Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - How do you title your works?/title discussion

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How do you title your works?/title discussion
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"How do you title your works?/title discussion", 5 days ago, 12:19 AM #1
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Referrals: 0
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
I've always found titles to be the hardest part of any project, and nothing's changed now that there's a new project sorta in the works. So, I'm looking for advice and opinions. How do you come up with a good title, and what do you do when nothing seems to fit?

I've always been slow with titles, which can be pretty frustrating. It was months before Beyond got one, and even that was supposed to be a working title... which I got attached to XD I won't complain about that, it works.
5 days ago, 12:22 AM #2
SunnySideUpSmile
s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g j-a-p-a-n-e-s-e
Registration date: 8th Nov 2016
Ah, I always think of the title first, which is a bad idea for me because then, as I continue my story, I realize it doesn't work as well but I never change it because I'm too lazy.
5 days ago, 12:31 AM #3
DaniBoy

Registration date: 25th Mar 2017
Oh my god, me too! I hate titling my stuff, it's so difficult!
Normally I just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks after fleshing out the story. Which is why I come up with long, awful titles. If I can't think of anything I sleep on it.

I've actually been thinking about changing my current one a little, getting rid of the "void" part cuz it sounds soo... edgelord.
5 days ago, 12:37 AM #4
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014
Super Galaxy Knights Deluxe R was originally called Super Star Warriors Deluxe R, back when I was doing the short film. The short film was titled that because it was meant to be a satire of anime, with comedically long and/or poorly translated titles. The joke being that only one of the words in the title (star) tells you anything regarding what the show could possibly be about- the rest are really only descriptors. "Star" was used because in the short film, powers were based off of constellations.

After I released the short film, I thought about the events the characters mentioned as happening in the past, and thought it would be interesting to extend them into a full story. So I did. I changed the powers away from being constellation based, and "Star Warriors" became the name of a crime-fighting organization instead. But because "Star Warriors" was already a thing, I changed it to "Galaxy Knights", which basically means the same thing.

And... that's how I named it.
5 days ago, 12:40 AM #5
TheMario360

Registration date: 19th Dec 2013
I just went the classic convention of putting the names of the main characters as the title.
5 days ago, 12:44 AM #6
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
I feel like I got really lucky with the name Bruno Harm. I liked it so much It was naturally going to be the title of the comic.

I just wrote a whole lot of names on a piece of paper and mixed them around until something stuck.

I Title each "episode" in the comic which is more fun because it seems less important, and if I don't think of something super clever, there's always next time.
5 days ago, 12:47 AM #7
Nyomi
Drum bum
Registration date: 15th Jun 2016
Titles make me want to cry. I hate coming up with titles.

Estellia was a rare "WHOA THAT SOUNDS COOL" so I altered the story enough to keep it in once i switched plots. I came up with that by adding letters to Estella, or whatever the Garnet actor's name is. Creative I know.

*stay tuned for more info regarding the characters you all love
5 days ago, 12:48 AM #8
Steven-Vincent

Registration date: 28th Apr 2015
Mine was trivial. It's a superhero comic. You name the comic series after the superhero (usually), i.e. Batman, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Thor. So I just named it after the title character -- Liberty Lass
5 days ago, 12:51 AM #9
khkddn
dsg54 hfköäü %$& ♣♦♦❄
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
I usually make up a word that looks cool, and make that the name of an important character in the story. I've done that for three comics at this point (Emories, Helsirvente, Emnesiac). It isn't good at conveying what the story is about but it looks cool so who cares
5 days ago, 12:58 AM #10
TNTiger

Registration date: 1st Nov 2015
I knew my comic was going to be about a grim reaper so I looked at the "grim" Wikipedia page. Then I found "Grim trigger" and instantly knew I had to name it that hahaha!! It just sounded so cool and marketable, honestly x'D

Names are one of my favorite things to come up with!
5 days ago, 1:00 AM #11
Respheal
⚡ Bzz ⚡
Registration date: 4th Jun 2016
You mention getting attached to working titles--more often than not, that's it xD

Funny enough, one of my criteria for making a title is being able to make an effective logo for it. Back in the day, when I was a lot more creative, I got a kick out of making logos for projects. For that purpose, my titles tend to be short: One or two words, maybe a short subtitle.

