Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Weird thing I want to host on ComicFury

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > ComicFury Problems, critique and suggestions > Weird thing I want to host on ComicFury
Pages: [1]

"Weird thing I want to host on ComicFury", 20th Jun 2017, 12:34 AM #1
Morgenstern
Fun-sized
Registration date: 17th Jun 2010
This is weird enough that I wasn't even sure what thread to ask about it in.

So, two things. First, ComicFury has been used to host a handful of not-quite-comics over the years. Unichat was the big one I remember, and I personally ran a serial fiction that was all text with no pictures (though it didn't get very far, but that's my fault).

Secondly, I write tabletop roleplaying games. A bit like Dungeons & Dragons, but easier to pick up.

I have a weird idea.

I want to make a serial, modular roleplaying game. The idea is that I would post the rules for anyone to pick up and play at their live tables--again, think D&D, but free and not in a book. But! Instead of pushing the whole game in book-sized chunks, as industry standard, I'd upload new classes/monsters/spells/whatever to the same site at a rate of one or two per week. There's a whole bunch of reasons I want to try this, not the least of which is that I can get real time input on the game. With a normal tabletop game, you spend like a year or more writing an entire book or PDF, people may or may not buy it, and are even less likely to review it or comment on it--and when they do, they review the whole thing. Stuff slips through the cracks.

If I do it one piece at a time, I don't have to come up with an entire splat books' worth of material to upload new content--I can just put up whatever I have whenever I have it, and people can talk about that SPECIFIC thing, right then. So if something sucks, I can change it without doing an entire reprint.

My question is: can I use ComicFury for this? I only ask because pretty much everything I could possibly need is already here. The update system, archiving, comments on posts, the whole nine. It wouldn't be any more resource intensive than a normal webcomic (actually much less so, since it'd mostly be text, not huge honkin' images or anything). It's an odd thing to be doing on a comic hosting site--it'd be odd anywhere, honestly--but ComicFury is the perfect setup for how I'm picturing it.

And apologies if I'm not explaining this very well, it's... a weird concept, even for people with familiar with tabletop roleplaying systems. I've been doing RPG books for years, and it was only in the last few days that all these pieces fell into place in my brain and I went "OH GEEZ I need to do this"
20th Jun 2017, 12:42 AM #2
Shrek
unabashed sycophant
Registration date: 10th Jan 2016
On the forums is much better than doing it in the comic. If you can think it then go for it.
20th Jun 2017, 12:46 AM #3
taikina

Registration date: 6th Mar 2016
tack an informative comic on each thing you add ;)
20th Jun 2017, 12:47 AM #4
Morgenstern
Fun-sized
Registration date: 17th Jun 2010
Shrek:On the forums is much better than doing it in the comic. If you can think it then go for it.

Ehh, I'd have no way to organize it if I dumped it all on the forums. I want people to be able to look at the archives for classes or dungeons or whatever of different categories, which I can do by the comic chapter arrangement.

edit: Nah, nevermind.
20th Jun 2017, 7:42 PM #5
Kyo
family life
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
for the record though, yeah you could