Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - How do you fight the reboot urge

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How do you fight the reboot urge
Pages: [1] [2]

"How do you fight the reboot urge", 16th Jul 2017, 3:38 PM #1
Rulerbrain
blew up the Gravy Train
Registration date: 9th Jun 2015
What it says on the tin. How do you stop yourself from thinking you need to start over again cause of poor quality at the beginning.

Actually, I'll tack on another question to that, If you think some of the stuff you did at the start of your comic might actually be a problem later (like, storywise or something) should you even fight it?
16th Jul 2017, 3:42 PM #2
Magravan
Ma-Ma-Magravan!
Registration date: 13th Oct 2009
I recognized that the people who were reading had invested in the world that was created, and would feel betrayed if I ripped the carpet out from under them.

On the art side, I also recognized that if we rebooted to showcase my artist's improvement, we'd end up in a perpetual state of rebooting after a certain amount of artist improvement.
16th Jul 2017, 3:56 PM #3
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
Registration date: 25th Jul 2015
I just look behind, see over 400 pages and say "No, not again. I won't do them again!"... So simply, fear of work is denying me doing reboot...
16th Jul 2017, 4:03 PM #4
revzet

Registration date: 23rd Jan 2014
I don't fight it LOL

The way I see it why should I waste time working on a story thats gonna always be below my current writing/art level? I'm not getting paid, this isn't a job its a hobby. And if I'm unhappy doing it, why continue?

On the other end, don't get caught in a reboot loop. Don't jump into a story until you've put so much work into it that the thought of starting over makes you wanna lay in bed for a few hours with a gallon of ice cream.

Reboots aren't bad, but should be used wisely.
16th Jul 2017, 4:06 PM #5
Coolcatcomics
saves the kids
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2016
i started redoing the beginning, not changing the plot so much it affects the whole story just making it make more sense and be better lol, but it's just a side project, i still focus on just continuing it

mostly i just edit or redo the worst pages, i don't think a lot of it needs to be completely done again
image image image image
me being cool and handsome on other websites (advance at own risk)
16th Jul 2017, 4:36 PM #6
Kevtrev

Registration date: 31st Oct 2015
Rulerbrain:Actually, I'll tack on another question to that, If you think some of the stuff you did at the start of your comic might actually be a problem later (like, storywise or something) should you even fight it?

Yeah, I think the only reason you should ever reboot is if there's a mistake in the writing, like you wrote yourself into a corner and can't really find a good way out. All the reboots I've done myself happened because I kept trying to wing it and failing at that, instead of planning out the story properly.

Anything we ever make will always be lower quality at first and then (hopefully) improve, so rebooting for that reason only results in a pointless endless cycle.
16th Jul 2017, 4:47 PM #7
heckos

Registration date: 21st Nov 2014
I redrew my first chapter, which was also the shortest so far. It was drawn super sloppily and at the time I had tried to update every single day and do pages digitally. It was a mess, and when I switched to my current pencils and paper approach there was a huge dissonance between (messy) colored digital and b&w traditional so I decided I owed it to myself and the comic to have a halfway decent looking first chapter.

Even though I would really like to have a better looking chapter two, I've resisted because that's where I'd fall into the reboot cycle. I've resigned myself to just hoping readers see my author's comments explaining that the drop in quality isn't permanent.

Rebooting isn't bad, but also letting go and moving forward isn't bad either. It's really up to the artist and what they feel is best for them.
16th Jul 2017, 5:01 PM #8
SarahSophia

Registration date: 30th Oct 2015
revzet:Reboots aren't bad, but should be used wisely.

At first I read that as "Robots aren't bad, but should be used wisely.", and I totally agree!

As for the original question: I'd only consider rebooting if you are changing multiple things. Yes, we've rebooted, but, it wasn't just over art.
16th Jul 2017, 5:11 PM #9
Stampar

Registration date: 11th Jan 2017
Nothing will ever be perfect, so imo rebooting should only happen in specific cases (certain pages that look terribly wrong, typos, tweakings to the general pace/exposition here and there, although the later might be seen as cheap by the readers...).

It's cool to see a comic evolve with time, so I see nothing wrong if the art is sloppy at first but then gets better (the simpsons for instance). Even the opposite can happen and there's nothing extremely wrong either (think of Shin chan, art getting lazier each season...).

If anything a total reboot might have its place long after the story is complete. Like a movie/game remake. But to keep readers waiting for months for the story to advance is not very cool, i'd say.
16th Jul 2017, 5:14 PM #10
Pip
코카콜라
Registration date: 27th Dec 2015
I just try to keep in mind that most people expect webcomics to change/improve over time. It's very common for people to look at the most recent page of a comic before deciding to read it. They aren't going to refuse to read it solely on the basis of the first few pages being bad, unless they're really, truly, egregiously bad. Or if they see a total lack of improvement.