Examples from some old/current stuff:
5 days ago, 1:03 AM #12
WanderingJew
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
I had trouble for the longest time coming up with mine, and as of right now, it makes no sense but will eventually make sense as the story progresses.

But mine's also a reference to the Divine Comedy, and also a joke, since my comic isn't a comedy, but more a tragedy. I like cruel irony. ;^T

Edit: I should add my title to avoid confusion, "Comedy of the Carrion Angels".
5 days ago, 1:05 AM #13
harajuku_Smittle_
Greasy grubby grimy thug
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2016
I had like a title holder for months.(art block) long enough for the title to be completely irrelevant. so decided, what in Tarantino should this title be??
so hierain highs, sure. It's a weird name, but It's not super abstract or anything, it's "heroin highs" misspelled. like badly misspelled. why am i like this

i got a lotta eyes

5 days ago, 1:09 AM #14
BUMBLEBEE

Registration date: 18th Sep 2016
Drive On was a flash of inspiration because in the army they say "suck it up and drive on," when things get bad, and since it's about tanks it just fit perfectly. I still love it. But Be Different was just a whim, because I didn't know what the story was going to be about when I first started. It was just a cute little picture that my niece drew. Now that I know what the story is going to be I'm trying to come up with a new title, but I got nothing...
5 days ago, 1:26 AM #15
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Thanks for reminding me that I need to renew my domain registration for

www.maximumspeedandviolence.com

because some titles are so potent the rest of the comic emerges as a result.
5 days ago, 1:48 AM #16
E-hero Vulven
Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow!
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
Thank god for subtitles. Those will help make stuff sound less generic if using common words. And punctuations, like my hyphen/dash.
5 days ago, 1:57 AM #17
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
Travis:I feel like I got really lucky with the name Bruno Harm. I liked it so much It was naturally going to be the title of the comic.

I just wrote a whole lot of names on a piece of paper and mixed them around until something stuck.

I Title each "episode" in the comic which is more fun because it seems less important, and if I don't think of something super clever, there's always next time.

Haha, yeah, you can have fun with chapter titles, eh? I often use and abuse movie or song titles for chapters on my Butterfly Effect story : -

11 : Dye Another Day
13 : Easter Charade
16 : Breakfast Antipathies
17 : Schindler's Lifts
22 : A Wonder called Fishnets
23 : I'm Dreaming of a Wide Isthmus...
5 days ago, 2:03 AM #18
loyaldog
Man's best acquaintance
Registration date: 14th Feb 2017
"Inner Dialogue" was kind of a working title at first as well. It seemed at bit too on the nose - The comic's called "Inner Dialogue", and it's mainly about internal dialogue. But, hey, I got attached to it and it works. At least there's not much confusion about what you're gonna be reading about.

I'd say just look through a bunch of words that relate to your main theme, and see if anything gives you an idea.
Inner Dialogue: A webcomic about a person who hears voices. Well, really just one voice, but it's weird to say "hears a voice". It's technically a more accurate description, but no one ever says - you know what, just read the comic.
5 days ago, 2:07 AM #19
merlinnia
Took one for the team
Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
fashion_disease_:I had like a title holder for months.(art block) long enough for the title to be completely irrelevant. so decided, what in Tarantino should this title be??
so hierain highs, sure. It's a weird name, but It's not super abstract or anything, it's "heroin highs" misspelled. like badly misspelled. why am i like this

Fun fact I love this comic but I mispronounce it in my head like Hearian Highs xD

I hate titling things. I don't know if the working title for my comic will stay so I just refer to it as L.

I don't feel that bad about my titles when I remember Nintendo Revolution --> Wii though :'D
5 days ago, 2:19 AM #20
MisterParadigm

Registration date: 30th May 2012
Oh, I love coming up with titles! I'm one of the weird ones, titles are one of my favorite parts.

As far as mine go, I use a few methods. Sometimes it's as simple as the most important thing in the episode. Other times, it's a play on words. Other times--like many TV series--I take an existing title for a film or book and twist it as it fits the episode.

Right now, though, with the second season of Mallory Bash being "The Dreaming Tree Saga," nearly all the episode titles are lyrics from the song "The Dreaming Tree" or lyrics from other Dave Matthews Band songs as appropriate.

Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How do you title your works?/title discussion
Pages: [1] [2] [3]