Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Digital Comics VS Webcomics

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Digital Comics VS Webcomics
Pages: [1] [2]

"Digital Comics VS Webcomics", 21st Jun 2015, 11:11 PM #1
CACKLE.N.COMICS

Registration date: 13th Apr 2014
A guy I know told me this the other day;

"this guy drawing this comic" (referring to a digital DC Comic) "shouldn't be drawing pro comics, his artwork is better suited for webcomics"

I looked at him like 'what exactly do you mean by that? I make a webcomic; Are you implying that webcomic art is worse than pro comic art?' but, I didn't entertain his idea any further and just ignored his close minded comment.

What do you guys think about this?
21st Jun 2015, 11:19 PM #2
Guybrush20X6

Registration date: 22nd Aug 2011
Webcomics by their nature have a lower barrier of entry (all you really need is a scanner and/or a doodle program and optionally, tough skin) and therefore the more gated media tend to look down on them. That said, a WEBcomic by it's very nature, is a webcomic. Ergo, the comic you mentioned is a webcomic.

You should've just said, "You fookin' wot mayte?"
21st Jun 2015, 11:20 PM #3
Eagle99

Registration date: 8th Mar 2015
CACKLE.N.COMICS:A guy I know told me this the other day;

"this guy drawing this comic" (referring to a digital DC Comic) "shouldn't be drawing pro comics, his artwork is better suited for webcomics"

I looked at him like 'what exactly do you mean by that? I make a webcomic; Are you implying that webcomic art is worse than pro comic art?' but, I didn't entertain his idea any further and just ignored his close minded comment.

What do you guys think about this?

Regardless of the simple fact that there are webcomics that are better drawn and make better profits for their creators than any pro comic does, there is a perception of webcomics as the bush leagues. Honestly a portion of that is due to the fact that so many webcomics are their creator's hobby, not a serious endeavour, but your friend was still bowing to a stereotype that is only partially accurate.

Eagle
(Sorry about that)
22nd Jun 2015, 8:58 AM #4
ilayas

Registration date: 27th Jun 2013
To be honest the majority of "web comics" are worst then the majority of professionally printed traditional comics. Both in terms of art work and writing. This is not because web comics are inherently bad but rather because, as someone already pointed out, there is a much lower barrier for entry. To be honest, the assessment that web comics are bush league is not an enterly inaccurate one. It isn't true of every web comic but it applies for most of them.

That's not to say that there aren't web comics out there that rival and sometimes even surpass thier printed counterparts but they are the exemption rather then the rule. I don't see anything wrong with that nor do I feel the need to get defensive about it. My comic, like many webcomics, is not professional quality. It might someday reach that level and that is a goal of mine but I'm not there yet.

But that's what makes web comics great. Anyone with the desire and the time can make something regardless of skill level. Just because something does not meet what ever you choose to define as professional standards doent mean it's not worth sharing and enjoying.
22nd Jun 2015, 9:05 AM #5
LittleLottie

Registration date: 10th Jun 2015
This is a lot like the "indie vs AAA" games debate, because anyone can publish a webcomic, the "average" webcomics artwork is very poor, and the higher quality comics take a long time to produce because, lets be honest here, its very hard to make a living off of webcomics so it's basically always a hobby rather than a job (unlike most digital comic artists)

tl;dr

Webcomics can be high quality, most aren't which leads to comments like this.
22nd Jun 2015, 2:26 PM #6
CACKLE.N.COMICS

All very good points.

I suppose what bothers me the most is this idea that the "pros" do it better... for instance; podcasting vs radio, signed bands vs unsigned bands & newspaper vs blogs (which probably is no longer a debate) ...

What makes art valuable? I would argue that webcomics are doing a lot more with the medium than pro comics are...more freedom allows more experimentation, more competition, ultimately more advancement in this art form.

I mean, there is a reason why a lot if us stop reading pro comics after a certain point...

It's in my humble opinion that when anything is about the money first, it always gets ruined no matter how good the intentions are. I mean, I understand that you have to pay for someone else's work in some way or another, but when the big two ONLY base their decisions on money or the next movie or toys, it's kind of despicable and tiring...
22nd Jun 2015, 2:29 PM #7
ilayas

CACKLE.N.COMICS:I mean, there is a reason why a lot if us stop reading pro comics after a certain point...

Speak for your self, I'm 31 years old and I haven't stopped reading comics. Hell now that I have money I actually buy more comics than I did when I was younger.

I also had ice cream for breakfast yesterday. Because I'm an adult and get get to decide what that means.
22nd Jun 2015, 2:55 PM #8
CACKLE.N.COMICS

Well, I appreciate your feedback but not your seemingly condescending tone. I may be mistaken tho. Like seriously what does ice cream have to do with anything that I said?

