Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Making money with webcomics.

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Introductions > Making money with webcomics.
Pages: [1]

"Making money with webcomics.", 24th Jul 2017, 11:51 AM #1
LindaComics78

Registration date: 1st May 2016
Greetings, I am Linda Lee the artist of Adventures of Cool Turtle.
I have a question, would comic readers pay to read webcomics?
24th Jul 2017, 12:02 PM #2
JasonD

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2016
If you're sponsored by a good reputable publisher, yeah probably.

If you're by yourself with no networks or connections, probably not.
24th Jul 2017, 12:47 PM #3
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Generally speaking, no... break out the merch!
24th Jul 2017, 12:49 PM #4
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
Welcome to the CF!

To answer your question...... No.

From what I've seen, the majority of web comic artists get money from commissions and doing bonus material for Patrons (Patreon.com) or from kickstarting and selling books. Gocomics.com is a comic strip syndication that pays for content, but we're talking professional level popularity , like Calvin and Hobbs, and Awkward Yeti.
Money on webcomics seems to be ad based. and I don't see the model changing any time soon. You could look at Marvel and DC and see what they're up to. I haven't really kept track of that.
24th Jul 2017, 1:01 PM #5
(-)_(.) kadaka!

Registration date: 30th Apr 2017
Pay to read like a subscription service? Nah, not unless you're insanely good.

But there are different models for getting paid from doing webcomics. Surprisingly, Wikipedia has a good entry on it.
24th Jul 2017, 7:01 PM #6
rd_inks

Registration date: 9th Jun 2017
Either ad-based or as others have said - commission/Patreon etc. But I feel like these work best with an already established fanbase to help spread the word/garner rep.

Instagram, Twitter and Facebook
"Making money with webcomics.", 25th Jul 2017, 1:53 AM #7
LindaComics78

Registration date: 1st May 2016
Thank you for all the replies.
11 days ago, 11:29 PM #8
AmeliaP

Registration date: 25th Jul 2017
There are some ways to be paid.

Tapastic has an intern program to bring artists to work in-house (California), they sent a message to me talking about it, but I'm pretty sure it's an open subject there. OR, still in Tapastic, you can beat their goals until some features. They pay some percentage from the ads and give you the opportunity to be "tipped" by readers.

Line Webtoon has a program named "challenge". When you beat their goals, they pay you to be exclusive to this hosting, from $100 to $2000. They are directly linked to Patreon, so you receive payments only by Patreon (which means... PayPal).

The third way is the printed version way. There are some publishers as Dark Horse, they have titles which were published online before they create a TPB from it. I heard about French publishers who are specialized on printing online published webcomics, but I don't remember its name right now.
Note for the third way: An agent will NOT help you with that. Agents are specialized to find you jobs in the industry, so it's better you deal with the publisher before bringing an agent to read the terms of contract.
Still, in printed form, you can print your own webcomics and try to sell them at Comic Cons (there are many of them, in many countries).
Again, in printed form, you have an Amazon or Lulu.com for printing on demand. People buy, they print and send the stuff to them.

There are other ways, like Google Ads, or merchandise (T-shirts, mugs, etc. but it isn't a good idea in the beginning).

I hope it helps! :)

8 days ago, 4:37 AM #9
Jean_Q_Citizen

Registration date: 21st Oct 2015
Hell, I'd be happy to break even after paying my artist. Good luck!
8 days ago, 5:25 PM #10
KarToon12

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2012
I think you'd have to make money via posting ads on your website. Otherwise, I'd do commissions or maybe set up a Patreon. I also sell my books at conventions and use Kablam's print-on-demand service. They have a sister site called "IndyPlanet" that you can sell your books on and set your own price. Lulu and Amazon have similar services, so you'd have to see what works best for you.
8 days ago, 5:40 PM #11
monkeyking
did not write shakespeare, but dope webcomics
Registration date: 18th Nov 2016
Pay to read, no.

Pay to support? I feel is the better option. Webcomics that are pay to read really bug me. It excludes a lot of potential readers and fanbase when you isolate it to that only.
Not everyone can afford paying. So for those readers who can offer you exposure in turn for finding more readers who could pay, it's just excluding them in the end and ends up more a loss for you.

I think the best financial option you can do is a free webcomic with a patreon that gives bonuses out to readers, early updates and prizes etc to give them benefits to just reading a comic anyone else could be.

I'm making 50 bucks a month on patreon and i'm only just through the prologue of my comic.
I offer early updates, sketches wips and secrets for patrons only and I also do sketches for my patrons if they request it.

But people who like your work will support it if they like what they've seen. Pay to read doesn't sound like something that'd attract me at all.
8 days ago, 5:43 PM #12
rd_inks

Only through the prologue and all that? That's awesome - how do you balance it all/handle the workload?

8 days ago, 5:58 PM #13
monkeyking
did not write shakespeare, but dope webcomics
Registration date: 18th Nov 2016
Maybe it's because I do smaller updates one day per week?
So, short pages but it gives me room to keep peoples attention through art and manage offering little bonuses to make up for slow pacing.

Once a month I'll make like a patron post offering free sketches to patrons, they can p much request anything along my commission rules.
(due to time / carpal tunnel i can't give out free sketches to just anyone.)

I think when people consider financially supporting your comic is when they see a lot of potential and you've had a lot of exposure.
So like, nothings happened in my comic yet but people see a lot of potential and they want to see where it goes maybe?

And-- i've had exposure through a test version of my comic that got a lot further into the plot, but it was lazily drawn sketches at the time. But people liked the concept and wanted to see it in full color, were aware i would need financial support to do said project and were aware there were benefits to supporting said project and things they could personally get out of it as individuals. Knowing what the moneys going towards and knowing what to expect kind of thing.
8 days ago, 6:12 PM #14
rd_inks

Ah right I get ya. Thanks for the tips - much appreciated :)

Forum > Introductions > Making money with webcomics.
Pages: [1]