Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Does anyone else "hide" their comic from peers?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Does anyone else "hide" their comic from peers?
Pages: [1] [2]

31st Mar 2017, 11:34 PM #21
haaaayes

Registration date: 12th Jan 2017
I love showing my comic to people. I'm terrible at expressing myself in conversation - most of the time I feel boring or unfunny or a weirdo - but through my comic I feel I can express my real self. Through my art I feel confident, creative and funny, and I have thoughtful control over my output and the way other people see me. It feels really liberating most of the time.
31st Mar 2017, 11:42 PM #22
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
I show it to strangers. Not my inner circles or else I will be cast out.
1st Apr 2017, 8:07 PM #23
AugustaCaesar

Registration date: 21st Sep 2016
I send my comic out to my entire family and closest friends, and only ONE reads anything. So, f**k them all. :)

Thank God I have my best friend's unending support!
1st Apr 2017, 8:12 PM #24
monoushi

Registration date: 27th Dec 2015
Kinda do, kinda don't. It's weird, because some people get pretty sensitive with blood and nudity and if I know they won't like it because of that I won't tell them, and of course they have every reason to! But it's also a case of how they perceive me to be if I'm comfortable drawing things like that, but you know...writing it doesn't give the same impact as drawings do.
1st Apr 2017, 8:25 PM #25
BUMBLEBEE

Registration date: 18th Sep 2016
I'm very selective about who I share this with. Just in general I keep things compartmentalized.
1st Apr 2017, 10:34 PM #26
ZeroGee
Never Scared
Registration date: 15th Mar 2010
I don't talk about my stuff to those who are not into it.
If any one I meet is, then that's a different story.
"Not really....", 1st Apr 2017, 10:46 PM #27
JM Matthews

Registration date: 27th Dec 2014
I'm pretty open about my work. Everyone I'm close to except maybe my dad is openly complimentary to me. Back when I was 17 and attending the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale, I'd always draw sketches of gothic stuff on the table of the main building cafeteria. When people walking behind me saw what I was drawing, I got all comments that seemed more positive and in awe than the vast majority of comments I've ever gotten online. They were complete strangers, too. It can be hard to be an artist professionally if you're shy about your work.

JM's Blog
2nd Apr 2017, 8:09 PM #28
Pavchka
Affection Bus
Registration date: 6th Aug 2013
My family thinks it's a waste of time (because it doesn't make you money), so I don't show them my drawings. I don't show my art to a lot of people anyway because its quality is amateurish and more "shojou" than is considered appropriate for someone of my age.
2nd Apr 2017, 9:08 PM #29
systemcat

Registration date: 22nd Apr 2012
Lt. Locust:A weird question. I mean, if you're posting something online, presumably it's because you want others to see it.

But for me? I don't want my peers to see it. My friends, most of my family members.... I don't wany ANY of my coworkers to see it. They've seen me colouring pages, when I forget to tilt the computer screen away.

I don't care if strangers see it. I have no problems posting on the internet.

But I find myself weirdly vulnerable-feeling if my coworkers lean over to see, or ask any questions.

Is that weird? Does anyone else feel that way?

Back when I was a novice, before the internet went into spotlight daily use & social gathering. I showed my comics ( not available online ) to my teachers, friends & family. I found their feedback useful. I say don't hide your work.
2nd Apr 2017, 9:59 PM #30
SharpyTheYellowKirby
got away with it
Registration date: 27th May 2014
I show very little of my comic to my friends, and none of it at all to my family.

Some of those early pages aren't exactly what a 15 year old should be drawing in his spare time......
2nd Apr 2017, 10:14 PM #31
loyaldog
on complicated terms with man
Registration date: 14th Feb 2017
I don't usually bring it up in conversation. If someone sees me drawing and asks questions, I'm happy to answer them, but I don't know how to talk about it naturally. Anything I say seems almost... show-offy.
2nd Apr 2017, 10:40 PM #32
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
This subject is a perennial one around here, so I have sort of a standard answer which is DAT I BE PIMPIN' DAT SHIZNITE FROM DUSK 'TIL DAWN THEN BACK AROUND AN' 'ROUND, SON!!!!!*

I am trying to become a career artist. I am trying to grow my brand as a producer of art, and also trying to grow my intellectual property's brand. Hiding out will not help with either goal, and Caley Tibbittz Collopy's GOTTA GET PAID, YO!!!!!**

(* & ** = too much caffeine)

...I did send a link to the first issue to all my friends from dance class, back in 2012. Out of 7 people, I think only 3 read it. And of those 3, only one gave me any kind of interested, encouraging feedback -- the real-life model for Cheri, who is a semi-voracious reader (she's read all the Harry Potter books and one of those unofficial Philosophy of Harry Potter things that such juggernauts attract the creation of, hence her character's Harry Potter reference in my comic).

I used to go out of my way to show my comic to my mom, but it's like she thinks she's still home educating me: she will always, ALWAYS find at LEAST one flaw to point out on any page. Incidental constructive criticism is one thing, but it doesn't help me as a MISSION. I've stopped trying to show her new pages at this point.

Merged Doublepost:

Steven-Vincent:I hide it. I don't use my real full name as a result, just to avoid being found out in web searches or what have you.

Why?

I work at a college and I am 100% certain that the upper administration (deans, etc.) would not consider doing a superhero comic to be something a college professor should 'waste his time' doing. They would take a dim view. So I provide them with no way to find it.

I still find this tack to be defeatist to the communal goal of comics' acceptance as real literature. I understand why you think it's important, but it's hard to imagine it actually harming your life or career. I'd love to see you brighten their dim view by handing out copies of pretty much any Will Eisner graphic novel, along with a list of its accolades. You could bring them out of the Dark Ages, as it were.

Merged Doublepost:

Pip:Yes I'm very secretive about it. Who told you I have a comic?

YOUR MOM!

Merged Doublepost:

Agent Cheshire:...ith family, coworkers, and occasionally non-artist friends... they pick apart things in my works that they have no problems just accepting in other more established media and it really drives me up the wall so I just never share it cause I don't want to play 20 questions about things that are honestly really basic in storytelling.

I can't tell if they're curious to see the storytelling process up close, or trying to destroy you out of jealousy because you are creating something and they are not.
Forum > General discussion > Does anyone else "hide" their comic from peers?
Pages: [1] [2]