Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - how to chnage a art style to a simpler one?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > how to chnage a art style to a simpler one?
Pages: [1]

"how to chnage a art style to a simpler one?", 21st Apr 2017, 2:23 PM #1
ewolf20

Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
hey, how can i make something like this:

more simple for animation.
21st Apr 2017, 2:45 PM #2
ebarie

Registration date: 18th Jul 2014
Practice.
21st Apr 2017, 3:56 PM #3
Lassek

Registration date: 12th Jul 2012
You need to conceptualize the character's essential, distinguishing features, and focus on those features. Drop features that you don't need to define the character (eg. belt straps). Merge minor features to other features, eg. clothes' edges to the body's contour.

With your example, you could easily reduce lines in the hair, the belt, the muscle shape and the clothes shape, to start with.

If you're not too hung up on the style, you might even compress overall proportions.
21st Apr 2017, 4:25 PM #4
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
This already looks like animation. I don't think Disney's Gargoyles or Batman: The Animated Series were much less complicated than this.
21st Apr 2017, 5:00 PM #5
biffboff

Registration date: 13th Jan 2012
Hire a Korean animation company. Try Spambot Co. They work fast and efficiently.

Reduce the lines to the essentials, of course. But then create a number of 'key' frame images - these will be drawings that you can reuse again and again. Draw head, arms and torso separately so that you can mix and match. Draw the mouth separately - you can get away with as little as 5 or 6 mouth shapes for all syllables.
Look into 'bone animation'.
The trick to animation is not redrawing; it's re-using creatively.
21st Apr 2017, 6:24 PM #6
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
Tibbittz:This already looks like animation. I don't think Disney's Gargoyles or Batman: The Animated Series were much less complicated than this.

Yep, it looks fine to me too. I'd simply clean up the line art and keep the colours flat (with an element of cell shading) to make it easier to animate.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
21st Apr 2017, 6:50 PM #7
Deo

Registration date: 30th Sep 2011
I think the only part you could reduce at this moment are the belt and the belt loops. the pant's belt loops look nice in a still frame, but when you try to animate them, the animator (or you) will curse you for the rest of their days. Usually most cartoons dont give their characters belts, or if they do its only the belt paced on top of the pants.

Other than that i think the model is simple enought

21st Apr 2017, 9:36 PM #8
MST3KFan

Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
Pretty much what everyone has already said. To simplify a design is reduce the details/amount of work you have to do...

Looks like your design already meets that quite well.

21st Apr 2017, 9:53 PM #9
RageTheDragoon

Registration date: 2nd May 2016
ewolf20:hey, how can i make something like this:

more simple for animation.

In regards to simplifications like everyone has already mentioned. You could take a look at shows from the DCAU (the timverse).
they perfected this really well while still retaining the essentials of their characters.
21st Apr 2017, 10:38 PM #10
dougwarner59

Registration date: 13th Jan 2012
I assume this is going to be cell animation; You could simplify the process for some of the animation shots by using bone animation; which is basically making individual body parts that you can attach a bone to; this will allow you to manipulate the character by moving the bone associated with the body part;
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > how to chnage a art style to a simpler one?
Pages: [1]