Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - dumb things you do for your comic

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > dumb things you do for your comic
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"dumb things you do for your comic", 11 days ago, 8:12 PM #1
keltyzoid!
Unless something better's on TV!
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
i just sat down, researched average 1BR1BA apartment rental prices in Pennsylvania and calculated the average monthly cost of utilities including gas, electricity, and internet, Pennsylvania's tax rate, and the average cost of most food items and calculated how much one of my characters earns from a full-time retail assistant manager position, how much is subtracted through taxes, and how much of her monthly earnings would go towards rent and utilities.

like, it's never discussed or acknowledged much in script, but here i am fuckin' practically organizing a fictional person's checkbook and managing their finances because god knows that's what everyone reading this story is dying to know

please post about the kind of inane shit you guys do for your comic, i'm begging you
11 days ago, 8:17 PM #2
Shirokuro
fire starter
Registration date: 14th Feb 2015
How about making ANOTHER comic with the same plot, that will take about the same time to make, just to find out what another character was thinking through the other original comic...? O___O
11 days ago, 8:26 PM #3
Aran_Froggatt

Registration date: 18th Apr 2016
Standing in self made crop circles in the middle of the night. Wearing nothing but tinfoil. Screaming for the moon-men to take me already so I can learn their ways.

I 3D modelled the archdruid's head office before I drew it first. And had pages of lore for the various subraces, sketches upon sketches, as well as history of the race and a bunch of other stuff. But that's a typical level of planning, right? Besides the 3d modelling, I assume?
Hell, I think I lost that file, actually..
11 days ago, 8:43 PM #4
MST3KFan

Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
Well... most recently for my current story arc, I spent hours trying to basically find "big mansions in Texas" for my main character's parents to be living it to show they freaking insanely rich.

I then found one I liked and then proceeded to try and find it on Google Maps, which I succeeded at somehow finding AND it had a street view of the mansion to allow me a shot that fit perfectly for one panel scene.

11 days ago, 8:48 PM #5
JasonD

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2016
Learning how to skate. Also spraining my wrist and screaming like a bitch. Still can't draw shit without pain.
11 days ago, 8:50 PM #6
QuietClayton

Registration date: 16th Apr 2014
Often I need incidental characters for different parts of the comic, but after I sketch them I always sit down and create a backstory for them sometimes as far reaching as who their parents were and what school they went to when they were kids. Now I have history for at least 12 characters that possibly will never show up in the comic again, but I just can't NO make a history for them.

..I need help I think.
11 days ago, 8:55 PM #7
Demonicplant
-273.15 °C
Registration date: 24th Aug 2015
Playing with two pencils to figure out how to choreograph a battle
11 days ago, 8:55 PM #8
Text
formerly Seeen
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
QuietClayton:Often I need incidental characters for different parts of the comic, but after I sketch them I always sit down and create a backstory for them sometimes as far reaching as who their parents were and what school they went to when they were kids. Now I have history for at least 12 characters that possibly will never show up in the comic again, but I just can't NO make a history for them.

..I need help I think.

I'm the same way. I have to consciously stop myself from writing subplots about what were supposed to be background characters.

This might be why I can never seem to get past the planning stage...
11 days ago, 8:59 PM #9
halibabica
got a booty
Registration date: 18th Jan 2014
Since mine is based on an open-source computer game, sometimes I have to go digging in the code to fact check stuff that probably doesn't matter. Sometimes I even have to alter the code to get desired random results, or crunch numbers from formulas buried here and there. It's among the nerdiest things I do.
11 days ago, 9:07 PM #10
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
(New project not beyond:)
Calculating when every single event in the comic would happen over a span of 13 years so that there's enough time for everything, every character is an appropriate age, political stuff has the time to snowball... There was this one little super tightly packed bit in the middle that was an absolute nightmare to make work, down to months. Also designing almost all of the prominent characters' different outfits and designs. Some of the characters are royalty, some start out as children. So yup that's a lot of designs.
11 days ago, 9:15 PM #11
thewotartmonkey
Blimpmaster
Registration date: 16th Aug 2013
I remember wandering around my student flat a few years ago, taking note of the proportions of everything compared to me because my character-to-background proportions sucked and that was the best way I could think to work it out. One of the reasons Jon is short is so I could use myself as a reference for stuff like this. If a door handle reaches my solar plexus, it reaches Jon's too. That's how I work it out.

I spent SO long looking up how to bet on roulette just to make the chips on a single panel make sense. That was not worth it. No one cares, and I'm pretty sure the chips didn't make sense anyway.

