Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Critque Critque, It's all pointed in mundane directions!

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > Critque Critque, It's all pointed in mundane directions!
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"Critque Critque, It's all pointed in mundane directions!", 24th Jun 2017, 9:38 PM #1
Klivord

Registration date: 1st Apr 2017
I'am just leaving up a little complaint about people's complaints...no I do want criticism to use, just not what these people are doing.

All I ever get critiqued on is PAGE SIZE! And I have screamed over and over again that page size inst a problem on my comics if you just open the image in a new tab which is extremely easy to do!
I did get one other one about color but the thing is, all the criticism I have gotten is related to aesthetics and physical features, this means that I have no criticism about my actual characters and so I can't tell if people like my characters or not because they never say anything about them!
They never talk about story ark or character development or any sort of suspense or enjoyable or bad moments, they want to talk about what color I used for specific things. Its a comic not a single piece of art that was posted on DA.
To me, the story and characters should be the most important, so long as the visuals dont make you puke and you can tell who is who and what things are they shouldn't be more important than story.

So can someone here talk about characters please?

Mine? Theirs? Another persons? Any story based critique on anyone?

My Icon is T'rav from Life on Chesmo, and was drawn by halibabica
24th Jun 2017, 9:57 PM #2
level
Hard to tilt
Registration date: 18th Nov 2015
well, the image size thing I'd think is for the convenience of the reader so they don't have to scroll down. However on the color note between bright hard clashing colors and blank backgrounds it makes the pages a bit hard to look at, combine it with the size and you end up presenting your pages in a way new readers may not want to actually read due to the overall presentation.

no elitism in my statement, but the combination of things that're possible to change hurt your comics views and readers. I may or may not flip through later today to give feedback on the story, but if you want more readers to look over the story you have to immediately draw them via the visuals and what little they piece together as they start. But hey, up to you if you want to change that.

anyway, get back later on story, haven't looked at the word count but considering the pages seem on the simpler side there's probably quite a bit to go through

24th Jun 2017, 10:02 PM #3
Klivord

but it's also so easy to open the image in a new tab, and on ipad the problem doesnt exist in the first place, I don't see whats so hard about left clicking the image and cliking on one of the options.

24th Jun 2017, 10:09 PM #4
level
Hard to tilt
Rule #2181348 of the universe
:Humans are lazy, and we don't like being inconvenienced even to use your index finger to right click on an image and drag the mouse approximately 4-7 cm down to open the image in a new tab:

or an analogy

you can either go to restaurant A where they know what you want from you entering the door and budget it for you or restaurant B where you have to manually get up and pick out the food.
while it couldn't exist A would win cause people are lazy

Editing this next part in cause I'm also lazy and didn't put my finger on the reply button

I started to read through your story. it's sloppy and doesn't present itself well, paneling and text flow is a nightmare and personally I find your style to be unappetizing to the eye. The comic panels done by your friend/co person were okay but generally unless you were to completely overhaul and take more time to make your pages, aka, detail them and lay out the text in a sensical manner, maybe, just maybe it would draw more people to read.

during my short reading of about 25 pages, it was made clear that the comic is in space and, they're, furry. that's pretty much it, your main character is stuck with mr. fat funny man (story position on what he's suppose to be) and they're sent off to a planet to do something I couldn't decipher along with the majority of the comic. They went there to do ______ which I think was to determine if the species should continue to exist? Idk man, this story doesn't feel like a labor of love or anything, and if you want your story to be appreciated present it better, or, if you do not feel your art skills need to advance switch over to just writing. But until the presentation is improved whatever story there is cannot and will not be appreciated.

TL:DR

Improve your artstyle drastically and your paneling skills exponentially or your story will never be appreciated or understood. the beginning should clearly state the idea of the story, but yours doesn't, and ultimately fails to capture a reader.

24th Jun 2017, 10:10 PM #5
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
Consider this: it's also very easy to click 'back' or whatever link they want to visit next, and never read your comic again.

A webcomic has to compete against a ton of other things to keep the reader's attention. You want to keep the reading experience as hassle-free as possible. If it's more hassle than, say, watching a cat video on youtube, chances are a person may just decide to go watch more cat videos instead of continuing with your comic.

It's up to you if you choose to ignore that segment of readers, and cater to people who are willing to open the image in a new tab. Just be aware that will alienate a large number of people. Weigh the pros and cons of these things; see if the pros actually outweigh the cons in the context of your personal goal(s) for the comic.
24th Jun 2017, 10:11 PM #6
Klivord

level:Rule #2181348 of the universe
:Humans are lazy, and we don't like being inconvenienced even to use your index finger to right click on an image and drag the mouse approximately 4-7 cm down to open the image in a new tab:

or an analogy

you can either go to restaurant A where they know what you want from you entering the door and budget it for you or restaurant B where you have to manually get up and pick out the food.
while it couldn't exist A would win cause people are lazy

Should I painfully go back and fix each page or just do all the new pages differently?

Merged Doublepost:

keiiii:Consider this: it's also very easy to click 'back' or whatever link they want to visit next, and never read your comic again.

A webcomic has to compete against a ton of other things to keep the reader's attention. You want to keep the reading experience as hassle-free as possible. If it's more hassle than, say, watching a cat video on youtube, chances are a person may just decide to go watch more cat videos instead of continuing with your comic.

