Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Printing my comic

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Printing my comic
Pages: [1]

"Printing my comic", 19th May 2017, 8:12 PM #1
Timelapse11

Registration date: 14th May 2017
So, I will be going to the comic con in my town and I wanna sell the first chapter of my comic. I know I will have enough time to finish it off, that's not the problem, the problem is, I don't know how many I need to order.
I'm thinking 5 or 10 but there's no guarantee people will buy them, I'll also sell them on my etsy shop as well.
I'm also not sure how much to sell them for, I don't want to sell them really cheap because that kinda says I don't have any confidence, but I don't wanna overprice them either.
I'm thinking of A5 for the size. But IDK. The comic con is at the end of August, so I'm starting to arrange everything.

19th May 2017, 8:44 PM #2
Damatris
You should see my other usertitle
Registration date: 4th Mar 2014
Ordering too few is better than ending up with a huge stack of merch you can't get rid of.

But printing 5-10 seems pretty good idea. To guess how much you'll sell is always hard but some things to keep in mind: How big is the con? How many hours/days are you selling there? Do you have a fan base that's in attendance?

Personally, I've averaged around 5 prints per comic (offering 3 different ones) at cons. I've been selling them 5 euros a piece since they're A5 B&W zines with production value of around 1-2 euros. xD

Getting comics printed instead of doing it yourself and having them in full color will cost more so the price has to go up too. In general, self published color comics seem to be sold at the average of 10 - 20 euros here in Finland. Decide how much profit you want per comic and add the production cost. There's your price that you can adjust up or down depending on where it lands.

Also, are you going to sell other things too? People really like buying small things like stickers and such if you don't want to make prints.
20th May 2017, 3:08 PM #3
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
If you want to be competitive with other comics, then the price should be equal to or less than similar comics. That often depends on how many pages are printed, the size, paper quality, and whether they're in color or not.

Since A5 is about manga size, find out what those are selling for, divide the cover price by the number of pages therein, then multiply the per page value by the number of pages in your book.

What service are you using to print?

Damatris:I've been selling them 5 euros a piece since they're A5 B&W zines with production value of around 1-2 euros. xD

[...] In general, self published color comics seem to be sold at the average of 10 - 20 euros here in Finland.

So do you manually print your own and how do you do it? How many pages are in your books? Are those 10-20-euro color books completed graphic novels or episodic floppies?
20th May 2017, 3:49 PM #4
Leafa
was along for the ride
Registration date: 22nd Sep 2009
A5 size is good, I feel like most zines and self published comics I've come across are that size (in the UK at least, I have some from the US which are slightly larger.) I've just printed one of my comics that size and I love it!

I recently went to a small press comics fair and picked up a catalogue. It's really useful for seeing how other people are pricing things! You'll have to convert the currency but in there the averge 24 page black and white comic is about £3, colour comics of the same size/length seem to start around the same price and go up to about £5/6. It's difficult to compare like with like though because there was everything there from hand photocopied zines to professional quality stuff. Longer works can be anything up to £20.

As for how many, I think 10-15 is a nice number to start with! You don't want to cart loads and loads of comics to a con and then drag them home again at the end of the day.

For the print run I just did, I looked at how many I sold of my last book (which wasn't many - about 15 ;D), calculated how much money I would make if I managed to sell that many again, and then spent that much money on printing. Which means I've ended up with way more than 15 comics, but I know that if I sell 15 I'll break even. Since I've managed that before, I'm not TOO worried. Although I think it's best to consider money spent on printing comics as investment in a hobby, like buying a pair of running shoes or some sports equipment. Don't guarantee on making it back again.
20th May 2017, 4:24 PM #5
Timelapse11

What service are you using to print?

Well, I was using doxzoo but then I found out if I wanted to print it won't let me print less than 59 pages for what I want. So I'm gonna have to look for a new printers in the uk. EDIT: I found this website, and I'm waiting for a quote comicprintinguk They seem friendly enough, I just hope I can afford it, I put my budget at no more then £40

I recently went to a small press comics fair and picked up a catalogue. It's really useful for seeing how other people are pricing things! You'll have to convert the currency but in there the averge 24 page black and white comic is about £3, colour comics of the same size/length seem to start around the same price and go up to about £5/6. It's difficult to compare like with like though because there was everything there from hand photocopied zines to professional quality stuff. Longer works can be anything up to £20.

