Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - A call to all D&D (Or D&D like) Roleplayers! Help me!?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > A call to all D&D (Or D&D like) Roleplayers! Help me!?
Pages: [1] [2]

8th Apr 2015, 7:28 PM #21
joeyballast
decked out
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
My advice as a GM who handles a LOT of new players and as someone who tries out a lot of new systems (DND 5th edition is REALLY forgiving, by the way, so you should have fun learning it) is to make your first character a simple one games-rules-wise.

For your first character, make a fighter. They're quick to make and easy to play. The only dice you'll have to keep track of will be a D20 and whatever damage dice your weapon does. You won't need to keep track of many special abilities, and you won't have to do any paperwork managing spell lists. This (if you're like everyone I've had learn DND) will also mean that you'll have a more enjoyable time learning the rules. Things will be simpler for you.

If you make a fighter (instead of a spellcaster) you'll be able to keep the game chugging along on your turn (I move, and I attack) instead of needing to slow things down by having to do research every turn (hold on, lemme check this spell... where is it... Oh, there it is, it says they make a wisdom saving throw... what's that based on again? Oh right, it's my ten plus my level plus... shit, is it wisdom or charisma...?).

Once you've gotten the hang of the system, you can make a new character and do whatever the hell you want. Your GM will probably be more than happy to let you make a new character that you'll find interesting after you've learned the basics.

Oh, and have fun with it!
8th Apr 2015, 8:27 PM #22
Faith

Registration date: 12th Aug 2013
Thanks for all this advice everyone, I have spoken to the GM a bit and gotten some pretty good guidelines of what sort of character to run and I've also read up on how exactly to create a character sheet thanks to you guys and your links, very helpful :D

Games next week so I still have some time to do some reading and if anyone else thinks of any other advice I am still very very open to it, I want to go in as prepared as possible.
8th Apr 2015, 8:51 PM #23
Eagle99

Registration date: 8th Mar 2015
I have one of the few copies of The Fantasy Role-Player's Bible that they didn't round up and mulch during the great game wars. I usually have any new players in my games read chapters 1-6, as it gives a good overview of gaming, etiquette, and GM/Player obligations to each other. The book was published a few short years before the end of the war, but the information hasn't really aged at all.

Eagle
(There are advantages to a large library)
10th Apr 2015, 5:39 AM #24
TheMentalist

Registration date: 11th Feb 2015
Faith:Thanks for all this advice everyone, I have spoken to the GM a bit and gotten some pretty good guidelines of what sort of character to run and I've also read up on how exactly to create a character sheet thanks to you guys and your links, very helpful :D

Games next week so I still have some time to do some reading and if anyone else thinks of any other advice I am still very very open to it, I want to go in as prepared as possible.

Well, no specific advice beyond this... BRING YOUR SNACKS AND DRINKS as somebody else noted prior to my first reply... but if you have specific questions please feel free to ask!
10th Apr 2015, 7:14 PM #25
biffboff

Registration date: 13th Jan 2012
I'm watching this video right now and this guy is pretty much talking to YOU!
It's probably worth the 14 minutes.
10th Apr 2015, 7:53 PM #26
Reaper Dragon
🐉
Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
I would advise looking over the D&D threads we have here in the games section. With the new players there were a lot of links to character sheets, rule books, spell lists etc as well as examples of how to fill out the character sheets by people posting there ones.

"I thought “Unicorn Butt Patrol” would get more traction in the comments on the prior page, but as per usual on the Internet, everyone wanted to talk about physics instead"
11th Apr 2015, 8:55 PM #27
Nicholas Ivan Ladendorf

Registration date: 9th Nov 2010
joeyballast:
Once you've gotten the hang of the system, you can make a new character and do whatever the hell you want. Your GM will probably be more than happy to let you make a new character that you'll find interesting after you've learned the basics.

Or multiclass once you get a hang of it if you want to keep playing the same character but also want nifty new abilities.
Forum > General discussion > A call to all D&D (Or D&D like) Roleplayers! Help me!?
Pages: [1] [2]