I didn't say stop reading comics, I said pro comics and maybe I should've pointed out that I mainly meant the big two.
22nd Jun 2015, 3:13 PM #9
Aurhiro

Registration date: 11th Dec 2014
CACKLE.N.COMICS:Well, I appreciate your feedback but not your seemingly condescending tone.

I didn't pick up a condescending tone personally, just a different opinion, one that I agree with actually.

The fact that they're called professional comics says it all right there. They're pros, drawing is literally their profession, most webcomic dudes are people who're just doing this as a hobby. Sure there's a few webcomics out there that are good enough to pass for professional, but there is a looot of others that don't.

That and I had ice cream replace a major meal earlier and it was awesome, you should totally try it.
22nd Jun 2015, 3:20 PM #10
CACKLE.N.COMICS

Ice cream has nothing to do with the discussion guys.

That's why it seemed condescending & sarcastic

Merged Doublepost:

Anyways just cause you can make your own decisions in life, doesn't mean your an adult or are making sound adult decisions. Some 40 yr olds are less mature than some 20yr olds... which gets us back on topic with what I was saying:

Just cause someone is paid to do it doesn't make it automatically better; just like if someone does your lawn our bakes you a cake. And vice versa.
22nd Jun 2015, 3:40 PM #11
InfectedBlood

Registration date: 14th Jun 2015
Hi Cackle, I think it's a tad exaggerated for you to say that a lot of people stop reading pro comics. I'm honestly not sure where you get that from: do you have any real evidence, or is it something you believe happens?

Personally, I never stopped reading pro comics either. I simply changed tastes, dropped some comics, picked up others, and mixed all of this with webcomics. Yes, as far as I can see, based on a 10-year-old experience reading webcomics, the vast majority of webcomics is really poor, but I also agree that it allows for more freedom and has vast potential, especially for serious freelancers and for pros who can't won't work within the regular industry.

As for the ice cream, I think it was a funny remark, but then again I tend to appreciate this type of comebacks :)
22nd Jun 2015, 3:44 PM #12
Mimi
formerly known as Prince
Registration date: 19th Jun 2014
CACKLE.N.COMICS:Just cause someone is paid to do it doesn't make it automatically better; just like if someone does your lawn our bakes you a cake. And vice versa.

Like with any job, you have to prove your skills first before you can get paid.

My current comic is my first attempt at making comics (but not the first in making art in general), and so of course it's going to have its flaws, especially with its writing. It's been said before in this thread that the entry level for making a webcomic is basically an internet connection and some drawing tools. I do like that because it means that hobbyists like me can make comics for simple exposure.

If I was getting paid to draw something, I would also put in more effort than normal, hence making it a bit better.

twitts | tumbls
"be one with the purple" -Seeen
22nd Jun 2015, 3:44 PM #13
Epiale

Registration date: 29th Oct 2014
Im just gonna throw it out there that Rob Liefeld is considered a professional and actually gets paid for his anatomical nightmares.

In all seriousness I think the argument that webcomics can be, and often are, spectacularly shitty is less than stellar when comparing them to pro comics, as most pro comics are also complete shit. In all my attempts at reading "proffesional" comics I've found maybe three I actually liked. Most were boring, badly drawn, confusing, sexist, gross, or some hellish combination. (The big super hero comics in particular are fucking awful most of the time just gd)

At least in webcomics people are willing to experiment more. You get a lot more interesting stories, diverse characters, and sometimes some really gorgeous or cool out there art. I've fallen in love with several webcomics. Can't even come close to saying the same for any "pro" comics I've read. U_U
22nd Jun 2015, 3:57 PM #14
Eagle99

Registration date: 8th Mar 2015
ilayas:Speak for your self, I'm 31 years old and I haven't stopped reading comics. Hell now that I have money I actually buy more comics than I did when I was younger.

I also had ice cream for breakfast yesterday. Because I'm an adult and get get to decide what that means.

Ice cream....I miss Blue Bell... Whups...where was I?

I agree. I get pissed off at what the big 2 do with my favourite characters, but I still keep reading.
And more importantly, I still keep learning, as the big 2, do have a lot of innovative stuff happening in their pages.
And I have a reading list of about 60 webcomics (that fluctuates highly) where I am evaluating what they are doing. And I see a lot of promise in a lot of titles, but yeah, the quality levels are very uneven, and that gives webcomics a bit of a poor reputation. That's just part of the level playing field we have here.

Eagle
(Glad to be on the field)
22nd Jun 2015, 4:03 PM #15
pastutopia

Registration date: 25th May 2015
It's pretty hard to generalize on webcomics - you have everything from manga, graphic novels, western style comics, and gag-comics under that banner. Quite frankly the label "webcomic" is sort of generic to the extreme; some of them are professional western style comics that have simply been posted online.

Personally I think it's pretty strange to use "webcomic" as an insult; webcomic is just a medium, and "Digital Comics" are just a type of webcomic. "I can't believe this guy is drawing for DC" or "This guy shouldn't be a professional" would both be make a little more sense.

