Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Comments on your comics

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Comments on your comics
Pages: [1] [2]

"Comments on your comics", 17th Jun 2017, 5:38 PM #1
heckos

Registration date: 21st Nov 2014
I love to get nice comments on my comic! Who doesn't? ...But I'm horrible at replying to them.

It's an issue born from anxiety, so I'm not really looking for solutions, but I wanted to know if the comic creator not responding to all of your comments hurts your feelings or makes you not want to respond in the future. I do reply to questions and similar things, but more neutral statements are very hard for me to answer. Should I even worry about it? Do you even expect a response for most/all comments left?

If you have left me a comment, please know that I'm so happy to hear from you! I'm just really really bad at replying directly most of the time. ;_;
17th Jun 2017, 5:43 PM #2
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
In truth, when a comment I leave on CF doesn't get a reply, I end up thinking the author never saw it or didn't really care, and it does put me off leaving more. It doesn't hurt my feelings or anything, I just sorta end up thinking that the author maybe doesn't want comments? As weird as it may sound. I'm not saying I was right, in fact it's probably completely off, it's probably a 'me problem.' I've been trying to shift my way of thinking about this, since I've noticed a lot of creators and readers have different attitudes to comments.
17th Jun 2017, 5:43 PM #3
ChristianRepass

Registration date: 6th Apr 2017
I don't really mind when a creator doesn't reply. I usually just assume they're busy. As someone who also has anxiety, I completely understand your concerns.
17th Jun 2017, 5:46 PM #4
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
For me, it depends. If I've written a mini essay that genuinely and appreciatively examines the work, I would like a reply. Doesn't have to be an equally in-depth reply (especially if a straightforward answer might be spoilery), but at least an acknowledgement? When I post such a comment, and never hear back from the creator, it is very unlikely for me to comment on their work again.

(Unless it's one of those comics that get flooded with comments with every update. Then I understand it's more practical to let the readers discuss it out among themselves.)
17th Jun 2017, 5:49 PM #5
Coolcatcomics
saves the kids
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2016
no yeah i totally get it, i try to reply the best i can but i just suck at it and i dont want to just say "lol" or "thanks" all the time, but i really want comments XD
and i dont mind at all if they dont reply, honestly i just comment whenever i feel like it i don't think about that stuff
image image image image
me being cool and handsome on other websites (advance at own risk)
17th Jun 2017, 6:00 PM #6
heckos

keiiii:For me, it depends. If I've written a mini essay that genuinely and appreciatively examines the work, I would like a reply. Doesn't have to be an equally in-depth reply (especially if a straightforward answer might be spoilery), but at least an acknowledgement? When I post such a comment, and never hear back from the creator, it is very unlikely for me to comment on their work again.

(Unless it's one of those comics that get flooded with comments with every update. Then I understand it's more practical to let the readers discuss it out among themselves.)

Yeah in a situation where someone would leave a long response or a question I always get back to them, and I'd feel bad as well if a creator didn't reply to me if I did the same. My issue is really only with shortish, quick comments left by readers that don't have an obvious way of replying. (And of course I still love these comments and wouldn't want them to stop!)
17th Jun 2017, 6:05 PM #7
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
Yeah... what is there to say about "great comic!" other than "thanks!" ? Not to devalue those short comments, but they just don't give you a lot to say about in response.

Sometimes, though, I find that they leave the door unlocked for ME to open, with a question like "Thanks! Who's your favorite character/ what's your favorite scene so far?" But not every time.
17th Jun 2017, 6:06 PM #8
Memoria Caelestie
🌼🌹🌈 🌟🌷🌻
Registration date: 2nd Nov 2013
you have to keep in mind that not all comments are something you can reply to! For example:
Those are comments I receive on a page and there isn't much of conversation that can made here. Unless you asking a question to the creator or a compliment or an interesting observation chances are most creator doesn't know what to reply. Lately on my tapastic I am prone to not replying since most of the comments are similar to what I get from the example! sometimes I am not sure if people are actually reading my comic with some of the comments I get!
17th Jun 2017, 6:09 PM #9
spidar

Registration date: 26th Jun 2016
I usually don't expect a reply since my comments are usually along the lines of "ooo, shiny." It doesn't put me off from commenting... My anxiety on the other hand definitely keeps me from commenting because I don't want to say something stupid or annoy the author...
17th Jun 2017, 6:48 PM #10
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
Memoria Caelestie leaves the best comments.