It's up to you if you choose to ignore that segment of readers, and cater to people who are willing to open the image in a new tab. Just be aware that will alienate a large number of people. Weigh the pros and cons of these things; see if the pros actually outweigh the cons in the context of your personal goal(s) for the comic.

So I'am only serving people who are more like me? I'd open in new tab

24th Jun 2017, 10:18 PM #7
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
Klivord:So I'am only serving people who are more like me? I'd open in new tab

Pretty much. There are a lot of similar decisions other people make, too. For example, someone who makes a comic that reads right to left is alienating readers who only want to read left to right. It's okay to make that kind of decisions, but you have to be aware there are cons to it.

(Hell, my own comic is an example since it's alienating people who hate vertical scroll comics. But it was an informed decision on my part, and I accept the consequences, good and bad.)
24th Jun 2017, 10:19 PM #8
level
Hard to tilt
btw klivord look back up to my post on laziness, I edited in some stuff

24th Jun 2017, 10:32 PM #9
Klivord

Well, I'am glad to finally hear that,
this is my first comic and it's bound to be at least half flaws,
and to be frank it was a labor of love...but also a labor of hate...hate towards things I didn't like the looks of...like humans.

But for the record you aren't supposed to really know it all yet- I purposely made it unclear what they were doing.

24th Jun 2017, 10:39 PM #10
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014
Here's the thing.

Right-clicking, opening in a new tab, and clicking over to that tab takes about 3 seconds. Closing the tab takes another second, for a total of 4. That's 4 extra seconds that I'd have to spend on each page that I wouldn't have to spend on another comic.

There are 31 pages in your archive. If I binged through your comic, it would take me two extra minutes to read your comic than it would to take another comic of the same length.

That may not seem like much now, but it adds up. Imagine if I had the option between reading through Datachasers (currently sitting at 1520 pages) or the exact same comic, but the pages are too big. If I chose the version where I had to open the pages in a new tab, that's over 1 1/2 extra hours spent just clicking.

- - - - -

And now, I have a question for you.

Why don't you want to resize your pages? Even the most basic image editors can do so, without messing with the original copy. And it would only be a few extra seconds per page.

Are you the sort of author who would force extra work onto your readers just so you don't have to do it yourself?

- - - - -

I also have a feeling that the reason people don't review your characters or story is that there are only 30 pages to review. How would you review a movie's story if you only get shown the first 10 minutes? Art, on the other hand, can be reviewed at any amount of material.

Also, although your comic's visuals "dont make you puke and you can tell who is who and what things are", it gets pretty dang close to all of those lines at times. People also have trouble reviewing your writing simply because your speech bubbles are placed so poorly.

Visuals can negatively affect the readability of a story, so don't pretend like people can just put them aside.
24th Jun 2017, 10:48 PM #11
Klivord

IT'S BECAUSE I CAN'T OKAY!
I don't know how to make it smaller without fucking it up

24th Jun 2017, 11:00 PM #12
Theta Sigma

Registration date: 5th Feb 2016
24th Jun 2017, 11:00 PM #13
snuffysam

Why didn't you just ask?

Not sure what programs you have on your computer, but this is the first thing that came up when I searched for a resizer online.

I tested one of my pages in there, and the quality is the same as when I resize in photoshop. Just choose your page, click "Continue", scroll to the section labeled "Resize Your Picture", select "Custom Size", and enter a width between 800 and 900 (leave the height blank). Then click the "I'm done" button and voila! Instant resize!
24th Jun 2017, 11:05 PM #14
Nyomi
Drum bum
Registration date: 15th Jun 2016
then... you ask people how to do something instead of screaming over a thread?

e: lol i was ninjad twice.
24th Jun 2017, 11:13 PM #15
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
Hahaha, this thread's pretty funny xD.

level:Rule #2181348 of the universe

Yeah major this, you know what would do you good man if your serious about it read some marketing and marketing psychology books, as well as UI/UX design. Start viewing yourself as a reader who has never seen or been invested in your comic before. Also realize comicfury's a relatively small community (good thing imo) but the downside is that not that many people here compared to other forums so don't expect TONS of feedback period.
25th Jun 2017, 12:12 AM #16
Klivord

Thanks, I'll resize for now on

Merged Doublepost:

Hey, actually, I think since Life on Chesmo is so short I'll try to resize the whole comic today!

25th Jun 2017, 12:54 AM #17
JasonD

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2016
Klivord:but it's also so easy to open the image in a new tab, and on ipad the problem doesnt exist in the first place, I don't see whats so hard about left clicking the image and cliking on one of the options.

you know how nobody on youtube reads the description on a video?
25th Jun 2017, 1:35 AM #18
Klivord

Damnit! apparently 1280 isnt much smaller than what I had it!
I'll resize again tomorrow I guess, atleast all the pages have normal text instead of handwritten now

25th Jun 2017, 3:29 AM #19
snuffysam

Yeah, like I said earlier- between 800 and 900 pixels wide. The Comic Fury uploader actually recommends you stay under 800, but nearly every computer display I've seen, even the ancient ones, can handle up to 900.
25th Jun 2017, 3:32 AM #20
Klivord

I resized all of Life on Chesmo...but I did it to 1280 I think, so instead of being fixed its just more managable than it was before, I'll try again another day...:(

Forum > Critique > Critque Critque, It's all pointed in mundane directions!
Pages: [1] [2] [3]