Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Knives of Bone (D&D Play-by-Post)

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Forum games > Knives of Bone (D&D Play-by-Post)
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [7]

"Knives of Bone (D&D Play-by-Post)", 21st Jul 2017, 2:41 PM #1
BMR

User avatar
Posts: 150
Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
Location: The Third World
In the background, the torches flicker, sending ghosts of shadows and light dancing across the wall in a macabre waltz. There are tables here and there, and people of all types drink away their sorrows or simply stare into nothingness.

Welcome to Silver's Bar.

Here, individuals gather when they've fallen low enough that the dregs of society want nothing more to do with them. The destitute, the desolate, the downtrodden. Sooner or later, they find their way here to the back-alley of the city gutters.

And here, you can always find someone to do something, for a price.

And it is here, at one table, that you've gathered to talk about a job.

The man sitting at the head of the table has his cowl up, but he can just make out his features. By his looks, he comes from somewhere to the south in the Dominion. He is clean-shaven, and has a hard, haunted look about him. His cloak is travel-worn, placing doubt upon whether or not he even has the coin to pay. But a look at the fine sword on his hip gives a hint that there might be more to him than it would seem.

He speaks:

image
Hooded Man:Well, now that we've all gathered, shall we discuss the job?






Righto, so let's get this show on the road. For this game, you're a bunch of folks down on your luck and slumming it in the big city. You've heard of a job opportunity, and have gathered at Silver's Bar to learn about it. To get started, go ahead and roll up some characters based on the following:

Rules

Righto, so this is going to be a play-by-post campaign. By its very nature, things might be a bit slow, but I'll do my best to keep the pace going at a steady chop. By the same token, I'll expect everyone participating to try to post regularly and to not keep the others waiting. If someone doesn't post, and the game requires that their character take an action, I will take control of that character and NPC him/her if the player does not post within 2 days.

Also, by the nature of play-by-post, it's a bit difficult to keep track of the nitty gritty. To help with that, I require that everyone have either a Myth Weavers or a Tangled Web sheet (or something similar) that I can easily refer to. Another thing with the nitty gritty, is dice rolls. As we don't have a dice roll functionality here, I'll be taking care of all dice rolls and stuff on my side. All those dice rolls include the usage of skills, combat rolls, etc...

When posting, I expect that you'll always post in-character here. Describe what your character is doing, write out dialogue as if you were speaking, etc... If you're going to post OOC stuff, then be sure to do it in a spoiler.

Lastly, I very strongly believe in Story Trumps Rules. While we will still follow the rules, this will be more strongly a narrative based game, with storytelling and interaction being the key.

Lastly, let's try to keep this thread for the campaign. For metagame discussion or OOC chat, use this thread instead.



Character Creation

For people who are familiar with D&D:



For people new to D&D:
_______________________
image
21st Jul 2017, 5:00 PM #2
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
User avatar
Posts: 3436
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
Location: Englishland
Awesome, will get this done probably tomorrow.
_______________________
image
22nd Jul 2017, 1:20 AM #3
Text
Honey coated man's best acquaintance
User avatar
Posts: 10728
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
Any, but LG might be harder to pull off


How do you rule LG? I like playing LG sometimes, or at least Lawful, but I generally avoid it because of the attitudes of a lot of DMs.

I dunno how you rule, but I've always considered Lawful to be something of a misnomer; a character can have a Lawful alignment and still have no respect for Laws. That's generally how Lawful Evil characters work; they don't care about the laws themselves so much as their personal principles and a general sense of structure. Would that hold true for a Lawful Good character, or would you challenge the alignment if they were to break some law?
_______________________
what have you done for net neutrality?
22nd Jul 2017, 2:38 AM #4
BMR

User avatar
Posts: 150
Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
Location: The Third World
[EDIT: Moved to other thread]
_______________________
image
22nd Jul 2017, 4:13 PM #5
xianyu118
Future University Graduate
User avatar
Posts: 4073
Registration date: 6th Aug 2012
Location: The Endless Cold Between Worlds
OOC:


IC:
There was a dog right outside Silver's Bar, but Aleksey moved past it into the taproom without giving it a second glance - dogs like it were a dime a dozen here, and even more so were the faded, skinny ones, ridden with some disease like mange or fleas. But if he had paid some attention, he'd have notice that the animal was a good indication of the clients inside - eerily quiet, filthy, and dripping with despondence. Trying to drown their past and present in drink, with varying degrees of success.