I was going to price them around £5 o £8 since they are in colour.

20th May 2017, 4:55 PM #6
Robotwin.com

I went through online quote calculator at www.bookprintinguk.com and the 25-page unit cost for 20 copies was £3.06 before shipping.

www.printondemand-worldwide.com had a cheaper low-coverage color option with free shipping but it still cost more at £3.35 per copy.
20th May 2017, 5:16 PM #7
Timelapse11

I went through online quote calculator at www.bookprintinguk.com and the 25-page unit cost for 20 copies was £3.06 before shipping.

www.printondemand-worldwide.com had a cheaper low-coverage color option with free shipping but it still cost more at £3.35 per copy.

Which product did you look at?

20th May 2017, 5:25 PM #8
Leafa
was along for the ride
Registration date: 22nd Sep 2009
Timelapse11:Well, I was using doxzoo but then I found out if I wanted to print it won't let me print less than 59 pages for what I want. So I'm gonna have to look for a new printers in the uk. EDIT: I found this website, and I'm waiting for a quote comicprintinguk They seem friendly enough, I just hope I can afford it, I put my budget at no more then £40

I was going to price them around £5 o £8 since they are in colour.

I recommend you check out Mixam, I just used them ("booklets" not comics, but same difference!) and it was a good experience. They sent me a selectionof sample papers which was really useful to choose what I wanted, and they were very patient when I messed up some things along the way!

They also let you do a small number of pages and a small number of copies very cheaply, especially considering the quality.And they're based in the UK!
20th May 2017, 5:34 PM #9
Timelapse11

I recommend you check out Mixam, I just used them ("booklets" not comics, but same difference!) and it was a good experience. They sent me a selectionof sample papers which was really useful to choose what I wanted, and they were very patient when I messed up some things along the way!

They also let you do a small number of pages and a small number of copies very cheaply, especially considering the quality.And they're based in the UK!

These people look great, and looks affordable as well, thanks for the recommendation!

20th May 2017, 6:24 PM #10
Robotwin.com

Here is the full quote from printondemand-worldwide.com (sorry I don't have the other one but it was very similar):

Book Specification
Size: A5 (210mm x 148mm)
Binding: Saddle Stitch with Colour Cover
Lamination: None Required
Proof: No Proof Required
Orientation: Portrait
Cover Stock 2 Page Cover, (300gsm Board (PEFC) )
Affordable Full Colour Printing (Low Ink Coverage) 25pp, (White Silk 115gsm (FSC))
Number of copies
Update Price
Quote Sub Total
(20 copies with an approximate unit cost of £3.35)
£66.95
Delivery Estimate
(estimated until you enter delivery addresses when placing your order)
£7.50
Delivery Offer!
(under 400kg to one UK address when quoted, confirmed and paid online)
FREE

I checked out Mixam and it looks much better (at £1.38/copy)! I assume "sides" means "pages" in their quote calculator?
https://mixam.co.uk/booklets
20th May 2017, 7:23 PM #11
Timelapse11

I checked out Mixam and it looks much better (at £1.38/copy)! I assume "sides" means "pages" in their quote calculator?
https://mixam.co.uk/booklets

I am assuming that too

20th May 2017, 10:38 PM #12
Damatris
You should see my other usertitle
Registration date: 4th Mar 2014
Robotwin.com:
So do you manually print your own and how do you do it? How many pages are in your books? Are those 10-20-euro color books completed graphic novels or episodic floppies?

Those zines are printed with good old photocopier. And then I stapled them into book format. Very old school way of making zines but looks clean and is easy to read. :D Those zines are one shots made during 24H comic days so each of them are 24 pages.

Uhhhh... both? Mostly floppies tho. I think most comics around 10e be it B&W or color are about 20 - 36 pages with professional print quality (as in the actual material etc, not talking about content in this context) while around 20e are usually 50 -100 pages I think. Take this with a grain of salt since I can't remember the excat price of the comics I've bought / flipped through.

But the average range is 2-5e for low cost photocopier zines and 10-15e for comics made with an actual printing services when not talking about very thick volumes.
Pages: [1]