Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - New forum rules

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > News & Announcements > New forum rules
Pages: [1] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13]

16th May 2016, 3:47 PM #181
Seeen♀

Referrals: 0
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
I like Xeno's idea a lot, actually. I also do support the idea of mod warnings seeming more gentle for smaller offenses. I think Xeno's idea could be meshed with the idea for colored moderator edits.

So, here would be a potential excerpt from an edited post:

<<removed some harsh wording>>

That would appear in the dark green, or the blue, or what-have-you, and would go in the usual place—below the message, and above the signature. (I actually do like the idea of mod edits like that not being in the message itself—it feels less like explicit calling out if there's not a specific part of the message that has been replaced with the mod warning.)

If a mod wants to "get more serious", they can just make a post with regards to the offense, should it be necessary.
16th May 2016, 3:48 PM #182
Miaubol♀
Cat Queen
Registration date: 7th Sep 2014
Xenocartographer:For the record, both of those wordings sound extremely sarcastic to me. I think it's really hard to describe a moderator warning in neutral language...

Oops, I see the problem. And it somehow loops back to the original problem too - what sounds totally fine to some ears are highly sarcastic and offensive to others. But while my suggestions may suck, I trust the mods will find a good solution here, how to best word such warnings or interventions :)
16th May 2016, 3:50 PM #183
Xenocartographer♂
formerly Biophysicist
Registration date: 13th Oct 2010
Seeen:(I actually do like the idea of mod edits like that not being in the message itself—it feels less like explicit calling out if there's not a specific part of the message that has been replaced with the mod warning.)

Ah, I was trying to figure out how to word that. Thanks, Seeen.
16th May 2016, 3:51 PM #184
Kyo♂
family life
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
yes, we generally want to get away from editing peoples posts, because no one liked that. We still do it sometimes, but it used to be our main modding tool. I feel like those colored warnings might almost completely displace what we used to use it for (save for unspoilered NSFW images and similar things)

In regards to wording (that was what my previous post was about but maybe that wasn't super clear) - we are actually very careful with how we word things, but like i said, you can only be so nice about "please stop doing that thing" while still communicating that people need to stop doing that thing. we do our best, but it's hard and some people are always going to hate it
16th May 2016, 3:51 PM #185
Xenocartographer♂
formerly Biophysicist
Redacted - Kyo addressed this already.
16th May 2016, 3:52 PM #186
Kyo♂
family life
already explained in my ninja post above
16th May 2016, 3:56 PM #187
Xenocartographer♂
formerly Biophysicist
ARG! I'm going to go submit a feature request to make this happen less.

On a technical note, how would mod-redacting part of a post work, especially re:colors? You'd need a way of indicating "this is a mod comment", and if you want to prevent biffing, you'd need some way to stop a normal user from turning that on. Blocking non-mods from making posts with that mark would interfere with post edits... you'd need some kind of out-of-band signal, I think. (This is another reason I like the edit log.)

Miaubol:Oops, I see the problem. And it somehow loops back to the original problem too - what sounds totally fine to some ears are highly sarcastic and offensive to others. But while my suggestions may suck, I trust the mods will find a good solution here, how to best word such warnings or interventions :)

Yeah, I was using your post as an example of the thing you were pointing out. I'm agreeing, in other words. :)
16th May 2016, 3:57 PM #188
Seeen♀

Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
you'd need some kind of out-of-band signal, I think.

Kyo mentioned that it would have its own section between the post and the signature.
16th May 2016, 3:58 PM #189
Kyo♂
family life
well generally we wouldn't redact the posts, just tack a note onto the end saying the user had been reprimanded. if it's something that has to be removed (e.g. links to pirated movies or whatever), we'd edit it out and then add the mod note that says "edited out some links to piracy. please do not post pirated content on the forums."

Like I said, it would appear between the post and your sig, in blue with probably some sort of thing that distinguishes it a little bit from the actual post.
16th May 2016, 4:29 PM #190
Xenocartographer♂
formerly Biophysicist
Oh, I see, I'd thought you would put it inline with the rest of the post. In that case, we arrived at similar solutions with different words. Cool!

(I still prefer my phrasing for sounding neutral-er, but I can see the value in making it more attention-grabbing.)
16th May 2016, 5:26 PM #191
Miaubol♀
Cat Queen
Registration date: 7th Sep 2014
Kyo:well generally we wouldn't redact the posts, just tack a note onto the end saying the user had been reprimanded. if it's something that has to be removed (e.g. links to pirated movies or whatever), we'd edit it out and then add the mod note that says "edited out some links to piracy. please do not post pirated content on the forums."

Like I said, it would appear between the post and your sig, in blue with probably some sort of thing that distinguishes it a little bit from the actual post.

I vote for this :D

I agree a separate and distinguishable but still in-post mod note is the best way to go, as it's in-context as well as not so distracting. I also agree it's best to not edit the post (except for removing not-allowed links), I can see why people would hate that. And, by keeping the post as it is, the context and the reason for the mod note remains visible.
16th May 2016, 5:36 PM #192
Xenocartographer♂
formerly Biophysicist
derp redacted
16th May 2016, 5:39 PM #193
Seeen♀

If color might be a problem, design-wise, I could also see a smaller font size working. It sets it apart, as users cannot change font size, and also gives it more of an "off to the side" look, which helps to make it seem more like just a gentle reminder.
16th May 2016, 5:40 PM #194
Kyo♂
family life
I'm sure we'll figure out something design-wise.
16th May 2016, 5:45 PM #195
Xenocartographer♂
formerly Biophysicist
16th May 2016, 5:50 PM #196
Seeen♀

I'unno, that seems like a bit of an awkward place to me, especially because that section is pretty much exclusively links, other than the like-dislike counter.
16th May 2016, 5:58 PM #197
killersteak♂
Honey coated lies and slander
Referrals: 1
Registration date: 25th Apr 2011
Yes, too far down. Someone has already read the main post and angrily hit reply to quickly get their rebuttal in without glancing at the important off-screen italics.

For some reason I'm picturing a creamy yellow coloured box with one of these idling just at the bottom edge of the posts content. Though maybe somewhere a normal user still couldn't spoof it.
16th May 2016, 6:07 PM #198
Nama
J
Registration date: 15th Nov 2012
On the thought of rereports for something already dealt with, when reporting maybe one of those red boxes saying "this has already been dealt with" or whatever above the text field.

Though it might be a bit repetitive with the note
16th May 2016, 6:08 PM #199
Seeen♀

I feel like if we have a note, we don't need something to block reports, especially because a user might report for a different reason. Like, a mod not have known that something was connected to something else and that the person in question did something that only really means anything to parties involved but is still mean-spirited. Kinda specific, but it's still something that should be able to be addressed cleanly and efficiently.
16th May 2016, 6:15 PM #200
Nama
J
Registration date: 15th Nov 2012
I didn't mean blocking the report. Just a note above the text field on the report. Maybe listing reasons why.
Forum > News & Announcements > New forum rules
Pages: [1] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13]