As Aleksey stepped inside, the stench hit him like a jackhammer, an odd mixture of alcohol, food and vomit, and along with it came a wave of nausea which he fought down. Aiming to distract himself, he took a cursory look at his surroundings - the various individuals gathered around the tables, the dim lighting and the odd prone body leaning against the wall. He had no wish to check if it was still breathing. Yet.

"Gods..." he muttered, casting another glance round the tables. "Now, where are you?"

Ah. That table over there, half-hidden by the lighting. Man in green cloak, with his hood up. Hopefully he did have a job that paid well in coin - Aleksey was digging into his reserves currently - and potentially something more important. A thread that he could follow that might lead to his brother.

Ignoring the bar, Aleksey carefully stepped over a drunk as he made his way to the table, introduced himself and sat down. There were quite a number of people who had not made their appearance yet.
_______________________
Avatar done by argylefox. Everything's on hiatus, I'm writing essays.
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
22nd Jul 2017, 4:21 PM #6
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
User avatar
Posts: 3436
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
Location: Englishland
OOC: sorry, i'm probably gonna drop out. haven't done this in a while, and i just kinda spent the morning feeling confused.
_______________________
image
22nd Jul 2017, 4:25 PM #7
BMR

User avatar
Posts: 150
Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
Location: The Third World
OOC
_______________________
image
24th Jul 2017, 9:59 PM #8
Reaper Dragon
🐉
User avatar
Posts: 1988
Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
Location: Scotland
Grathbane sat down. Or rather found himself sitting. He spotted the table and inconspicuously slipped through the crowd. Not a hard feat for a small guy. He sat there silently clapping a chicken on his knee when the others noticed him and turned to look. He hid the string he was using as a leash for the chicken unwilling to appear as though he may have been mistreating the bird. It pecked the edge of the table gently as though through curiosity rather than an attempt to eat it. He gave a nervous smile. Grathbane not the chicken.
"Um, hi?"
He needed the coin as well as his want for life experience and a chance to explore. This suited him well.
He sat back to make him appear less unimpressive and the multiple hilts became more apparent.
_______________________
"You seem like a nice enough follow -- and not a bloodthirsty psychopath. People who aren't bloodthirsty psychopaths are my favourite, you know"

"I thought “Unicorn Butt Patrol” would get more traction in the comments on the prior page, but as per usual on the Internet, everyone wanted to talk about physics instead"
25th Jul 2017, 3:42 PM #9
joeyballast
decked out
User avatar
Posts: 785
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
The skinny halfling sat. He let out a huffy sigh and leaned back.

"I bet on black. Never bet on black."

The halfling's distinct lack of belly visibly rumbled.

"Job sounds great is what I'm sayin'."
_______________________
image
28th Jul 2017, 2:28 AM #10
BMR

User avatar
Posts: 150
Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
Location: The Third World
The man takes a pipe out from his cloak and begins to smoke it.

He speaks:

image
Hooded Man:Right. Let's begin. As you have heard, I have a job for you. It's nothing too fancy, I just need you to go in, and get out. You'll be retrieving a certain item for me. The item was originally mine, but a thief stole it from me. The only problem is, that item is within a temple of Avacor, specifically, in the catacombs beneath the temple.


He reaches into his cloak once more and produces a small statue. The statue looks to be made of bronze, and is in the shape of a woman holding a sword in the air.