If you're really sure that you could reboot, and fix 100% of the art and story problems, and never ever feel the urge to reboot again, then go ahead. But most of the time, you'll just notice new problems, and feel the urge to do another reboot. I don't think the urge ever disappears. So I try to just channel the urge into improving, not into restarting.
16th Jul 2017, 5:49 PM #11
Darkwes

Registration date: 22nd Nov 2010
Well, I had to 'fight' that many times and kind of lost all battles until now... because I've rebooted my comic Densetsu many times before even start publishing it, I've changed it's media, added/removed characters and rewrote personal stories for the past years, most of the main characters were created about 10 years ago. So I may have done all the reboots I needed already (or maybe not, only time will tell) lol
So my not so useful advice is to keep rebooting your story before publishing it until you're satisfied with it.
16th Jul 2017, 6:05 PM #12
loyaldog
Man's best acquaintance
Registration date: 14th Feb 2017
At this point, I'm in too deep. If I wanted to reboot something, I'd have to reboot EVERYTHING.

That's not to say I haven't desperately wanted to redo some of my older stuff, though. It'd just take way too long to redraw my old comics while trying to keep up my schedule of posting a new comic every week. I think I'd lose interest pretty quickly.

It's really tempting, but it's easy to fall into an "everything needs to be perfect" trap. If there are extremely glaring story-impacting flaws in your earlier stuff, then go ahead and redo them. Otherwise, I don't think it's worth it.
16th Jul 2017, 6:15 PM #13
Rulerbrain
blew up the Gravy Train
Kevtrev:Yeah, I think the only reason you should ever reboot is if there's a mistake in the writing, like you wrote yourself into a corner and can't really find a good way out. All the reboots I've done myself happened because I kept trying to wing it and failing at that, instead of planning out the story properly.

I wouldn't say I've wrote myself into a corner, hell even if I did start over page 11 and onward would be more or less the same as now. Its just those first 10 pages, There's one plot point I think might be a problem later. And I've thought up a better intro, just not sure if its worth starting over
16th Jul 2017, 6:23 PM #14
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
Why not just redo the first 10 pages in that case? That's sort of what I did with mine, the second time around (first time was an actual reboot).
16th Jul 2017, 6:33 PM #15
Rulerbrain
blew up the Gravy Train
Thats probably the smart option, but damnit the OCD part of me would just keep nagging and be like "you fixed the first ten with better art, why didn't you do the rest you lazy fuck"

And the pages after 10 would be more or less like now, but I could make a few minor changes like renaming that stupid truck
16th Jul 2017, 7:39 PM #16
SkepticalDemon

Registration date: 8th May 2016
In my (limited) experience, art evolution is actually so cool to see in a comic. The story and art develop side by side and it shows how far you've come. As far as continuity is concerned... I dunno about that one. :p
But I'd say maybe finish the original run of the comic and then reboot it?
I stop myself from rebooting old work by pacing myself and looking forward to future story arcs. :)
16th Jul 2017, 7:44 PM #17
Steven-Vincent

Registration date: 28th Apr 2015
Well... I have not had a problem with the story so far, thankfully, that has made me want to reboot.

Art-wise, I have changed rendering engines so the later issues (3 and up) look better than 1 and 2. I could go back and re-shoot them with the new renderer but that would take like, a year, and I judge it as not worth it.
16th Jul 2017, 8:18 PM #18
Van Husk I
Official Age Monitor
Registration date: 31st Jul 2014
I misread the title as "how do you fight the robot urge" which reminded me of this one terrifying time I ate some mushrooms and was thoroughly convinced that I was actually an android that had gotten too comfortable thinking I was human so the robot part of me was running the squishy parts of me through a salad spinner to extract the useless emotions, meat and guts leaving behind only the cold steel of my true self.

But now I realize that you said reboot. As someone who is currently in the middle of a reboot I have no ground to give my opinion though.
16th Jul 2017, 8:39 PM #19
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Van Husk I:As someone who is currently in the middle of a reboot I have no ground to give my opinion though.

Far from it, Sempai. You can share what led you to make that decision.
16th Jul 2017, 9:00 PM #20
monkeyking
did not write shakespeare, but dope webcomics
Registration date: 18th Nov 2016
re: i don't

i've restarted 3 times since like 2011

it can be good sometimes but
determination helps if you shouldnt
seeing a project till its end
i scrapped the first two times because the story wasnt going where i wanted it to
third time i scrapped it because i wanted to do the comic in full color
you learn a lot as an artist each time

now i'm forcing myself to stick w/ this project or im not allowed to do another comic Ever unless i finish this