Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - The tricky problem of forum drama - a legalist approach

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > ComicFury Problems, critique and suggestions > The tricky problem of forum drama - a legalist approach
Pages: [1] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17]

9th Jan 2017, 12:43 PM #321
Xenocartographer
has a sweet tooth
Registration date: 13th Oct 2010
My biggest concern with a poll is that, at a glance, a lot of changes are being proposed without an immediately obvious benefit. Look at the early pages of this thread, for example: it took us several pages to even come up with a problem statement, and pretty much everyone who contributed is an enfranchised forumite. If, therefore, the poll is constructed as a binary "yes, do that"/"no, don't do that", there will be a bias towards the negative option as status quo, not because people don't like the change proposed but because they're simply not involved enough with the forum to be aware of the issues yet. I'd like to see a somewhat more in-depth spectrum of answers, including an "eh, don't care".
9th Jan 2017, 12:55 PM #322
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Xeno:there will be a bias towards the negative option as status quo, not because people don't like the change proposed but because they're simply not involved enough with the forum to be aware of the issues yet.

Eh, "lack of involvement" will be translated into "lack of voting". I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a massive get-your-hands-off-my-forum contingent here.

That said, I agree:

I'd like to see a somewhat more in-depth spectrum of answers, including an "eh, don't care".

I am strongly in favor of anything that increases user say-so with the management, even if it is to communicate ambivalence.
10th Jan 2017, 8:55 AM #323
Kyo
no longer a family man
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
Xenocartographer:My biggest concern with a poll is that, at a glance, a lot of changes are being proposed without an immediately obvious benefit. Look at the early pages of this thread, for example: it took us several pages to even come up with a problem statement, and pretty much everyone who contributed is an enfranchised forumite. If, therefore, the poll is constructed as a binary "yes, do that"/"no, don't do that", there will be a bias towards the negative option as status quo, not because people don't like the change proposed but because they're simply not involved enough with the forum to be aware of the issues yet. I'd like to see a somewhat more in-depth spectrum of answers, including an "eh, don't care".

i was actually thinking the same thing to prevent people who feel obligated to vote but don't really care from screwing with the results.

and the votes would be used as the final say. It's mostly stuff where I don't see the point of vetoing it. If I felt that strongly I wouldn't put it up to vote to begin with unless someone had a compelling counterargument
11th Jan 2017, 8:49 AM #324
Kyo
no longer a family man
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
first discussion thread is up,

looky here

obviously there was quite a bit of discussion on this in here already, but I thought it was a good point to also pitch to the community at large, especially because I'm still not really sure what the best approach is

if you already talked about it in here, don't feel guilty if you repeat yourself in there, it's mostly it's own thread to make sure everyone has a look. If you don't feel like repeating yourself that is obviously also fine, I'm aware of the stuff in here so it won't fall by the wayside