Hooded Man:As you can imagine, not everyone has access to the catacombs. That is where I come in. You will take this item, and it will teleport you to some place within the catacombs. This is a one-way trip though, at least until you retrieve the item I am asking for, at which point this statue will teleport you back.

While in the catacombs, you can activate this statue at will. Hold it steady in your hand, and focus on it. When you do, she will point her sword in the direction of the item I am looking for. Follow the statue, retrieve the item, and bring it back to me.

Any questions?




Skill Roll (Knowledge (Religion)) DC 10
• Fosco: 7 (d20) + 0 (Ranks) + 3 (INT mod) = 10 (SUCCESS!)
• Grathbane: 7 (d20) + 1 + 0 (Ranks) + (INT mod) = 8 (FAILURE)
• Aleksey: 15 (d20) + 0 (Ranks) + 2 (INT mod) = 17 (SUCCESS!)




Skill Roll (Knowledge (Religion)) DC 18
• Fosco: 12 (d20) + 1 (Ranks) + 2 (WIS mod) = 15 (FAILURE)
• Grathbane: 2 (d20) + 0 (Ranks) + 1 (WIS mod) = 3 (FAILURE)
• Aleksey: 19 (d20) + 0 (Ranks) + 2 (WIS mod) + 2 (Misc Mod) = 23 (SUCCESS!)



This is how we'll be taking care of skill rolls. I'll do the rolls on my side, and I'll post the results. If your character is successful on the roll, you're allowed to see what's in the spoiler. If your roll is a failure, no peeking!
_______________________
image
28th Jul 2017, 8:29 AM #11
xianyu118
Future University Graduate
User avatar
Posts: 4073
Registration date: 6th Aug 2012
Location: The Endless Cold Between Worlds
IC:
Aleksey's two colleagues for this job were an interesting pair - a halfling, with a penchant for the art of gambling judging from his words, and...a man bristling with weapons, along with a chicken. A chicken. He blinked, unsure if his eyes were playing tricks on him. It was indeed a chicken.

He blinked again, looking away from the very-prepared chicken herder, and turned his attention back to his would-be employer. On the surface it was a simple retrieval job - get in, get the item (whatever it was), and get out with as few scrapes and bruises as possible. But something in the back of Aleksey's head twinged - there was something about this man that didn't sit too right with him.

Avacor's catacombs...now what would a thief be hiding their spoils there? Granted, not many people had any excuse or desire to go digging about the final resting places of the dead. And how did the man sitting across from Aleksey procure something that could get them straight into the catacombs? He briefly glanced at the halfling and chicken-man, but none of them seemed to have any of their suspicions roused. Perhaps he was overthinking it - picking up signals where there were none, with that hope for more leads on Rob's fate...

Still, Aleksey shifted uncomfortably in his seat, disguising the movement as an excuse to reach for the statue. "Do you mind if I take a look?"

Magical devices weren't his forte, so his survey of the statue was cursory at best. Bronze, cast from a mold, perhaps?

"I don't suppose you could tell us what the item looks like?" he asked, setting it back down on the table. "It might make it a bit easier."
_______________________
Avatar done by argylefox. Everything's on hiatus, I'm writing essays.
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
28th Jul 2017, 9:13 AM #12
BMR

User avatar
Posts: 150
Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
Location: The Third World
The man nods and says:

image
Hooded Man:A reasonable enough question. The item I need retrieved is similar to this one. The difference though, is that while this woman holds a sword, the other holds a shield. They are nothing more than trinkets, but they have sentimental value and I would like to see my collection restored to completion.






Skill Roll (Spot) DC 15

•Aleksey: 14 + 2 (Ranks) + 2 (WIS mod) - 1 (Misc mod) = 17 (SUCCESS!)

_______________________
image
28th Jul 2017, 3:23 PM #13
joeyballast
decked out
User avatar
Posts: 785
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
The halfling stood on his chair, as is tradition when seated at a big-folk table.

