Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Critique my comic please.

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > Critique my comic please.
Pages: [1]

"Critique my comic please.", 5 days ago, 6:18 AM #1
Van Husk I
Official Age Monitor
Referrals: 0
Registration date: 31st Jul 2014
I'm in the market for a critique on my side comic "Essoin." It's not very long as of yet, only sitting at 10 pages, but I think it's enough to give a decent grasp on some points. I'm particularly curious if the pacing is decent, if the action panels do their job at engaging the eyes, and if the dialogue is believable. Of course, if you have any other criticisms on the work I'd love that too.

It should be mentioned that I deliberately choose not to use color for this comic. It's been brought up in the past that color would make it pop more, I get that. I just don't want it for this comic.

Any takers/advice would be much appreciated. Be as harsh or as gentle as you'd like, I'm used to getting my ass pounded either way. Thank you in advance!

(The direct link is the blood spattered female symbol in my banner.)
5 days ago, 8:23 AM #2
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
Now, I don't mince my critiques. I think people need to know areas where they can improve, so I always give it to them straight.

The issue here is... I ain't got nothing bad to say. Your comic is easy to read, flowing from panel to panel and page to page. The only time I had to backtrack to work something out was when the pig stole the pouch - for some reason it wasn't immediately obvious what was happening. The only issue I can see is keeping the frenetic pace while building an actual plot. Good luck with that!

The art is fun and easy on the eyes. It is clear what is being shown, and shows movement and style. My only gripe (and I had to think hard on this) is that the main character's face looks a little lacking in details, which only looks obvious when it is near the guy at the end, who has a much more detailed face.

I can easily see people buying a graphic novel of this quality. Kudos.
5 days ago, 1:41 PM #3
Van Husk I
Official Age Monitor
Thank you for the review, Argyle. I've always preferred the straight forward criticisms. That being said, it's extremely flattering that you've found so little issues with it. I have to admit, when designing Alys I thought that the simplified look would help make her look more innocent, younger and unassuming. In retrospect I really should have put a few more details into her and it'd help in the longshot to give her a wider range of expressions. I'll probably try and subtly add in more details over time to make the adjustment.

I have been playing it a little fast and loose with the progression of events but there are going to be slower, more dialogue oriented pages coming up. I think the biggest hurdle I'll have to figure out is when to end the conversation and get back to the actions.

It's good to know that the pages and paneling comes off well and clear. I hope to keep that up in pages and chapters to come. It's really fun to draw and I plan to keep putting out the fun/heavy content for a very long time.

Thank you again, Argyle, for the critique. I really appreciate you stepping in and taking the time to leave your thoughts.

Thank you!!
3 days ago, 12:32 AM #4
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
Same issue here. I really want to give some constructive critiques but there's really no glaring problem with the comic imo. If I were to tell you what I would want personally, color would be great, but you've already decided against this. The line work is solid, I see you're going for pure black and white so maybe you could experiment more with tones to make your work more dynamic (particularly the backgrounds, maybe some sparse tones in the grassy area to make it less monotonic) but this is only a suggestion, I know you're going for a more simple and effective look, and it works. The biggest issue is ya need to continue the story :P
3 days ago, 4:46 AM #5
Van Husk I
Official Age Monitor
Thank you for the input, Sovember! I could not agree more. I've recently put out a new page and I'm actually working on the next one right now. (Almost done, too.) I think I've got decent amount of potential with the story I have planned so far and it's truly addicting to draw these pages. I'm not going to let it go to waste.

In regards to the toning, I'm definitely going to pursue giving a little more depth to the world/backgrounds. It would really help the figures pop too. :D

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! <3
Pages: [1]