Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - DNA Origins...

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > DNA Origins...
Pages: [1]

"DNA Origins...", 9th Aug 2017, 1:18 AM #1
ChristianRepass
📖
Registration date: 6th Apr 2017
Has anyone else done a test with Ancestry.com where they spit in a tube and they determine where your ancestors were from? If you have, would you like to share your results?

I've done it myself, so here's my results...

9th Aug 2017, 1:55 AM #2
Product Placement

Registration date: 15th May 2011
I don't need no silly ancestry checker thingy that costs money. I have this!

Although I do admit that I have been curious to try the genealogy test that the National Geographic sponsored. It was some heavy duty experiment where they collected data across the world, to study mitochondrial DNA, in order to get conclusive data on ancestral human migration patterns. As an added bonus, they compare the results to genetic data they have on the Neanderthal (people of European and Asian ancestry will most likely carry around 1-2% relation to them, while people of African ancestry likely will not, which supports the theory of interbreeding).
13th Aug 2017, 12:25 AM #3
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
I wouldn't be sure, but I reckon based on my distant relatives I know of that it would be something like this:

Great Britain: 40% (mostly my mum's side)
India?: 1% maybe (my mum's grandad was believed to have had a distant ancestor who was, even though all my family are white and I'm very pale)
Ireland: 30%
Northern Europe: 25% (where at least half of my dad's side descended from)
Southern Europe: 4%

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
13th Aug 2017, 12:38 AM #4
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
I've been meaning to do that for a while now, I just completely forgot about it.

Thanks for reminding me!
Latest Update:  September 19, 2017
13th Aug 2017, 1:13 AM #5
Fabian W.
it feels so good
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
In my case the result would probably be quite interesting...
13th Aug 2017, 6:37 AM #6
Jessie Blue

Registration date: 9th Feb 2015
I was more curious to do the DNA spit thing before I got my records unsealed, I was adopted as a baby and never knew anything. I'm pretty dang white but was told growing up I was "part Indian", but they didn't know what tribe or how much. Now I've actually found my birth relatives and finally got confirmation that I'm about 1/16th Cherokee, the rest being English and Scottish, a bit of Irish thrown in.
I feel bad for the things I missed out on, more than just general stuff but also about being Cherokee and losing a part that has already suffered so much loss. On my mother's side it's English traced back to the pilgrims, my father's side is the one with the Indian blood and records are lost from before the Trail of Tears. I don't have my great-great-grandmother's name, she is only listed as "Cherokee Woman". Nobody in the family still speaks the language but I've taken an online course and man is Tsalagi a complicated language.
Has anyone else looked for their roots and then been motivated to like learn a craft or language because of it?