Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Help figuring out a schedule for page releases

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Help figuring out a schedule for page releases
Pages: [1]

"Help figuring out a schedule for page releases", 19th Jun 2017, 8:41 PM #1
Fnibble

Registration date: 19th Jul 2012
Hello all! I haven't been active at all for a long time due to life stuff
but now I recently made like a WHOLE bunch of storyboard content for my comic, and I feel comfortable now to restart anew (scrap what i have and start over).

I draw pretty fast, able to punch out at least two pages a day if I try, even faster since I already have my WIPs for many planned chapters.. So I was wondering what would be the best schedule to release pages of the comic?

My pages are kind of short, having as little as 2-6 panels per page... This makes it easier to draw more pages, but I'm hesitant to release once a week because it won't be giving much content to keep someone's interest. I also have this thing where my chapters always start off with the first 5 pages or so being only 2-3 scenic pages..

That being said I might start off my chapters with the first 3-5 pages released immediately to set the mood.. then the rest of the pages are usually more full. After that initial boost... my options are:

Three times a week (monday, wednesday, friday) was my first thought, however it will make me feel lazier and miss more pages, subconsciously thinking (ahh i can post a day late or something whatever). Still not a lot of content though.

Once a weekday (mon-fri) was also feasible, kind of like a middle ground. But even so, does one page a day of only half a scene (again 3-6 panels) really cut it?

Monthly chapters (around 30-40 pgs) now.. I know that sounds like a lot to push out at once, but once I publish then I have a whole month to plan and draw again, and I can have a big buffer of already drawn comics (lets say I finish one chapter ahead of time, then for the rest of the month before publishing I can already work on the next chapter)

I know its a lot to read, but I'm curious how everyone else publishes and how it works out for them. I know I should probably just be like ahh just do what feels right for your drawing speed... but I draw pretty fast so I have no idea!

would love some advice and also what you do for your own comics!
19th Jun 2017, 9:01 PM #2
merlinnia
Took one for the team
Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
I can't live update to update. I have to have a significant buffer of pages or I'll burn out. And I take a winter break and a summer break to stay ahead. In terms of days of the week, I used to update Monday and Thursday so I could catch the MWF readers and the Tuesday/Thursday readers but honestly I feel like update day is less and less important because people rely more on subscription notifications. I know I do. I doubt I could tell you off the top of my head what day most of my favorites update xD So at this point imo you can really pick any days of the week as long as you keep consistent.

Edit: also I think 3 days a week is optimal. At least from what I've seen webcomic viewers prefer that to too few or too many, though people understand if once a week is all that's feasible. Unless you're on Webtoons then they seem to prefer one long page, like a mini chapter, once a week.
19th Jun 2017, 9:07 PM #3
Fnibble

oooo, yeah I need to have a good buffer too. interesting about breaks..
some of my friends are saying MWF as well. Good to know from your experience that viewers prefer not too few or too many... depending on the site.

Thank you!
19th Jun 2017, 9:11 PM #4
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
I would say once a week with multiple pages, especially since you say your pages aren't very packed. IMO readers need to remember the story progression thus far in order to keep their interest. Two ways to make them not remember: a) release too little per update, so they can't properly process the progression and remember it, and/or b) update too infrequently, so they forget what happened by the next time the comic updates.
19th Jun 2017, 9:17 PM #5
merlinnia
Took one for the team
Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
I think if you're gonna do once a week on CF then put all the pages together as one long thing because otherwise people clicking to your comic from subscriptions will see the latest page and then have to click backwards to find out where the new pages started. Unless there's a better way I don't know about keiii?
19th Jun 2017, 9:19 PM #6
Fnibble

keiiii:I would say once a week with multiple pages, especially since you say your pages aren't very packed. IMO readers need to remember the story progression thus far in order to keep their interest. Two ways to make them not remember: a) release too little per update, so they can't properly process the progression and remember it, and/or b) update too infrequently, so they forget what happened by the next time the comic updates.

hmmm yeah I struggled with releasing too little per update before... then it would spiral to lack of motivation and etc. etc. thanks for your advice!

edit:
merlinnia:I think if you're gonna do once a week on CF then put all the pages together as one long thing because otherwise people clicking to your comic from subscriptions will see the latest page and then have to click backwards to find out where the new pages started. Unless there's a better way I don't know about keiii?

yeah that was one thing I was wondering about! I would probably set the comic archive to be the main page.. or a custom page that has like a mini navigation for most recent update (if I post 5 pages, then that button would lead to the first of those five pages)

I guess!
19th Jun 2017, 9:46 PM #7
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014
If your pages really are that short, might I suggest sticking two together once you're done to make a double-length page (using photoshop or something similar)?

At least, if you do decide to have a multiple pages per day thing.

Also, my general advice to anyone asking about how often they should post pages- always update LESS often than you produce pages on average. If you make 4 pages per typical week, post three. If you make two pages per typical month, post one every three weeks. Life happens at the most unexpected times- maybe you'll be swamped with other things, maybe you just want a vacation. Who knows, but you don't have to let it hurt your comic.
19th Jun 2017, 10:01 PM #8
Fnibble

I guess I could just stick a bunch of pages for one long page for a big update if there are too few panels per page.. that way i dont have to make multiple posts and confuse a reader with (wait did I miss something) when they click newest

i could probably add in the description links to the comics separately for fun.. good idea.

and yes ALWAYS having a buffer of comics is crucial sometimes!
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Help figuring out a schedule for page releases
Pages: [1]