I try to reply to everyone who comments on my comic. I think I'm batting around 97%. I want the commenters to know I'm reading they write, and I like to engage with them. I mean, I'm a big fan of my own comic, and they're pretty much the only people I know who actually want to talk about it.
17th Jun 2017, 7:25 PM #11
stinger9

Registration date: 16th Aug 2016
I don't really mind if the author doesn't reply to all my comments. Although, it's nice to get a reply from time to time at least, it can really put me off leaving comments if it feels like the author couldn't care less about getting them.

I do try and reply to all comments I get though, simply because I do appreciate the hell out of them! Guess it's not all that difficult though when you're getting 0-1 comments. The only exceptions are where it's like a one word comment that I can't think of a reply for, or one occasion elsewhere when I was kind of too tired to reply to a chain of comments, and sort of ended up completely forgetting! But still, I know how off-putting it can be to not get replies, so I try and conjure up at least some kind of awkward response!
17th Jun 2017, 8:38 PM #12
fedoramoron

Registration date: 27th Mar 2015
It would be sort of nice if there were a "like" function so I could just acknowledge I read a comment. lol
17th Jun 2017, 9:47 PM #13
heckos

I agree, I was thinking about this earlier. I think maybe Disqus has something like that? I just use the default comments system.
17th Jun 2017, 10:21 PM #14
Reaper Dragon
🐉
Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
Seeing author interaction atleast once a page for a busy comment section or every third or fourth page for a quiet comic that gets one or two comments occasionally is what I like seeing.
I appreciate questions answered though every comment doesn't need respond to.

If it's a first comment by me on a comic that doesn't seem to get comments on an empty page then I'd like to see if the creator does or is willing to interact. Even a smiley is something.

"I thought “Unicorn Butt Patrol” would get more traction in the comments on the prior page, but as per usual on the Internet, everyone wanted to talk about physics instead"
17th Jun 2017, 11:30 PM #15
MistakeNPotatoes
What a guy!
Registration date: 3rd Aug 2014
I try to reply to every comment I get, but a combination of anxiety and or busy times sometimes let them slip through the cracks. If I ever see one I never replied to I immediately feel really awful :I
17th Jun 2017, 11:36 PM #16
WanderingJew
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
I have GAD and get anxious over little stupid things, so when I get a comment I try to reply, but a little demon seems to crawl into my ear and scream "DANGER!!! DON'T DO IT!!!" every time. So most of the time it's my brain being a fuck. I apologize henceforth. Gomen.
17th Jun 2017, 11:38 PM #17
JasonD

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2016
I'm a La-Z-Boy when it comes to replying.

Sorry Prof, but yeah Clash's monologue was based off that one Black Flag interview with Danzig being a bully cuz he's tinier than Tiny Tim's dick.
18th Jun 2017, 12:56 AM #18
GIL

Registration date: 9th Jan 2017
I reply to every comment. At first I didn't, but after some commenting on other people's comics I realized it's pretty cool to be acknowledged by the author and interact with them, even if it's just a simple, short thing. Granted, sometimes it's extremely hard to reply. I've spent more time than I'm confortable admitting trying to figure out some answers.
18th Jun 2017, 2:37 AM #19
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
I'm terrible at commenting. I just don't have the knack for it. I try to comment when I can, because I love comments on my comic, but sometimes I struggle with more than "This is cool!", which to me is a sort of non-comment.

When I do comment, I really suck at going back to check if I got a reply. I don't think the artist owes me a reply, and won't be even slightly upset if I don't get one. They are providing the product for my amusement, I provide comments to give them that emotional boost and show that I appreciate them.

As for comments on my comic, I try to reply to all of them, even though I feel weird doing it (social anxiety thing, I guess). I want to show them how much I appreciate the time taken to comment on my work. Also, this is my first story-based comic, and people discussing the world and characters is EXTREMELY cool, and I want to encourage it!
18th Jun 2017, 8:17 AM #20
Adam-00

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2014
I rarely comment on others, because I'd only write negative things. The reason is, if I take the effort to write something, that means I already like what I see, otherwise I wouldn't waste my time, but there are things disturbing me or stuff I don't understand. Obviously, authors might feel it like a slap in the face, so I don't mind not getting answers the few times I tried.

Reaper Dragon:Seeing author interaction atleast once a page for a busy comment section or every third or fourth page for a quiet comic that gets one or two comments occasionally is what I like seeing.
I appreciate questions answered though every comment doesn't need respond to.

If it's a first comment by me on a comic that doesn't seem to get comments on an empty page then I'd like to see if the creator does or is willing to interact. Even a smiley is something.

I replied you most of the times, as I remember :)
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Comments on your comics
Pages: [1] [2]