Registration date: 3rd Mar 2011
what are any of us but cogs in kyo's great machine
19th May 2016, 3:06 AM #242
edi-san♂
user title
Referrals: 0
Registration date: 17th May 2010
MatthewJA:first, we already do this

second, you'd be surprised: we get a lot of reports that are just heads-ups (and they're always appreciated)

I believe it, on both counts.

This community was and is one of the best online communities I've ever seen.

I was working at this:

Before we can have more mods, we need better mod tools.

which I didn't know was a problem, but since I figured the mods and admins are already being reasonable people (for the vast, vast majority of times [everyone's human]), the issue seems to be more like "What can help mods succeed" rather than "how do we make sure the mods aren't mean"

My tool seems to have already been thought of, so there you go.

Good job.
common japanese honorific, title of respect similar to "Mr.", "Miss", "Mrs.", or "Ms."
19th May 2016, 9:30 AM #243
Miaubol♀
Cat Queen
Registration date: 7th Sep 2014
@edi-san:
Maybe you've read them already by now, but anyways - There's a very good discussion about this on pages 8-10, about making such visible warnings friendly reminders instead of so-called public executions, and how to put these reminders without derailing the thread. I really like Kyo's idea, have them at the bottom of the posts themselves instead of making the extra red-banner mod-intervention post.

The point with visibility is not to shame users, but to avoid confusion, make it understandable for everyone what is acceptable behavior and what is not :)
24th May 2016, 3:27 PM #244
Nama
J
Registration date: 15th Nov 2012
Would a rule about explaining a game's mechanics be a good idea? I see games without any explanation often drop off.
24th May 2016, 3:27 PM #245
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
Referrals: 19
Registration date: 26th Sep 2010
Examples?
24th May 2016, 5:24 PM #246
Nama
J
One
Two

There were some other ones but I can't find them atm.
24th May 2016, 6:26 PM #247
Xenocartographer♂
formerly Biophysicist
Registration date: 13th Oct 2010
Hey, couple of things on my mind still:

5. Don't make pointless posts or threads. This includes posts that only contain "I agree" or similar or only contain quotes, and threads with no clear discussion topic.

Could this maybe be clarified to take a stance on posts that agree with a particular other post where consensus is relevant to the topic at hand? If someone asks for, say, layout critique, there's a big difference between one person saying something, and one person saying something and three other people agreeing, which a sufficiently literal reading of this rule would prohibit. (Arguably, it could even prohibit joining a bandwagon in Mafia.)

A rule about backseat moderation might be nice - I just had to redact a post because I wasn't sure if it was too "mod-y". Some communities are fine with this, others aren't.

I didn't actually realize this until just now because this thread does, but the rules don't have a mention that subforums can have alternate/additional rules, which might be good.
25th May 2016, 1:24 AM #248
thatguy1280
fuck team gecko
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2011
Xenocartographer:I didn't actually realize this until just now because this thread does, but the rules don't have a mention that subforums can have alternate/additional rules, which might be good.

i think part of this is that the forums are a lil' hard to navigate. i'm not a designer so unfortunately i can't really offer suggestions on how to improve them, but i know it's pretty easy to use the forums here without ever noticing that things like the forum search or rules threads exist

could be worth linking to the sub-specific rules in the main forum rules post though

Could this maybe be clarified to take a stance on posts that agree with a particular other post where consensus is relevant to the topic at hand?

i agree
25th May 2016, 2:51 PM #249
Xenocartographer♂
formerly Biophysicist
could be worth linking to the sub-specific rules in the main forum rules post though

To clarify, that was my suggestion.
28th May 2016, 8:31 PM #250
Seeen♀

Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
Nama:Would a rule about explaining a game's mechanics be a good idea? I see games without any explanation often drop off.

okay i'm gonna have to formally agree with this now i am seeing more and more games appear without any listed rules, and now even a few that are using having no listed rules as their gimmick, either under the heading of, "anything goes, hooray!" or, "the rules are secret, you will learn them when the game starts."

basically a +1, and i also feel like this is a situation where the "sometimes agreement posts are relevant" thing xeno said is valid
28th May 2016, 8:43 PM #251
SkepticalDemon♂

Registration date: 8th May 2016
Thank you! :)
29th May 2016, 2:45 PM #252
Xenocartographer♂
formerly Biophysicist
Seeen:okay i'm gonna have to formally agree with this now i am seeing more and more games appear without any listed rules, and now even a few that are using having no listed rules as their gimmick, either under the heading of, "anything goes, hooray!" or, "the rules are secret, you will learn them when the game starts."

basically a +1, and i also feel like this is a situation where the "sometimes agreement posts are relevant" thing xeno said is valid

I think a sticky is a better resolution. If "no rules" games saturate the subforum, a temporary "guys ease off on this" would draw attention to it better. Further, a universal ban on it seems heavy-handed - they're fun in moderation (remember Forum Game?), just not when they dominate the subforum.

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't like the idea of rules-banning a particular kind of game because it's oversaturated right now.

EDIT2: Y'know, this thread has made CF's moderation seem so much more transparent and approachable, which is hella appreciated.
29th May 2016, 2:52 PM #253
Nama
J
no its more like "i'll explain when it starts" kind of thing thats the problem, not games with open rules

thats what i meant at first anyway but seeen brings up a good point about norules hooray and yeah having a reminder to lay off on ruleless games could probably work
1st Jul 2016, 3:54 PM #254
Xenocartographer♂
formerly Biophysicist
A procedure for reporting problems in comic avatars, forum sigs, etc wouldn't go amiss. Even if it's just "PM Kyo" it'd be nice to have it listed.