Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Anyone here use Comic Sans?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Anyone here use Comic Sans?
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"Anyone here use Comic Sans?", 15th Jul 2017, 3:17 AM #1
SinisterRabbit

Registration date: 21st Jul 2015
Comic Sans seem like a default font for comic dialogue lettering. So how many of you here use that font?

I don't. I'm just going to be a hipster and use Ebrima for my dialogue.

My Webcomic:
15th Jul 2017, 3:22 AM #2
Steven-Vincent

Registration date: 28th Apr 2015
Ew, no, don't like it.

I use Blambot's stuff. Digital Strip is nice, or Anime Ace.
15th Jul 2017, 3:26 AM #3
ooel

Registration date: 31st Jul 2014
I also use digital strip. those fonts are also free to use... unless you sell a comic using it ;(
comic sans just looks so ridiculous and tacky... and with more options out there, there's pretty much every reason in the world to avoid it.
15th Jul 2017, 3:29 AM #4
Nyomi
Drum bum
Registration date: 15th Jun 2016
It's generally a taboo to use Comic Sans. It's pretty awful. I saw a poster at Walmart that used comic sans all I could think was "Wow, really the picture of professionalism happening here." Then I took a picture and sent it to my art-y friends. Whoever made that poster had a pretty bad sense of graphic design overall (if I can tell you done hecked up, it's pretty bad) but the comic sans is what took the cake.

I wouldn't use comic sans, makes ya look unprofessional.

E: unprofessional isn't the word i want to use but I can't think of what the word is. :/ closest i've got.
15th Jul 2017, 3:39 AM #5
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
Comic sans is considered to have bad kerning, and is generally looked down upon. Some people have an irrational hatred of it, so I wouldn't use it (again).
15th Jul 2017, 4:24 AM #6
JasonD

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2016
Comic book Sans is a really good font. I used it once for my spongebob birthday party invitation cards. Nobody went to my party though, not even my parents.

A lot of popular webcomic artists also use comic sans too

15th Jul 2017, 4:27 AM #7
Kev

Registration date: 14th Oct 2015
I had to google what comic sans looks like. I don't hate it. I don't even see an issue with it. I'm curious why it's considered unprofessional and why people dislike it? Anyone? :-/
15th Jul 2017, 4:34 AM #8
WanderingJew
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
@Kev, it's considered too casual for a lot of comics, but I think this video explains it best.

Merged Doublepost:

Steven-Vincent:Ew, no, don't like it.

I use Blambot's stuff. Digital Strip is nice, or Anime Ace.

BLAMBOT MASTER TYPOGRAPHY RACE
15th Jul 2017, 4:35 AM #9
JasonD

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2016
Kev:I had to google what comic sans looks like. I don't hate it. I don't even see an issue with it. I'm curious why it's considered unprofessional and why people dislike it? Anyone? :-/

For me, it's not so much how disgusting it looks (it still looks disgusting), but how overused it is. It's the same thing when you use clipart for any project -- it's like you didn't give a shit.
15th Jul 2017, 4:49 AM #10
Morgenstern
Fun-sized
Registration date: 17th Jun 2010
Kev:I had to google what comic sans looks like. I don't hate it. I don't even see an issue with it. I'm curious why it's considered unprofessional and why people dislike it? Anyone? :-/

It being part of the default package of Windows everything means that it's used for... everything. Every church pamphlet. Every birthday party poster. Every "silly" work E-mail. Every time old people with no experience in design or art want something to look "fun," they use Comic Sans. Professionals tend to pick specific fonts for specific purposes; big, serious companies often pay outright for niche fonts. Comic Sans is available to anyone with a computer, and is the only default font that looks... like it does. So it gets used by old, out of touch stiffs trying to look like they're not old out of touch stiffs, and has been used that way for decades. Comic Sans has become ingrained in modern culture as the mark of an amateur, much like how the font Impact is now the DNA of memes. If you put words in Impact font under a picture of a cat, you will give people war flashbacks.

There's dozens and dozens of alternatives that are cleaner, easier to read, and don't make you look like a soccer mom advertising a garage sale.
15th Jul 2017, 6:10 AM #11
(-)_(.) kadaka!

Registration date: 30th Apr 2017
ooel:those fonts are also free to use... unless you sell a comic using it

Blambot says:
If you are an independent/small press comic creator, you may use Blambot free fonts in your comic book project--even if you are making money with your project--even if you use the fonts printed on merch in support of your comic. (This excludes Embedding, Webfont, and Redistributive use.) This is Blambot's way of supporting the independent comic community, and applies only to indie/small press comic book creators.
15th Jul 2017, 6:17 AM #12
The Letter M

Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
I used it for the first hundred and fifty pages or so of my comic. Apparently its an abominaton, if you listen to comic fury people. Just looks like a normal, casual font to me.

15th Jul 2017, 6:32 AM #13
Morgenstern
Fun-sized
Registration date: 17th Jun 2010
if you listen tocomic fury people

Why do folks do this? If you google "comic sans," the first three sites after the Wikipedia article are about people not liking Comic Sans, why you shouldn't use Comic Sans, and that there's better fonts to use than Comic Sans.

It is not some magical phobia exclusive to this site
15th Jul 2017, 11:10 AM #14
The Letter M

Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
This is the place I hear

Oh deary me, I couldn't possibly bear it

If it's in comic sans I SIMPLY WILL NOT read it.

15th Jul 2017, 11:27 AM #15
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
It's a class warfare I tell ya. All those fancy big bucks bourgeoisie comin' down here to gentrify our comic sans neighbourhoods.

15th Jul 2017, 11:44 AM #16
Guybrush20X6

Registration date: 22nd Aug 2011
Only for the obligatory Undertale joke.

15th Jul 2017, 12:13 PM #17
Steven-Vincent

Registration date: 28th Apr 2015
I don't like comic sans because I don't think it actually looks like comic book lettering in the comics I've read. Whereas digital strip, and several others from Blambot, do. That's my only reason for not liking it.
15th Jul 2017, 1:18 PM #18
Dodom
iiIIEEEHHEEEIIMM eeeeaaauuu hhYYYAaaaa
Registration date: 6th Sep 2009
I considered it for my next comic.
I find that a lot of fonts look wrong on 3-D comics and tried to figure out what would fit best. My conclusion was to rule out all fonts that would look right as a magasine's main font, because then my brain associates it with a caption and doesn't see it as part of the panel, as well as curly, script, and otherwise fancy letterings, because they clash too much with computer imagery's neatness.
I don't think I'll end up using Comic Sans, because I have a fairly exact mental image of what I want and it's a bit straighter and taller, but if I don't find something ideal, it's an adequate alternative.

And there's a side advantage to Comic Sans: by repelling the readers that let memes tell them what to hate, you're left with the readers that judge from what they actually see. :P
15th Jul 2017, 1:59 PM #19
Mr. Glasses

Registration date: 14th Apr 2017
No, because...

In all seriousness, I use Roboto.

漫画狂怒的地方
15th Jul 2017, 2:22 PM #20
WanderingJew
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
Lemme just scan a page from this book over here.. From Unnatural Talent by Jason Brubaker. He explains it pretty well.

Edit:
To illustrate this
Out of Line BB

vs
Comic Sans
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Anyone here use Comic Sans?
Pages: [1] [2] [3]