar 2015, 1:03 AM #18
Bloomer

Registration date: 10th Oct 2011
Dodom:Edit: What is your job Bloom?

Can't tell you it's top secret!

20th Mar 2015, 6:01 AM #19
Deathray Moonbase

@bloom so a secret agency or something, right? ;)
20th Mar 2015, 7:11 AM #20
dpat57
Oh Yeah!
Registration date: 14th Oct 2010
Weather's been slowly improving these past weeks, I'll start going for walks again soon once the cold and wet goes away. Most days I hit the exercise bike for 40 thigh-pounding minutes. It's in front of a TV so I watch movies one-third at a time. I have stairs in the house, I walk up and down them 10 times in the morning and afternoon, just to get the blood moving, which leaves me kinda warm and breathless.