Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Old vs new OC designs

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Old vs new OC designs
Pages: [1] [2]

"Old vs new OC designs", 19th May 2017, 10:20 PM #1
WanderingJew
πŸ•Ž Light it up πŸ•Ž
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
Time to take a walk down Memory Cringe Lane!

Post images of your earliest drawings of your characters, vs your current.
I'm not talking about comic improvement, specifically character designs and how they've changed over the years. Also share any changes you may have made to their personalities.

-----
To start, here's Lionel circ. 2011 vs Lionel 2017

He's largely stayed the same over the years, in terms of character and personality, although back then he was much more of a rage-quit, kick everyone and light everything on fire guy. He's much more reserved now.
He's always been a redhead, but he purposely dyed his hair black to avoid being so noticeable (which he still does in canon), because having pumpkin-orange hair makes you a walking target.

Now here's Jacques from circ. 2010-2011 vs 2017

Jacq has changed a lot. He used to be a fairly lighthearted, funny character, but now has boiled into a bad egg. Well, he was bad from the beginning, but he's turned into a really, really bad guy and I loooooove it.
20th May 2017, 12:07 AM #2
harajuku_Smittle_
Greasy grubby grimy thug
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2016
time for embarrassment
wwwww i got Lilith, well to be fair she didn't have a name for her and it was H until mid January, so now i just call her H.Lilith

so there's also Everett, (i ironically named him king cuck) for some reason i just

robes
I don't have a really good picture of good 'ol robes but she's indie goth now

20th May 2017, 12:08 AM #3
MisterParadigm

Registration date: 30th May 2012
WanderingJew:Time to take a walk down Memory Cringe Lane!

Post images of your earliest drawings of your characters, vs your current.
I'm not talking about comic improvement, specifically character designs and how they've changed over the years. Also share any changes you may have made to their personalities.

-----
To start, here's Lionel circ. 2011 vs Lionel 2017

He's largely stayed the same over the years, in terms of character and personality, although back then he was much more of a rage-quit, kick everyone and light everything on fire guy. He's much more reserved now.
He's always been a redhead, but he purposely dyed his hair black to avoid being so noticeable (which he still does in canon), because having pumpkin-orange hair makes you a walking target.

Now here's Jacques from circ. 2010-2011 vs 2017

Jacq has changed a lot. He used to be a fairly lighthearted, funny character, but now has boiled into a bad egg. Well, he was bad from the beginning, but he's turned into a really, really bad guy and I loooooove it.

...I'm gonna end up doing fan art of this character. Love the design.

Also, here's the very first drawing of Mallory Bash ever, compared to one of the most recent.

20th May 2017, 1:09 AM #4
Rulerbrain
blew up the Gravy Train
Registration date: 9th Jun 2015
Yeah I've got a few

Carla

Mary

Frankie
20th May 2017, 1:27 AM #5
Timelapse11

Registration date: 14th May 2017
Old Clara:

New Clara: image

20th May 2017, 1:41 AM #6
khkddn
dsg54 hfkâÀü %$& ♣♦♦❄
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
my main character edith

pre 2010 - 2012 (the first one is a remake. i don't have any original pictures of edith in stick figure version, but i remember what she looked like)

Edith's name used to be Envyn, and before that her name was Sadist. She was the evil doppleganger of a princess. Later on, when I changed her hair from blonde to brown, she was a wishy washy, annoying side character in a story that'd eventually become Helsirvente. Her only purpose was to have a one sided crush on the main character.

2014-present

Edith eventually became the main character of Helsirvente because I liked her so much. As time went on her personality became less annoying (she's still annoying, but in a way that's supposed to be funny) and way less of a pushover.

Her hair became floofy because I realized I'd be drawing/coloring her a lot, and round hair is easier to color than pointy hair. Lazy choices.
20th May 2017, 1:53 AM #7
Product Placement

Registration date: 15th May 2011
Timelapse11:Old Clara:

That's... a female Flint, from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

You even copied his T-shirt design and pet monkey.

Timelapse11:New Clara:

Ok... NOW it's an OC.
20th May 2017, 2:35 AM #8
Fabian W.
it feels so good
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
In the first picture: SΓΆren, Tarik and Peter, drawn 2011.
In the second picture: Mirabell, Bianca and Kanny, drawn 2011.

And this are their pictures from my current character page, drawn 2016:

But who the heck is Bianca?? This girl! (Drawn 2017.)

(Also note in the background the sea serpent, the chupacabra and the Diomedian horse - the latter didn't even appear in the comic proper until last year!)
20th May 2017, 3:03 AM #9
deerwithgoggles

Registration date: 25th Aug 2013
here's one of the first drawings of pacem. what to fuck.

and here's a newer sketch of pacem
20th May 2017, 3:34 AM #10
ooel

Registration date: 31st Jul 2014
Aven's gone through a ton of stages since 2013. Originally she was just a self insert oc for a cute mock fighter idea I had between some friends at the time. I made them all into their own ocs, or if they already had one I just made it look like them.

