Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - what to except from superhero comic?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > what to except from superhero comic?
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

23rd Jun 2017, 12:50 PM #41
kyrtuck

Registration date: 19th Sep 2016
shastab24:I thought of another thing, though it's not one of your questions:

What do I like about modern comics as opposed to classic ones?

Diversity, primarily. We no longer get primarily cisgender heterosexual white characters and have a greater range of people (even if some writers wouldn't understand how to write a minority character--they should get the hint to write them like they would any other character).

Actually that reminds me of two things I've been bothered by with recent comics.

1. A lot of new, original diverse characters and teams tend to not last long and fade away, or,

2. New diverse characters take the identity of some old white character who gets killed off or whatever, which is demeaning because then it makes it look like women/blacks/whatever can't come up with their own ideas.
23rd Jun 2017, 1:21 PM #42
DrewSpence

Registration date: 25th Apr 2017
Isn't villainy NOT justified despite their backstory? Should villains be inexplicable?

Sounds to me more like the reason villains become villains isn't substantial enough.
But I think the crazy part is supposed to explain the exaggerated reaction to whatever it was they were denied.

If the crazy individual got what they wanted earlier in life, they wouldn't have gone off the deep end.
Same with good guys/heroes.
23rd Jun 2017, 5:03 PM #43
NeilKapit

Registration date: 9th Feb 2014
kyrtuck:Actually that reminds me of two things I've been bothered by with recent comics.

1. A lot of new, original diverse characters and teams tend to not last long and fade away, or,

2. New diverse characters take the identity of some old white character who gets killed off or whatever, which is demeaning because then it makes it look like women/blacks/whatever can't come up with their own ideas.

Yeah, having a "Separate but Equal" Spider-Man or Captain America is little progress.
23rd Jun 2017, 5:23 PM #44
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
Maybe Spider-man and Cap America have become almost like political offices/institutions, so the progress is in having a representation of color like the POTUS. We can't say a POTUS of color is demeaning because they can't think up their own office of leadership. Alternative heroes like Falcon, Luke Cage and Black Panther already exist too, ya know. So there must be room for both types if progress is what you want.
23rd Jun 2017, 6:00 PM #45
shaneoid

Registration date: 19th May 2016
I think the genre is really open to your own spin, and sometimes what people expect can turn in to your biggest asset to shock the system. I've incorporated my years of philosophical study in to my superhero stories, with a move towards postmodern ideas of morality. I'm hoping it plays on the already established cultural ideas we've come to expect from superhero comics, while working with something more modern in ethics. Moral relativity keeps me interested in writing these stories over your traditional good vs. evil.

I believe the most important aspect in this sense is setting the basics so they inspire you to go beyond your initial concept. Personally I was tired of the seeking justice or death in family motivations typical in superhero stories, but I believe a good motivation for your heroes to place them in a variety of scenarios will benefit you over all. Hope this helps!
24th Jun 2017, 6:38 AM #46
NeilKapit

Registration date: 9th Feb 2014
Robotwin.com:Maybe Spider-man and Cap America have become almost like political offices/institutions, so the progress is in having a representation of color like the POTUS. We can't say a POTUS of color is demeaning because they can't think up their own office of leadership. Alternative heroes like Falcon, Luke Cage and Black Panther already exist too, ya know. So there must be room for both types if progress is what you want.

That would be true if the older guys weren't hanging over them, as if just waiting for the chance to get all the spotlight again. Miles Morales being the only Spider-Man in the Ultimate Universe worked because Peter was dead. He didn't have competition for the hero role, it was just about him. In the super-connected modern Marvel Universe (where books simply DON'T exist without connecting to a bunch of other books), Miles is the other Spider-Man, getting some time in the limelight via his separate book where he can be Spider-Man so long as Peter Parker (and by extension Marvel) allows it.

Then again, I'm not equipped to judge what Miles does or doesn't mean to people, especially to non-white people. I did bring in copies of the latest Miles Morales comics for literacy exercises when I taught in a Los Angeles ghetto school, and I saw the kids respond really strongly to the character. I know how meaningful it is to have a hero you can see yourself in, especially when attached to a brand that everyone in the civilized world knows by now. So those personal impacts mean far more than whatever I think.