"What's the pay?"
_______________________
image
28th Jul 2017, 3:50 PM #14
BMR

User avatar
Posts: 150
Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
Location: The Third World
The man replies:

image
Hooded Man:100,000 gold pieces, paid in gems. It will be up to you to divide it amongst yourselves. In addition, you are free to keep whatever loot you find in there. Many nobles are buried within the catacombs, along with plenty of their wealth, be it in the form of paintings, magical trinkets, or what have you. As you won't be entering through the front door, nor will you be leaving that way, it will be possible to make off with quite the haul, so long as you're not too squeamish about grave-robbing.


_______________________
image
28th Jul 2017, 4:06 PM #15
joeyballast
decked out
User avatar
Posts: 785
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
"Welp, can't think of any reason to say no! Fosco tires of life, after all. You throw in dinner (like, RIGHT NOW) and I'm in!"
_______________________
image
28th Jul 2017, 4:17 PM #16
BMR

User avatar
Posts: 150
Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
Location: The Third World
The man eyes Fosco for a moment, then says:

image
Hooded Man:Hmm, very well then.


He then raises his hand and snaps. A man walks over and the hooded man speaks to him. He then leaves, and a few moments later returns with a plate piled with slices of meat and vegetables.

Hooded Man:Enjoy. Now, are there any further questions? Or are you ready to depart as soon as you finish your meal?

_______________________
image
28th Jul 2017, 8:11 PM #17
Reaper Dragon
🐉
User avatar
Posts: 1988
Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
Location: Scotland
What spells or traps are known to be in there?
I'm getting the feeling some skeletons won't like grave robbers.
_______________________
"You seem like a nice enough follow -- and not a bloodthirsty psychopath. People who aren't bloodthirsty psychopaths are my favourite, you know"

"I thought “Unicorn Butt Patrol” would get more traction in the comments on the prior page, but as per usual on the Internet, everyone wanted to talk about physics instead"
29th Jul 2017, 12:29 AM #18
joeyballast
decked out
User avatar
Posts: 785
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
Das a good question.

Omnomnom...
_______________________
image
29th Jul 2017, 12:53 AM #19
BMR

User avatar
Posts: 150
Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
Location: The Third World


image
Hooded Man:Ah yes, skeletons. There will be quite a few there, the temple uses them to guard the catacombs. Still, if you're careful, you should be able to avoid them. Or, failing that, turn them into piles of bones. As for traps, as far as I know that temple does not add any to the catacombs. The nobles who are interred there though, that's a different matter. They might very well have their tombs trapped, but that would depend on the individual noble.

_______________________
image
29th Jul 2017, 3:49 PM #20
xianyu118
Future University Graduate
User avatar
Posts: 4073
Registration date: 6th Aug 2012
Location: The Endless Cold Between Worlds
IC:
The statue could do with a bit of closer examination later. For now, Aleksey pushed all unnecessary thoughts to one side and focused on the discussion, which had turned to the practicalities and hazards of the job at hand.

"That's an...interesting sum," he said, shifting slightly away from the halfling as he began to dig into his dinner. From the looks and sound of it, he hadn't had a good meal in quite a while now - which reminded Aleksey that he himself was in need of some food, too. "You must be quite the collector."

Though the pay itself didn't seem to be exactly what he was looking for - never put too much faith in a rumor, that was basic knowledge that he forgot - the monetary sum more than made up for it. Especially for a (hopefully) (mostly) simple retrieval job that involved some minor tomb-raiding and skeletal guards. For Aleksey, this wasn't too much of a problem, though some part of him did twinge at the thought. But a job was a job, and the dead were most likely not using any of their grave goods in this world.

For a moment he was silent, thinking. "I don't think I have any other questions, other than one about your name." he eventually added, casting a brief glance at the bar. "It would be easier to contact you when we get back."
_______________________
Avatar done by argylefox. Everything's on hiatus, I'm writing essays.
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
Forum > Forum games > Knives of Bone (D&D Play-by-Post)
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [7]