Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Here We go again. This has to stop

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Here We go again. This has to stop
Pages: [1]

"Here We go again. This has to stop", 19th Jun 2017, 10:33 PM #1
defo18

Registration date: 18th Aug 2012
She was a mother of 5

Charleena was a pregnant black women who, was shot and killed by police. Now the reasoning for them killing her was that she had a knife in her hand. There is always an excuse. The woman had a knife in her hand to protect herself and kids because she reported to a burgular. The police show up and shoot HER. She and her unborn child are dead.

There are a bunch of things you can do before you shoot someone who was nonthreatening even with a knife. They could have tased her, told her to put it down, or tackled her.

But they killed her. They killed her in front of her kids. This story was very hard for me as I think of my mother whom is a black woman. She was killed in front of babies. Babies.

This sucks guys. I hate that this happens.

Just like I said in the Phillandro Castille thread Here I am terrified. As a black man I have a high chance of being brutalized and that shit is scary my friends.
19th Jun 2017, 11:27 PM #2
stinger9

Registration date: 16th Aug 2016
Looking at it, there are seems to be a lot of suggestion that somehow shooting her was the appropriate response. I think the problem goes beyond just the police, apparently some people just think the solution to everything is a gun, It really is disgusting. I'm sure we can expect another case of a guilty murderer walking away scot-free in the near future.
20th Jun 2017, 12:01 AM #3
Amphurious01

Registration date: 13th Oct 2015
That poor woman and her family. The worst part is that it's not even shocking or surprising anymore. They seriously couldn't just restrain and disarm her if they thought she was a threat? Just shoot and ask questions later? What a disgusting and cowardly display.
20th Jun 2017, 12:16 AM #4
SarahSophia

Registration date: 30th Oct 2015
It appears that she called the police. What did she expect was going to happen? The police are here to recruit people into slavery in the corporate prison system. Failing that they will kill you.

Edit: Sorry if my comment above came across harshly, but I've been repeatedly stopped by the police, illegally frisked, and handcuffed (and yes, then let go), for simply walking home from work at 2 in the morning. They've made threats of violence and terrified me, and I've had no recourse. I have no reason to believe the police have any sense of duty to anyone other than themselves and their masters.
20th Jun 2017, 12:58 AM #5
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
That is just plain sick. Even if the woman was threatening them, they did not have to kill her. She was outnumbered and brought a knife to a gunfight literally. She was clearly outmatched so they did not have to resort to taking her life like that. I want to support the police. I really do, but they need to clean up their act when it comes to stuff like that.
20th Jun 2017, 1:10 AM #6
SekaNeko543
yeah i got a usertitle. don't really care though
Registration date: 6th Nov 2016
Yeah, nah. this is fucked up.

I mean, stating the obvious here, but this is REALLY fucked up.

How do their brains work??? I mean even the most bigoted of racists wouldn't shoot a pregnant woman, but somehow here we are.

(Not saying that the other murders aren't horrible too, but this is just so far out into inhumanity that it's unreal. unreal in the bad sense.)
20th Jun 2017, 3:34 AM #7
Van Husk I
Official Age Monitor
Registration date: 31st Jul 2014
I would honestly need more details to make a call on this. Like a full breakdown report. Cops got called out, 'confronted' by her with a knife, mental health issues (like what? Certain mental issues can be perceived differently when someone has a knife.), what time did this take place, how far away were they when the shots were fired, etc. There's a lot more details that go into events like this and I simply can't jump on board one way or the other without having the full scoop. Does it suck? Hell yes. But that's about all I can say at the moment.
20th Jun 2017, 4:03 AM #8
defo18

Registration date: 18th Aug 2012
I understand that. But the information is there. The Seattle police department had a history with this women as they knew of her mental health.

I may have a stronger bias as I am African American as well. But as an African-American I can tell you this is not the first time and unfortunately not the last time something like this will happen. You see more more cases pop up in the mainstream now because back then we did not have smart phones to properly record this incident ourselves. This has been happening since slavery

I grew up with so many stories of my relatives or Friends of my relatives being brutalized by the police and treated unfairly by the judicial system. Police have even harassed me before. And with everyone of us is always the same excuse. Was either they were looking to threatening or look like a thug or the officer was fearful of his life or we matched the description . It's always the same.

And there are a bunch of statistics to back this up but I am too tired to postings at the moment I will tomorrow morning

But here's one I can give you off the top of my head.
Black people, especially males, are three times more likely to be shot and killed unarmed than their white counterparts
20th Jun 2017, 6:26 AM #9
LukaszZ
ComicFury Baby
Registration date: 16th Dec 2008
Whether she was holding a knife or not - she called for police, and the call was for basically home invasion, so it's reasonable that she would want to protect herself. Whether she "confronted" them with it will be the key to the case. Distance matters, if someone is 6ft from you vs 20ft is enough time to aim and shoot vs just shoot out of reaction. Again, I'm sure prosecution and defense will look into this. Unfortunately, as we all know - body cameras weren't on or some other sorry excuse.

I want to add: just because she had a history of mental illness doesn't mean she has episodes daily - she had kids. If she had mental issues, there's a high chance extended families would have done something about this and not let her endanger her kids. Besides, there are medications for things such as bipolar disorder or ADHD that help people live their daily lives. Bringing this up, while important detail in a court case - in terms of media reporting, I find it to be invasive and insulting. I don't care what her medical history is, it should not have been public knowledge.
Pages: [1]