Pulling faces in my webcam for reference...

I installed Snapchat and made an account just to get an idea of what it looks like so I could make a joke in a future page.

I googled what kind of razor you should use if you have acne-prone skin so that if I ever properly draw the guys' bathroom I'll know what kinds of razors I should draw around the sink (and I still don't have a decent answer yet--electric razor or not??)

I mostly google things I personally would never need.
11 days ago, 9:16 PM #12
The Doodler

Registration date: 9th Sep 2010
Pulling off the highway to get pictures of grain elevators. Digging into Orthodox Christianity including going to the odd service. Making elaborate line graphs of a fictional army's reaction to PR.
11 days ago, 9:26 PM #13
ShadowLillium

Registration date: 4th Apr 2014
I have researched a ton of "Do It Yourself" videos ranging from "Steps to plant Wheat to get your own bread," How to survive and make shelters in cold climates, to how to make ink. It isn't so much to be accurate for a medieval like setting, but to add those details for character traits and knowing how things operate. My history has also led me to how to fight with spears and pikes, to ribbon dart attacks, which just led me to watching a bunch of self defense courses and social engineering to manipulate and even avoid conflict for trickster characters. Needless to say, it's been bizarre learning some of these things, but it has also been great too. I know now how to make bread,yeast, butter, and cheese, completely from scratch. o____o;;
11 days ago, 9:29 PM #14
Zanreo
Lazer Lady
Registration date: 5th May 2014
I've googled stuff like "how tall is kojima" so I knew how tall to draw him next to another character (even if my characters mostly just have an "eh about this tall i guess" height), and what the text message screen of Sony phones look like so I could make Sony's phone screen look right. gotta get those details right

I also once had to redraw a controller since I made a joke about the old, huge original Xbox controller... but had referenced the redesign, which looks slightly different aside from just size.
11 days ago, 9:34 PM #15
GoodOlFox

Registration date: 28th Dec 2016
I don't really go too in-depth with story elements for my comics at the moment, but I might get more into the research part of creating a story based around something with a future story. As for character design that's a different matter. Let's just say I told a friend of mine I was thinking about drawing anthropomorphic dragon characters, he gave me a site to check out, but forgot to tell me how to set filters when searching.... yeah, not my fondest memory of making my story.

"No Queso, No Bueno."
11 days ago, 9:38 PM #16
khkddn
dsg54 hfköäü %$& ♣♦♦❄
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
To really understand a character's height, I have to put a ruler on top of my head and pretend that's where my eyes are. Sometimes I need two rulers
11 days ago, 9:57 PM #17
Jean_Q_Citizen

Registration date: 21st Oct 2015
Pay like a sixth of every paycheck I get to pay my artist so I can actually have a comic in the first place...
11 days ago, 10:03 PM #18
keltyzoid!
Unless something better's on TV!
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
thewotartmonkey:I remember wandering around my student flat a few years ago, taking note of the proportions of everything compared to me because my character-to-background proportions sucked and that was the best way I could think to work it out. One of the reasons Jon is short is so I could use myself as a reference for stuff like this. If a door handle reaches my solar plexus, it reaches Jon's too. That's how I work it out.

oh god i did this too, went around my house measuring all my furniture to see how it could compare in size to my larger characters

it's useful but you look like a weirdo doing it :T
11 days ago, 10:13 PM #19
WanderingJew
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
Going to backwater French sites about gendarmes because the offical websites won't tell me the information I want to know, then having to rapidly re-learn enough French to be able to read such sites, all in an effort to find out if each district of the Parisian police have their own special patches, only to find out that no, they don't have special patches for each Parisian district.

Then, spending hours on said sites, looking at uniforms and how different they can all be based on occasion and ranking, only to end up drawing the damn uniform wrong anyways.

Also, I spend a lot of time flying around Google Earth and Google maps, looking for cool locations to draw that would be story-relevant, but then either laziness kicks in or the images are distorted and then I no longer have a sense of scale. Luckily my boys are giants anyways.

Edit: I forgot to mention, learning enough about Goetic magic that I could theoretically be considered a practicing witch at this point.
10 days ago, 4:41 PM #20
monoushi

Registration date: 27th Dec 2015
Researching medical law, cultural aspects/history of various countries, CV templates for jobs, medical referral sheets for patients, medicines used for chronic pain/amnesia/PTSD/Depression/Anxiety (this differs country to country I believe), recovery articles from people who suffer from accident-related amnesia (this should be obvious hehe) interview transcripts of social workers and their experiences working in the field, menus from random cafes/restaurants, PTSD recovery articles.