Just point them at some of the webcomics that have professional artists to illustrate that that's not quite the right way to categorize them.
22nd Jun 2015, 4:49 PM #16
BluRaven C. Houvener

Registration date: 11th Jun 2014
I was head of Webcomics programming at a local con this year, and on all my panels that was a general thought process I tried to snuff out...that Webcomics are low class or grade merely because they are available online for all to see. Webcomics(wasn't aware of a difference between Webcomics and Digiatal comics until seeing this post) I stressed are the way of the future and the future is now, as the Big companies all have an online presence as far as apps and viewable content. The art aspect of it is purely a matter of prefrence, I've seen amny mainstream comics and cartoons that I feel are fare surpassed by their web counter parts. It would honestly be a never ending debate haha
22nd Jun 2015, 4:51 PM #17
jas

Registration date: 16th Dec 2011
I stopped buying "professional comics" in 1994. Why? Really bad writing and mediocre, inconsistent art. I still occasionally stop in at the local comic shop and peruse a few but it's still very bad, in my opinion. Too much of the writing is sloppy, disrespectful to the characters and don't get me started on the infinite reboot of titles, characters and universes. It's lazy.

Yes, people still buy a lot of comics from Marvel and DC. But I'm convinced that's because people have been exposed to such poor comic writing standards for more than a generation and the readers might not even like a GOOD story anymore. For example, the original "Days Of Future Past" (from Uncanny X-Men #141 - 142), the original Wolverine limited series by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller, Walt Simonson's initial run on Thor (#337 through 355), The New Teen Titans written by Marv Wolfman and drawn by George Perez (1980), the original Crisis On Infinite Earths (not perfect but amazing nonetheless) and, on the lower end but still a good story, The Death of Superman/Reign Of The Supermen (1992/1993).

That's not to say there haven't been any good stories or art in the last 20 years. I'm sure there have been. But consistently, writing quality has dipped in favor of a gazillion titles or very bad crossover events or reboots/spin-off universes. I would argue that there has not been the quality that consistently existed between the 1970s and early 1990s. Were there some clunkers during that time period (Powerless Kung-Fu Wonder Woman, anyone)? Absolutely. But there was generally more respect for the characters and the comic universe as a whole. I just don't see that anymore.

I see "pro" writers wanting to leave their mark on a character or series, even though the next writer will just ignore what the previous one did, using a retcon or reboot if needed...because they can. Dark and gritty has become the norm, losing what it was that made dark and gritty useful as a writing backdrop. Does this mean light and fluffy is the new "it" thing? Hmmmm.

Enough about "pro comics." While I will agree that a majority of webcomics are very low/just starting out quality, even some of the most amateur webcomics have more sincerity and heart than a lot of the pros, some of whom clearly don't care anymore. Granted, only a small percentage make money at webcomics. But there is more originality, creatity and opportunity in webcomics because it is such a wide open field. That's what makes it interesting and invigorating to me.

Just my two cents...
22nd Jun 2015, 9:13 PM #18
ilayas

I'm going to be blunt and say that if you think there is an extreme lack professionally produced comics out there that are of high quality and appeal to you then you aren't looking very hard. Maybe you don't want to look and that's fine, the choice is yours. I will not fault any one who doesn't want to spend money on comics but I will fault someone who claims there's nothing good out there without really looking. There is more diversity and quality in professional comics now then there ever has been before.

The ice cream comment was meant to be more irreverent then condescending. I do however find your assertion that "most of us" stopped reading professional comics at some point to be a baseless assumption. Maybe you did but I never stopped reading professionally produced comics. When the main stream Super hero comics stopped appealing to me I started looking other places and I found, all sorts of really fantastic weird comics.
22nd Jun 2015, 9:25 PM #19
CACKLE.N.COMICS

See guys jas hit it right on the nose guys. The big two seemingly have only cared about selling in the past few decades. Sure there have been a few gems but to me at least, it seems more bad than good and not really worth investing my money in...

I mean, yeah they all can't be "Hush" "The Long Halloween" "Sandman" etc etc BUT in a world full of free comics why would anyone pay for a sub par story?

But anyways; professional in the sense of getting paid for a service .... if you pay for a webcomic, then that makes it a professional comic right?
22nd Jun 2015, 9:25 PM #20
jas

Registration date: 16th Dec 2011
ilayas:I'm going to be blunt and say that if you think there is an extreme lack professionally produced comics out there that are of high quality and appeal to you then you aren't looking very hard. Maybe you don't want to look and that's fine, the choice is yours. I will not fault any one who doesn't want to spend money on comics but I will fault someone who claims there's nothing good out there without really looking. There is more diversity and quality in professional comics now then there ever has been before.

I think this is the point where it's perfectly fine to agree to disagree.

I do keep apprised of a lot of titles in Marvel, DC, Image and indie comics. What one considers "good" or "professional" is purely a matter of personal tastes and opinion. And we can disagree about what that is.