A lot of the changes were to lean away from her being conventionally cute. Her character changed into "nasty monster" instead of "cute monster girl" originally because I was tired of romaticised monster portrayals. Now she's finally developed into something much more balanced. She's a cute monster girl masquerading as a nasty monster! (and doing a damn good job of it lol) ;)
20th May 2017, 4:03 AM #11
Memoria Caelestie
🌼🌹🌈 🌟🌷🌻
Registration date: 2nd Nov 2013
Mephena First one I drew when I was 18 years old, 2: 19 years old,3: 21 years old,4: 22 years old

Zafim First one: 17 years old, 2: 19 years old,3: 21 years old,4: 22 years old

Drasil First one: 19 years old, 2: 20 years old,3: 21 years old,4: 22 years old

Ibele First one: 16 years old, 2: 20 years old,3: 22 years old

Sinistra First one: 19 years old, 2: 21 years old,3: 22 years old

Such tiny heads I drew back then! woof
20th May 2017, 4:12 AM #12
zoidolite
Unless something better's on TV!
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
the Turd Squad in their 2009 visages:

somehow they managed to mutate into these characters:

Tolly's change in design in the most dramatic, since i tried to keep elements of Nick and David's designs in their current ones. James just got ears and a nose.
20th May 2017, 5:35 AM #13
DaniBoy

Registration date: 25th Mar 2017
The characters in my comic haven't changed at all in the last 5+ years, so they'd be kinda boring to look at. But I do have a character from a different story who's changed a lot. She was the first OC I ever drew when I was 12 years old, just starting my journey as a serious hobbyist. Unfortunately I don't have the first drawing cuz I was a dumbass and destroyed it, but I have stuff that is MUCH more entertaining.

I drew this back in 2004, starting my first year in high school:

These are the several description/reference drawings I made:

This is her new design in 2005:

2007:

Latest drawing I did of her in 2014:

Sorry if some of this is TMI, I just LOVE this shit!
20th May 2017, 10:32 AM #14
thewotartmonkey
Blimpmaster
Registration date: 16th Aug 2013
2008 (before I started uploading the comic):

Almost a decade later, 2017:

They've all caught the sun a bit in the 2017 examples, but apart from Jon their skin tones are the same as in the 2008 picture.

It's worth pointing out that the hair and clothes in 2008 were heavily modelled off what I thought was cool at the time. I might go back to drawing Seth's shoelaces untied though, there was no reason at all for me to remove that from his design.

Personality-wise, Anna used to... not have much of a personality at all, because I didn't really know what to do with her. Over time she became the somewhat crass, unmotivated, blunt sassmaster she is today. Jon used to be something of a deadpan snarker, and although that never really changed, he also became less confident and more adorkable than I initially planned for him to be (I regret nothing). Seth hasn't changed very much at all, he began as a lazy, well-intentioned buffoon, and the only thing I think that's changed is he has more depth(?)

I'm always really interested to see old character designs, and for some reason I'm especially fascinated by hair colour changes. Timelapse11, you mind me asking why you decided to go from brown hair to pink and blue hair? It's such a striking change, I'm curious to know what sparked it.
20th May 2017, 10:57 AM #15
Coolcatcomics
saves the kids
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2016
well... their physical designs barely changed at all, except for the clothes XD and the occational, you know, loss of an eye, or new hairstyle
the only one who looks somewhat different is dark XD

he might also be one of them whose personality changed most XD he used to be an edgy vampire stereotype and now hes just an annoying smartass

oh hey there's also mike

yeah he used to be just some kinda nice guy from school i guess and now he's just depressed and really clingy XD and also a demigod .
image image image image
me being cool and handsome on other websites (advance at own risk)
20th May 2017, 12:27 PM #16
Kevtrev

Registration date: 31st Oct 2015
Technically the first S&B character I ever created was Pirad, back in 2005. At first he was just a random pirate guy I doodled, but I ended up putting him in the actual comic. Here's a comparison pic I made recently:

The first drawn version of the comic (it started as a sprite comic) dates back to 2007. Some comparisons from that:

Sean and Bailey are supposed to be close friends, but at first I had trouble showing how close they were without making it seem romantic/flirty. So that resulted in a bunch of cringy out-of-character moments. I like to think my writing's improved since then and the relationship between them feels more genuine and realistic now.

Adam and Trellian:

Adam's Academy staff members:

Here's a more recent character design (2011), as I didn't create Burt until the current version of the story:

Apologies for the poor quality of some of those pics; they were taken years and years ago.
21st May 2017, 12:39 AM #17
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
MisterParadigm:...I'm gonna end up doing fan art of this character. Love the design.

Also, here's the very first drawing of Mallory Bash ever, compared to one of the most recent.

May I ask what year the first drawing of her is from (I'd guess the 2000s or early 2010s sometime), since the art style is quite different to at the start of your comic?

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
21st May 2017, 7:31 AM #18
MisterParadigm

Registration date: 30th May 2012
RJDG14:May I ask what year the first drawing of her is from (I'd guess the 2000s or early 2010s sometime), since the art style is quite different to at the start of your comic?

Actually, it was almost two years ago. When the first drawing was done, I was still using a tablet and not a pen display, and I also hadn't gone through the "great catalyst" as I call it. I went to Los Angeles for about five months on a national exchange program with college, and while I was there I attended CTN-X (the Creative Talent Network Expo), where I saw just how much better other artists were than me. So I hitched up my pants and dove deep into improvement, and when I came back to Indianapolis, Mallory Bash was a fully-fleshed out series with solid character designs and backstories, etc.

The original concept for Mallory Bash was also a loose sci-fi about a space-faring preteen girl that randomly fought goofy aliens in a very neon universe. It got much more grounded in development. Much more story-driven and less genre-driven.

21st May 2017, 10:22 AM #19
WanderingJew
πŸ•Ž Light it up πŸ•Ž
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
MisterParadigm:Actually, it was almost two years ago.

Damn bruh. Good improvement in such a short amount of time, and you really did focus on learning art fundamentals and color theory.

--

Super interesting to see how everyone's developed their characters over the years! Seeing a lot of dramatic changes, hoping that it's because people are improving and growing along.
21st May 2017, 11:54 AM #20
Martina McKenzie

Registration date: 22nd Nov 2016
2012 (Before I started the comic)

2017 (One of the recent pages)

Gosh,looking at that old art makes me cringe so much,JFC